Author Topic: Non-Video Gaming  (Read 8809 times)

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.mphpress.com
Non-Video Gaming
« on: May 21, 2004, 08:17:30 pm »
Do you ahve a corrdinator yet for non-video gaming (board games, RPGs, etc.)? I have some expertise in this field and, if I am welcome at the conevntion,  might be able to help.
Michael Hopcroft Press
http://www.mphpress.com

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 03:46:15 am »
Gosh! There'd better be! I was in a L5R game last year that rocked for the hour it lasted! I also got a kick out of learning Munchkin.

I've heard there's going to be a cosplay game of some kind as well, so yeah, there'll be gaming outside the video game room.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 12:43:26 pm »
no we do not, and yes, we could probably use one.  if you can make it to the general meeting tomorrow as posted on the front page, that would do wonders for you being our choice... if not, uhhh... pm me and qevil.  scratch that, pm modab as he's programming chair.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 01:16:09 pm »
actually, i had also posted a thread related to this topic. yesterday, i put up promo material for our con at games domain (18th and chambers in eugene). there were about 8 people there, having a magic: the gathering tourney. a couple of the guys were enthused about the con, and asked if we would be having a magic: the gathering tourney there. i replied that, while i wasn't aware of one currently planned, that it would be awesome if they could register on the kumoricon forum and propose one, maybe even offer to helm it. in the thread on this subject i posted yesterday, i listed the store contact info. if anyone moves forward on this, could you please let the store know? thanks.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 04:11:54 pm »
i dont wanna run into a bunch of everquest addicts beating each other with foam swords

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 06:25:06 pm »
gaack! evercrack! *runs and hides*
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 02:29:08 pm »
I wanted to talek to the RPG coordinator -- she can e-mail me.

Also, i wanted to remind everyone that there will be a gaming convention in San Francisco that i will be attending on the same weekend as fanime. Although it may not generate as much results as I would like, I would like some flyers to put out.

Finally, given the overall hostility I seem to see on this thread I'm wondering if my being at the convention is such a good idea. I'm an RPG publisher by trade, and it appears some people here don't like RPG publishers very much. Would you all rather I did something like stay home? I am notbanned for life from Kumoricon as far as I know -- maybe that should change?
Michael Hopcroft Press

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 03:11:20 pm »
i'm very confused. what are you interpreting as hostility? my joke about running and hiding from everquest, which i referred to as evercrack? i hope that wasn't discomfitting to you. it was just a joke, based on the fact that i have several friends who tend to ignore things going on in real life while they are sucked into that addictive game--and evercrack is their own name for that phenomenon. one friend of mine lost his girlfriend, then his job, and then, therefore, his apartment, to his addiction to everquest.

however, many people who game are able to do so responsibly, and just have intellectually stimulating and creative fun with it. i personally think that there would be a very positive response to having gaming publishers and their products present.

hoping to help you feel welcome,
ellen.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 08:29:40 pm »
I'm an RPG publisher by trade

books,video games, board games um what kind of publisher?

the only kind of non video games im against is that live action rpg crap where there beating each other with foam sword everythign else is fine by me

i just dont wanna see adults beating each other with foam crap like kids

Offline Michael_Hopcroft

• Sailor Scout
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 08:44:59 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
i'm very confused. what are you interpreting as hostility? my joke about running and hiding from everquest, which i referred to as evercrack? i hope that wasn't discomfitting to you. it was just a joke, based on the fact that i have several friends who tend to ignore things going on in real life while they are sucked into that addictive game--and evercrack is their own name for that phenomenon. one friend of mine lost his girlfriend, then his job, and then, therefore, his apartment, to his addiction to everquest.

however, many people who game are able to do so responsibly, and just have intellectually stimulating and creative fun with it. i personally think that there would be a very positive response to having gaming publishers and their products present.

hoping to help you feel welcome,

Let me assure yuou you are not half as confused as I am. When I get on line and people tell me they don;t want games at their conevtnion, I gte a bit huffy, being in the business.

Some suggestions for "pic\-up" agmes to asks omeone to bring to the conevtnion.

1. Ninja Burger: the Card Game. Ninja are cool -- ninja delivering food is just plan weird.
2. Minchkin Fu: Although more Hong kong than Anime in favlro, ti;s still loads of fun as you kill things and take their stuff.
3. Girl Genius: Phil and Kaja Foglio are two of the most giofted comic artists working in America today, and Girl Genius is one of their most vidily imagined series to date. The game is pure genius too; I'm not good at it, but boy did I have a lot of fun being the first player knocked out! If  you didn;t want to read the comic before playing this gamw, you definitely will afterwards. Do not think about monkeys![/i]
Michael Hopcroft Press

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 08:50:22 pm »
aye, no harm or hostility meant to you sir, some of us simply have lost friends or family members to everquest or the other MMORPG games out there.  everyone is welcome to their opinion and I gaurentee U that U are welcome at the Con.  

