Author Topic: Hotels Packed??  (Read 205358 times)

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
Hotels Packed??
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »
So I was just on expedia and was shocked that the Hilton had NO rooms available for the dates of k-con and the Red Lion had the best rooms already booked up. Normally we come to this problem about June, and yet its only the first week of January. Just saying, CRAZY
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
Re: Hotels Packed??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:26:43 pm »
*does spit take*

WHAT THE HELL!? r u serious?

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:18 pm »
Oh my! >_<
And so it begins...

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »
Yes, INSANE! I do wonder if it is a technical glitch though but dayum!

Our awesome K-con is THAT epic!  ;D
And so it begins...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 10:13:11 pm »
Well, from hat I understand of the hotel contract negotiations, we are allowed a certain percentage of the rooms, guaranteed (or something to that effect).  Those links are probably only referring to the other rooms.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »
Well, from hat I understand of the hotel contract negotiations, we are allowed a certain percentage of the rooms, guaranteed (or something to that effect).  Those links are probably only referring to the other rooms.

yeah, i know that. but still, to fill up so fast. weird...
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:28:39 am »
UHHHHHHHH............. >.>

I'm going to be sleeping in a car!!!! T_______T

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 06:14:58 am »
Kimiski - if you don't mind rooming with fellow staff, I'm pretty sure the (discounted) staff rooms have already been reserved by our intrepid Facilities Liaison.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:34 am »
I called the hotel today to book my room after reading this post, calling both directly it appears they have rooms available still w/ the kumo rate.
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline hyperkineticenergy

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »
Sooo, hopefully I can clear up some panic here :).
Last year, I booked my hotel in...July? June? Something like that anyway. I tried to book it online but it wouldn't work because (I think...) Kumoricon books a certain amount of rooms at both hotels for the weekend for people. When you try to book normally, it doesn't work because K-con has reserved the rooms and there's no way to tell the difference between con goers and non-con-goers. It actually makes sense. So, basically, you have to book it a different way, like by telephone or something like that.
I hoped this helped and I mayyyyy be wrong as this is what I think.

~Jay
Kcon2012:Umbreon, Romano, Shizuo, and Izaya

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »
not packed at all i booked my room online just fine
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Snorlax

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
The problem the OP encountered booking a room is due to the use of Expedia.  Expedia is a service used by hotels to fill rooms that they expect will go unfilled.  With Kumoricon happening, there really isn't an expectation of unfilled rooms for those dates.  So just because Expedia or some other discount travel site doesn't have room nights available doesn't mean the hotels are full.  It just means that you can't book a room through the discount travel sites.  The best way to book a room for an event such as Kumoricon will always be as a member of the group, especially as you may need to identify yourself as member of the group to even be able to book a room.

Full instructions on booking your rooms for 2012 should be up on the website soon.

On a similar topic, booking your room for a convention outside of the group rate can be harmful to the convention itself.  I can go into more detail if there is an overwhelming demand for it.
2015-17 Chair
2013-14 General Manager
2011-12 Facilities Liaison
2010 Tabletop Gaming Manager
2008-09 Tabletop Gaming Coordinator
2007 Gaming Staff

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:39:39 pm »
The problem the OP encountered booking a room is due to the use of Expedia.  Expedia is a service used by hotels to fill rooms that they expect will go unfilled.  With Kumoricon happening, there really isn't an expectation of unfilled rooms for those dates.  So just because Expedia or some other discount travel site doesn't have room nights available doesn't mean the hotels are full.  It just means that you can't book a room through the discount travel sites.  The best way to book a room for an event such as Kumoricon will always be as a member of the group, especially as you may need to identify yourself as member of the group to even be able to book a room.

Full instructions on booking your rooms for 2012 should be up on the website soon.

On a similar topic, booking your room for a convention outside of the group rate can be harmful to the convention itself.  I can go into more detail if there is an overwhelming demand for it.

Let me know as soon you can get more information! Cuz I don't know if I should use the website to get a room or reserving a hotel room at the hotel it'self would work!!

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 11:09:59 pm »
is it possible to alter your reservation to include the discount after you researve. it doesnt matter money wise to me but i wanna make sure the con doesnt become "harmed " if a mutitude of people reasurve before discounts are posted
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Snorlax

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:40:47 am »
Quote from: Manganix78
Let me know as soon you can get more information! Cuz I don't know if I should use the website to get a room or reserving a hotel room at the hotel it'self would work!!

