Author Topic: 10th Anniversary Panels?  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
10th Anniversary Panels?
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »
So, I think that having panels and events for the 10th Anniversary would be cool.  But, I need to figure out what panels ideas that other people would like. 

So, what do people think of the following?
* History of Kcon
* Kcon Trivia Game

Any other ideas?
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: 10th Anniversary Panels?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
Both are awesome ideas! I need to clean up my archive! I have pictures from every single Kumoricon and video from four of them! I've been trying to find a good way to hand it all over to Publicity but I don't have a spare hard drive.  ::)

All of the other entertaining ideas I can think of aren't really things that we want to promote.  :-[
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
Perhaps something with all the con mascots could be cool...  Or the best AMV from each con (best in show?).  I'll think about it some more... :3

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:30 pm »
I dug up my year 1 2003 badge the other day.

I have one of those dvds with footage of the first k-con, but I am not sure where it is....

Hmm ways to celebrate year 10, def something to think of
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:20:19 pm »
I like these ideas.  Perhaps as part of the history one, we can have someone who debuted as an attendee each year and debuted as a staffer each year talk about their first year's experience.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:48:04 am »
Perhaps something with all the con mascots could be cool...  Or the best AMV from each con (best in show?).  I'll think about it some more... :3

(1) It would be fun if it were possible to have a photo shoot (or an appearance on stage at Opening or Closing) of people in cosplays of each of the mascots and each of the con book cover figures, T-shirt figures, etc. I have one that Meg made that looks like the figure on one of the staff t-shirts and would be glad to help.

(2) As many as possible of the founders of Alto Nimbus who are in good standing, and of the former Con Chairs, should also be assembled for a photo shoot and for a standing ovation at Opening or Closing. Then at that time, everyone who has been staff and/or panelist for all 10 years should be asked to stand for applause. Then everyone who has been an attendee for all 10 years should be asked to stand for applause.

(3) At this KC, Peter, Tammy, Brownie, Duncan & I laughed about the idea of a TUNAC reunion. I actually think, especially with Chair Beau harkening back to that time, that we should have a TUNAC-themed Viewing Room (or period of time in a viewing room). Show the anime we were watching 10 years ago in club. Off the top of my head, I remember Goo, Azumanga Diaoh, Full Metal Panic & FMP Fumafulo (spelling?), & Hunter remembers GITS:SAC, etc.

(4) Absolutely we should have a panel on "How'd We Get It Off The Ground"? Not so much a history of KC but, as I envision it, a two-part panel. (A) Founding and establishing Alto Nimbus. What it takes to set up a non-profit. How to establish a board, write bylaws, get initial funding or credit, set up a budget. (B) Coordinating and running our first two cons. Part a history review, but with more emphasis on how others who wish to innovate new, little cons can get started, and how to adapt when your success outpaces your expectations.

(5) Visioning panel: How would we like Kumoricon to evolve over our next 10 years?

(6) Growing our own: Grooming attendees to become staff and then directors.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:27:24 am »
A 'How We'd Get It Off The Ground' panel from available people would be awesome!  (Okay, I say this partially because I am tired of dispelling certain myths.)  I know founders have shared info informally with people trying to start other cons in the area.  This would be good both for people with specific con-starting interest and also for attendees in general. 

Rem, I'd assume you'd head up the TUNAC panel because I was not part of that?  I've been at Kcon every year, but I wasn't involved in staffing until 2007.

Right now I am thinking of running two panels, one more SRS History of type thing and then also a more fun panel of some sort.  Also, I am looking to see what sort of 10 Year stuff could be woven into other things.

REM, I've got a few more ideas I'd like your help with, but I am not going to get started on them until we have a new board in place and I can talk to people in charge of things.  I've got some ideas I like for Opening Ceremonies, but I should wait and talk to the person who will be in charge of that before I get started on things :) 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:14 am »
I'm certainly curious what the myths are that must be disspelled. Not surprising that we'd be the stuff of urban legends :D
Perhaps chat me sometime :D
Er, I would think Beau would be the logical choice to head the TUNAC panel. There are others who attended much more often than I. I attended as the girlfriend of the sister of a member, and then as a friend of members. I was not a U of O student, did not set up TUNAC, work on getting clearances, or anything like that. So thank you for the invitation, but I would feel out of my league to helm a TUNAC panel. In terms of helping remember what we watched, sure. In terms of attending, sure. Maybe Radien could help. Maybe we could even get his twin, Amy, back involved. (She & I cohosted KC's first Fanfic Panel and cojudged our first Fanfic Contest.)

