Author Topic: Scary Kumoricon-Related Incidents  (Read 9588 times)

Offline mightycrouton

• Sailor Scout
    • http://myspace.com/jolivet
Scary Kumoricon-Related Incidents
« on: September 07, 2005, 12:37:04 pm »
We all know what we enjoyed at Kumoricon, but what were the things that were kind of scary? That made you feel awkward or uncomfortable?

For me, it was this guy who was following me around about three feet behind all of Sunday and Monday. What creeped me out more was that he was taking my picture when I wasn't in costume, when I wasn't paying attention. (I was, but I tried to ignore him)

On Monday, I finally found and befriended Chris. Tried to keep him by my side to push away freaky-stalker-with-camera. No one wants to mess with a big mountain of a black man.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 12:45:05 pm »
Man,  you totally should have said something to a staff member.  Or maybe hotel security.  It's not fair that you were made so uncomfortable!!!  I wish I'd been around, I've got no issue telling people to cock off XD
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline mightycrouton

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 12:54:14 pm »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"
Man,  you totally should have said something to a staff member.  Or maybe hotel security.  It's not fair that you were made so uncomfortable!!!  I wish I'd been around, I've got no issue telling people to cock off XD

It was my first con, so I didn't really know what to do. That and I am a wuss when it comes to confrontation.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 01:02:37 pm »
Yeah staff totally wants to know about stuff like that. But finding and making friends with a great big guy works also.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 01:21:36 pm »
Yah, if you ever have something like that happen agina, just find someone with a red sash on, they will take care of it.  It be their job, yo.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 03:57:11 pm »
Quote from: "BigGuy"
Yeah staff totally wants to know about stuff like that. But finding and making friends with a great big guy works also.

Like you, perhaps? ;)

Yeah, Crouton, please tell somebody on staff next time something like that happens. And if he happened to hear you complaining, he might leave you alone without another word. One would hope.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline mightycrouton

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 04:06:32 pm »
@Radien

I'll keep that in mind next time. It was my first con experience, so I wasn't sure what to do.

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 04:28:20 pm »
Eek.  I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with creepy stalker people.  

I really didn't have anyone make me feel uncomfortable at all, but I did see some things here and there that made me raise an eyebrow.

There was a guy who attempted to steal a pocky sign from one of the rooms, so I talked to a staff member about it and they got it back from him.

Also, there were two very very drunk men who I don't think were actually a part of the con, but stumbled past me and a staff member and went into a bathroom together...  and stayed in there a little too long...  but they didn't harass or bother anyone while they passed me on their way to the bathroom on on the way back, so I just stayed out of their way.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 04:53:59 pm »
Yes.  Please, next year if this occurs again please inform staff that this has occured.  For easy to find staff members go to either the registration/info desk or talk to anyone wearing either a red Haori or red sash (both bearing the Kumoricon legend in Kanji) and they will be more then happy to take down the information and deal with the situation.  If you would Private Message me a description of the person that did this I mightbe able to solve the problem.

Jess Shelton, Head of Security
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 04:56:33 pm »
>>;;;

wow creepy stalker dude... I'm sorry... My worst one was some girl coming up to me in a really small maids dress and telling methat it was her work clothes...

she seemed harmless but it was a little freaky none the less...

Edit: oh and some guy who I don't think was part of the con (didn't have a badge) held up a sign saying "hobo hugs" and looked right at me like he was suggesting i gave him a hug... O_o ... as well as the various homeless people who asked me an my friends for change...

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 05:01:37 pm »
The drunk hobo on the max hitting on my friend. It scared her so bad she was shaking and we all had to get off and wait for the next one. He was sooo freaky... O_o

Offline tsukara

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 05:20:47 pm »
And then there was the drunk guy trying to get into the con that they eventually arrested. Actually, this was the same guy that, after stalking around some of my friends at Lloyd Center, turned around and started to, uh...well :oops: . XP So not cool.

I'm glad they got him...

That really wasn't the greatest part of Portland to be in, though. Especially after dark. But, hey, it was a good hotel. ^_^ What more can we ask?
Mooinkster

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 05:27:45 pm »
xD I'm sure it was but I'm too poor to stay in the hotel and have to leave before dark since I have/had to go back all the way to Forest Grove every day

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 05:36:59 pm »
*glomps crouton*  Next con we'll be looking out for you!

Oh man, riding the max was . . . interesting indeed!  i was really worried that I would get kicked off the train since I was carrying that steel pipe, but I smiled at people and acted friendly so they wouldn't be alarmed at the blood-covered nurse.

It was pretty fun to walk around the mall dressed like that XD  It was SO funny on Monday when we went to lunch, Arlene and co. were getting coffee and I was just standing in Starbucks.  This guy walked past, glanced over, and he LITERALLY backtracked just to make sure he wasn't seeing things.  HILARIOUS!!!