If you don't want to wait to book your room, I would suggest calling either hotel and booking your room by phone.  Just make sure to tell them you are booking a room for Kumoricon so that you get the group rate (same rates as last year).

Quote from: chelseahavoc
is it possible to alter your reservation to include the discount after you researve. it doesnt matter money wise to me but i wanna make sure the con doesnt become "harmed " if a mutitude of people reasurve before discounts are posted

I think that would depend on how you made your reservation.  If you booked directly with either hotel, then it is possible to change rates, but if you booked through a third party (like Expedia) then it may not be possible depending on the terms of your reservation.  In that case, your best bet would be to call the hotel and ask.

My previous statement on "harming" the convention was more melodramatic than I intended, so I will roughly explain more of what I meant with an example.

The Hilton has about 200 rooms, or 600 room nights, available.  In return letting us use their facilities at a reduced cost for our convention as well as provide members of our group with a discounted price for staying there, we have agreed that our attendees will book 80% of those available room nights.  If our attendees only book 70% of the available room nights, then Kumoricon is financially responsible for the other 10% that we agreed to fill.  This is all fairly standard procedure.

However, a potential problem arises when room nights are booked by people attending the convention, but are not booked as part of the group, as would be the case when using discount travel sites.  In this case their room nights don't count towards our quota of 80% because the hotel cannot identify the reservation as belonging to the group.  Depending on the number of reservations of this sort, it is possible that it would end hurting the convention financially, but a substantial number of people would have to do so in order for that to happen.

Another minor drawback to booking through a discount travel site is that the hotels can't give us statistical information about those reservations which we use when determining our needs for future conventions.
2015-17 Chair
2013-14 General Manager
2007 Gaming Staff

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:50 am »
Quote from: Manganix78

If you don't want to wait to book your room, I would suggest calling either hotel and booking your room by phone.  Just make sure to tell them you are booking a room for Kumoricon so that you get the group rate (same rates as last year).

Quote from: chelseahavoc

I think that would depend on how you made your reservation.  If you booked directly with either hotel, then it is possible to change rates, but if you booked through a third party (like Expedia) then it may not be possible depending on the terms of your reservation.  In that case, your best bet would be to call the hotel and ask.

My previous statement on "harming" the convention was more melodramatic than I intended, so I will roughly explain more of what I meant with an example.

The Hilton has about 200 rooms, or 600 room nights, available.  In return letting us use their facilities at a reduced cost for our convention as well as provide members of our group with a discounted price for staying there, we have agreed that our attendees will book 80% of those available room nights.  If our attendees only book 70% of the available room nights, then Kumoricon is financially responsible for the other 10% that we agreed to fill.  This is all fairly standard procedure.

However, a potential problem arises when room nights are booked by people attending the convention, but are not booked as part of the group, as would be the case when using discount travel sites.  In this case their room nights don't count towards our quota of 80% because the hotel cannot identify the reservation as belonging to the group.  Depending on the number of reservations of this sort, it is possible that it would end hurting the convention financially, but a substantial number of people would have to do so in order for that to happen.

Another minor drawback to booking through a discount travel site is that the hotels can't give us statistical information about those reservations which we use when determining our needs for future conventions.

Wait......wha? I didn't get any of that........But I do know that I'm going to get a room at the Red Lion this year.

Had a bad misunderstanding with one of the other hotels with reservations last year. So I don't know about this......

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:04:56 am »
I'm also curious as to how booking outside the group impacts the convention.  I usually find rooms cheaper than whatever group rates are available, and when it comes to Con, I can be a truly dedicated penny-pincher.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:13 am »

Just curious, do you know if the convention has had to pay for rooms in the past because we didn't meet the required percentage?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 01:10:39 pm »
But its okay to book a room and then call and add the group rate code once its available?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Zukimune

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »
man, last year i got my room in the summer... luckly i booked a room in december this time.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:02 pm »
Basically it works like this:

The Hotel is giving Kumoricon a cheaper than normal rate on meeting space (We pay for Meeting Space and Set-up, Banquet fees, all of that) because we are going to be giving them a LOT of business.

