Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2012 Chair/President  (Read 3959 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Candidate Q&A - 2012 Chair/President
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2012 Chair (President).
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2012 Chair/President
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:45:54 pm »
Please tell me about your views on Executive Level Staff having other roles or hobbies that might be a conflict for Kumoricon.  What does or doesn't make a role a conflict of interest?

Please also tell me about how you would intend to preserve/build/lessen our currently very strong relationships with other conventions like Sak, Gamestorm and Orycon.  If any candidate feels they need more info on those relationships to give a good answer, just let me know :)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:54 pm »
Please tell me about your views on Executive Level Staff having other roles or hobbies that might be a conflict for Kumoricon.  What does or doesn't make a role a conflict of interest?

Please also tell me about how you would intend to preserve/build/lessen our currently very strong relationships with other conventions like Sak, Gamestorm and Orycon.  If any candidate feels they need more info on those relationships to give a good answer, just let me know :)

I feel if an executive has a conflict in their hobbies, they need to make a hard choice about what their priorities are. I briefly did a little thing on the internet with some friends where we reviewed conventions. This was scrapped mostly due to the fact that the people involved have close ties to some of the conventions they wanted to review, and didn't want to have to let go of the close bonds they had with those conventions.

I currently am in the works with some friends to produce panels for conventions and online fan content. I expect I be given no favor for any panels I or anyone in my group submits, and that we be given placement based on past numbers and the quality of past panels, and not because I am executive staff. That's fair to no one.

It's obvious I have strong ties with Sakuracon, as I am a manager overseeing registration there. I have an excellent standing with staffers and the executive board there, and if elected, see no reason why our relationship with Sakuracon will be strong.

I did touch base with some of the folks from Gamestorm during the convention, to get an idea of how they run things. I will be the first to admit, I have never been to a Gamestorm, but as someone who is a gamer in almost every fact of the word, I do intent to continue talking and learning about their convention. I'd be happy to be educated on Altonimbus's relationship with them.

I have never attended an Orycon. I would very much like to get in touch with their management and learn our relationship with them and see if there is anything we can do to help grow our bonds with one another.

Thanks for your question, Dawn.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »
 Execs should be free to have their own hobbies, but should also know if they are crossing any boundaries. If that is in question, ask the rest of the executives.
 As far as conflicts go, using your position to influence another position you have in a similar group is what most people look out for. We've had a strong informal recommendation against people being Exec level in more than one convention. Staffing another convention is fine, and encouraged, it just seems weird to be in high levels of both at the same time to me.
 Side note: not all conventions rank positions the same.

I love going to any convention I can, I see no reason to have or make any kind of friction or ill feelings with another Con, we all do this because we like it. So I will be as open and welcoming to other conventions as possible, and try to be a good attendee at other conventions I go to. Open lines with Sakuracon is great for both of us, I like going to Gamestorm and wandering around playing random stuff(also a gamer) I've not been to Orycon but would like to go soon.

And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:01:50 am »
Chair Candidates:

What goals do you have for the 2012 convention year? Do you have a clearly defined vision of where Altonimbus Entertainment should be at the end of this year, and how do you feel you will influence the rest of the board in realizing that vision?

2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:37 am »
Goals for next year are to refine what works and fix what doesn't. We are going back to the same site so we can look at using the space better and planning for outside events earlier.
 Not sure about clearly defined vision, but I would like to see some growth, and perhaps more mid year events, or mini-events.
 I would need to check in with the board more frequently to make sure things are on track for what we want to get done.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:41 am »
    Chair Candidates:

What goals do you have for the 2012 convention year? Do you have a clearly defined vision of where Altonimbus Entertainment should be at the end of this year, and how do you feel you will influence the rest of the board in realizing that vision?

My goals for the 2012 year are as follows:
    • Find ways we can even better utilize our space at both hotels.
    There were some very obvious and outspoken concerns and criticisms over the use of our space - I'd like to see the Executive team - with some input from the staff and attendees - come up with ideas that could help our space utilization.

• Come up with a plan for growth in the coming years.
    The fact we had an attendance drop, though slight, alarms me a bit. I would like to see the board work together to come up with a short- and long-term plan to grow.

• Challenge every board member to come up with five ways to improve the convention.
    This includes myself. This is something I hope to do as soon as I can. If we have nine folks on the board, that's 45 new ideas we have fresh in our minds - a great place to get the ball rolling on things new and things some board members have long wanted to do.

• Bring back the mini-events!
    This is something I have seen that is unique to Kumoricon. I would love to see these come back.

• Encourage inter-department communication.
    I really want to encourage lines of communication be opened up inter-departmentally. As a caveat, so as not to step on anyone's toes, directors would have to be apprised of this communication, whether it be at a meeting, or a CC line on an email.

• Be a leader and not a boss.
    A good chair lets his folks do their job and only is there if disputes need to be impartially settled, or if a director seeks advice. I definitely want to let my directors do their work, they did a great job this year.

Thanks for your question, Brandon. I am glad you were an instrumental part in helping to improve Registration!

EDIT: Had some BBcode format issues.[/list]
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:22:14 am by Bresslol »

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!