Author Topic: Cosplaying staff members??!!  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplaying staff members??!!
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:27:49 am »
Ok, so here's my dilemma, and I'm sure other staff members have faced it....

Ohh mee oh my what to do about cosplaying??!!

I haven't gone one year without cosplaying, but I've been debating weather I should this year or not. I definitely don't want to cosplay while I'm, "on the clock" but what about after? When I have free time I just want to go and enjoy the convention, not spend 1-2 hours getting dressed.

So, what do people suggest? Schoolgirl cosplays? Other simple cosplays? Maybe just something to participate in the culture like a nice summer kimono or anime t-shirt?? And what have other staff members out there done about cosplaying?!

READYYYY.... DISCUSS!!!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Re: Cosplaying staff members??!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »
You don't have to, by any means... but if you want to cosplay on the clock, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. A lot of staff members cosplay. :)

(It is good to wear a comfortable cosplay if you have to do a lot of running around, but at least at info booth we tend to stay in one spot.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:01:19 pm by @random »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:15 am »
As David said it's not prohibited from cosplaying while on duty, the only thing we ask is people don't have their prop weapons with them while on shift. It is also highly recommended that your cosplay not be hard to move in or uncomfortable. Other than that have fun!
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:07 pm »
I know it's not prohibited, I was just wondering what other staff members out there do. Because, as you said, the cosplay shouldn't be hard to move in or anything like that, so I was hoping to see what other staff members out there do.  ;D

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:55:20 am »
It comfort is important, but also where you working too what's your position?
like when doing VIP check in I would wear my cooking mama which is comfy and looks kinda maidy
Tho this last con yeah comfort, but I was also really preggers
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline The_Emo_Schemer

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:52:41 pm »
I cosplayed on clock all the time. It also helps people remember you because you stand out for that certain cosplay. That happened to me at Sak last year.
2012 Kumoricon Cosplay
Fire Nation Disguise Suki -A:TLAB
Lenalee Lee - D.Gray-man
Sasuke - Brave 10
Yuffie Kisaragi
Sailor Moon

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:54 am »
I've cosplayed every KCon I've staffed at except for '06 and '10.  In some ways, I even tried to incorporate my cosplays into my job, such as in '09 when I was Bunnygirl Mikuru, carrying around a sign advertising the Charity Auction.  That was fun...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:06:02 am »
^ That does sound awesome, wish I'd seen it. ^_^

For myself, I've cosplayed Hatori Sohma a couple of times on duty; I might dig him up again this year if I can commission a wig from someone.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:39:00 am »
It comfort is important, but also where you working too what's your position?
like when doing VIP check in I would wear my cooking mama which is comfy and looks kinda maidy
Tho this last con yeah comfort, but I was also really preggers

Comfort is very important because it's not just stressful being staff, it's literal work.
Wear something you can walk up stairs in.
Wear something you can carry boxes in.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:01:23 pm »
I cosplay the whole convention - whether I'm "actively" being cosplay manager, or partying because I'm "done". It doesn't really matter. The most important things to consider are based upon what your staff position is and what you feel comfortable in. If you can function fine in a Maid outfit, then wear that while performing staff duties. The main thing I've found is that costumes with large or elaborate props can get in the way of certain staffing duties, so just leave the props in your room if you are on duty and will have to actually use your hands to do things.

Always be sure that your costume is reasonably comfortable, and this includes shoes - yes, those heels look fantastic, but can you do all the running around that your position requires while wearing them? You want to be wearing something that doesn't restrict your ability to do your job. Depending upon what that is, you may have to do a simplified costume, or may be able to wear something more elaborate. Also keep in mind that if your costume requires a mask or headpiece of some sort, it should not interfere with your ability to see what you need to see to be able to complete your duties. Since there's plenty of time pre-convention, you can try on some of your costumes and pretend to do some of the things you know you'll have to do on your staff job. If you find the costume gets in your way, then it's not the right thing to wear while on duty. If you find it does not get in the way, then you're fine wearing it while on duty.  :)