As the Facilities Liaison said, if we sell our contracted % of rooms (which, is somewhere around 80% I guess?) then Kumoricon does not have to pay for the additional rooms that did not get sold in our block (like, empty rooms).

We just want to make sure that EVERYONE who intends to stay at the Hilton on Labor Day Weekend, is there for Kumoricon and is listed as part of the Kumoricon "block". That way it makes sure we meet our quota and everyone gets the best rate.

This is really much more important for smaller or more specific conventions, things like MEWcon or OryCon or GameStorm (although I'd say less on GameStorm). These conventions have a pretty stable attendance, but not a lot over what they estimate they need to get the best rate on space, so they really do need EVERYONE who attends to get a hotel room. At Kumoricon, we really need people to book under the hotels and rates that specify Kumoricon for a couple of reasons:

#1 it ensures we get good deals and the best rates for you
#2 it shows the local metro area that Kumoricon is a big money maker for the city (and therefore worth paying attention to)
#3 it lets you be close to the convention

Hope that helps to make sense of the whole "Why con's need you to book hotel rooms" thing. Kumoricon may be big now with it's 4k attendance, but we still need to be financially sound and use our money wisely, so the benefits of supporting the convention by supporting the hotels we use are really big!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 10:33:15 am »
That all makes sense... and while I booked through a third-party site last year, I still called to tell them I was with K-Con.

How do staff book a room?  Is there a set number set aside, or should I be worried about being able to get a room at the Hilton this year (ie: should I try to book now)?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:55 am »
That all makes sense... and while I booked through a third-party site last year, I still called to tell them I was with K-Con.

How do staff book a room?  Is there a set number set aside, or should I be worried about being able to get a room at the Hilton this year (ie: should I try to book now)?

I also be interested in the answer to this.  ;D

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:11 am »
I refreshed my question at the staff meeting yesterday, and it was answered thus:
You can book your room through the Hilton now.  Tell them you're with Kumoricon.  Then email facilities (hotel@kumoricon.org) with your confirmation, and he'll update your reservation once the staff codes are available (nothing is charged to your card until the weekend of the event).  As long as you're registered/paid staff with a confirmation for the Hilton (there aren't any special rates for the Red Lion), you should be good to go.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
So... staff can't stay at the Red Lion?

I stayed at Red Lion last year and like it better, wanted to stay there again. Which would be cheaper? Red Lion without staff discount or Hilton with staff discount?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:27:24 am by kimiski »

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 11:45:05 am »
That's a good question...  Not really sure.  I wanted to stay at the Hilton this year regardless..  I felt too out of the action last year (more into panels than I am purchasing).

From the information I've gathered, it seems the staff discount would be better at the Hilton than no discount would be at the Red Lion.  Knowing what we paid last year, the current K-con rate at the Hilton is a little more (by about $15/night) than we paid last year at the Red Lion (through a discount site).  However, this is the K-con rate, not the staff rate, which should be lower.  From what I heard at the staff meeting, it should be quite a bit lower (about $25/night cheaper than the current K-con rate).  If that's true, you'd save a net of about $10 per night by staying at the Hilton under the staff rate than you would at the Red Lion.  All this, of course, assumes that the price quoted to me for staff is what it is, and that you could get the same price at the Red Lion that we did last year.  Those are some big ifs.  Otherwise, the figures could be closer, or slightly flipped.

My advice: book something now, to make sure you get a room.  If a $10/night swing doesn't phase you, book where you want to stay.  Otherwise, if you think you might want the Hilton, book something now, as I know it will book up faster than the Red Lion.  You have up until three days prior to the event to cancel your reservation (though, of course, please be considerate of other con-goers also booking rooms :D).

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 07:08:19 pm »
Hmmm.... gah. ><

Any directors out there in forum land know anything for sure on this?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 07:20:38 pm »
To clarify a couple of things:

• Staff can stay at the Red Lion. But there is no special staff discount. It is the attendee rate.
  • Last year, the staff rate at the Hilton was a little cheaper than the attendee rate at the Red Lion (which was cheaper than the attendee rate at the Hilton). That does not mean it will be the same this year. We aren't quite ready to announce the rates for this year just yet.

