Author Topic: card games tourneys? magic, etc?  (Read 27053 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
card games tourneys? magic, etc?
« on: May 21, 2004, 06:39:02 pm »
today i went to Games Domain in eugene, and put up one of those teensy squares advertising kumoricon. the folks from the story were hosting a magic: the gathering game. they asked if kumoricon could hold a magic: the gathering tourney. i told them about what tourneys i'd yet heard, and suggested that they join the forum and check to see what kind of interest there might be, and perhaps offer to host/convene it.

in case it takes them awhile to register on the forums, anyone have any interest in this? or in any of the other card-based games? i know one of my fanfic panelists plays pokemon. i've had friends interested in legend of the 5 rings. in what others are folks interested? had there been any talk of any card-based games being played at kumoricon, either for fun or as a tourney?

or perhaps having a space and time where folks who collect various of the collectible cards, including but perhaps not limited to anime-related ones, could convene?

personally i enjoy the card captor sakura cards, and have always wanted to try that game.

i also have a complete set of buffy cards :) yeah, i'm a geek.   8O

love,
rem.

p.s. here is the contact info for games domain. the name on the card is james kaplan, but i don't know whether that's whom i met or not. i didn't want to interrupt the game further to make niceties.

1751 west 18th ave, or p.o. box 22142
eugene, oregon 97402
541 345 5700 phone; 541 345 5747 fax.

p.p.s. i was only able to leave them one of those little promo squares to post. i'm quite sure they'd leave a stack on their counter for patrons to pick up, if someone could bring or mail them some. or get them to me and i'll deliver them!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 07:49:05 pm »
i saw sakura con had a big room for card but it seemed to me that it was empty most the time and was a waste of that big room but i could be wrong i never went in i just walked by it

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 03:51:37 am »
I know a guy who'd freak out and definitely participate if there was Legends of the Five Rings being played. He plays in tournaments everyweek down in Tualitin.

I'll be dropping off a stack of flyers at the shop he goes to of course.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 05:00:23 am »
Perhaps a Yu-Gi-Oh card tournament? That would be something I could definately participate in - I have far too many cards for my own good.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 05:22:17 am »
count me in for a Yu-Gi-Oh tourney.  I have over 1200 cards and riseing :)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 12:39:02 pm »
wow! i didn't even know there were 1200 cards! how many of them are different from each other? i've never played.

so is there anyone, among those interested in making this happen, who would be attending sunday's meeting and could propose it to staff? maybe offer to be the head honcho that made sure it happened?

the person in charge of programming is peter, last year's con chair. his name on this forum is modab. he's a really nice and open minded guy who seems to want to encourage anyone who wants to make something work, to go for it.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 03:43:50 pm »
id be more then happy to assist in any way that I can.  I cant shell out anything for a room but I can over-see tourney's and such :) and to answer ur question, quite a few are different (with the exception of 18 beaver warriors, i cant seem to stop getting that card)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 06:29:11 pm »
18 beaver warriors? er...maybe that's your totem? :lol:

cool that you offer help :)

Blackjack Gabbiani

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 05:27:44 pm »
(Blackjack here, hotel computer won't let me log in!)

I can run a Pokemon tournament if you want, or possibly facilitate trading. I'm a t-shirted Gym Leader for Tualatin (having a t-shirt is pretty much the way of telling who's able to run it. The rules don't cover if someone sells their shirt or what have you)...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 11:35:18 am »
well i'm not gaming staff but that sounds awesome, BJ.
how was your tourney this weekend?

last night i thought of you, comparing notes with a 5 yr old on digimon (i sang him the theme song, he requested it 3 times!) and pokemon ("mew two rules!" he agreed)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 12:21:18 pm »
Does anyone here play or know about Magi-Nation?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 03:37:18 pm »
Oh, I have a Magi-Nation t-shirt and hat that I won a few years ago. Sadly, that's about as much as I know about it.

And ooooh, the tournament went all right. I'm *really* bad when I have to get up that early, though...

And where were you talking to that kid?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 09:36:04 pm »
bj: he was a coworker's kid, who called in to ask for his parent. the parent and i have been friends since before he was born, so the kid knew me

Offline Bangaaeter

• Oni
    • http://www.geocities.com/slayerofexeter/index.html
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 06:09:53 pm »
hahhah...im a nerd, i collect tomb raider cards...we should play that.

i also know how to play magi-nation but i dont have my own cards

a little advertisement also: www.ccgworkshop.com for free ccgs online
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH(...breath...)AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
    • http://24.20.135.157
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 01:40:46 pm »
I am officially posting the card games that I still have to have approved but I have a pretty high call on this....soooo.....

