Author Topic: Pokemon Tournament 2012?  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
Pokemon Tournament 2012?
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »
Last year a Pokemon tournament was not able to be launched  :'(
Maybe this year?  I looked at the proposed tournament rules for last year, and they look fine:

--------------------
Overview
Platform: Nintendo DS
Game: Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version
EDIT: Fourth generation games (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver) are now accepted as well.
Battle Style: 3v3 singles, autolevel to level 50, Wonder Launcher off
Bracket: Double elimination
Maximum number of entrants: 32

Requirements
Each player must bring their own:
System: DS original / DS Lite / DSi / DSi XL / 3DS
Game: A retail copy of one of the Pokemon games (generations four to five, as mentioned above) NO flashcarts allowed!

Banned Pokémon
Arceus, Blaziken (with Speed Boost only), Celebi, Darkrai, Deoxys (all formes), Dialga, Garchomp, Genesect, Giratina (all formes), Groudon, Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Keldeo, Kyogre, Kyurem, Lugia, Manaphy, Meloetta, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Phione, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin (all formes), Victini, Zekrom

* Italicized Pokemon are ones that the game does not ban automatically. However, they are not to be used in this tournament.
** If you are familiar with the competitive metagame, then the Pokemon that are underlined are normally allowed, but they are automatically banned in the game, meaning that you will not be able to use them.

Banned Moves
Double Team, Minimize, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, V-Create

Banned Abilities
Moody and any unreleased Dream World ability

Banned Items
Brightpowder, Lax Incense, Soul Dew

Battle Clauses
Species clause: No two Pokémon of the same species may be used on the team. However, two Pokémon from the same evolutionary line is fine. For example, you may not have two Bulbasaur on your team, but you may have both a Bulbasaur and a Venusaur.
Item clause: No two Pokemon on your team can be holding the same item.
Evasion clause: Moves and items that boost your Pokémon’s evasion stat are banned. This includes the moves Double Team and Minimize, and the items Brightpowder and Lax Incense.
Sleep clause: No more than one Pokémon may be put to sleep on your opponent’s team at the same time.
OHKO clause: No one hit knockout moves may be used. This includes the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold.
Self KO clause: If both players’ last Pokémon are knocked due to Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song; the player who used the move is considered to have lost. If both players’ last Pokémon are knocked out due to a Pokémon using a recoil move and KOing the opponent's Pokémon, the player who used the recoil move is considered to have won.

Details
•   Battles will be initiated between two DS systems via local wireless.
•   Players are to head to the second floor of any Pokémon Center and enter the Union Room by talking to the lady at the very left.
•   Once inside the Union Room, find your assigned battle partner and start a Flat Battle.
•   Players are to bring a full team of six Pokémon, but only three will be used in battle.
•   A preview of your opponent’s team will be shown to you before the battle; during this time both players will select the Pokémon to be used in battle.
•   All Pokémon above level 50 on your team will be autoleved to 50 for the duration of the battle; Pokémon that are below level 50 will not be autoleveled.
•   Players are allowed to change the Pokémon on their team inbetween matches.
•   Team checks may be done randomly to check the legality of your Pokémon.
•   Pokémon found to have illegal stats/abilities/movesets will result in the player being disqualified from the tournament.
•   If, during the battle, you have found that your opponent has violated any of the rules, immediately report the problem. The person found to have violated the rules may be asked to change his or her team, or, under certain circumstances, be disqualified.
•   Tournament rules are subject to change.

EDIT: Pokemon obtained in a non "legit" fashion (legit meaning caught/bred in-game without assistance of any editing devices such as Action Replay or PokeGen), may be allowed to participate under ONE CONDITION:

The attributes of the hacked Pokemon must be attainable without the use of editing devices.

This means that if you use Pokemon that you got using an editing device, they will NOT be allowed to have stats/movesets/abilities that legit versions could not.  In short, they must be legal, if they are not legit.  If you do use hacked Pokemon, you must disclose this information before entering the tournament.  Hacked Pokemon will be inspected for legality.  Impossible stats/movesets/abilities are categorized as illegal, and players that possess them are subject to immediate disqualification.

--------------------------------

Perhaps this year, the idea of a Pokemon tournament will fare better than the last...

EDIT: I was not able to get the application in for making this an official event in time.  But do not lose hope!  Just because it won't be on the programming pamphlet, doesn't mean we can't gather in the gaming hall and do it anyways.  When would be the best day and time, though, THAT'S the question now...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:28:52 pm by Pixie »
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline AmbiguousFeline

• Cabbit
Re: Pokemon Tournament 2012?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:14:47 pm »
I think that sounds like a great idea! I'm surprised no one else has commented on this post yet - is there still a chance to make this work? I know lots of people bring their DSs to Kumoricon, and I'm sure there are plenty of Pokémon games too!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:36:28 pm by AmbiguousFeline »
--
Kumoricon 2013 will be the 7th convention I've attended
Current Cosplay Plan:
Gardenia from Pokemon
Plain Jane from Homestuck
Fem!Haruka from Free!

Offline Shenkkazoo

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:16 pm »
I would love to attend this!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:10 pm »
Don't forget to have two tournaments for 4th and 5th gens, since they're not compatable but enough people play 4th gen still that it would be valid to have a tournament for it.

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »
I have edited the opening post to accept the fourth generation games in the tournament, as well as "legal, but hacked" Pokemon.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline lady_lapras

• Oni
    • Check us out on Facebook!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »
Hey there! Just to let everyone, there will be organized Pokemon tournaments this year! (For the trading card and video games) We're running a booth for Pokemon and will have VGC tournaments running all weekend! We'll be focusing mostly on 5th gen but if enough people show up with 4th gen games we'll be able to organize a tournament for that too! If anyone has questions feel free to ask :D

Offline Randomman29

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:30:48 pm »
I know it's late to offer but I do have a few shiny Rayquaza's to offer as prizes or if someone would want them the Hydreigon's from last year too.
I'll play pokemon with anyone at anytime, my FC for HG, Slag: 2021 5546 4058, email me at: random_man2789@yahoo.com