Author Topic: signs in hall ways  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
signs in hall ways
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:36:01 pm »
i understand your rules of the problem with signs....but don't you think its kindof....much? i mean one guy said no signs at all, and then some other person said signs are ok just as long as your not questioning people. and then another person said signs are ok just as long as your not selling anything or saying your going to or whatever.....

but don't you think signs saying please give me glomps or hugs or kisses, is alright. we're not trying to sell hugs, or force people to give us hugs, we're just bored. and it fun watching people stare at you. you can meet alot of new people that way, instead of going up to people and saying can i take your picture! and then somehow get to know them alittle better...i always get nervous whenever i take someones picture, i feel like im waisting their time, so instead i make signs and i get crap for it. (from the staff that don't like me)

im just asking for you people to understand, my side...the side of the people that like to make signs. to understand why we need to do it.
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%

Offline Roy_in_a_skirt

• Sailor Scout
signs in hall ways
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 09:46:32 pm »
Just to add on to what spit was saying, it would make things much easier if there were a simple policy on the matter, so those who would like to could have a simple rule to adhere to.
Kumoricon 2005 I went as Roy Mustang and wore a skirt on Monday with a note saying "I lost a bet with Hawkeye" attached to it, hence the username.
'06: Shuuhei
'07: Doumeki Haruka
'08: Kurogane
'09: Wolfwood (sort of)
'10: Gakuran-style uniform

Offline Ayasima_Vexic

• Cabbit
    • http://
signs in hall ways
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:26:43 am »
Look... I totally understand where you're coming from- like a lovely girl I met on Monday, she was dressed as Gaara of the Wind from Naruto, and she had a cardboard sign hanging around her neck that said "I'm not dead damnit!" or something of the sort, maybe it said im not f*cking dead- anyhoo, those things like that are cute. Then there was a neko girl who ran up ans asked me for a hug, with a hug me sign around her neck...its cool, fine, but some people do it just for the sake of being obnoxious and just to get stupid attention.

I think there should be a restriction on what you can write, also..hey maybe the con can make some money by getting some of those small miniature white baords and attach some rope on em and sell them for people who want to make sings.. I'm sure you'll make alot- it'll be a good idea for the next con.

By the way, I was dressed as American McGees Alice (the bloody version with a red headband and walking around with her mom xD; ), and I only made it for the last day TT__TT
~*~ Åÿå§ímà \/èxïç ~*~

Offline Sesari

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=sesari
signs in hall ways
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 11:12:42 am »
Quote from: "Roy_in_a_skirt"
Just to add on to what spit was saying, it would make things much easier if there were a simple policy on the matter, so those who would like to could have a simple rule to adhere to.

I've got to agree with this. There's nothing more frustrating than several people of authority all telling you that you're allowed to do different things. Not that very many people actually seem to read the convention policies, but at least the staff can universally refer to the same thing if it comes down to a bookie-battle of sorts.

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
signs in hall ways
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 11:28:35 am »
Our signage policy this year was both simple and vauge.  We disallowed any sign that solicited anything, so all the "Will Glomp for Pocky!!1!One" signs would be disallowed, yet it becomes vauge for the "Hug Me" signs, because they are still asking for something but not offering anything in return.  It'd be different if it were money, like "Hungry otaku needs ca$h badly", as they are asking for money and are basically beggers at a con, so therefore their signs would be taken as well.

Signage policy was in the con book, and posted on the wall at registration and the info booth.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Sesari

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=sesari
signs in hall ways
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:33:11 am »
Thank you, Evil Monkey!

*Looks for convention guidebook*

*Decides that it's too much effort*

*Goes to sleep*

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
signs in hall ways
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 03:59:53 pm »
Quote from: "EvilMonkey"
Signage policy was in the con book, and posted on the wall at registration and the info booth.

i know that. but it still seems alittle much its either that or some staff members are going way over board. and its scary.
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
signs in hall ways
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 04:02:06 pm »
Quote from: "EvilMonkey"
It'd be different if it were money, like "Hungry otaku needs ca$h badly", as they are asking for money and are basically beggers at a con, so therefore their signs would be taken as well.

Would they? I know someone who asked if a sign that said "Please give me money" would be ok and she was told that it would be. I think she made, like, five bucks off it.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
signs in hall ways
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 04:05:30 pm »
I can completely understand the staff's reasoning for the sign rules.  At last year's con the signs were INCREDIBLY out of control.  Pizza was offered to people to do a same-sex make out, and other stuff.  I myself had no problem with the signs this year because they were very tame when compared with last year.  The con's policy as it is stands seems good enough to me.
The trick is not minding.

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
signs in hall ways
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 04:06:14 pm »
The only other time that we, as staff, had a problem with signs was for instance the 'sign line' where we had a over a dozen people with signs lined up along the walls causing blockages that both prevented people from moving through a hallway AND created a dangerous fire hazard for the same reason.  If this occured we would ask people to please be respectful, try to keep an area clear, move outside where the restriction would not occur or, as a very last resort if they refused all of the above, we would have to confiscate the sign because it was creating a dangerously crowded situation.  

Additionally we had some signs of questionable content which caused some uproar at times and these were all dealt with on a case by case basis, but I think this occured only once or twice during the Con.  We didn't wish to restrict people's right to express themselves, but we had to keep aware of the safety regulations of building/operating codes for the hotel as well as the personal sensibilities of other con-goers.  

As the head of security I hope you can understand that we did NOT want to restrict the signs here, and I am sorry about any inconvenience it had.
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
signs in hall ways
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 07:20:53 pm »
thanks rictheron. i hope to be at next years con and to have a wonderful time. thanks agian for making this years awesome.
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%