Please hold on for a couple of weeks--this info is coming soon!
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »
Ok.

Aren't the Hilton rooms all booked though?
And does the room have to be in my name to get the discount? My boyfriend was going to book it for us.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:06 pm »
No, they are not full. Sorry, I would have re-emphasized it, but it was explained above. It only appears full to booking services, like Expedia, because most of the hotel has been set aside for Kumoricon and is thus unavailable to those booking services. It may even appear full if searching on the Hilton website without the Kumoricon code (which hasn't been released yet).

But the Kumoricon room block is definitely not full, and there will be time for any early watchers to register their rooms without a mad scramble. (It may well easily fill up quite a bit before the con, but it's not full now.)

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 05:52:06 am »
You may need to register the room in your name, as the Hilton gets a list of registered staff (which is then used to apply your staff rate).

The rooms are not full.. just call them and tell them you're with Kumoricon :)

Offline Snorlax

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »
The room does not have to be booked under your name, but please make sure that all staff staying in the room are listed as guests staying in the room.

I ask this because 1) I need to be able to confirm there are actually staff in the room to hand out the staff rate, and 2) in the event that we are close to running out of staff nights I can hand them out in as fair a manner as possible.  This usually has something to do with the staff to attendee ratio in the room.

EDIT: To further clarify: The staff rate is not automatically applied, but applied by myself on case by case basis.  We do not provide the hotels with a complete lists of what staff are staying in which rooms.  We do tell the Hilton which rooms to apply the staff rate to.

Not all staff request the staff rate, nor do all staff stay at the Hilton, and general staff are not required to do either.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:02:46 pm by Snorlax »
2015-17 Chair
2013-14 General Manager
2007 Gaming Staff

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 09:42:22 pm »
well i tried calling hilton's phone number and it transfered to a call center agent i believe-- saying that it's fully booked.

any ideas how i can directly contact hilton so i can place a reservation there?

i already have a room reserved in red lion but i want it in hilton ;A;
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 08:36:03 pm »
So.... I e-mailed Hilton and asked them about parking. They said, " Since our parking lot will be used for Kumoricon events, and the other lots are not run by the hotel, we won’t be the ones handling any of those arrangements, it will go directly through your Kumoricon team."

What does this mean for parking? What did people who kept a car with them during the convention do about parking and price? I've only ever been dropped off, but this year we need to keep a vehicle with us.

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »
So.... I e-mailed Hilton and asked them about parking. They said, " Since our parking lot will be used for Kumoricon events, and the other lots are not run by the hotel, we won’t be the ones handling any of those arrangements, it will go directly through your Kumoricon team."

What does this mean for parking? What did people who kept a car with them during the convention do about parking and price? I've only ever been dropped off, but this year we need to keep a vehicle with us.

i didn't stay at the hilton last year, but rather the red lion, and they just let us park there no charge. i would imagine that you could probably park ur car at the red lion given that u can't at the Hilton?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 04:10:46 am »
But still, didn't you have to register your vehicle with your name during check in.

izamor

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:16 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:52:17 pm by izamor »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
^ Ugh, I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:39 pm »
Wait, I'm confused. Are all the rooms already booked??
Or do you have to tell them you're there for the con??
Ohgod I hope they're not booked ahhh freaking out.
Kumori-con 2013 cosplay plans:
Day zero: Sollux Captor
Day one: Meenah peixes
Day two: Fem! Grand highblood.
Day three: We leave at about 1:30 pm, and it's a long drive home, so no cosplay on day three. Too much make up to take on and off, haha.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »
There should be no reason for the hotel to packed yet. This happens every year around this time, and the thing is the Kumoricon block of rooms has not been released yet, so people are getting the "no rooms available" message because it is not yet possible to book from the Kumoricon block. Once the Kumoricon group code is released and the rooms become available, then voila! Insta-room availability! This usually happens between April and May. So, just give them time and they will get the code out and we can all get our rooms.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 05:50:31 pm »
Oh, okay! Good! I was scared there for a second! XD
Day three: We leave at about 1:30 pm, and it's a long drive home, so no cosplay on day three. Too much make up to take on and off, haha.

