Author Topic: Occupy Portland  (Read 4511 times)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Occupy Portland
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:07:00 am »
Anyone down there right now? Im watching it on fox12 news. Im surprised how long its gone on.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Re: Occupy Portland
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:45:13 pm »
Going down to occupy portland. This is the best time to get photographs! Word to the wise, do not come prepared to fight! This is a PEACEFUL PROTEST! Though i do caution people to be aware. There are police, and news cameras. Cover your face if you wish not to be seen.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »
I was down there in the beginning and I got pictures on my phone. I even helped my mom deliver buckets of day old voodoo donuts to them.
Although sadly I'm not down there right now, my dad does want me to because in case it does turn a bit violent (which I doubt it) that I won't get hurt
I've watched it on the news last night and today. last night though after about 30 minutes I was like, "okay I'm going to my room to play video games let me know if something happens"
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »
I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this thing end.  It's not news if people are gathering to complain without a genuine plan.  What are they hoping to accomplish?  It's a waste of time, it has lead to an increase in crime in the area, and has been the most annoying thing to be overplayed in the news since that Kyle boy.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »
I feel there is a better way to have made there point.\

Also I saw the mess they left behind, wft?

also saw peeps bring them food and blankets and such, cuz they need it more then homeless people?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »
While down there today, i was feeling very into it. Got amazing black and whites just using my phone. Several people that are part of the movemdent that i spoke to, were telling me that a lot of homeless people joined the movement because they were all so nice to them. Made them feel very welcome, like they had a family again.  And some amazing man went and bought like 20 pizzas for everyone. I was very moved to be down there.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:32 pm »
This Democrat actually is in agreement with Washougal_Otaku. I've been watching the Occupy Portland demonstartors and there's noo real clear message to them.  They just seem to be griping about stuff and not lifting a finger to do anything.  Which leads me to believe that perhaps these people are speaking with (Proverbially anyway) two mouths.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 02:51:44 pm »
EDIT: Ah hell, my head isn't clear enough to articulate anything.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:52:23 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »
^ I hate it when that happens.

^^ YAY!

I HAVE A SOLUTION THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM, AS WELL AS EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM ON THE PLANET TODAY!!!

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »
LOL Washougal-Otaku if the zombie Apocalyopse were to happen I would pick up my staff and say to those zombies before becoming destruction incarnate and surviving, "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick (Behind.) And I'm ALL out of bubble gum!"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:11:29 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 02:17:15 am »
What were they protesting about
*to lazy to go look on interwebz*

China bound!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:09:54 am »
^ Something to the effect of Wall Street being controlled by the 1% wealthy who are screwing over the remaining 99% just so they can get more money which they don't even need or deserve.  I'm paraphrasing, of course, and it probably came out semi-wrong, but I know I'm close, and that's good enough for me.  UNLEASH THE T-VIRUS!!!

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:23:12 am »
I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this thing end.  It's not news if people are gathering to complain without a genuine plan.  What are they hoping to accomplish?  It's a waste of time, it has lead to an increase in crime in the area, and has been the most annoying thing to be overplayed in the news since that Kyle boy.
You do realize it says on their website what they're hoping to accomplish, yeah? Also, source on the increase of crime in the area?

It's not overplayed at all- In fact, Occupy is horrifically underplayed.

I feel there is a better way to have made there point.\
So exercising your right to assemble peacefully is not a good way to make one's point, then?

Also I saw the mess they left behind, wft?
When you're being arrested, it's a little hard to tidy up.

also saw peeps bring them food and blankets and such, cuz they need it more then homeless people?
Er, so you're not allowed to donate to a cause you support because you could be donating to a "worthier" cause? Also, at least in SF, the Occupiers do allow the homeless to stay.

This Democrat actually is in agreement with Washougal_Otaku. I've been watching the Occupy Portland demonstartors and there's noo real clear message to them.  They just seem to be griping about stuff and not lifting a finger to do anything.  Which leads me to believe that perhaps these people are speaking with (Proverbially anyway) two mouths.
Their message isn't clear? They're protesting against how the banks were rewarded for causing the recession and how the workers are still hurting from the housing crisis and how the government hasn't done much to help them. They're protesting about how funding for education is being cut in favour of war, and they're protesting how we're continuing our imperialism despite the deficit. They're also protesting the wealth disparity of the nation and how the ultra-rich pay less in income taxes than most Americans.

Basically, they're protesting against how money is being allocated in America.

As for how they're not lifting a finger to do anything. . Is protesting not doing something? I mean, what would you have them do?

