Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2012 Director of Relations  (Read 61858 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Candidate Q&A - 2012 Director of Relations
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2012 Director of Relations.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2012 Director of Relations
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
How much should a Relations Director keep the other directors informed of what they are doing and what they might be planning?
If you do not feel that other directors should be kept in the loop, how should the issue of how Relations impacts other directorships be dealt with? 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »
How much should a Relations Director keep the other directors informed of what they are doing and what they might be planning?
If you do not feel that other directors should be kept in the loop, how should the issue of how Relations impacts other directorships be dealt with? 

Considering how much of what Relations does that directly impacts the other departments...I feel it is best to be as transparent as possible.  Especially to Publicity and Programming.  Who is invited, both Guests of Honor and Industry...we want to promote that they are coming so our Attendees can be excited (or why are we inviting them if they don't excite the Attendees?), determine the best placement of fan tables, get those ads in, perhaps get them to stop in on other panels (like David Vincent in Slightly Anime's Dating Game last year) and having time to get custom art on the GOH and Industry Guests' badges makes us look more professional and slick.  Plus, Programming needs time to plan out the panels (and determine the tech needs), prepare the viewing schedule, determine the best times for all those autograph sessions, etc.  Also, since Publicity and Relations cover a lot of the same ground in dealing with Industry, it is especially good to keep a good line of communication going between the two departments.

Things like popular panels and signings are a combined effort between Relations, the Maid Squad, the Yojis and Programming to make sure the lines are kept orderly.  Fan tables need to be placed where they will not impede traffic flow (and Operations can keep an eye out for those that try to put up their own without permission).  Exhibit Hall and Art Show hours need to be well known so that Operations can make sure Yojis are available and so that Programming can be aware of when traffic flow will change (shopping closing down for the night means more people will be checking out panels!)

Other than that, it is simply working with the Hotel Liaison and the Treasurer to make sure that Relations has what they need when they need it (rooms, airline tickets, set up, tear down, etc)

And generally working with every department to make sure that no one is left out of the loop, which can cause surprises that can negatively impact the convention.
2015: Craft Staff, Panelist
2014: Staff Manual Assistant
2012-2013: Assistant Sec, Cosplay Stage Mgr
2011: Assistant Dir of Relations, Assistant Sec, Cosplay  Stage Mgr
2009-2010: Guest Liaison, Cosplay Stage Mgr

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:58:47 pm »
Well-said, thanks!
Your sig lists your roles within KC. Do you want to mention pertinent roles you've held at other cons, that exemplify your proven ability to uphold higher-level responsibilities professionally within a con?

Considering how much of what Relations does that directly impacts the other departments...I feel it is best to be as transparent as possible.  Especially to Publicity and Programming.  Who is invited, both Guests of Honor and Industry...we want to promote that they are coming so our Attendees can be excited (or why are we inviting them if they don't excite the Attendees?), determine the best placement of fan tables, get those ads in, perhaps get them to stop in on other panels (like David Vincent in Slightly Anime's Dating Game last year) and having time to get custom art on the GOH and Industry Guests' badges makes us look more professional and slick.  Plus, Programming needs time to plan out the panels (and determine the tech needs), prepare the viewing schedule, determine the best times for all those autograph sessions, etc.  Also, since Publicity and Relations cover a lot of the same ground in dealing with Industry, it is especially good to keep a good line of communication going between the two departments.

Things like popular panels and signings are a combined effort between Relations, the Maid Squad, the Yojis and Programming to make sure the lines are kept orderly.  Fan tables need to be placed where they will not impede traffic flow (and Operations can keep an eye out for those that try to put up their own without permission).  Exhibit Hall and Art Show hours need to be well known so that Operations can make sure Yojis are available and so that Programming can be aware of when traffic flow will change (shopping closing down for the night means more people will be checking out panels!)

Other than that, it is simply working with the Hotel Liaison and the Treasurer to make sure that Relations has what they need when they need it (rooms, airline tickets, set up, tear down, etc)

And generally working with every department to make sure that no one is left out of the loop, which can cause surprises that can negatively impact the convention.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:04 pm »
Well-said, thanks!
Your sig lists your roles within KC. Do you want to mention pertinent roles you've held at other cons, that exemplify your proven ability to uphold higher-level responsibilities professionally within a con?