Offline XxBelovedxSoubixX

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:20 pm »
If you call them they will let you book under kumori-con. I booked my room last month under it and I did the same thing last year before the code came out and they just apply it when it comes out.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:05 am »
If you call them they will let you book under kumori-con. I booked my room last month under it and I did the same thing last year before the code came out and they just apply it when it comes out.

wow-- when i called in there they said it's all booked-- and when i referred to kumoricon, the guy didnt seem to know what i was talking about DX
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »

wow-- when i called in there they said it's all booked-- and when i referred to kumoricon, the guy didnt seem to know what i was talking about DX
o.o Which one did you call? I booked mine at the Hilton but it was at least a month ago.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »

Maybe you got some one new I just made reservations no prob i used this number
1-360-993-4500

Offline LigerZeroLindsey

• Sailor Scout
    • Liger Zero Lindsey's Deviant Art
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 11:02:15 am »
I called the Red Lion yesterday and made a reservation no problem, they did not mention it being full for KumoriCon. I just mentioned it was for Kumori and they knew what I was talking about and have me the group rate and everything =]
2013 Costumes:
Liger Zero Panzer
Kuhori the Wolf
Tang the Fusky
Okami Amaterasu

Offline Riyuki

• Cabbit
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 05:16:10 pm »
I have no problem waiting for the group code to come out to book a room (don't know how many rooms we will need yet...) but does anyone know what the group rate is at the Red Lion and the Hilton respectively? I can't find the info anywhere.

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »
I have no problem waiting for the group code to come out to book a room (don't know how many rooms we will need yet...) but does anyone know what the group rate is at the Red Lion and the Hilton respectively? I can't find the info anywhere.
Yeah, seconding this. Three months isn't a ton of time, but it's still a little frustrating that "Full instructions on booking your rooms for 2012 should be up on the website soon" was said in January, and there still isn't anything up.

Also, the Hilton website says that they're all booked up during Kumoricon. Will registering with the con fix that, or are there truly no rooms left?
EDIT:
Hilton says "There are no rooms available for 01 Sep 2012 - 03 Sep 2012 at Hilton Vancouver Washington."
Red Lion says "We're sorry, there are no rooms available at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay for the dates you have requested."

So... are they both filled up then? Or is there something I'm missing?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:50:18 pm by Acheron »
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
Until we get the group code, the websites won't be able to detect that we are trying to book from the designated Kumoricon pool, so all it can tell us is that nothing is available.

And if this year is like all previous years, the Kumoricon rate should be 119.00 a night, at least for the Hilton.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »
Oh good, everyone else ran across this problem too. It was giving me panic attacks. O_O Will have to try calling, see if that gets me anywhere.
~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:05 am »
Oh good, everyone else ran across this problem too. It was giving me panic attacks. O_O Will have to try calling, see if that gets me anywhere.
I don't know about the Red Lion, but I called the Hilton and got a room very easily.

Oh, and unless the guy at the front desk totally scammed me, the group rate at the Hilton is $134 a night this year.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline kayu1111

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 11:48:35 am »
(editing this post) So I booked over the phone and it went just fine, they said the rate is $134/night. This is the right convention rate, right? If I find out someone else is getting a way cheaper rate I'm gonna be upset!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:17:45 pm by kayu1111 »
:: KumoriCon 2014 ::
Zenya (Sweet Pool)
Akira (Togainu no Chi)
Praxis (Starfighter)
Sabitsuki (.flow)
Kagura (Gintama)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:32 am »
I, too, am hoping to see the group code released soon. Or a way to register through the con website like last year. It was about April-May last year that the announcement was made, so any time now we should be getting the information we need to get our rooms the appropriate way.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline vampirek_yaoi

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 02:25:43 pm »
There is rooms available for Red Lion I just booked mine.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 01:40:46 pm »
Does anyone have any idea when the Kumoricon code will be up? I admit I'm kind of eager to get my room.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 03:25:19 pm »
Try calling them and telling them you will be there for the convention

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »
Just confirming, I haven't missed the hotel codes being released yet have I? Are we even doing Kumoricon group codes this year? I just want to make sure I'm not out of the loop. Things seem pretty silent around here, so I don't know if I've just missed something or what.

