Author Topic: Harry Potter vs Twilight  (Read 6690 times)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Harry Potter vs Twilight
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:44:15 am »
Alright first off, i am a huge fan of both series, so do not bash either one. This is for people who, like me, want to know why you like one or the other. Or why you dont like either. This is to be a discussion, not a war. No name calling (twifags, potheads, ect.), no battles (heated arguements should only be roughly hot, do not boil it over the top), do not post anything from youtube about robert pattenson.  Simple enough, yea? Lets do this.

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
Re: Harry Potter vs Twilight
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:29:38 am »
I have read both series, and I prefer Harry Potter by far. I feel that Twilight is a good read, but it is not good literature. I also feel that Twilight has made standards for men impossible. Not only is Edward Cullen intelligent, handsome, multilingual, well-read, plays and writes music, physically strong, a gentleman, a rogue, doting, and has a great family, he can also grant eternal youth. I mean...is this what women are looking for? This is not human. It is a fantasy, and I'm really concerned about what Twilight may be doing to young minds.

Furthermore, I like that Harry Potter is political. It has so many more complex and thoughtful themes than Twilight. The whole thing with Hermione and the House Elves speaks volumes about civil rights. Additionally, the whole thing with The Quibbler being sort of a "tabloid" type newspaper, where no one pays attention to it at all and calls it crazy (and they read the mainstream newspaper, I forgot what it's called), but then when Voldemort takes over, everyone starts reading The Quibbler...calling it much  more trustworthy. I find this really interesting. This reminds me of Alex Jones. I don't endorse all (or even most) of the guy's ideas, but he has been right about a lot of things...vaccines, raw milk, he predicted that Rick Perry would run for president (months before it happened) when Rick Perry promised he wasn't going to run, and he predicted the defaults in Europe. Same thing with Gerald Celente. I didn't really catch on to the Quibbler analogy until lately, when I started getting really upset with how the mainstream media has been treating Ron Paul, and started finding out why.

In any event, I don't know that I would call Harry Potter good literature, exactly, but I feel that it's a more relevant work, and that it is better written. But, as I said, I also really enjoyed Twilight. It was a page-turner, I'll give it that.
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:33:12 am »
Oh, yes, and as I'm sure you've heard, Robert Pattinson has openly stated that he would rather play Cedric Diggory than Edward Cullen.

-Tite Kubo

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:47:48 am »
Yes...that i know, which is why i stated for people not to post anything about robert pattenson. Hes a good actor, but an arse in person. I dont approve of him at all. Though, in Remember Me, he was amazing. But! Back on topic. With the fantasy aspect, he was supposed to be perfect and unreachable. Stephine said so herself, she never planned on writing twilight at all. She had a sexy vampire dream, and decided to wright it down. Edward was in all truth, her own fantasy. Personally, id take jacob over edward anyday.

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:06:09 am »
I personally would have taken Jasper...he was my favorite of all the guys, but I'm not a JasperXBella person. That is just plain crack.

I didn't know that about the unreachable thing. That honestly makes it worse.

Which do you prefer?

-Tite Kubo

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:04:05 am »
Honestly, twilight. I started reading it during a very bad time for me, and the relationship bella shared with jacob throughout the series helped me through. Harry potter has indeed been there for me the last 8 years of my life, but i found twilight much more intuned with my life.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:31:48 am »
I'm someone who doesn't like either.

Harry Potter:
I tried to read the first book, just because so many people were complaining about the contents being inappropriate for children.  I wanted to find these for myself, to see if the was a case of misunderstandings or whatnot.  However, as I read it, I got more and more bored with the contents that I didn't care anymore.  Some of the names that I've heard from Potter fans are pretty odd, too.  Off the top of my head, the only one that I remember well enough is Dumbledore (...which Firefox didn't underline).  I can appreciate the grammatical structure of the novel, but the contents were dull, and I couldn't get into it.  Since pointing this out to some of my friends who are into the franchise, they told me that every book is like that, some just get to the exciting parts earlier than others.  To me, you need to make the beginning part at least somewhat interesting, otherwise, there's no point in continuing on.