And as a plus, bums and other annoyances do NOT bother people who are carrying around 3/4" steel pipes over their shoulders

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 05:45:54 pm »
@Legato
that reminds me of back to kumori 04 when I was confused for some elite martial artist on my way home on two different trips O_o.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 05:46:29 pm »
Hmmm... It wasn't scary as much as I was kind of just shocked by it...
I was standing next to some people next to the registration booth on Sunday night I think... Maybe Saturday Night... I don't remember what I was doing and this staff member just comes over to me and he looks like he's going to give me a hug, so I hold out my arms and I give him a hug... o_o; But he picks me up! And I dunno about you, but I don't like being picked up (PANDA! KURI-TAN! >_<).
I dunno who he was either! o_o; I never got his name but I saw on his badge that he was staff... or I think he was? o_o; He was behind the registration booth anyway...

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 08:02:59 pm »
A Luffy in the glomp line picked up my friend dressed as Ichigo and her skirt went up, ALMOST to the point of a panty shot but not quite XD And he picked up my witch hunter Robin friend and twirled her around which prolly made her feel great as she was the oldest of us but also the shortest xD

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 02:11:48 am »
stalking is never ok.
sometimes, however, it's not actually someone's intent. like maybe they think they know someone from somewhere, or just want to get a picture of a cool cosplay outfit because they love the canonic character or want to dress like that for their next con. but they should talk demurely to the person of interest and ask permission to be in personal space, take a picture....especially to physically lift someone off the ground! especially if a minor.

yes the hotel was great, and one aspect that was of value was its easy access via public transit. but of course, public transit, proximity to a park and a mall, etc., bring their own potential problems from folks unrelated to, and perhaps shocked by or intrigued by, the con and its interesting visuals.

i do not know what the other red item is mentioned besides a red sash?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 02:29:20 pm »
Quote from: "Misuteru"

Edit: oh and some guy who I don't think was part of the con (didn't have a badge) held up a sign saying "hobo hugs" and looked right at me like he was suggesting i gave him a hug... O_o ... as well as the various homeless people who asked me an my friends for change...

I actually hugged that dude in the park across the street.  *L*

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 02:40:40 pm »
Quote from: "mightycrouton"
@Radien

I'll keep that in mind next time. It was my first con experience, so I wasn't sure what to do.

No problem. I didn't mean for it to be criticism; I'm just saying you shouldn't have to deal with that sort of thing without our help. :)

You did a great job getting into the con groove; I wouldn't have guessed it was your first.

Quote from: "tsukara"
That really wasn't the greatest part of Portland to be in, though. Especially after dark. But, hey, it was a good hotel. ^_^ What more can we ask?

Quite true. The hotel was awesome in my opinion; the best I've ever been too... the only problem is that the surrounding area is not very minor-friendly. I took some people who were over 18 but not 21 yet out to look for a place to eat after midnight, and we couldn't find any sit-down restaurant that allowed minors. ¬_¬; Supposedly there is one that serves food to minors until 4am, but we never found it, and even the local Denny's didn't stay open after midnight on Labor Day.

This has led me to devise a theory about otaku: we're like gremlins. Don't feed us after midnight, or else plushies will start sprouting and jumping violently from our bodies.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline SenahbirdR

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 03:02:06 pm »
Yeah, that was my biggest issue about the area. Food after Midnight. I am a night owl and I tend to get hungery at 2 in the morning. That Denny's closed at 1 normally.... What!? I thought those were all nighters! Yeah, the Fast Food was open, but drive through only and the drivers were asleep! And agree, I am old enough to enter no minor zones but since I do not drink I do not feel comfortable eating in a place surrounded by drunk strangers.

I had no problems with bums or people frightening me in the middle of my nighttime walks. Could be because I top over 6' and was wearing headphones and moving at double speed... I wished I had cosplayed this year though. Best i did was wear an orange wig for a few hours, mwahaha I looked silly. Anyone know a place to find a decent red trenchcoat? I am thinking of Vash for Sakuracon, I need to come out of my shell!
Knight of Nereis
Bard of Maefwain

Offline Zen

• Cabbit
    • Teh Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 04:44:03 pm »
I've actually heard from a couple friends who've visited portland that that area of the city isn't the best area particularly after dark. Infact, now keep this in mind as I cannot attest to it as I was not there, but a friend of mine driving in that area when he was visiting portland once said that he saw some dude walking around with what looked like a very non-conceled, very visible shotgun. >_>
"The World... Yes! Seek freedom, and your world will stand stretched out before your eyes. If the endless dream guides your spirits. Conquer it! Bear Conviction behind your flag!"

