Author Topic: Drunk SNL writer gets kicked out of anime con for heckling, swears revenge  (Read 14618 times)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
... or at least that's my guess. As if we needed more proof SNL jumped the shark decades ago.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/october-15-anna-faris/1362553/
Jump to the fifth tick-mark, 41:40.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
I heard about this last night. Glad I saw it. Sad thing is that it is very true x.x

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
I literally had to stop watching about a minute in.  It was just so cringe inducing, even as a parody.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
... that wasnt even funny. It was just rude.

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
I heard about this last night. Glad I saw it. Sad thing is that it is very true x.x

YES.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link. I about died.
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
wow I wanted to puch them, tho the teacher was funny, and acting how a real anime fan would act
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
>.< I'm only 1 minute in and it hurts... It's like... SNL took weeaboo-ism to the next level and added in a little bit of typical retarded (in every sense of the word) modern media... this is why I don't watch television.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
IMO, it wouldn't have been so troubling if they'd accurately portrayed some of the real, embarrassing quirks of otaku. But instead, it looks more like someone watched an episode of Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show and didn't get that it's a parody.

I don't know, maybe I only feel this way because I haven't actually seen people making mistakes like "Sensei-Mark" (instead of Mark-sensei), ending sentences with "-doodoo" (instead of -nyaa, de su, or suchlike)? For the most part the ones I know are more like the teacher, as jaz pointed out.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
Yeah, the teacher was okay. Besides him though it was a really bad portrayal of a weeaboo (as I understand them to be anyways). Most of us can relate to the teacher at least. The only thing missing was a picture of a character (Picard perhaps?) facepalming.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Your reactions make this skit soooo much funnier! Weaboo test failed! LOL

My goth friends appreciated the Goth Talk skits that made fun of their culture a lot more.

Since this skit was from two of the newer cast members I wonder if they're going to be bringing it back in future episodes. We'll have to see how the rest of the audience reacts. I have a feeling that since SNL's audience includes a lot of your older siblings, we'll see it again.

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
Re: Drunk SNL writer gets kicked out of anime con for heckling, swears revenge
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »
HAHA

That was great
And so true

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »
I actually thought it was kind of funny, but I hate the back lash. I was watching Eden of the East earlier today and one of my roommates glanced over my shoulder and said "Oh my gosh, you ARE one of THEM!" and started laughing. It was terrible. Then I had to explain what a weeaboo was. Not fun.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:39:57 pm »
My whole group of anime friends from my high school are getting hell from this. People are calling them weeaboos and making fun of them. Its getting really sad having to listen to them get harassed this way.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »
:(
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »
The video is having difficulties playing on my laptop.  What happened?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »
I had to refresh once on my desktop before it loaded correctly.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »
That was kinda painful to watch. But it was all in good fun so it's cool xD

Saying that no one from the fandom is like that is untrue, but I hope people are smart enough to realize that not every anime fan is like that

Also, why did they keep saying "de-ru/de-du"..? I've never heard that in any show before...

Edit: Also, just thought I should note that the guy acting as the Japanese girlfrind eating noodles does the Portlandia series
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:12:28 pm by Spontaneous »
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 06:01:04 pm »
I think the de-du is a play on when we add desu or su or anything else along those lines to the end of a sentence. I think there is a common thing about people making fun of anime fans by saying something along the lines of "desu desu chan" but I'm sure someone else can explain a little better than I can.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 05:46:57 am »
Saying that no one from the fandom is like that is untrue, but I hope people are smart enough to realize that not every anime fan is like that

Also, why did they keep saying "de-ru/de-du"..? I've never heard that in any show before...

Agreed... I'm sure that somewhere, there really is someone like what they portrayed. I just don't think it's fair to draw the inference that all or most anime fans are like that. Most of the ones I know are a lot more like the teacher.

I'm pretty sure GregAtlas is right, but to me that's one of the sadder aspects of the skit. Instead of a recognizable parody of what extreme otaku are like, they settled for a general impression of "weirdo" and turned the dial up to 11.

(Come to think of it, it's kinda like watching an anime where they parody Americans as all acting like cowboys and/or kissing everything in sight. Which, for the record, I think is kinda sad as well.)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 10:20:25 am »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

THAT WAS GREAT!!!  At least they had the sensei correct they're blunders from time to time.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 11:03:49 am »
See, what i dont like about it is what its caused. Im not going to deny that its funny. I dont think its funny, but the majority of people do. But with said, now apparently its funny to make fun of even asian people this way. My friend miku lost her family in the tsunami back in march, and just moved to the states with her new family, and her first day in school, half her class starts making fun of how she speaks and how shes still using san and sensei when addressing people. She doesnt deserve this.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:21 am »
To tell you the truth folks. This is part of the reaon i feel the time has come in the American T.V. industry of an anime revolution. That is anime mixed with American storytelling. T.V. needs a creative kick in the kaboodle and badly. SNL indeed Jumped the Shark years ago. And NBC's work has become so BLAH that's positively sad.

