Author Topic: Anime/manga.... that is not in English/Japanese  (Read 3919 times)

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
Anime/manga.... that is not in English/Japanese
« on: October 01, 2011, 02:50:19 pm »
Let's face it. Anime isn't just a Japanese thing anymore, it's a WORLDWIDE thing now. And now, my point.

There is a chance you have seen anime/manga in a language that is NOT in English OR Japanese. Being the E-traveler that I am, I have seen my share of those anime.

My short list:
Naruto in French/German
Soul Eater in German
Bleach in French

......to name a few.

So, anyone out there- you seen any anime/read any manga in languages besides those TWO? :D

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Re: Anime/manga.... that is not in English/Japanese
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »
Initial D in Cantonese/Mandarin (plus a live action)
1/2 Prince (A manwha written by a Chinese author, illustrated by a chinese artist, translated into english and japanese by avid fans)
Noblesse (Korean manwha/webcomic that's scanslated just like Japanese manga are)

There are a great many more, not just those that are written by japanese arists, but those written by the artists from those other countries as well. :D

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:23:53 pm »
I've seen Blue Seed in Spanish, some of the Slayers OVA's in Spanish, Hamtaro in French (boy, was that interesting...), and Street Fighter: The Animated Movie in French and parts in German.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:40:17 am »
I know code lyoko is a french anime that was remade in english, but id love to watch the french one.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:14:17 pm »
First thing to come to my mind was Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox.  It is actually Korean, directed by Lee Seong-kang who also directed My Beautiful Girl Mari, another Korean film.  It is posted on AniDB but not on ANN.

Next came all the Sonic X episodes my daughter Jenny watched in French from Jetix because, let's face it, the 4Kids version sucks.

My first viewing of The Borrower Arrietty was a low quality French dub camera rip from a French movie theater, without English subtitles.  I now have the Japanese Blue-Ray DTS version with English subs.

Until Project Kitteh finally subbed the last 10 episodes in English, I watched the final episodes of Ashita no Nadja on YouTube and Hulu in French or Spanish.

My most recent would be my attempts to get Yawara! in English.  I only recently found the last half of the series in a crappy English sub. Prior to that it was in Catalan or Japanese with no English subs.  To this day I still don't understand why nobody has finished subbing this!  When it first aired it was up against Ranma 1/2 and actually was getting better ratings!  The three subbing groups that are currently collaborating on this show just make me want to scream in frustration!  SLOWER THAN A GLACIER, is an understatement.  At their current pace, they will finish subbing this around 2023 or so, if they hurry.  It is more likely to be 2040 something.  (OK Wuntvor cool down, take deep breaths.)

As far as I know Watashi to Watashi: Futari no Lotte, known by most of us as The Parent Trap, still isn't available in an English sub, but can be watched in French, Spanish, or German on YouTube and Hulu.  I hope that some day Licca Fansubs will sub it.  They are doing Pollyanna now.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!