Twilight:
Where do I begin?  First, Bella has the survival instincts of a lemming.  If Edward wasn't there, she probably would have died several times over in the first book alone.  Second, the grammar and spelling are worse than that of an 8 year old; I don't see how so many people can understand what's going on, it's so bad in some places.  Third, why does Bella give me the impression that she's troubled with her life before she meets Edward?  Fourth, VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE!!!  Fifth, Jacob's Quileute tribe is a legitimate one; their ability to turn into giant wolves is a raping of what the Quileute actually believe about themselves, and I think they had legal jurisdiction to sue Stephanie Meyer over it.  Sixth, I've read and seen some Twihard's act like morons regarding content matter, such as: a girl kicking a guy in his jewels because he said he didn't get the franchise's allure then got a nearby police officer to arrest him under the false charges of sexual harassment, believing that the concept of wolf people was made up by Stephanie Meyer and finding the Wolf Man movie that came out awhile ago was a horrible rip off of Jacob, girls dumping their boyfriends because they weren't Edward-like enough.  Even if I liked the books, there are many of its fans that would drive me away from them.  The one positive thing that I can say about the franchise (that I can think of right now) is that Edward wanted to refrain from having sex with Bella, who wanted to hump like rabbits.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »
I can understand that. The sparkling was the main reason i wasnt going to read it. Then my ma bought me the complete book set for my birthday and i started reading it. Id always just pretend that they didnt sparkle lol I mean, seriously, vampires are supposed to burst into flames in the sun. Though, in one series ive read, the vampires would burn if they were young vamps. The older they were, the longer they could stay in the sun. The oldest vampire in that series was 6 centeries old, and she could only handle up to 8 hours of sunlight.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:26 pm »
Yeah, I've read a couple of stories in which age could dictate how long a vampire could handle the sunlight, one of which made it to after a certain amount could lead to complete sun tolerance.

Oh, another thing about the franchise that I can praise (sort of).  The high school that Bella went to, Forks High School, is REAL!!!  I once wrestled against a Forks wrestler, and their football team beat the crap out of mine, both during my senior year.  A Jeopardy question said that the school was fictitious.  I wonder if Stephanie Meyer knew of the school, or made up a name & didn't realize that it was already there...

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »
I believe it was actually her high school. Thats why she chose it for the setting.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:34 pm »
Really?  Huh, I wonder why Jeopardy said that it was fictitious...

Offline Su Lu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
I can't say I've read twilight. Honestly that kind of romance doesn't appeal to me. The movie was fairly interesting, it had it's moments, but the wasn't much that caught my eye. I understand why people like it, though. It annoys me because all the books I love (such as harry potter) are constantly compared to it. I just wish people would stop doing the comparison thing, no offense, but it's getting old.
Kumoricon 2014!
I'm just hoping I can even make it this year...

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »
I believe it was actually her high school. Thats why she chose it for the setting.

No, she went to school in Arizona. I always figured she picked Forks because PNW = always overcast in a lot of people's minds (even though I'm sure any of us would say otherwise).

Personally? Harry Potter. I've read all the Twilight books and seen all the movies released so far, but the books are, I feel, poorly written and kind of forgettable. There's some interesting stuff in there, and I think books with more focus on the other characters could have been pretty good, but Stephenie Meyer chose to focus on the two LEAST interesting characters. Especially Bella - I feel like she doesn't really have much of a personality outside of Edward, and that that's intentional, so that readers can sort of project their own personalities onto her and imagine that THEY are the person Edward is in love with. Which doesn't make her a particularly engaging character.

I feel like Harry Potter has a much more involving plotline, does a better job of focusing on lots of characters and their relationships, and is better written.

Just my personal opinion though, and of course everyone else is entitled to feel differently.