Author Topic: What's your accent?  (Read 18138 times)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
What's your accent?
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:56:10 am »
Okay, so I was a little bored at 4 in the morning... I grew up in the South, but apparently NYC and the Pacific Northwet have rubbed off on me.

Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-.  Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity.  You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be.  Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
Re: What's your accent?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:06:16 am »
Even though I was born and rased here in the PNW, and so were my parents and grand parents, I still have a slight norse/icelandic accent. My great grandparents were from Norway, but still that is a fair ammount of generations to keep the accent especially when nobody else in my family noticably uses it.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:12:38 am »
Before I took the test I was pretty sure I have sorta a two sided coin on this;

I have a sympathetic accent that most easily fits into a Georgian or Tennessee drawl. Those are the two most prominent states my family is from, besides  El Passo TX (And I'll never admit to sounding like I'm from El Passo) I am around someone with ANY sort of accent and gradually my inflection will change and emulate their own. It's incredibly embarrassing and I hate it.

I also have what I call a Las Vegas accent. It's the best way I can explain it as I was made fun of a lot when I moved to Oregon from Vegas. I don't know if its a strong but I do notice some differences in how ya'll talk versus how I speak sometimes.

Now... After the test:

My Results:

Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-.  Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity.  You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be.  Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I guess I expected that. To be fair, some of these words are a bit weird to base an accent on. It's not just about the vowel version you use, but your lengths, your breaths and commonalities in your language use that define a accent.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:50:13 am »
Well, naturally i have a southern accent cuz all my family is from texas and tennessee and southern california. But now, you can only hear my accent when i get really mad and start yelling, or when i sing lol

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:00:12 pm »
I expected this, considering I'd lived in the PNW for quite awhile before moving to Oklahoma last month:

My Results:

Plus we moved around alot when I was young. :D

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Some people insist I have I sound Southern or have some sort of a drawl, especially on the phone. :\

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:46:35 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:23:48 pm »

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Some people insist I have I sound Southern or have some sort of a drawl, especially on the phone. :\

You totally do, even in person, and it's very endearing.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:23:25 pm »

lol wut? No you don't. Not even close. XP
I lived in the South and you sound nothing like any of them. I used to have a heavy accent from every area I lived in. I pick up accents in a second and I can't get rid of them just because of how my tongue works. So if you had an accent anytime I talked to you I would have picked it up like it does when I talk to Alex (I always latch onto her Chile accent). You just have your own voice like we all do but as far as a drawl or a southern accent goes, you are very far from that dear.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 03:41:42 pm »
I haev a scottish sound to my voice when i get angery or it gose into a southen sound =.= depending on how mad i get

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »
I don't really have one, but people I meet insist I'm from the south. My mum is though, so I guess I got some inflections from her?

The BBC has definitely rubbed off on me though. A lot of my sarcasm has a Scottish or Manc accent to it, and I can drop into a decent range of British accents without too much prompting.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:10:55 pm »

lol wut? No you don't. Not even close. XP
I lived in the South and you sound nothing like any of them. I used to have a heavy accent from every area I lived in. I pick up accents in a second and I can't get rid of them just because of how my tongue works. So if you had an accent anytime I talked to you I would have picked it up like it does when I talk to Alex (I always latch onto her Chile accent). You just have your own voice like we all do but as far as a drawl or a southern accent goes, you are very far from that dear.

I don't know.  Rem, Pots, and DemonSpawn have all independently made this claim.  I don't think I have a Southern drawl or anything like it.  Although I have had a few people that are from neighboring cities claim I have a "Battle Ground" accent.  Which I guess means I sound like someone who raises cattle*. =)

* afaik, there are no longer any cattle in Battle Ground.  There were plenty when I first moved out here, over 20 years ago.  A FIELD OF HORSES NEXT TO MY SCHOOL, TOO.  Maybe that's where "it" (assuming said accent exists) came from?! EXPOSURE TO CATTLE AND HORSES AT A YOUNG AGE? Dunno!

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 06:53:26 pm »
Maybe that's where "it" (assuming said accent exists) came from?! EXPOSURE TO CATTLE AND HORSES AT A YOUNG AGE? Dunno!

Dun dun dun!
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 12:53:20 am »
I am around someone with ANY sort of accent and gradually my inflection will change and emulate their own. It's incredibly embarrassing and I hate it.

I TOTALLY feel your pain, I'm really easily influenced by accents and will start mimicking them if I hear one nearby. Traveling through Europe made it worse. Though, at least on the bright side I've been told that I'm pretty good at most English-originating accents (Australian, New Zealand, Scottish, Irish, etc) and was told by a Briton that I had the best English accent he'd heard outside of England, and didn't believe me for a while when I tried to tell him I was born and raised in Portland, lolol.

I also got the Western accent, though I feel like I talk with a fairly standard American accent...

