Author Topic: rarnom's rants and raves  (Read 2233 times)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
rarnom's rants and raves
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:06:03 pm »
Hi everyone.  Phew!  another con over and done.  good times.  but, hey, lets get right to the rants and raves.  First, just to preface my comments, I had a GREAT time at the con and I thought it was fun and this is all intended as constructive critisism.

RAVES (better this year):

-dance was GREAT.

-Hotel was great.

-Viewing rooms were great and in a much more accessible location.

-Dealer room was bigger and with a little more variety (even though I still liked the dealer room the best at the first K-Con 2003...)

-Charity auction was very cool.

-I liked that there were actually people using the RPG room for rpg's!!

-Karaoke Contest was very nicely presented and enjoyable to watch.  There were some scheduling issues, but other than that I enjoyed the karaoke and the open mic.  It seemed to be very well run.

RANTS (these were better last year):

-Dating game.

Ok, yeah, we LOVE the dating game, but what hampered it this year was the length of the rounds.  last year each round was only about 7-10 minutes if that and there were only like 5-6 questions asked.  That allowed for about 7 rounds of dating game and more people got to participate.  This year the rounds were like 20 minutes and only 4 rounds.  Fun times, but much too long, especially with the amount of people that I am sure wanted to get in on the game...

-Game room

now this is a minor minor rant, because the the only thing that I liked better last year was the asthetic of the game room.  It had this really cool 'techno dungeon' feel.   All neon and dark and glowing and cool.

-Closing ceremonies

Last year it was a lot more of flash and bam and fun.  This year it was a lot of waiting, and sitting.

-What happened to hall cosplay judging???  :(

-Appearance of disorganization, lack of things to do.

Now, I know this could partly be my fault, but for the first time at the convention I actually felt like there were times that there was not a whole lot really going on.  Some events would be scheduled, I'd show up, and nothing would be happening.  I just felt like that there weren't a lot of distinctly *unique* things to do.  Sure there is the game room, viewing rooms, fanfic (if you're into it), but I felt at times well, bored. :shock:   Especially on Monday.

-Bakazoku: less is more

another minor minor rant, especially since the Bakazoku are very cool guys.  Just that this year I was weary of their dominant presence at so many of the main events.  Cool guys, love them to death, but just too much this year.  

Overall, like I said, I had a good time, but not as good a time as last year.  The con last year had a sort of /magic/ that this con didn't have.  I didn't see a whole lot of substantial evolution or innovation in terms of events when compared with last year.
The trick is not minding.

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
Re: rarnom's rants and raves
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 09:29:23 pm »
Quote from: "rarnom"

-Dating game.

Ok, yeah, we LOVE the dating game, but what hampered it this year was the length of the rounds.  last year each round was only about 7-10 minutes if that and there were only like 5-6 questions asked.  That allowed for about 7 rounds of dating game and more people got to participate.  This year the rounds were like 20 minutes and only 4 rounds.  Fun times, but much too long, especially with the amount of people that I am sure wanted to get in on the game...

This has been noted.  My boyfriend (who lurks but doesn't post) is the very tall skinny member of Slightly Anime.  He has read you post (I just brought it to his attention) and he agrees.  The other members of Slightly Anime know as well (it was my only critique, and I told them right after the Anime Dating Game).

I can't really speak for them, but next year's Anime Dating game will be better than ever, and this will be taked into account.  (A Slightly Anime Improv panel is possibly in the works as well.  Improv rocks the house.)

FizzTheCarbonated
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
Re: rarnom's rants and raves
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 09:45:42 pm »
Quote from: "rarnom"
-Game room

now this is a minor minor rant, because the the only thing that I liked better last year was the asthetic of the game room.  It had this really cool 'techno dungeon' feel.   All neon and dark and glowing and cool.

-Bakazoku: less is more

another minor minor rant, especially since the Bakazoku are very cool guys.  Just that this year I was weary of their dominant presence at so many of the main events.  Cool guys, love them to death, but just too much this year.  

i agree with you. the game room was really neat at last years con. and Bakazoku went kindof far, but it was hilarious. they kept the con alive. lol i keep saying butternut to my friends that didn't go to the con and their like....0o..freak......lol. w00t!
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%