Basically, hotel codes? Yes? No?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 03:02:07 pm »
They should be up this week, if I understood correctly from Saturday's staff meeting. :)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 03:46:39 pm »
Thank you much, Random ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »
They should be up this week, if I understood correctly from Saturday's staff meeting. :)

Thanks for the information Random I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:03:46 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline Kerensky18

• Cabbit
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 11:30:53 am »
Any updates? It's getting closer and closer to con. ^^

Offline VictorianMess

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »
All you do is have to call and tell them you (and however many people are rooming with you) need a room for Kumori-con and they'll give you the discount. Although when we called yesterday the Red Lion was OVER booked so there are no rooms.
2014 cosplays

Sharon- Pandora Hearts
Seth- Trinity Blood

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »
That's like the back door method though. I am waiting for the front door to open, so to speak. I prefer to do it the official way, via group code. Just easier and less complicated that way. Less potentially problematic.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »
Agreed.

Offline Riyuki

• Cabbit
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:23 pm »
I wanted to wait for the group code too but it sounds like if we wait we risk not getting a room at all. We really wanted to stay at the Red Lion, and I'm kind of shocked if there are no rooms left and they haven't even released a group code yet! O.O

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2012, 10:20:26 pm »
I can't speak officially but I almost promise you the red lion still has rooms. Again, until the group code is released, I assume those sequestered rooms reserved for Kumoricon will be unavailable. So when you try to book without the code to access those rooms, you will only get the no room available message. Again, not positive, but it would be some unprecedented ball-dropping on kumoricon's part if there somehow ended up being no rooms and their group codes became useless before they were even released.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 10:50:21 pm »
ya know it might just be m,e but does anyone have a feeling of deja vu?
Like this conversation has happened before?
 ;)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »
It happens every year, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »
The more things change...the more they stay the same.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:28 am »
And here I am getting antsy. Half-way through May, it's getting hard to fight panic mode. Hotel code announcement soon?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »
I don't know much about a code, but  I've got my and my friend rooms. I think if you call them and get your rooms that way, tell them you are booking for kumoricon, you'll be fine! : )

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2012, 11:59:00 pm »
Is the web booking still not available? At the April 21st meeting, it was said they'd be up by mid week, and that'd be the same time the confirmation for reserving staff rooms would be mailed out, which is the thing I'm waiting for.

If the staff rate isn't going to make it cheaper than staying at the Red Lion without the staff rate, then I definitely want to try and get a room at the Red Lion. I like the rooms in that hotel 10X better.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:10:04 am by Kimiski »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:51 am »
I don't know what's going on,  :D I'm still expecting any day now for "the announcement" to be made about online booking through Kumoricon. Last year they introduced that great new feature of booking through the Kumoricon website, a really great advancement. I would expect that that wouldn't just be a one-year thing, but would continue in to this year, especially since we're at the same locations.

So I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting hoping my patience won't come back to bite me in the butt, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2012, 09:34:58 am »
You and me both EveofAbyss.

Offline Riyuki

• Cabbit
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »
Didn't want to wait any longer, called and booked. As a heads up to anyone, if you want to stay Monday night as well, the Red Lion has NO ROOMS. They have plenty for Fri-Sun. I ended up booking us with the Hilton because we wanted to stay Monday night. Not booking the Kumori block through Monday night wasn't very smart in my opinion. Many many people I know always stay the last night of con in the hotel.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2012, 08:13:17 am »
So, almost a month since there was mention of a possible update on the hotel booking front. Any word?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:54 am »
I wish I had better news, but I just took a gander at the minutes from the meeting last weekend and saw:

Still having problems getting hotel registration up online. However, can call hotel phone number listed on hotel contact page to book a Kumoricon room. Very hopefully, both online hotel registrations will be up very soon.

:-[

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2012, 11:49:14 am »
Guys... there was a news post last night:

http://www.kumoricon.org/?p=2030
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:50:29 am by JeffT »

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:40 am »
Awesome! :)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:54 pm »
Oh! Thank you very much then! I just wasn't paying attention then, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »
Can anyone here (who has booked already) tell me how much it is per night with Kumoricon Attendee rate at the Red Lion?

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »
At last.

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »
Hey all, just wanted to remind you that there are still rooms available at the Red Lion and Vancouver Hilton. If you head over to our location page; http://www.kumoricon.org/location, you'll find the information on booking rooms at the convention hotels.