There is a limited amount of space in the sig line, so I chose to stick to just my Kumoricon positions.  I am willing to list what my other pertinent roles have been, however!  I would like to state, for the record, that I am fully aware that Kumoricon is Kumoricon and has its own unique and wonderful culture and I want to help preserve that, not change it to fit some other convention's ideals :-)

That being said, I have held the following positions:

Orycon (active staff member since 1990): Chair, Hotel Liaison, Guest Liaison, Daily 'zine Editor, Treasure Hunt Coordinator and writer/director/actor in eight Opening Ceremonies.

GameStorm (active staff member since 2004): Hotel Liaison, head of Hospitality (which feeds the entire 600 -> 800 person convention).  I also coordinate the now annual Miniature Painting Contest.

OSFCI (Oregon Science Fiction Conventions Inc.): Member since 1996; Board Member since 2007.

Westercon:  I have staffed two.  One as an Assistant to the Art Show Director, the other as a Guest Liaison.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »
Since I'm not an expert in relations I'm not sure how the system typically works, however my understanding is that 'solid' details are only really possible very shortly before our convention happens to occur.

What will you do to try and work out free/potential/busy slots for Programming as early as possible so that preliminary versions of the schedule can be more easily drafted and later versions have fewer changes?

Are there any 'prime' slots that guests often ask for?

Are there any 'odd' slots that might be fun for some guests?
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:39:51 pm »
Well-said, thanks!

There is a limited amount of space in the sig line, so I chose to stick to just my Kumoricon positions.  I am willing to list what my other pertinent roles have been, however!  I would like to state, for the record, that I am fully aware that Kumoricon is Kumoricon and has its own unique and wonderful culture and I want to help preserve that, not change it to fit some other convention's ideals :-)

That being said, I have held the following positions:

Orycon (active staff member since 1990): Chair, Hotel Liaison, Guest Liaison, Daily 'zine Editor, Treasure Hunt Coordinator and writer/director/actor in eight Opening Ceremonies.

GameStorm (active staff member since 2004): Hotel Liaison, head of Hospitality (which feeds the entire 600 -> 800 person convention).  I also coordinate the now annual Miniature Painting Contest.

OSFCI (Oregon Science Fiction Conventions Inc.): Member since 1996; Board Member since 2007.

Westercon:  I have staffed two.  One as an Assistant to the Art Show Director, the other as a Guest Liaison.

@ Perky:
That is an amazing and varied repertoire. Very impressive. Having involved in both KC and so many other events in so many capacities, are there any specific differences in goals, structure, demographic, site culture, etc. unique to Kumoricon that have to frame differently your approach to promoting it to industry bigwigs, compared to comparable work in Science Fiction and Gaming cons?

@ All candidates: What unique goals do you have that are specific to it being the decade anniversary of KC this year?
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »
Since I'm not an expert in relations I'm not sure how the system typically works, however my understanding is that 'solid' details are only really possible very shortly before our convention happens to occur.

What will you do to try and work out free/potential/busy slots for Programming as early as possible so that preliminary versions of the schedule can be more easily drafted and later versions have fewer changes?

Actually Relations should have the bulk of their work done before everyone else.  Last year there were some unexpected setbacks, but I understand that in years past the Exhibit Hall and Artist's Alley have been fully booked shortly after Sakuracon (and since we won't have those *same* issues, I anticipate that will be back on a more normal timeline next year). 

Once we've booked our guests, getting their panels to Programming as soon as possible isn't an issue.  I've yet to speak to a guest of honor (in two years of booking them and dealing with panels, flights, etc.) who didn't already have a solid idea of what they wanted to do at the convention. 

Industry Guests are much the same, they know what they want to present.  You do have to maintain contact with them so Kumoricon stays fresh in their minds, of course. 

The last thing of any major import is the viewing permissions.  This is one of the few times Relations waits on Programming rather than the other way around.  But once we get the list of what Programming wants to show, Relations sends out the inquiries and permission forms and we wait for the responses. 

The only thing that really keeps going until late is soliciting things for the Charity Auction and the Swag Bags.  It's an on-going project!

My goal, should I be elected, would be to make sure that Programming gets the information they need when they need it.  Such as getting in the Panel forms as soon as that opens and starting on requesting viewing permissions as soon as we get their list.

Guests, honestly, vary quite a bit.  Some prefer everything during the day, others need their panels after the Exhibit Hall closes.  There really are no Prime Slots as far as they are concerned.