MAGIC : THE GATHERING

DBZ/GT CCG

YU-GI-OH

.HACK//ENEMY

YU-YU HAKUSHO

MEGAMAN NT WARRIOR

LOTR

Please post for request's

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 04:35:08 pm »
Legend of the Five Rings.

The game is all about samurai and oni, the setting is awesome and I think that the RPG director is going to be running the RPG version of it. She runs a weekly game with Pezcat as it is and he can vouch for the coolness factor.

Also, I know there's a large number of people that'd take part in an L5R tourney.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
    • http://24.20.135.157
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 10:20:41 pm »
Got it

Offline Radgore

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 08:17:56 am »
Im totally up for magic : the gathering I like playing but my deck sucks bad im gonna beef it up though if we can tourney at the con
No man is safe here...

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 11:19:09 pm »
Oh, good, I can test my Yu-Gi-Oh deck at the con - I haven't fought against anybody but some miscellanious people at my school, so I'm not positive if my deck is good or not. I'm saving up for a Dark Magician Girl, which would help me a LOT. x__X

Offline Tylo

• Cabbit
    • http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/sirnicholas
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 04:05:19 pm »
Personally I always think variety is a good thing and I wouldn't be at all opposed to Magic being included into the list, but what it really comes down to is how strict you want to be about the Japanese Theme. But hey if my opinion counts the more the merrier. ;P

-Tylo
Du bist klien in die Hosen!!!

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 04:48:37 pm »
Funfun. I think i will have to participate. dueling the local ppl gets very dull very quickly. now which deck should i use..... Gravekeeper or Zombie :twisted:
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Seiyoung

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2004, 10:37:39 pm »
Well, I'd have to say Im interested in trying my hand at YuYu here, and MAYBE NT Warrior.  Maybe this time in YuYu I won't face four Koenma decks *shudders*

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 11:59:44 pm »
I know it's not a normal type of CCG, but would anyone be willing to play BRAWL?  Recently a friend of mine has got me totaly hooked and think it would be pretty fun to add if we're gonna have a ccg room.

Although, pending on how big my RPG room is (Im the RPG coordinator) we could probably include some of that in there. If nothing else, I could reach over to an L5R game and beg to borrow a card to explain stuff to my rpg. :P

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2004, 10:26:31 pm »
I brought up the idea at the meeting tonight of running the ccg's in the rpg room and people thought it was a pretty good idea. Blackjack, if you really want to run a Pokemon tourny (seeing as you seem to be the most qualified) let me know. That goes for anyone else who might want to run a ccg tourny. My email is Nyco27@yahoo.com

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 11:17:33 am »
I used to play Magic. I haven't in a long time though. I have about 1.5k cards, all old though. I'd have to rebuild my decks though. I think they'd be a little out-dated since I made them when I was about 12 or 13. :P
I can count all de way to schfifty-five...

Offline Dark_Knight_Ultima

• Oni
Prizes
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2004, 01:59:18 pm »
What would be fun if we do have these card tournaments is prizes..Not like extremely valuble items but like...Gift certificates to Manga and anime video stores and stuff of that nature.

Offline Boots

• Oni
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 11:30:38 pm »
Magic and yugioh sound good

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 09:39:19 am »
Quote from: "Tylo"
Personally I always think variety is a good thing and I wouldn't be at all opposed to Magic being included into the list, but what it really comes down to is how strict you want to be about the Japanese Theme. But hey if my opinion counts the more the merrier. ;P

-Tylo

I'm with you. It's okay if people play them, but I don't see the point of organizing tournaments for Magic and the like. Most of them have nothing to do with anime or Japanese culture.

What's ironic is that my position means I'm supporting the Dragonball Z CCG over Magic: The Gathering.  I hate DBZ and I used to be a huge Magic addict..... Oh well; it's my principle and I'm stickin' to it, DBZ or no.

But, heck, at least play Brawl while you're there. That at least is anime-style. I'll bring my Brawl catgirl decks, perhaps.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline trinket

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2004, 08:27:03 am »
yay magic!