So to all my fellow Kumoricon goers i ask you WHO HERE WILL JOIN ME IN THE ANIME REVOLUTION!!!!
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

Agreed... I'm sure that somewhere, there really is someone like what they portrayed. I just don't think it's fair to draw the inference that all or most anime fans are like that. Most of the ones I know are a lot more like the teacher.

I'm pretty sure GregAtlas is right, but to me that's one of the sadder aspects of the skit. Instead of a recognizable parody of what extreme otaku are like, they settled for a general impression of "weirdo" and turned the dial up to 11.

(Come to think of it, it's kinda like watching an anime where they parody Americans as all acting like cowboys and/or kissing everything in sight. Which, for the record, I think is kinda sad as well.)

I like to think of it as kicking it up to 15 using a speaker the size of Doc Brown's only made out of bad quality duct/duck tape.

To tell you the truth folks. This is part of the reaon i feel the time has come in the American T.V. industry of an anime revolution. That is anime mixed with American storytelling. T.V. needs a creative kick in the kaboodle and badly. SNL indeed Jumped the Shark years ago. And NBC's work has become so BLAH that's positively sad.

So to all my fellow Kumoricon goers i ask you WHO HERE WILL JOIN ME IN THE ANIME REVOLUTION!!!!
Eh? anime mixed with American storytelling? like combining Lost and Evangelion? Woo hoo, no depressing ending!

Most anime has excellent stories so I don't know how you mean American style storytelling would help it... That is how we got Panty and Stocking with Garter Belt if I remember right and I could only take half an episode of that.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 01:57:09 pm »
My friend miku lost her family in the tsunami back in march, and just moved to the states with her new family, and her first day in school, half her class starts making fun of how she speaks and how shes still using san and sensei when addressing people. She doesnt deserve this.

People like that should ********************************. Seriously.

(Wildly-inappropriate content removed per forum code of conduct. @random)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
My friend miku lost her family in the tsunami back in march, and just moved to the states with her new family, and her first day in school, half her class starts making fun of how she speaks and how shes still using san and sensei when addressing people. She doesnt deserve this.

Lol thank you for not burning my eyes with wildly inappropriate bad words lol

And yes, I agree. Shes called me crying several times because she doesnt even want to go to school anymore

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »
yeah, that does suck and will stick with her the rest of her life probably. Let her know there are people who aren't like that and they extend their love and hugs.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 03:22:54 pm »
I will. Thank you. I just feel so bad that i cant go help her. I hate l4v4ng so far away from my friends

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »

I like to think of it as kicking it up to 15 using a speaker the size of Doc Brown's only made out of bad quality duct/duck tape.

Eh? anime mixed with American storytelling? like combining Lost and Evangelion? Woo hoo, no depressing ending!

Most anime has excellent stories so I don't know how you mean American style storytelling would help it... That is how we got Panty and Stocking with Garter Belt if I remember right and I could only take half an episode of that.

Actually when i talk American storytelling I'm talking stuff by the likes of J. Michael Strazynski who wrote and produced Babylon 5. Epic stories like that. That's my idea of American storytelling.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »
Well... I thought it was hilarious. If you haven't met these kinds of folks before, well, then... you might be one of them  ::)
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Fevenis

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 07:41:55 pm »
This skit was amazing  ;D.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 10:35:39 pm »
BROOKLYN RAGE!!!~ :P
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 12:56:53 am »
My whole group of anime friends from my high school are getting hell from this. People are calling them weeaboos and making fun of them. Its getting really sad having to listen to them get harassed this way.

Are you SERIOUS? Don't people understand that the skit is supposed to be satire?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:00:55 am by HalcyonFour »
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 01:15:06 am »
Well... I thought it was hilarious. If you haven't met these kinds of folks before, well, then... you might be one of them  ::)

That's quite possible, but YMMV. In my experience, the people someone chooses to hang out with are usually the ones they have the most in common with.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 03:57:17 am »

Are you SERIOUS? Don't people understand that the skit is supposed to be satire?

I can imagine normies watching it and making fun of us for being that way the same way CSI did for furries. Big difference though... CSI wasn't satire. I don't know if that will be worse or not though.