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »
I have a pretty distinctive Cascadian accent, which is actually a pretty recent cultural development, distinguished mainly by a "creaking" sound in the speaker's voice.  According to this quiz I'm "neutral", but that's pretty consistent with how pretty much everyone hears us Cascadians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest_English#Phonology
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 01:24:27 pm »
Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

This is accurate. I grew up near Chicago and went to school near Detroit.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:24:57 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 12:52:45 am »

My Results:

Western Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from.  So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).  If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Meh. This makes sense; I grew up in Southern California. However, I'm confused; how am I supposed to say "stock" and "stalk" differently? Could someone clarify?
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:39 am »

My Results:

Western Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from.  So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).  If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Meh. This makes sense; I grew up in Southern California. However, I'm confused; how am I supposed to say "stock" and "stalk" differently? Could someone clarify?

It's a southern accent kind of thing. stock as in livestock vs staeelk (I'm just guessing with the spelling lol)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 07:45:12 am »
I don't know about anyone else, but this is how I pronounce them:
In stock, the o sounds like the a in "ahh".
In stalk, the a sounds like the a in "aww", and has the trace of an "l" sound added.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:43 pm »
I don't know about anyone else, but this is how I pronounce them:
In stock, the o sounds like the a in "ahh".
In stalk, the a sounds like the a in "aww", and has the trace of an "l" sound added.

To be quite honest, those two sound the same to me...LOL.

-Tite Kubo

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »
I can hear it when I pronounce it . . almost like saying stalk with a ya'll in the middle?

Stawlk?

NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW I NORMALLY PRONOUNCE IT EVEN THOUGH I ORIGINALLY SAID I PRONOUNCE BOTH THE SAME. ARGHHHH.

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 10:37:59 pm »
Westernnn.

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »
SOOO WEEEEIRRRRDDDD!!!!

I just had a friend from the east tell me the difference!

LOL, I guess I really am from the West!

-Tite Kubo

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »
Yeah, the test said I was Neutral, but I've lived in Eugene my whole life. XD My mom is from Indiana though, so I kinda picked up some of her twang.

Another part of accent that this not reflected in this quiz is the rhythm you speak in. :/
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline The_Emo_Schemer

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »
Western accent. I knew I'd get that. :)
2012 Kumoricon Cosplay
Fire Nation Disguise Suki -A:TLAB
Lenalee Lee - D.Gray-man
Sasuke - Brave 10
Yuffie Kisaragi
Sailor Moon

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 03:56:16 pm »
I got Neutral.... Interesting. :3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »

My Results:

...I think I'm a little insulted by this, but I'm not sure.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »
My Results:

I guess that's fairly accurate? In general I'd say I don't have much of an accent, although I do sound pretty Southern when I'm being sarcastic.

Offline icanhaspocky

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:03 pm »

My Results:

Western Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from.  So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).  If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Yup, that makes sense.  I've lived in Oregon for most of my life.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:39:15 pm by icanhaspocky »
KumoriCon 2012- Maka Albarn, Alois Trancy [from OVA](maybe), Matryoshka Gumi (maybe)
ECCC- Annabeth Chase, Kuro Lolita or Matryoshka Gumi
----_/\_*
'~(*w*)-*
--<'''♥'">
---'\_|_/ * Alphonse Elric loves you!
And now for something completely different

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:25 pm »
today i was talking to a friend who lives in germany o.o and he said i had a country accent that was mixed with a scotish T_T how dose that happen so i wonder if thats mine =.= never talking on skype again

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 04:09:27 am »

My Results:

I blame my friends in Texas, my mom from Cali, and my father from Connecticut. XD i talk like I'm from EVERYWHERE! XD
Ohaifourms, how have you been?
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 03:30:02 am »
I get a British accent when I get really excited (GF hates it)

China bound!!!

Offline CherryFrog

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »

My Results:

I guess this makes sense, but I know for a fact I say stock and stalk differently. >.> Meh, been in Oregon from birth, so the rest of this makes sense. xD

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 08:31:43 pm »
NAWTH'N NOO ENGLAND comes out every once in a while, with a little bit of Quebec.

Now let's go to the test:

Strangely enough there is a patchwork of accents within the region - I can tell Medford from Gloucester, and certainly ANY Massachusetts accent from "Down Maine."

For example, I am from the "Nawth Shaw;" my wife is from the "South Shoo-ah."

Never mind the map mangling the spelling of Manchester NH, (Noo Hamp-shuh!) even in that city, the French Canucks on the west side of town call it Man-chess-STAIR."

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:04:46 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline 4evaRyuk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:42 pm »
Canadian (funny I sound nothing like that)
People from outside North America probably think you`re from the States, but over here we wouldn't make such a mistake.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:09:29 pm by 4evaRyuk »
Don't call me small I'll break down your feet and stick 'em on your head!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:34 am »
So I didn't thake the quiz last time but I took it now!

My Results:

Yea that last thing there kind threw me. I do say Stock and Stalk differently. I pronounce the L in stalk so it sounds like stallk.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:01 pm »
North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

WHY? I've lived my whole life in Oregon!

...wait a minute. My statistics teacher last year asked if I was Canadian. This is weird...
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline otakunobody

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »
I got neutral... that's strange.

By friend says that I have a montanan accent when I get really excited and start talking really fast ^^; But that makes sense since I was born and raised there for 3-4 years 
Kumoricon 2015
- Kiki [Kiki's Delivery Service]
- Hiro [Big Hero 6]