I'm thrilled to help with anything and everything related to our decade of evolution, and to hear your own ideas.

Among other notions, someone had mentioned perhaps showing a winning AMV from every contest. I have (in my emails somewhere) lists of everyone who won fanfic contests and fan art contests that I ran or managed (2003-2010 for fanfic; 2005-2010 for fan art). I would be glad to collate those lists if there were going to be any kind of slide show or archive or something, and to contact select winning authors and artists for permission, if we could put together -- even if just for an issue of the KumoriContent -- sort of a Best In Show set of excerpts of winning fanfics (or even whole, brief fanfics) and, if possible, even see if winners from art contests either still have their winning art, or have, say, links to their DA pages.

Fan creations have been so integral to the culture and the success of KC, that I would like to help highlight their evolution over the years.

A 'How We'd Get It Off The Ground' panel from available people would be awesome!  (Okay, I say this partially because I am tired of dispelling certain myths.)  I know founders have shared info informally with people trying to start other cons in the area.  This would be good both for people with specific con-starting interest and also for attendees in general. 

Rem, I'd assume you'd head up the TUNAC panel because I was not part of that?  I've been at Kcon every year, but I wasn't involved in staffing until 2007.

Right now I am thinking of running two panels, one more SRS History of type thing and then also a more fun panel of some sort.  Also, I am looking to see what sort of 10 Year stuff could be woven into other things.

REM, I've got a few more ideas I'd like your help with, but I am not going to get started on them until we have a new board in place and I can talk to people in charge of things.  I've got some ideas I like for Opening Ceremonies, but I should wait and talk to the person who will be in charge of that before I get started on things :) 
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:21 pm »
If we can get some history and people willing to help write, I'm sure A2N would love to do a Kcon Trivia Panel. I was thinking with a person who's been on staff all 10 years and doing it in the style of "Win Ben Stein's Money".

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
I've been in touch with Guy about AMVs and we are seeing what we can do to get the winners together.  Some of the data will be a challenge to get. 

I wouldn't mind some advice, but these are mostly panels I am planning on running myself, with the exception of TUNAC and maybe helping other events integrate 10th Year stuff :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:15:30 pm »
It would be nice if there was some sort of repository of Kumoricon photos/images by year. 2003 is a hard year to come by! ;D
--Chris ^_^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 01:12:26 pm »
It would be nice if there was some sort of repository of Kumoricon photos/images by year. 2003 is a hard year to come by! ;D

We should start a thread putting out a call for them.

In my dream world, there'd be a panel in the Art Show or in the Silent Auction, that was a gallery of photos from 2003 and 2004, and KC could sell prints of the photos to benefit either Sunshine Division or Mercy Corps Japan.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:31:34 pm »
I'll eventually have my archive uploaded. For now there's just a few...
http://tomthefanboy.com/kumoricon/2003/
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:30:30 am »
I'll eventually have my archive uploaded. For now there's just a few...
http://tomthefanboy.com/kumoricon/2003/

WOOT! I will be so excited to review these when I am not at work!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:46 am »
I just noticed my 2004 folder was completely empty! I've gotta get those scans in soon.

I just wish that my 2006 and 2007 pictures weren't all done with the Programming Staff digicam. I don't know where those files went!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »
(6) Growing our own: Grooming attendees to become staff and then directors.

I think this idea is brilliant!  At the very least, this might help show attendees some of what goes on to help make the con possible.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »
Tom, do you mind me using some of your pics for my panel?  Oh, and the ones that appear to be on a stage, go you remember what those were of?

Wow, I do not remember seeing you running around in that sailor outfit ... I think I may be glad of that.  I don't think I have any pictures of that year.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:49:52 pm by Rathany »
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 09:32:32 am »
The only stage in 2003 was in the Main Events room. Most of those are the cosplay contest.

Such as the infamous backflip from Sven during the Bakazoku challenge!

Yes, all of my pictures are open for use! I'll post here when I get more of the archive uploaded.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 11:54:09 am »
Unforgettable. As was Meg's Bible Black cosplay (which I actually wore this year).
The only stage in 2003 was in the Main Events room. Most of those are the cosplay contest.

Such as the infamous backflip from Sven during the Bakazoku challenge!