Umm im wanna play yu-gi-oh i have my cards but dont know how to play?

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 06:11:45 pm »
Quote from: "trinket"

Umm im wanna play yu-gi-oh i have my cards but dont know how to play?

I'll be more than willing to teach you
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline trinket

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2004, 09:00:47 pm »
YAY! you are so nifty cool *hugs and spins zenn around*

but ill be there only sunday.... how will i find you?

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2004, 10:26:30 am »
Simple I'll be the one(hopefully the only one) wearing a red trenchcoat and matching hat. and if you stil cant find me look in the game room(s) for the naruto 2 game being played. i should be there
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline trinket

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2004, 08:47:21 pm »
okies thankies!

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004, 04:55:57 pm »
Trinket what cards do you have? I must know cuz along with my 2 decks i'll be bringing a pile of rare cards for possible trading.
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2004, 06:20:15 pm »
Yeah, rock on with Magic. I have about about 100k cards and no i don't intend to bring all of them with me, I am selling some though.
I prefer to use my Dragon Legend card in oen of my decks.
If you're interested i am sellign about 15-15 Legend cards from the actual Legends Saga.
If interested make a post in this area of the forum and I'll get back to you as fast as I can.

Thanks~

dmstudios3

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2004, 07:52:10 am »
Radien said:
Most of them have nothing to do with anime or Japanese culture.

Magic has just released a new expansion called Kamigawa.  It's all about Samurai, Kamis, Spirits, Shrines, and Japanese Culture cards.  I just made a Samurai deck.  It's Japanese in Nature. . . [/quote]

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2004, 05:04:13 pm »
we should all play Yu-Gi-OH or Dragonball Z TCGs or something like that
wouldnt' it be awsome?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2004, 03:43:48 am »
Well, if anyone's still up for a Pokémon tournament, I'm game.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 09:35:12 pm »
Any word on if there'd be a MTG tourney or not yet? It'd be the only way I could get my bf to come with me heh. He even won states this year, so he's always looking for some serious competition. ;) If anyone knows please tell me when you can.

Anonymous

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2004, 01:30:25 am »
If you have Yu-Gi-Oh you have to have a magic tourney that would attract alot of my friends that are Magic/Anime fans (some r obsessed) and heck ill be there with my Sunburst, White , and green deck  :D

if u have magic u will have some disputre of which game is better but eh who care thats what sercurity is for.....nvm that was wrong of me to say

you could also have a trading session with all the cards there that would  be nice to have everyone trade to get better

it could go like Tourney, trading, tourney, tourney, trading ect. just and example

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2004, 04:15:56 pm »
I seriously think that you should have a speperate room for card game like last year you had the RPGs and gaming in sperate rooms (even though they r both games)
do the same withthe card tourneys so the people could concentrate of the game or trading with out have like Halo 2 shotgun blasts firing in the background or having DDR music in the background
I think i made my point  :D

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2005, 08:23:37 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Well, if anyone's still up for a Pokémon tournament, I'm game.

If anyone does bring their Pokemon game with them, I wouldn't mind having a battle/tournament with some people.  I just got the Sapphire version and I'd be willing to try out a few battles (when I return from Japan).

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2005, 07:18:13 am »
Oh, I was thinking cards, but link cable battles would be good too.

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2005, 10:08:21 pm »
this year i would love to get a Yu Gi Oh! tourney organized. if anyone is interested plz say so
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2005, 10:29:44 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Oh, I was thinking cards, but link cable battles would be good too.

To quote some of the greatest minds in history, "oops."
Only now did I read the full title of this topic  :oops:

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2005, 03:06:31 pm »
LET THERE BE MAGIC,AND YUGIOH
^_^ i like magic but i also have a yugioh deck that is normally beaten but i can pull off wins if i get the right cards

im at school hehehehe IM IN PHOTOGRAPHY AND I HAVE NOTHING TO DO :(

Offline Dark_Knight_Ultima

• Oni
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2005, 09:55:25 am »
I'm thinking of bringing my Yu-Gi-Oh! deck with me, I tried to find the room where the held all of the card tournaments last year. Hopefully this year I can enter and try be number one...I probably won't with my deck, but who knows.

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 06:57:55 pm »
Ph33r /\/\y l33t d||_|3l1n9 sk1llz!!!
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2005, 10:28:19 pm »