That and if this was due to some vendetta the writer had like the title of this thread suggests then no, it is not satire.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 10:42:40 pm »
Well... I thought it was hilarious. If you haven't met these kinds of folks before, well, then... you might be one of them  ::)

That's quite possible, but YMMV. In my experience, the people someone chooses to hang out with are usually the ones they have the most in common with.
In this case I'd say that people don't know when to take a joke. :D
It really isn't that offensive compared to other material out there.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:29:08 am by makichan »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 10:50:15 am »
So then my friend, who just lost her home and parents like 6 months ago, should just get a sense of humor? Thatll totally make it all better! What they did may not have been horribly offensive, but it was bad, and it caused more hurt than hilarity.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:31 am »
Apparently the normies didn't like it either... The episode was voted as one of the worst, and the picture used in Entertainment Weekly is of this skit.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 01:00:14 pm »
I'd like to see that ^
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
Thank you for the heads-up...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/10/16/anna-faris-hosts-saturday-night-live-halloween-episode/

("Anna Faris hosts the Halloween episode of 'Saturday Night Live': Yep, it was scary, alright.
...Of course, nothing was more purposefully offensive (well, besides perhaps “The Manuel Ortiz Show”) than the following skit about a cable access show called “J-Pop America Fun Time Now,” in which two college-aged Japanese culture enthusiasts (Killam, Bayer) pay homage in the worst way possible, by looking and sounding like every possible Japanese stereotype.")
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:09:09 pm by @random »

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:08 pm »
If it was voted one of the worst, it really makes me think of who they were trying to aim the skit at. They obviously weren't aiming it at the normies, because they would hardly get any of the jokes, and they weren't aiming it at nerds like us or they would have gotten some of their mannerisms more correct (such as saying desu and kawaii, not that noo-doo, or de-du or whatever crap), because we would have appreciated the jokes more and connected with it better. Portlandia did better in their Harajuku girl skit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHKmcbPozQ0
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 02:01:01 pm »
So then my friend, who just lost her home and parents like 6 months ago, should just get a sense of humor? Thatll totally make it all better! What they did may not have been horribly offensive, but it was bad, and it caused more hurt than hilarity.
Anime nerds- you can make fun of
A huge and horrible loss of parents and home- you can't make fun of

Two completely different things.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 02:27:05 pm »

I think you missed her point. The girl she is talking about is getting made fun of because she is being lumped together with anime nerds, whether she likes it or not, and is being made fun of because of her accent and its similarity to the one they use in the SNL skit.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 02:29:10 pm »
It doesnt matter what theyre making fun of. The loss of your parents and home, and then being forced to move a completely new place where people are making fun of you, for whatever reason, just takes its toll on you.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »
Thank you for the heads-up...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/10/16/anna-faris-hosts-saturday-night-live-halloween-episode/

("Anna Faris hosts the Halloween episode of 'Saturday Night Live': Yep, it was scary, alright.
...Of course, nothing was more purposefully offensive (well, besides perhaps “The Manuel Ortiz Show”) than the following skit about a cable access show called “J-Pop America Fun Time Now,” in which two college-aged Japanese culture enthusiasts (Killam, Bayer) pay homage in the worst way possible, by looking and sounding like every possible Japanese stereotype.")
Oh cool, the text has a pink highlight effect when you highlight the text. :D
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »

Agreed.  Those people should spend some time in another country and see how people talk there.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2011, 03:39:05 pm »
Thank you! Its like theyve never heard someone from a different country talk.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 03:57:05 pm »

I think you missed her point. The girl she is talking about is getting made fun of because she is being lumped together with anime nerds, whether she likes it or not, and is being made fun of because of her accent and its similarity to the one they use in the SNL skit.
But SNL makes fun of everything- literally- so why is she bringing in facts like that in the discussion?
If someone is getting bullied, it's really bad, but it's the full fault of the bullies, not SNL. If they can't tell the difference between real life and parody then they would have bullied her for something else entirely, SNL skit or not.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 04:11:32 pm »
Perhaps, but I do believe the skit might have something to do with it since SNL caters to the lowest common denominator. Common sense isn't very common anymore in addition to kids in school being cruel, especially before college.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:52 pm »
I think chances are, that those bullies would have made fun of her accent even if SNL never did that skit.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 03:45:12 am »
You make a fair point, but I don't know how well "If we [SNL] didn't provide the rationale for it, someone else would have" would fly with people who care about the victim.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 05:40:23 pm »
After seeing that SNL skit I DEFINITELY give it an EPIC FAIL!!! Like I said it's a prime example of he lack of creatiity that is so prevalant in the Television industry today.

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:35 am »
To those who liked the sketch: Thank you for getting the joke and liking a rarely good SNL sketch.

To those who didn't like it: I'm sorry you were offended about how the outside sees some of you.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J