If you have trouble getting hold of the Hilton via their website, call them and tell them you're attending Kumoricon, and they'll get you set up.

The Hilton's phone number is available on the location page as well, and they as of 20 minutes ago still do have rooms open.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:59:02 pm by kalagei »
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2012, 09:00:32 pm »
So would you advise waiting for the Hilton Internet reservations to go up? At this point does it seem like that will be opening up soon, or should I go the phone route? Just want to know if waiting for the internet reservations any longer would be ill-advised. Thanks for the help and effort, by the way. Much appreciated by everyone, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:01:59 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »
So would you advise waiting for the Hilton Internet reservations to go up? At this point does it seem like that will be opening up soon, or should I go the phone route? Just want to know if waiting for the internet reservations any longer would be ill-advised. Thanks for the help and effort, by the way. Much appreciated by everyone, I'm sure.

They should be soon, but if it were me, I'd just do it by phone and get it done.
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2012, 09:58:53 am »
Hotel reservations are up for the Hilton. I just checked and they still have rooms, so, if anyone else still hasn't booked, now is a good time to get that done.

And a massive thanks to the staff for putting up with my less-than-characteristic nagging. I do apologize for that.  ;)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:43 pm »
Just wondering, I always check the extras you can order for the room, where they have insanely expensive sodas and snacks and such, there are free add ons like towels and and pillows, and I always ALWAYS order extra towels and pillows, partly because I <3 plenty of pillows and you can never have enough towels at con

Does any one else take advantage of it?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »
I usually go for extra towels and pillows too. It's important when your head is as bowling-ballish as mine, lol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:32:51 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:34 pm »
I didn't know you could so that honestly. >.> We just always jacked some pool towels. xD Or brought our own extra.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2012, 08:10:36 am »
Well recently I talked to the folks at the Hilton and arranged my room for Kumoricon. So I'm all set and I can get back to my life.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »
For extra's I usually go to the front desk and ask for more pillows after I check in. Only because one time at a hotel everyone eases rooms were ready at 12 and we had to wait til 4 because we asked for extra pillows before hand. Now I'm just set in the habit.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »
and there is always

pillow fort!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:59:32 pm by superjaz »

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2012, 11:02:55 pm »
do hilton people actually accept people more than the capacity of the room? or do you guys just sneak them people in??
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:00:30 am by zenneth »

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2012, 09:50:57 pm »
Room stuffing is frowned upon by the con and the hotels, and it can be a cramped an un-enjoyable experience on top of being dangerous in hazardous situations. Keeping the cost of your room down is not worth being kicked out of con.

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »
Richie, thank you ohmygosh.
I really can't stress enough that room stacking is not worth the lower price. If you're not comfy at con you won't have much fun.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2012, 06:27:31 am »
Good point, =w=
I'm getting a room by myself tho since I don't wanna get all my stuff in the way of others

Offline Davence

• Cabbit
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:34 am »
How much are the rooms for us? i would need a 2 bed room

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »
How much are the rooms for us? i would need a 2 bed room

All the info is here: http://www.kumoricon.org/location

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2012, 01:37:05 pm »
I called last week and both hotels are completely booked. I had to get a room three blocks away. (They only had single bed rooms available. Sucks for the four of us.)

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2012, 01:39:59 pm »
I always forget to book my hotels 'til late... Gosh darn it xD
I like goats.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2012, 12:15:41 am »
i booked in red lion for myself... too lazy to change in hilton-- sadly, money is starting to become a factor =A=
i might ask for a room mate soon ghuuuuh

**planned to have a room for myself so that i wont get my armors and weapons in the way of others =w='

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2012, 08:35:27 pm »
I called last week and both hotels are completely booked. I had to get a room three blocks away. (They only had single bed rooms available. Sucks for the four of us.)

Called both hotels again and they have rooms left afterall. But get your reservations in now!

Offline KelTheBard

• Oni
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »
As of this afternoon:  Red Lion is full on single rooms, at least (I haven't checked larger room availability) but Hilton is still accepting reservations.  Just booked mine today.

