Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2012 Director of Operations  (Read 4565 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Candidate Q&A - 2012 Director of Operations
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:07 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2012 Director of Operations.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2012 Director of Operations
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »
This question is mainly based for the pourpose of the yojimbo but can cover all other spots on Operations as well.

Each year we get a set number of indivuals who sign up for staff then when the convention rolls around roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of them do not show up to claim their badge leaving the rest to pick up the slack. This year we had an outstanding number of volunteers to help with this issue but we also had a very low number of Yojimbo who showed or signed up.

So.. With that stated. What do you plan to do to increase the number of staffers signing up and make sure thsoe who sign up report in regularly and show up for their positions?
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »
Following up on Kylite's question:

What sort of response do you want in the case of someone who signs up as staff, obtains a badge, and then desert their duties?  (Excluding of course, those who have some type of crisis and turn in their badge before attending to it.)

What (broad) steps will you take to improve communication during the convention in 2012?

What (broad) steps will you take in relation to bringing materials in to the convention, and taking them back out to the locker?
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:39:37 am »
This question is mainly based for the pourpose of the yojimbo but can cover all other spots on Operations as well.

Each year we get a set number of indivuals who sign up for staff then when the convention rolls around roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of them do not show up to claim their badge leaving the rest to pick up the slack. This year we had an outstanding number of volunteers to help with this issue but we also had a very low number of Yojimbo who showed or signed up.

So.. With that stated. What do you plan to do to increase the number of staffers signing up and make sure thsoe who sign up report in regularly and show up for their positions?

Following up on Kylite's question:

What sort of response do you want in the case of someone who signs up as staff, obtains a badge, and then desert their duties?  (Excluding of course, those who have some type of crisis and turn in their badge before attending to it.)

What (broad) steps will you take to improve communication during the convention in 2012?

What (broad) steps will you take in relation to bringing materials in to the convention, and taking them back out to the locker?

Hello gentlemen, allow me to answer your poignant questions regarding Operations and relate how I hope to improve the directorate in 2012.

One of the reasons why I created the Logistics department last year was to centralize Human Resources in Operations. While we had a serious delinquency issue with the Yojimbo specifically, my Logistics Manager and I tracked down as many of those folks as possible to find out why. Some were a lost cause: Dead E-Mail addresses mainly, but most were very communicative and related the typical unfortunate real life conflicts that plague all of us from time to time: losing a job or a loved one or facing an unexpected move were common amongst myriad, yet valid, reasons.

Being entirely frank, dedication to a volunteer organization with a low commitment threshold ($10 staff fee for first time recruits with an expected 16 hour workload) means that the list of "higher priorities" is bound to be larger for our membership than for even attendees who are paying at least double if not triple the cost out of pocket for an entertainment centered experience.

However, through my tenure this past year I found that within Operations there were specific individuals who served as go-to points for larger groups of staffers and recruitment pools. These people often provided crucial insight into the motives of staffers that were not putting in 100% or were completely absent. What I would like to see happen in 2012 is the formation of a tangible framework that networks these people together with the central leadership so we can more aggressively put the recruitment drive into as many communities as possible from day one.

Staff retention on paper seems to be an easier venture. I made a goal of creating a personal connection with as many of my staffers as I could during the convention, specifically seeking out those who were were pulling their load in addition to others' at times. One of Logistics' first jobs in 2012 will be to reestablish contact with these core people, many of whom also fit the bill of being one of those "community organizers" that were referenced in the last paragraph. In addition I want to schedule Operations wide meetings at least once a month. Several of the "Reg Parties," as they are so euphemistically called, turned into directorate wide organization meetings that proved to be highly effective. I think moving these meetings to a formal schedule will promote a more solid cohesive staff base earlier in the year that we can then translate into retention at the convention.

AWOL staff are never a fun subject to discuss but the issue indeed a valid concern so I will reiterate the policy Operations used during 2011. We do not condone nor accept Staff members deserting their duties. What this means in practice, is that a staff member who has been identified as delinquent will be approached by his manager, questioned about the nature of the truancy, and will have his badge pulled if a sufficient reason is not presented. While I will not go into details, this exact scenario came to pass during Kumoricon 2011 and we followed the procedure to its logical end without incident. As such I expect that the policy will remain for 2012 unless a better alternative is discovered.

