Author Topic: Are anime conventions in a struggle?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Are anime conventions in a struggle?
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »
I've been looking at some guest lists for a few conventions that were held in recent years and noticed they had gotten a lot smaller.
Anime Mid-Atlantic, Nekocon and Sogen Con have all had a significant drop in guests and even though Anime Expo still had a huge list, there were hardly any dub VAs. I believe that the attendance hasn't been a problem, but is it becoming more common for anime conventions to have to save money? I don't mean to scare anyone. It's just something I've been curious to know.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Are anime conventions in a struggle?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18:52 am »
I have been waiting for Kumoricon to get 'big' enough to bring over industry talent from Japan as guests.
Sakuracon did that a few years back and it was awesome to meet 'real anime' creators.

I hope we can cross that threshold soon ...

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:05 am »
We can't expect to grow forever, or to always have good years... look what happens to the stock market every time someone tries to make such a scheme work. Kaboom. (>.<)

Kumori itself had a bit of a down year in terms of attendance, because it's true - some people are having to skip cons for lack of money in this economy. It's understandable. But they'll definitely be back as soon as they're able, because cons are part entertainment, part family reunion. :)

If some of the cons are playing it safe instead of trying to spend their way into making people attend, I think that's actually a good sign. It means they're planning for the long haul... which means they're a lot more likely to be around for decades to come.

~~~

Prinz Eugen - couldn't agree more. I will be a very happy camper when we're big enough for industry talent from Japan. I really appreciate everything the American companies and VA's have done to make anime more available... but it would be too amazing to see Kawasumi Ayako, Akamatsu Ken, or some of the other original creators.

It may take time, but I'm sure we'll get there.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:24:09 am »
I do think a large part depends on location.  I know k-con works with what we have in the area, and what would work for the attendees, esp when quite a few are younger (under 18) I can see parents being okay with them coming to con as long as there its at or really near a hotel.  But if you have to get to con by max or something like that, it gets iffy
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:10:20 am »
Honestly, given the economy, we're doing extremely well.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »
Quote from: randompvg
We can't expect to grow forever, or to always have good years... look what happens to the stock market every time someone tries to make such a scheme work. Kaboom. (>.<)]
Hey, so you buy DXD and BEARX and make a little money off the crash, then switch to commodities. (This is risky, YMMV, etc.)

So, can you 'short' a con? :-D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:21:22 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:04:49 pm »
Perhaps because of the economy, still the bigger clod on the horizon is will anime fandom have staying power. Right now I am not sue as long as anime stays a young person fandom. Teens tend to move on the next big thing. One ominous sigh was watching Border's take away a shelf for manga and watch the manga section get smaller and smaller. 

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:51:53 am »
One ominous sigh was watching Border's take away a shelf for manga and watch the manga section get smaller and smaller. 

Then entirely gone along with borders :(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:43:23 am »
I think nowadays, the term anime is being used for a lot of shows and cartoons that arent actually anime at all, which even though i dont like that, it is indeed helping us in the long run. God knows, Adventure Time and The Regular Show arent anime, but we had cosplayers of them there this year, and all of who i met had bought weekend badges. So all considering, i think we are doing well. The misunderstanding of what is anime and what is just a crappy drawn cartoon *coughtheregularshowcough* is really helping us in the end.

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:11:38 pm »
Just like domestic anime distributors had to "evolve" through the various economic changes, conventions had to "evolve" too. Luckily, the evolution took place about 2-3 years ago and everyone is just now getting settled.

A lot more is involved in getting guests than only what a convention can afford, a lot of it is also who is available and what support the domestic distributors can give. Distributors are minimizing their marketing spends and that has affected most guest attendance, leaving more of the costs up to the conventions.

The good news however, is that anime fandom has been fairly consistent for the last 10 years or so. I think that this is primarily due to fans from the 80s and 90s exposing the medium to younger audiences. We're finally at a place where those younger audiences are now becoming adults and they are still enjoying anime because of the wealth of genres and story-lines that still captivate them (at least that's what Funimation/Navarre, Bandai, and Viz Media hope for).

I really thought anime distributors and conventions would be dead around 2006-2007. With piracy running rampant, people stopped buying discs. As a product analyst at Hollywood Video, it was a constant fight to make sure even anime movies were represented in our stores due to low sales/rentals (one of the incorrect thoughts was that due to the numerous DVD volumes, people weren't interested in renting them). Once Funimation and Viz Media started cracking down on piracy by beating the pirates to the internet with legal versions of shows, I knew that as long as the fans kept patronizing them, the industry could survive.

I think it's a good start that Kumoricon is now allowing non-anime fandom to have a strong presence at the convention and maybe we'll evolve into more of a "media fandom" convention in the future. We'll see!
--Chris ^_^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »
  I think it's a good start that Kumoricon is now allowing non-anime fandom to have a strong presence at the convention and maybe we'll evolve into more of a "media fandom" convention in the future. We'll see!
We did have 145 people show up at our Doctor Who Fandom Celebration!

I'm all for keeping the primary focus on anime & manga, and fandoms and fan creations related thereto, but then having a secondary focus on fandom in general, with bridge panels that can bring in folks from other con communities and help sustain our own: Whovian, sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk, vampire LARP, what have you....
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 03:20:30 pm »
I think the economy is a large factor in why cons in general have seemed to be having less guests over the past couple of years, but I think another large factor is the lack of interest by attendees.  Many attendees are only interested in the voice actors, or only the musicians, or only the webcomic creators, or none of them at all.  I think it might be reflecting that way at some cons, and, along with budgets, guest lists have been dwindling at various cons.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:48 am »
You're lucky you can even get a number of guests.
In Australia, the actual anime conventions only started getting guests in 2009 and out of those, most are from internet fandoms like Team Four Star or LK.
One con had to cut the event back to one day in order to afford any guests. If we want to get a 'big' name, we have to get sponsorship to pay for it or cut something else from the con.