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2012, 11:36:48 pm »
YUSSSS. Time to book~
I like goats.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:12 pm »
I just booked at the Hilton, though it says that all the double rooms are taken. I'm bringing an air mattress!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2012, 08:24:56 am »
Yup itsalways a good idea to double check. People book rooms for friends who cancel, or book at both and make up three mind later as to which hotel they want to stay at, so if the room you want us full call back check if there us Waiting list ( I feel like some hotels don't do then say, they just say
 Check back)

Offline Davence

• Cabbit
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »
Does anyone know if your credit card get charged immediately upon bookign the room, or is it only when u check in at the actual hotel do u get charged?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »
They don't charge your card until you check in (thankfully, haha).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline mizushimo

• Cabbit
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »

whelp, it's offical! Both hotels are booked up. Why did I wait until the last minute?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:33 pm »
You can always post an ad to see if anyone has a spare spot in their rooms. Most people usually have squeezing room (lawfully, of course, lol).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline mizushimo

• Cabbit
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »
Good idea.

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:05 pm »
 ??? Actually my friend booked a room last night at the Hilton with no problems, and it has a view of the park.
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com

Offline mizushimo

• Cabbit
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2012, 07:24:02 pm »
*sigh*, I guess I'll try reserving by phone in the morning. The website shows that there are no rooms available.

Offline sporkoon

• Chibi
    • Long neglected deviantart site
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:15 am »
I waited waaaay too long because I wasn't sure if I could make it this year.. We have to stay at Econo Lodge the 1st night and then we're switching to the Hilton for the last 2 nights -_- There were no rooms available for all 3 nights at either, or the Red Lion. At least we have a place to stay though! It's better than sleeping in the car like my friends were suggesting >_<
()()
(**)
(___)0
If love is blind, then I have 20/20 vision

Offline cosplayer1331

• Oni
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »
Both hotels are full! -officially freaking out- hopefully someone will cancel I need a room for Saterday night

Offline ElectricBlue42

• Oni
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
There are a few hotels that still have rooms available around the area, they're just not the main hotels. I know Comfort Inn, the Red Lion in Portland, and Hometown Suites all have rooms still available. Me and some friends just booked a room in The Portland Red Lion yesterday. It's a bit of a walking distance across the bridge to the convention but not unreasonable. There are also buses that go across the bridge between Portland and Vancouver (The busses are C-Tran). You can look for more hotels around the area by going to Google Maps and typing in the search bar "hotels around Vancouver WA." There's a bunch of little red dots were hotels are. Good luck on your searches guys!

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:55 pm »
It's funny cause I posted about this topic back in the beginning of the year when I thought it was crazy to be booking up so fast. We booked back in Jan (cause we're nerds), but the websites have been showing full since like Feb.  ???   
Also, love that the hotels are full, but we don't have a tracker on the Kcon website this yr to tell us how many ppl r in attendance. Therefore we can only guess... Show of hands?

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »
We booked with Oxford Suites last year and will probably do the same this year. It's only about a mile commute and usually we eat out on the way to/from the convention.
And so it begins...

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »
It's funny cause I posted about this topic back in the beginning of the year when I thought it was crazy to be booking up so fast. We booked back in Jan (cause we're nerds), but the websites have been showing full since like Feb.  ???

The websites would show as full because they were only searching rooms not in the Kumoricon block, which almost all the hotel rooms are. But the Kumoricon rooms only filled up much later, not in February.

Also, love that the hotels are full, but we don't have a tracker on the Kcon website this yr to tell us how many ppl r in attendance. Therefore we can only guess... Show of hands?

The year it started was because we feared that we might reach cap through pre-registrations alone, and it was encourage people to pre-register early. That's unlikely to happen this year and it was extra work to update the counter so we took it down. But we might bring it back sometime.

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2012, 11:32:18 pm »
ah, i wasn't complaining if that's how it sounded. i know that you guys work ur... butts off to keep everything up to date and get everything ready (especially since we r down to the wire). <3
i hope we get lotsa ppl coming this yr, kinda sounds like it due to the hotels (and surrounding ones) getting pretty full.

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2012, 01:18:02 pm »
Hey, does anyone remember if the red lion has refrigerators in the rooms? I think I remember they did, but it's not listed on Expedia as an amenity...

Offline cosplayer1331

• Oni
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2012, 09:09:52 am »
I finally got my room so excited! I love it when other people have last minute cancellations! ;D