In terms of fostering a more comprehensive communications policy for 2012 using the most generalized terms, I would say that using the manager mailing list to maintain ongoing objectives and topic discussions would be the first step in improving Operations' internal consistency. On a side note, Kumoricon 2011 was the first year that Operations had a management structure that was dedicated solely to the creation and maintenance of a centralized communications network at con. While we experienced several hiccups during the weekend, our team was quick to assess and resolve those issues in short order. Through debriefing my communications coordinator post-con, the most obvious improvement to the system would be locking in Nextel allocations earlier in the year so the phones could be programmed with more descriptive names instead of Prog 1 - 4 and Ass. Ops Dir 1 + 2 (BTW 1 and 2 were cut off so you had to by process of elimination figure out who you were talking to :/)

For those who are often trying to find corollaries between Kumoricon and other conventions I want to make this point as clear as possible: Operations does not lead locker organization or the transportation of goods and materials. At this current date we have been charged solely with supplying manpower to the Quartermaster, acting under the auspices of the Treasurer, who directs and leads the efforts to and from the storage facility. From that limited vantage point I can only stress that there will never be a point where more people at load in and load out is considered counterproductive.

I hope I have been able to answer your questions to a sufficient degree and welcome any further calls for clarification you might have.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:41:12 am by Griffion »
2013 - 2014 - President/Chair
2011 - 2012 - Director of Operations
2010 - Console Gaming Manager
2009 - Assistant Gaming Manager
2008 - Volunteer

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:01:41 am »
Wow. Impressive answer. Wondering if you would be interested in dovetailing your points about AWOL staff with the thread about reducing quorum at meetings. Someone suggested culling those who, for whatever reasons, valid or invalid, did not arrive or did not complete their duties, or did so inappropriately, from the list of those considered staff, for the purposes of having a total, X % of which must be present for quorum to be said to have been attained. Is this a good idea? Is it operationalizable, between con & elections for the following year?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:49:16 pm »
When it comes to operations staff, they are often wide spread and getting a monthly meeting may prove nearly impossible. However msot Op's staff is also tech savvy and I believe a Skype meeting might be a great idea. Just curious as to how amicable you would be to this idea you would be.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:05:27 pm »
You present an interesting proposal Rem. Given that I most certainly know who fulfilled their obligations versus those who did not in Operations, and I am sure my colleagues do as well in their own directorates, it would probably only require communication between the rest of the Directors and the Secretary to compile a truncated list of staff that passed muster to adjust quorum. However, given the time line we are looking at currently before elections it would probably be something to implement for the 2012-2013 transition.

Kylite, I realize now that I was a tad too vague regarding Operations meetings. My goal is to have Director/Manager/Coordinator meetings each month and attendance will be related to the specific tasks at hand. For example, if we are going over Nextel allocations for Operations some of the Managers will be more than welcome to choose to E-mail a brief list of their wants and needs that will then be combined with the active Logistics list at the in-person meeting instead of making the trek.
2008 - Volunteer

Offline benjamin.riker@oit.edu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:06:55 am »
Speaking for Tank, Joshua Yoravash, Spencer Rozek, Adam McKenzie, as well as several new oit recruits; being able to virtually attend ANY meeting would be a god send. As such, would you be apposed to trying out available technologies that would enable us to telecommute to the meetings.
yes. i do know the squareroot of pie by heart... and pie minus the squareroot of pie...
yojimbo

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »
Thank you for addressing the idea. There might be a wrinkle in removing a membership privilege from someone, because of being a non-profit; probably a bylaw amendment would have to pass. But I think it's worth pursuing. BTW, albeit that Ops has not yet been my department, I also am curious of your view on the Skype meeting option, as I have been requesting it for General Meetings for a long time, and utilizing it within Publicity meetings this year.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
Speaking for Tank, Joshua Yoravash, Spencer Rozek, Adam McKenzie, as well as several new oit recruits; being able to virtually attend ANY meeting would be a god send. As such, would you be apposed to trying out available technologies that would enable us to telecommute to the meetings.

I would most definitely be interested in utilizing VoIP and other conference mediums to allow all of Operations to discuss policies and strategies throughout the year.
2008 - Volunteer