Yes, all of my pictures are open for use! I'll post here when I get more of the archive uploaded.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:04 am »
My 2003 and 2004 archives have been updated.

I have some pretty embarrassing pics in there. I take no responsibility for things you can't unsee (all are safe for con).
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »
That one of you in the schoolgirl outfit scared one of my co-workers just now, Tom... thank you!

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 06:46:01 am »
I need to take a weekend and magic card some of these pics.... *evil grin*

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 06:51:17 am »
do it

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 07:09:44 am »

;D Maybe having a Magic game panel with those cards...?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 04:41:15 pm »
Glad I can help y'all out.  ;D

I'm trying to write a filk dedicated to to Kumoricon 2003.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 04:44:37 pm »
^ Perhaps one for every year...?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:04 am »
^ Perhaps one for every year...?

Dude, that would actually be epic, but I would want to do a medley and I would want to have the 10 different mascots singing it. Each one coming out on stage and interrupting the next like the rat pack would do.

10 full filks would be a lot of writing, especially since there isn't that much to say about each year that is unique to that year.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:16 am »
Maybe 1 filk, with 1 stanza per con?

I will verify with our lovely former Con Chair, Meg, but I'm pretty sure that her homemade cosplay that she gave me was the 2005 staff tshirt mascot. At least, it looks just like what the mascot on the tshirt is wearing (might have been 2004 or 2006, but definitely that era) ... white t-shirt with powder-blue trim, girl has lots of bright blue hair and blue umbrella, costume powder blue with clouds, and detached sleeves/arm bands, stockings in black boots. Didn't look like a cover of a program book, might've been a cover of a pocket guide?

@ Washougal, thanks for the support for the Growing Our Own idea.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 10:50:50 am »
^ You're welcome!

^^ That would make it super awesome!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 10:54:22 am »
@ Washougal: :)

@ this thread: I am so excited for these, and so proud of us. Otherwise I'd be at Chicon7 (Worldcon in Chicago, for which I'm part of the Programming braintrust online.) If I go to Chicon7 at all, it will be Weds, Thurs, or Fri (yes, it's that long a con) so that I can be at Opening Ceremonies, whether part of it or not :D

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 09:37:16 am »
A lot of people seen the to like idea of having people cosplay the mascots.  However, that means finding people to commit to making and wearing those outfits! 

What's the best way to get people excited to do this?  I have some ideas, but I need to people first.  At least we know who's going to run Prog for the anniversary year now, though. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 11:52:49 am »
I had thought Meg had made more than the one I have, but I know another I have is a Sak mascot, so maybe I had them confused. I'll try to get a hold of her to inquire.

Offline Yatterman

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:34 pm »
good idea maybe for the 10th anniversary they could bring back all Mascots along with a mascot that represents 10th anniversary Kumoricon made by the kumoricon staff.
Yatterman-2010
Squall Leonheart-2013

Offline Yatterman

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 02:34:28 pm »
I know the best way to end Kumoricon in the closing ceremonies.
Yatterman-2010
Squall Leonheart-2013

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:27 am »
A lot of people seen the to like idea of having people cosplay the mascots.  However, that means finding people to commit to making and wearing those outfits! 

If someone would make it, I would be willing to wear the 2011 mascot.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 12:19:55 am »
A best in show of the AMVs, and maybe cosplay contest winners would be awsome? A slideshow going through all the guests we've had, attendance as it's gone up.... Mascots of course.  :D
Maybe it'd be funny to see if anyone remembers the weather from all or most of the cons? Some have been rainy, some were hot as heck, and some were just mild.

I'd be especially interested to see something like this at opening or closing ceremonies.

Maybe even a total number of "this many people have attended kumori con" from all the years added up. It must be over 30,000 by now?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Yatterman

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 02:44:53 pm »
and to top it off for the closing ceremonies a big birthday cake with the candles saying 10K everyone saying or singing happy birthday kumoricon.
Yatterman-2010
Squall Leonheart-2013

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 12:59:28 am »
^ 10K would mean 10,000, often associated with the distance of a race.  I don't think 10K would be the best thing for said-cake, but the basic idea is pretty cool.

Offline Yatterman

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 03:44:12 pm »
no 10K is short for 10th anniversary of Kumoricon.
Yatterman-2010
Squall Leonheart-2013

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »
I'd think just leaving it at 10 would be less confusing, or, if the cake would be big enough, having "10 KCON" would be more accurate.