Author Topic: DMP's plan to bring back Swallowing The Earth by Osamu Tezuka  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
DMP's plan to bring back Swallowing The Earth by Osamu Tezuka
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:04 pm »
DMP has been doing some experimental things, and their current project is to fund a reprint of Osamu Tezuka's first work aimed at adults by using Kickstarter.  At six days in they are very near their goal of being able to print the book by doing something somewhat close to pre-selling copies. 

Kickstarter Projects are a bit of an addiction of mine.  (No joke, I impulse shop more on that site than anywhere.  Most recently I backed Blindside and I highly recommend checking it out if you like gaming.)  While I'm not backing this one myself, I am very curious as to what future projects DMP might try to fund by using Kickstarter to pre-sell copies, with perks.  DMP says on the page "If this campaign is successful, you WILL see more, including premium editions of other older books and even new titles that would NEVER make it over to the U.S. without fan support."

So, what do you think of this approach and what do you hope they will try and print this way next? 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Banshee

• Cabbit
Re: DMP's plan to bring back Swallowing The Earth by Osamu Tezuka
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:01:06 pm »
I went to the link, because I had no idea what this was about and was impressed.  According to the website the goal was meet (and them some) and the book will be reprinted to come put some time in Feb of 2012. 

Personally I think this is a great idea.  I'm not interesting in THIS title, but I'm excited about what this could mean for other titles.  I hear about titles that sound interesting, but just know would never make it over here because they are not main stream enought.  This seems like a good way of getting around the problem.

Also I wonder if this could be done for series that were unfinished over here for various reasons.  A lot of the series by TP come to mind.  Dragon Voice was just one volume from finishing when it was dropped.  No one is going to pick up a title for one book, but I'm sure that many of us who have this series would be willing to pay a little extra in something like this to get it and complete our collections.  Others that were unfinished like were Shinobi Life or Sliver Diamond might be picked up, but I'm not holding my breath.  This seems like a good option for these.

It will be interesting to see what (if any) other titles DMP tried to publish this way.