Im MORE then sure ull find a large crowd of people who love RPG's along with the few jaded inbetween.  :) as as they say If you like something u gotta take the good with the bad.  hope ur feeling welcome and hope to see u at the con, maybe swap some RPG creation Ideas.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 08:20:42 am »
unfortunately it might be a bit difficult to get ahold of our RPG mistress at this point... but when she does come available, we'll post her contact information under the contact link in the main navigation bar.  

While we are definately trying to do all we can, we are unfortunately limited by the space we have available this year.  That's not only going to limit the number of people we can let into the con, but also it will limit the events we can put on (they kinda go hand and hand).  

As I said, we'll do all we can, and if necessary, we'll section off somewhere for--as I have been calling it--analog gaming... fear not... it's on our minds.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 09:24:28 pm »
Regarding your RPG Mistress, your best bet to get ahold of her other than her email (which she hasn't been responding to much/at all lately either, and since she rarely checks the forums) is, oddly enough, through me (though I've not heard a lot from her the last few days either).  

In seeing her a bit at our Sunday game, actually, we did discuss some of the stuff we'll be trying to run.  The bad news is that I'm not certain we'll have the cosplay LARP we were considering doing ready to go - there's way too much work required to make that one tolerable at the moment.  The good news is that by the look of it there may be several sitdown RPGs going, as well as other such things.

L5R is a definite go for the con this year at the very least (Nyco - the RPG ops person, will be running that).   Feng Shui and BESM (D20) are also likely to be available, and the aforementioned Munchkin Fu (if not some/all the other Munchkins) and Ninja Burger will both be available (These are all games in my possession, and since I'm helping Nyco out...).

If it's like it was last year, there were a couple other groups that just brought their stuff, stole a table, and went to town as well.

And regarding...

Quote from: "zenix"
i dont wanna run into a bunch of everquest addicts beating each other with foam swords

Hey now, not everyone who does such foam swordfighting (aka - boffing) is an Everquest addict... I have never played Everquest (nor do I intend to), but I enjoyed the boffing scene while I was involved in it.  Nonetheless, no, there is no plan for allowing that as far as I am aware... I just have this hunch that the hotel staff would REALLY not like us very much if we did such things.

Anyways, that's what I know!

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 10:19:36 am »
i know but its fun to blame stuff on evercrack

Tetris

Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 01:17:59 pm »
Well probobly be playing BESM D20 in our hotel room in the late hours of night. People could join us if they with. not too many though only about 2 or 3 more. We would never get anywhere with a huge group.

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 09:09:53 pm »
[/quote]Well probobly be playing BESM D20 in our hotel room in the late hours of night.

There are two, offcial games of BESM that are being ran during the con, one is a magical girl/boy game on saturday, and one is a mech game on sunday.

There is also likely a Slayers BESM game going on in the rpg room. Along with two games of Legends of the Five Rings (one on Sat, one on Sun). Although space in all these games is limited, so sign up, and do so early. Sign up will outside the RPG room (Salmon room on the 3rd floor) just before the end of opening ceremonies.

You guys are welcome to used to RPG room for any and all role play games, regardless of the hour, the RPG room is open the entire time of the con for rpg's and ccg's.

Brenda
RPG coordinator
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Sarutobi_Asuma

• Sailor Scout
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 11:29:40 pm »
Ok everyone, I have an EXTREMELY important question that when answered can make or break my good time at the con....

....what is Ninja Burger????

....do ninjas like to play this game???

....is it imperative as a ninja to know the ins and outs of said game???
*is willing to ninja duel anyone who challenges*

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 11:38:47 pm »
Please visit http://www.ninjaburger.com for the answer.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Sarutobi_Asuma

• Sailor Scout
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »
thanks alot  :wink:

EDIT:  at a first glance at this site....

...its hard to tell what it is and if its real...

*ponders*
*is willing to ninja duel anyone who challenges*

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 02:07:41 pm »
Ninja burger is a card game much like munchkin. Basicaly the premisis is that you and the other players are ninja's working for ninja burger. You each get a chracter and stat and you must go on missions to deliver your tasty foods to people gathering things to help you along the way. It is quite entertaining and simple to play.

Yes, ninja's love to play this game.

No, you don't technicaly have to know all the ins and outs of this game, but it looks good on a resume.

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Non-Video Gaming
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 02:08:50 pm »
Ninja Burger is the friggin' bomb.  Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less or we commit seppukku.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=