Author Topic: Masks and Kumoricon  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Chek

• Chibi
    • Cheklov's Stupidblog
Masks and Kumoricon
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:15:34 pm »
Masks might be an understatement in this instance, but the question still stands.

I am working under the assumption that the "no masks worn in con-space" rule will continue to stand for 2012. My question is this: In a situation with a mascot style suit, where getting into and out of it is a bit of a trial, how many angles does your face need to be visible from? Say, if you build a costume where when not posing, your face was visible from the front, though the mouth of the costume, would something like that be allowed?

Obviously a handler would be involved to assist with the aspects like navigating a crowd with literal tunnel vision, but I'm just curious about how visible and specifically how visible from how many angles the actual costume-wearer's face needs to be.

The answer to this question is going to massively impact how costume contruction goes for me, so if someone has a definitive answer, I would desperately, desperately love to know it.

Thank you!

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
Re: Masks and Kumoricon
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
This is one of the rules that bug me, and I know that nothing can really be done about it. For saftey reasons, you have to be able to see someone's face to identify them, but at the same time many costumes can't be made without having a 'mask' of some sort and dressing up is one of the biggest parts of con. Add to that the fact that face paint can be just as hard to see through, and the rule bugs me even more.

I know last year someone was told that they couldn't even wear their head for pictures within the hotels and would have to go outside every time someone wanted a pic, or just miss out on it happening.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:11:19 am »
I heard it was only in the lobby that masks were required to be removed.

I believe the idea is that it is so the security cameras get a good look at you in case you commit a crime so you can be tracked down. I would be interested to know if that would still be required if you can see the full face like... lets say it's a helmet made completely of clear plastic just as an example or maybe there is a view port large enough to see the face through.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:08 am »
If you avoid(or take off the mask in) the tiled area in the Hilton front desk area to the coffee bar area masks should be fine in the rest of the hotel. It is more a thing for the hotel than for us. Some miscommunication happened on this last year and we are trying to make that better.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:05 am »
I guess that makes me feel better.  I would hate to have to remove my Desert Punk helmet everytime I came inside for an event.  :)