-Former Pirate King, Gol D. Roger

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
Don't forget to ask...
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 05:40:12 pm »
Next year, if you want to make a food run, drop by the RPG room.  I usually hang there at the cons I go to and always am willing to give rides to get food.  There are places to eat, but you really need a car to get to them.   (I don't want to walk around that area at night either.)

This is the first anime con I went to, mostly I've done gaming cons and Orycon.  So I was surprised by the number of cosplay people out there.  Now I'm stuck in a bind, I want to go to Sakuracon, but it conflicts with GameStorm.  :(

Now  all I have to do is decide what costume to make for next year.
Mr_Phelps
 :D
Avatar is "Othar Tryggvassen" from GirlGeniusOnline.net

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 06:27:06 pm »
I suggest trying one of these if you're nervous about going out at night in that area:

I brought some food with me ahead of time.  Some granola bars, some Fish crackers, some Cup Ramens, stuff that takes little time to prepare and doesn't spoil.  One tip I remember someone pointing out was the coffee maker is a very good way to boil water.  Also, in the case with the Doubletree hotel, I bought a Sandwich from Subway/Quizno's ahead of time, went up to the hotel, and used the ice bucket as a small refrigerator.  (Place food in bucket, take bag, fill bag with ice, place ice on top of food in bucket)

Offline SentientSoul

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 07:44:49 pm »
(POSSIBLY OFFENSIVE OR SENSITIVE TO SOME PEOPLE: NO OFFENSE INTENDED -- IT IS ALSO SPECULATION AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE)

When I went to get tapes for the camcorder I was using (it's a friend's, not mine) ... after I had left FYE at Lloyd Center, I was fiddling with the camera, trying to get it to work.  It's a finicky camera, so I had to fight with it a bit from time to time.  Anyway, on my way out (this was in the parking garage) this security guard came up to me and asked me if I was taping anything.  I wasn't recording anything ... I said to him that I was having trouble getting the camera to work, which was a fact, and I explained that I was a convention attendee.  Then he was like "Oh, okay ..."

Here's what came to my mind:

He may have mistaken me for being an Islamic extremist terrorist because I have an olive complexion and dark hair.   And I had a video camera so that probably meant to him that I was taping the flow of people in and out of a public place in preparation for an attack or something.  

First off, my ethnic ancestry is Italian and Puerto Rican.  And I am Roman Catholic, not Muslim.  But I look very Mediterranean.  I have been mistaken for Greek or Middle Eastern; but I am neither of those.

Number two, the security guard perhaps racially/ethnically discriminated against Muslims themselves.  My speculation for this is that I think he assumed a guy with dark hair and an olive complexion holding a video camera was a Muslim terrorist and Islam = evil.  Islam itself is not a bad religion; it's actually a way of life based on good and noble prinicples (it's just that people like the terrorists are perverting it into something very bad and uncharacteristic and giving it a bad rep).  He also made the mistake of assuming that I was something I'm not.

This experience wasn't so much scary as it was insulting; insulting to me and insulting to good, upstanding, law-abiding Muslims (even though I am not Muslim) ... but in another way it was very scary because it's discrimination and it feels like I have to live in fear.  Heightened vigilance screws everybody up.  Hightened vigilance makes everybody else heighten their vigilance and I feel I can't be myself at times; I feel I must distance myself from people and the government as much as possible because people and institutions seem like they will do anything they can to get you in trouble.  America has become a culture of fear in some respects.  I've also been stereotyped for being in the mafia just because of my painfully obvious Italian heritage.   It's so messed up that people do this kind of thing ... we're all freaking human beings here!

Or then again, maybe I'm wrong about all this.  I won't deny that I'm wrong if I am.

Oh well ... I didn't let that experience ruin my time at the con.  Aside from that little fiasco, there were really no hiccups that I can think of.

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 08:02:13 pm »
Quote from: "SentientSoul"
(POSSIBLY OFFENSIVE OR SENSITIVE TO SOME PEOPLE: NO OFFENSE INTENDED -- IT IS ALSO SPECULATION AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE)

When I went to get tapes for the camcorder I was using (it's a friend's, not mine) ... after I had left FYE at Lloyd Center, I was fiddling with the camera, trying to get it to work.  It's a finicky camera, so I had to fight with it a bit from time to time.  Anyway, on my way out (this was in the parking garage) this security guard came up to me and asked me if I was taping anything.  I wasn't recording anything ... I said to him that I was having trouble getting the camera to work, which was a fact, and I explained that I was a convention attendee.  Then he was like "Oh, okay ..."

Here's what came to my mind:

He may have mistaken me for being an Islamic extremist terrorist because I have an olive complexion and dark hair.   And I had a video camera so that probably meant to him that I was taping the flow of people in and out of a public place in preparation for an attack or something.  

