Author Topic: Too many panels for one fandom?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
Too many panels for one fandom?
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »
(Sorry if this doesn't go here.)

But I was starting to wonder....

Do you ever think they are too many panels for one fandom?
Like, its fine if they are two or three... But I think four and more is a bit much.

Here is were I am getting at. (This is my example.) This year there seems to be ALOT of hetalia panels... (Don't get me wrong, I like Hetalia)
But There are two panels I am holding, and I think 3 more hetalia related panels... Thats 5... (I think there may be more, but I am not sure.)
But even as a fan of this.... It just seems like way to much!

With out flaming any fandoms, what do you think about this? Like do you some times get annoyed by how many panels there are for one fandom? Do you think there should be a limit? Why or why not?

Also, have you seen this at other cons?

I hope this all makes sence.
Thank you!
 ~Rozen.

(Not trying to like, get rules added to kumoricon. I just want to know were people stand on this.)
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
Re: Too many panels for one fandom?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:27:11 pm »
I understand where you are coming from there are a lot of hetalia pannels this year and I a fan think it is way too much.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »
Okay, thank god... It makes me happy I dont feel so alone now. XD

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
This is the first time for me at a con that there seems to be way too many panels for a fandom.
It's kinda sad because it puts us Hetalia fans in a worse light than we are in.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:38:59 pm »
This is the first time for me at a con that there seems to be way too many panels for a fandom.
It's kinda sad because it puts us Hetalia fans in a worse light than we are in.

Yeah.... But I think that would go for any fan in fandom.. I feel like the fandom in a way is being put on the spot light.

Like what if there were 6 death note panels, or pokemon?

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »
I highly agree with this.  (Every time I log onto the forums, I look to see if there is another hetalia panel added because of how many there are... ^^;; )

Not saying this is strictly about hetalia, just saying panels in general should have a limit. 1-2 Panels of each fandom should do, in my opinion. It just....butchers the fandom more if we over use it.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 12:13:24 am »
I completely agree. I'm, personally, not at all a fan of Hetalia so constantly seeing new panel threads popping up around the forums gets kind of irritating after awhile. Of course if it was just one, or two, I wouldn't mind at all (every fandom has the right to show their love for the show/game/whatever they love) it's just getting a little crazy this year.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 12:29:47 am »
(Yay, I'm not alone on this. xD)

As much as I like Hetalia, I do think the number of panels this year is a bit overwhelming for just one fandom. Maybe if the leaders of said panels were to combine forces with each other, they could narrow the amount of panels down to a couple and thus, fixing the problem. :3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 12:32:59 am »
Something to note is that, if there's too much of something that seems similar to those that schedule the panels, some things will be denied.  I applied to have two stand-up comedy panels last year, and only one got approved, simply because the two were pretty much the same thing, except that one was adult-level.  I'd be surprised if all of the Hetalia panel ideas were to be approved...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »
Something to note is that, if there's too much of something that seems similar to those that schedule the panels, some things will be denied.  I applied to have two stand-up comedy panels last year, and only one got approved, simply because the two were pretty much the same thing, except that one was adult-level.  I'd be surprised if all of the Hetalia panel ideas were to be approved...

Oh my goodness! I forgot all about this! Thank god. There are also just alot of Hetalia threads on here to. And even I find that irritating...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »
You're welcome!

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:41 pm »
i'm not really a fan of Hetalia (my roommate is), but i can respect it. i totally agree though, having so many panels about one anime is a little overkill. i'm glad to hear though that they may not all be approved for that very reason. i'm hoping this year brings a wide variety!
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:41:52 pm »
One thing I can say about the idea of 'combining' panels: if the panels are about different things, or, for instance, the panelists don't get along with each other, that's not a good idea.

Also, as far as I know, there were only 4 panels for hetalia in the works? I know my cosplay group is hosting 2 (and another non-hetalia related panel).  One of them could just as easily become a general panel (the pajama party). Do you think it's fair to the panelists to say "hey, you'll have to hold off on your wonderful new idea until next year because we have too many hetalia fans with wonderful new ideas and the will to host panels for them this year"? I know that people who aren't fans of hetalia (and even I) could be annoyed that there are 'too many' hetalia topics....or not enough panels and panelists for their own or their other fandoms. But it's not fair to punish the panelists that are stepping up to host something in a specific fandom just because you think there are too many people 'into' it on a specific year.

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 11:17:00 pm »
Trust me; it is fair.  I've hosted at least one panel every year since '08.  If every panel submission were accepted, we'd have several times more the panels than we had last year.  Where will we put them all?  There would have to be a lot of cuts in time lengths, dividing rooms up into even smaller sections that would make panels unbearable, and things like that.  When panel submissions are looked at, there are many things that are considered, and similarity is one of the factors that determine whether something is approved or not.

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:24:35 pm »
I understand that from a staff perspective, but I meant is it fair to tell them 'no, don't submit this panel for consideration because we have too many panels of [insert series here] already'? I don't think so. I understand if the staff has to choose between different panels, they'll choose the ones that might be more popular, or choose to have only one or two panels from a certain series in a year. But I still think every panelists deserves their chance to try and host the panel they want to hold, the chance to submit the form so their panel can be reviewed and chosen or not chosen on it's own merits, regardless of the end result after the staff decision.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:25:56 pm by hikaru_maxwell »

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 10:51:36 am »
As far as I know, nobody has said that.  If anybody has, then that's there problem.  Apply and let the Programming department decide what gets approved, but be prepared for a possible rejection, because they do happen.

Offline yelloweyedowl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »
I agree that there were a lot of Hetalia panels last year, but there were still a lot of people who didn't get into them because the rooms were too small for the demand. I was doing line control for one of Hetalia panels and felt really bad when we had to turn away 50-100 people who had been waiting in line at least 45 minutes.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 07:20:03 pm »
I agree that there were a lot of Hetalia panels last year, but there were still a lot of people who didn't get into them because the rooms were too small for the demand. I was doing line control for one of Hetalia panels and felt really bad when we had to turn away 50-100 people who had been waiting in line at least 45 minutes.
God we felt so bad... Thats why this year we re trying to do two panels... but then there are other panels.. and yeah.....

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:17 am »
Maybe it's more of an issue of talking to the other people who are planning a panel and seeing what they'll be doing so you can work together so the panel count doesn't get too high for one fandom?

I also recall seeing something about Hetalia all ages and then Hetalia+18 in the book this last year. Which for that fandom, I think is needed. But if it can be attempted, not two Hetalia+18 panels in one night...

I'm not in the Hetalia fandom or anything and frankly, the fans that I've seen (not spoken to, too shy for that) have scared me off of it. It's great that you're all so gun-ho for the ...comic...anime... whatever it is. Really. I enjoy seeing that, and if that is what gets approved to be in the convention because there was lack of other panel submissions, then yay!~

If anything else, I'd see if you could suggest a bigger room to house your panels maybe? I remember the "Whose Line" panels had pretty big rooms....
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)