I've been to Occupy SF. The people there know what they want and they're incredibly nice. Not all of them are dirty "hippies"; they're people from all walks of life. They're not lazy bums, either- Unemployment is a legitimate concern in America. If we're complaining about how there are no jobs, why are we telling protesters to go get some?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:53 am »
You do realize it says on their website what they're hoping to accomplish, yeah? Also, source on the increase of crime in the area?

It's not overplayed at all- In fact, Occupy is horrifically underplayed.

I didn't even know that they had a website, though it doesn't surprise me.  Hoping to accomplish is different than having a plan.  Sitting on your butt while bitching about how the world sucks isn't a plan.  And yes, it IS overplayed.  1/3 of a news broadcast focusing on the Occupation... an NFL game getting interrupted because occupiers are sticking to their plans, knowing good and well that they're violating the law...  Yes, it is VERY overplayed.

So exercising your right to assemble peacefully is not a good way to make one's point, then?

Making a point, yes.  Having anything positive come out, no.  This is especially true in this case, because what they're opposing isn't the government, but rich bureaucrats.  They don't give a {CENSORED} if people are upset.

When you're being arrested, it's a little hard to tidy up.

How many people were arrested compared to how many people were there?  Also, this was a huge problem before there was a single arrest.  The occupiers are lazy and disrespectful when it comes to cleaning up, and you CAN'T blame the few arrests that have been happening on that, at least not logically.

Er, so you're not allowed to donate to a cause you support because you could be donating to a "worthier" cause? Also, at least in SF, the Occupiers do allow the homeless to stay.

I can say things about both sides of the arguments on this, but I won't.  Let the donators donate to whomever they want.

Their message isn't clear? They're protesting against how the banks were rewarded for causing the recession and how the workers are still hurting from the housing crisis and how the government hasn't done much to help them. They're protesting about how funding for education is being cut in favour of war, and they're protesting how we're continuing our imperialism despite the deficit. They're also protesting the wealth disparity of the nation and how the ultra-rich pay less in income taxes than most Americans.

Basically, they're protesting against how money is being allocated in America.

As for how they're not lifting a finger to do anything. . Is protesting not doing something? I mean, what would you have them do?

I've been to Occupy SF. The people there know what they want and they're incredibly nice. Not all of them are dirty "hippies"; they're people from all walks of life. They're not lazy bums, either- Unemployment is a legitimate concern in America. If we're complaining about how there are no jobs, why are we telling protesters to go get some?

It's not about a message, it's about a plan of action, which they don't have.  They're not "lifting a finger" because they're sitting around crying about how life sucks.  They're emos with signs and megaphones instead of razor blades and eyeliner.  Again, the wealthy that the occupiers are protesting against do not care about the 99%.  If they did, then the problems that are being protested wouldn't even be occurring, or at least they wouldn't be as bad.

I should point out that I have several friends that are/were part of the Occupations of both Portland and Vancouver; there is no direct plan, and I'm getting this off from what they told me, as well as what's on the news and in print.  It's just people bitching because that's all they WANT to do.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:47:43 am by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:03:07 pm »
When the movement started I was fully supportive of it; however, I feel that members of OP need to regather and rework their strategy because certain members of the movement are becoming violent in response to police brutality.

And for all of you guys who solely rely on main news networks to gather your opinions on the movement... you should really do your own research. Those are very biased, misleading sources.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:04:56 pm by makichan »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 08:22:05 pm »
This reminds me of a adage a race from Babylon 5, the Vorlons, had. An arguement is a three edged sword there's your side, there's his side, and then there's the truth. My friend online Peach Wookiee has given me some very useful insight and she's a moderate Republican.

And well I lost my symopathy for the protestors when they start antagonizing the police...not cool in my book. I've actuually seen footage on Facebook of them doing it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:32:27 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 09:55:12 pm »
I've been part of Occupy Eugene in various little ways without camping there.
I will refrain from saying more on the forums, but if anyone in Eugene is interested in learning ways you can be helpful to the movement without having to camp, there are a ton of ways, just PM me.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 09:57:17 pm »
^^^ I'll agree with the first thing you said, but the second case isn't true.  Two of my friends work for newspapers, yet are still in the occupation.  I have three others that were part of it, too.  Like me, they agreed with the original idea, but unlike me, they wanted to be a part of it, thinking that it would do something.

^^ No, it's not cool some of the things they've done.  I recently heard that some were hitting police horses in an attempt to make them buck the cops off.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:24 pm »
Thank you, jaqua.

I'll have responses to your comments shortly; I gotta go right now.
"Would you kindly. ."