Author Topic: suggestions needed for mechanical joint  (Read 3035 times)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
suggestions needed for mechanical joint
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:03:39 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a material to go around the elbow for something like Ed's mechanical arm. I'm not doing a Full Metal Alchemist cosplay, but just preparing for another cosplay that has a similar setup for the joints.

It is kind of hard to see but here is a picture for example.

I was thinking maybe some sort of ribbed cloth or flexible piping (piping would be rather stiff and hard to find in a size that fits around my arm unless someone has some advise)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
Re: suggestions needed for mechanical joint
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:54:26 pm »
To be a bit blunt, I think trying to do the ribbed texture on the joint would a big waste of time. Unless you take a picture that specifically focuses on the joint, nobody will notice the difference (and even then, it might get lost in the shadows and still look like plain black fabric).

I would just suggest buying/making a long black glove out of stretchy fabric like lycra and wearing that underneath the armor.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:55:08 pm »
Yes, I was intending something like a black glove or a sleeve for around the arm, but for the purpose of the cosplay it does need to be a ribbed texture and I was wondering material types that could be recommended.

Like these, only maybe in some sort of stretchy fabric.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:31:05 pm »
Would you mind posting what you're intending to cosplay? :P It's hard to give advice when I can't see what you're asking about.

There are ribbed fabrics out there, probably in the activewear section of your local fabric store, but those might not be dramatic enough for what you're looking for. You might want to try sewing black piping to the exposed parts of your undersleeve, but that would be a pain and would probably restrict movement a bit. I suppose you could also buy some black rubber tubing and glue it to your sleeve, but that would definitely restrict your movement even more. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything stiffer than that; the pipes you have in your post above would essentially keep your arm frozen in one pose.

Again, unless the joints are waaaay more prominent in whatever you're cosplaying, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal to have a black sleeve.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »
Actually the tubes I posted are designed to be flexible, but you're right they would restrict movement a little more than I would like. The big problem with those is actually finding the proper size diameter and even if I did find one big enough to fit my arm through properly I would need a way to taper the ends so it wouldn't be so awkward, thus the reason I was hoping for a fabric that could provide the same texture. Oh, and I don't have a local fabric store... part of the reason I was hoping to get some advise first. I am also unsure if I will be able to sew anything to the "inner sleeve" because the inner sleeve is going to be made of metal and my intention for this fabric was to be something that would form to my arm so I could remove the lower arm piece separately from the upper arm piece, and the rest of the suit.

hmm... I wonder if taking a heat gun to that piping material I posted would cause it to shrink like shrink wrap..? Still would be a little too restricting though and would probably have issues fitting under the sleeves.

I would love to post a picture of the cosplay I have in mind but then it wouldn't be a super special awesome secret cosplay. ;) That and it probably won't be ready until next year due to lack of money and no job. >.<
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 11:00:01 am »
I'd suggest going with fiberglass and resin (Like what's used with small boats and bathtubs) because it's easy to get the materials, you can reinforce it where it need to be stronger and you could make an insert piece and to connect the upper/lower pieces together. And a good think about resin is that it's strong and can hold up to convention abuse!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:56:42 am by baka-imouto »
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »
No, I'm using metal because I want it as authentic as possible even if it is a pain and a little more expensive. I want it to be one of those cosplays people only dream of being able to make, plus it will be mostly functional as well. Plus resin (and especially fiberglass)  doesn't really make the same noises metal does. :)

I may make some parts out of carbon fiber though, but that is for a functional purpose and would be accurate to the costume as well.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a material to go around the elbow for something like Ed's mechanical arm. I'm not doing a Full Metal Alchemist cosplay, but just preparing for another cosplay that has a similar setup for the joints.

It is kind of hard to see but here is a picture for example.

I was thinking maybe some sort of ribbed cloth or flexible piping (piping would be rather stiff and hard to find in a size that fits around my arm unless someone has some advise)

In the tutorial forum there is a really good tutorial on how to make Ed's automail.  Maybe you can look at what they did for the joint.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:13:59 pm »
Look for thin rubber cable conduit, I'd say. As long as you prime it, the rubber should make  good canvas, and if you can find it - will have the ribbed quality you are looking for - maybe even alternate metallic paint shades.

Alternately, you may be able to find dryer vent tubing flexible enough.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »
You'd have to give me an example of the rubber cable conduit, sorry. >.<

I've thought of the dryer vent tube before but unfortunately have never seen one the right size.

Edit:
Hmm.. just found this site.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=567&clickid=popcorn
I doubt the rubber ducting would take a form with a heat gun, but I would assume the polyethelene would since that is the same material shrink wrap is made of. polyethelene probably wouldn't generate stinky rubber smell either. Not sure how willing I am to heat shrink something with my arm in it though. :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:05:57 pm by GregAtlas »
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done