Author Topic: Volunteering / Staffing for next year (2006) - Details?  (Read 9915 times)

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
Volunteering / Staffing for next year (2006) - Details?
« on: September 06, 2005, 08:59:25 pm »
Since we don't seem to have a real solid thread on it yet (and I realize I may be a bit ahead of the curve here), I figured I'd start a thread on volunteering and staffing for next year. I know it's early, but could we get a basic run-down of what sort of positions are expected to be open in both regards and the requirements for them (age, hours available, experience, etc.)? After having such a great time at the convention this year I'd really like to get involved in some way to help make Kumoricon even better in '06!

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 01:15:34 am »
I think it is a pretty safe assumption that I want to do yojimbo again next year.  Roaming the halls at 3 am was just too much fun to miss out on.  :D
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 02:09:54 am »
I want to do Yojimbo Next year ^o^ Goggle squad Pwn!

You love us, You feed us The Goggle Squad

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:56:48 am »
Yeah, you're ahead of the curve :D

But not by much, actually. Hopefully I will have a place ready real soon for submissions to be sent to in order to better coordinate volunteers. It's my intention to not lose this momentum from the con.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline tazmy

• Cabbit
    • http://tazmy.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 11:14:34 am »
Thanks for starting this thread.  Here's the low down on volunteering.

If you wish to volunteer send an email to me at volunteer@kumoricon.org including your name, age, and interests.

We need volunteers and staff for all kinds of things so here are the basics:

Yo Jimbo: Staff only, no volunteers.  Must be 18 years of age or older and must attend a training before the actual convention.  Yo Jimbo act as crowd control and work to keep the convention safe for everyone.

Gophers: Gophers race around and help make sure that communication is flowing between the various departments.  Gophers may be asked to fill in any jobs that haven't been covered by other volunteers.  Gophers often sit at the info desk and do everything thing they can to make the information run smoothly.

General: General volunteers help out by watching the video rooms, elevators, dealer room, and anywhere else that we need to post someone.

Gaming: Gaming always needs staff and volunteers for various purposes.

Programming: Programming needs staff, panelists, and volunteers to make the convention the best experience possible.

Audio/Visual: Volunteers are always needed to make sure that AV runs smoothly and has all the hands they need.

Set-up/Clean-up: Volunteers always needed in this area.  Self-explanatory really.

Publicity: Publicity needs volunteers/staff who can help out before the convention to make sure we get an optimal number of attendees.

Operations: There are many positions available in operations.  These are the behind the scenes guys that keep registration, yo jimbo, and the whole con running smoothly.

There are many other needs and we can never have too many staff and volunteers.  Staff must be responsible, willing to work a whole lot of hours (# of hours tba), and reliable.  There is usually an age limit on who can be staff.  Volunteers should also be reliable and responsible, but the number of hours they work is really up to them.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.  If you are interested in helping out you should send me an email and try to make some general meetings.
Tazmy
Volunteer Coordinator

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 12:00:32 pm »
Thanks for the info! I'll send an e-mail your way as soon as I have access to a functional mail server again, or earlier if I decide to break down and use my hotmail account instead.

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 12:08:02 pm »
yay! I'm sending an email. ^_^

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 09:46:06 pm »
ill definetly join in on that BUT I have  small request, can you PLEASE keep up on the emails this time.  I remember the emails not being responded to for months.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline tazmy

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 10:35:28 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
ill definetly join in on that BUT I have  small request, can you PLEASE keep up on the emails this time.  I remember the emails not being responded to for months.

Any emails that were given to me were responded to within a few weeks.  There was for some time a problem with getting access to the volunteer email for a while which was beyond any of our control.
Tazmy
Volunteer Coordinator

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 03:37:09 pm »
I'm a Graphic Designer and I would like to offer to make the pamphlets and calendars for next year.  I heard a lot of complaints about the confusing and too hard to read calendar.
Also noticed that the "watermark" images on some of the pages were WAY too dark to be legible.

I'd love to help out if you want me!

And I wanna be involved more next year than I was this year.  I won't be selling art again, took up WAY too much time.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 06:20:17 pm »
@ MistressLegato

By "watermark", do you mean the image that was screened in the background of the front panel of the tri-fold that had the calendar on the inside? Yes that is a bit dark. I did print media for cons (not anime, but for the medical industry) up in Seattle, so if you do undertake the production job for the con and need a hand, let me know. I've done schedules, exhibitor prospectus', booth layouts charts, programs, reg. materials, signage and everything that's printed to do with a con. Which includes coordination with printers and painters too.

Also, I'm not sure who did the printing, but I have connections with a local printer in Tigard (much better than Kinkos - believe me!) if the 2006 staff wanted a quote on media for next year.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 10:20:04 pm »
Quote from: "Sinaj"
@ MistressLegato

By "watermark", do you mean the image that was screened in the background of the front panel of the tri-fold that had the calendar on the inside? Yes that is a bit dark. I did print media for cons (not anime, but for the medical industry) up in Seattle, so if you do undertake the production job for the con and need a hand, let me know. I've done schedules, exhibitor prospectus', booth layouts charts, programs, reg. materials, signage and everything that's printed to do with a con. Which includes coordination with printers and painters too.

Also, I'm not sure who did the printing, but I have connections with a local printer in Tigard (much better than Kinkos - believe me!) if the 2006 staff wanted a quote on media for next year.

yeah, that's what really struck me!!  It was supposed to be a wtermark, but it just was sooo dark.  And I went through that problem in a class of mine. MAN is screen-opacity different than print!!

If I get elected for the job I'd love your help!!

Offline tazmy

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 09:37:02 pm »
I have taken down your names as wanting to help with the printing.  Will you be able to attend the October 9 meeting?
Tazmy
Volunteer Coordinator

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 09:38:19 am »
Sure, I can make the October meeting.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 08:18:24 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I can n_n

Any time I can use my schooling experience to help out, I'm happy.

Anonymous

Re: Volunteering / Staffing for next year (2006) - Details?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 10:08:53 am »
Quote from: "Shiv"
Since we don't seem to have a real solid thread on it yet (and I realize I may be a bit ahead of the curve here), I figured I'd start a thread on volunteering and staffing for next year. I know it's early, but could we get a basic run-down of what sort of positions are expected to be open in both regards and the requirements for them (age, hours available, experience, etc.)? After having such a great time at the convention this year I'd really like to get involved in some way to help make Kumoricon even better in '06!

Where do we send the information to?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Re: Volunteering / Staffing for next year (2006) - Details?
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 01:12:53 am »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "Shiv"

Where do we send the information to?

Drop an email to everyone's favorite Tazminator at volunteer@kumoricon.org, with:
1) Full Name (real)
2) E-mail
3) Forum Name
4) Age (useful for know if you're going to be available after curfew)
5) Volunteer or Staff, if Staff, indicate what position you may be interested in.

To learn more about the different positions, hop back to her post earlier in the thread.  :wink:
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline tazmy

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 09:29:52 am »
There is a designated sticky for posting information for volunteering or becoming staff.  Don't forget to come to the General Meeting on Sunday, October 9 from 12:30 to 4:30 at the Central Library.  This will be the best time to meet the new directors and coordinate a staff position with them.  

I will be passing on your names (from this thread and emails) to the new volunteer/staff coordinators once they are determined.
Tazmy
Volunteer Coordinator