First off, my ethnic ancestry is Italian and Puerto Rican.  And I am Roman Catholic, not Muslim.  But I look very Mediterranean.  I have been mistaken for Greek or Middle Eastern; but I am neither of those.

Number two, the security guard perhaps racially/ethnically discriminated against Muslims themselves.  My speculation for this is that I think he assumed a guy with dark hair and an olive complexion holding a video camera was a Muslim terrorist and Islam = evil.  Islam itself is not a bad religion; it's actually a way of life based on good and noble prinicples (it's just that people like the terrorists are perverting it into something very bad and uncharacteristic and giving it a bad rep).  He also made the mistake of assuming that I was something I'm not.

This experience wasn't so much scary as it was insulting; insulting to me and insulting to good, upstanding, law-abiding Muslims (even though I am not Muslim) ... but in another way it was very scary because it's discrimination and it feels like I have to live in fear.  Heightened vigilance screws everybody up.  Hightened vigilance makes everybody else heighten their vigilance and I feel I can't be myself at times; I feel I must distance myself from people and the government as much as possible because people and institutions seem like they will do anything they can to get you in trouble.  America has become a culture of fear in some respects.  I've also been stereotyped for being in the mafia just because of my painfully obvious Italian heritage.   It's so messed up that people do this kind of thing ... we're all freaking human beings here!

Or then again, maybe I'm wrong about all this.  I won't deny that I'm wrong if I am.

Oh well ... I didn't let that experience ruin my time at the con.  Aside from that little fiasco, there were really no hiccups that I can think of.

>>;;; I think you just might be reading into it a little too much.... maybe they were just asking? I dunno, I just don't think it's a good idea to assume someone was being racist by the work of one's own imagination...

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 08:59:20 pm »
Really long quotes make Guspasho sad. Use "@ SentientSoul" or nothing at all if your post directly follows the otherwise quoted one.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 09:09:08 pm »
@SentientSoul
I kinda agree with Misuteru here.  I know it isn't the same thing, but when I was in Japan I always wondered if people reacted certain ways because I was a foreigner but also had to tell myself that can't always be the case.

Anyway, my impression after reading your post relates to a news article I remember watching earlier this summer.  Sometimes people would go into malls carrying a bag with a video camera to record glimpses up a ladies skirt.  That's been a problem everywhere from what I remember hearing.  He may have just been a little curious about the camera and wanted to check but, due to your reaction and answer, figured there was no problem.
That or he was just curious what was going on.

That's just my theory.  I tend to be an optimist though.

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 09:14:41 pm »
Quote from: "Zen"
I've actually heard from a couple friends who've visited portland that that area of the city isn't the best area particularly after dark. Infact, now keep this in mind as I cannot attest to it as I was not there, but a friend of mine driving in that area when he was visiting portland once said that he saw some dude walking around with what looked like a very non-conceled, very visible shotgun. >_>

I walked around the area at night both with people, and alone on a few occassions.  I never had any problems or saw anything strange.  I believe that in any case, the best idea no matter where you are is to use the buddy system and not walk around strange places on your own.  But if you have to be alone in a strange city after dark, Portland's not a terrible place to be.

I grew up about an hour or so south of Detroit...  I don't want to be alone in Detroit in the day time, let alone in the middle of the night.  By comparison, Portland is warm and cuddly, even in the areas that aren't so nice.  *L*  But I can see, especially if Portland's the biggest Metropolitan area you've ever been to, how it can be intimidating.

I randomly hugged some guy on the street with a sign that said "Dirty Bums want hugs too".  Wouldn't have done that in many other cities.

Offline SentientSoul

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 09:27:25 pm »
@ Negima

I hadn't heard that one about the peeking up girls' skirts.  And you were right; there was no problem between me and the security guard.  I dunno ... I guess I'm just paranoid sometimes.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2005, 10:14:08 pm »
@ misuteru

There have always been rules in Portland about video-taing in malls and other public places.  Many a person has been kicked out, despite ethnicity.

Offline ambergen87

• Sailor Scout
Portlander.
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 02:10:29 pm »
I have lived in Portland/Portland metro area all my life. I went out with someone after dark for safety reasons. Even though I have lived here for a long time I'm always cautious but not in fear of my life. I didn't stray further than 7 blocks. I thought that as long I could see the hotel I knew where I was. I also had a map of the area with me at all times.

@Negima

Good ideas. I used the refridgerator idea at the con. I'll bring more snacks for my friends next year.
Randomness is good for the soul.

The swag lady.

Cosplay for Kumoricon 2011:
Saturday: Lolita
Sunday: Seychelles
Monday: Catgirl Schoolgirl

Friday: Random yukata girl
Sat: Don't know
Sun: Don't know
Mon: Raine from Final Fantasy VIII