As for 'odd' slots...I'm not sure what you mean?  This year I did ask all the Guests of Honor if they'd judge the skits in the Cosplay Contest (they were all glad to do so).  Or do you mean, they want their panels at 2am or something?  (We have yet to book a vampire, AFAIK)

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »
@ Perky:
That is an amazing and varied repertoire. Very impressive. Having involved in both KC and so many other events in so many capacities, are there any specific differences in goals, structure, demographic, site culture, etc. unique to Kumoricon that have to frame differently your approach to promoting it to industry bigwigs, compared to comparable work in Science Fiction and Gaming cons?

@ All candidates: What unique goals do you have that are specific to it being the decade anniversary of KC this year?

I find Kumoricon to be a open and energetic group that is passionate about what they do.  In many ways it is just the subject and the internal structure that differs from some of the other groups that I've worked with.  Being in our first decade, Kumoricon has a few wonderful traditions, but not so many yet that we appear hidebound or stuffy to outsiders, which is something that Orycon, for example, constantly fights against.  Would I frame my approach differently when promoting it?  Not really.  I would show my love and enthusiasm and discuss what a fabulous convention we are.  That is a fairly universal and effective strategy I find.

Do I have a unique goal specific to our 10th anniversary?  Well, I would love to bring back some old favorites and perhaps some new guests that would excite and thrill our attendees....while not overloading Programming with too much content!  (We only have three days and a certain amount of panel space after all.)  Once elected, I would ask for assistance (both from Attendees on the Forum and from other Directors) in finding the guests that would be the perfect fit for us for such a significant anniversary.  I cannot say that I intend to go after X, Y or Z, even though I might, simply because I do not want to get people's hopes up for something I might not be able to deliver.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 10:14:28 pm »
It happens that I agree with everything said here so far. Ally wrote very excitedly and excitingly about plans that would dovetail efforts of Publicity and Relations in certain areas. If either of you would like to comment upon and expand upon those....

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »
What would you recommend to help the Charity Auction raise the maximum amount of money while keeping the live auction itself relatively close to ending on time?  (Seeing as how many who show up for the auction tend to leave so that they can watch the closing ceremonies, and all).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 10:23:23 pm »
What would you recommend to help the Charity Auction raise the maximum amount of money while keeping the live auction itself relatively close to ending on time?  (Seeing as how many who show up for the auction tend to leave so that they can watch the closing ceremonies, and all).

I think that the addition of the Silent Auction went over really well this year and would bring that back (as long as space permits)!  With directions on how to participate more clearly and prominently displayed and distributed, however.  Maybe tweak some things so that the bidding can continue on paper right up to  the Live Auction.  It was a new experiment that provided a very nice opportunity for people to come and see what was available, as well.

To raise the maximum amount of money?  Listening to the feedback at Rant and Rave, there was a feeling that personal, one-of-a-kind items made by fellow attendees are highly sought after in the auction.  Perhaps coming up with some sort of incentive to convince people to donate these handmade items...like a raffle to win a membership or an invite to the VIP reception (if they aren't already a VIP, of course)...we could do the drawing at Opening Ceremonies and show off a few choice items on the screens.

Thank you for such a thought provoking question!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
Regarding Dealer's Hall Booths, projected income from them is usually part of our budgeting process.  When providing booths for compensation other than money, what do you consider to be due diligence on this?  Should the Board or the Treasurer be informed?  If the trade is for prize support, should Programming be checked with to see if the support is the sort of items we want?  If it's for items we'd use as give-aways, should the booth cost be debited against Publicity's budget?  Is it appropriate for the con to be indirectly giving money to charity by providing free booths for auction items, and if so how do we reflect that budgeting internally?  While I am a fan of charity, is losing several hundred, or more, out of our budget the best way to get items? 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:33:34 am »
Regarding Dealer's Hall Booths, projected income from them is usually part of our budgeting process.  When providing booths for compensation other than money, what do you consider to be due diligence on this?  Should the Board or the Treasurer be informed?  If the trade is for prize support, should Programming be checked with to see if the support is the sort of items we want?  If it's for items we'd use as give-aways, should the booth cost be debited against Publicity's budget?  Is it appropriate for the con to be indirectly giving money to charity by providing free booths for auction items, and if so how do we reflect that budgeting internally?  While I am a fan of charity, is losing several hundred, or more, out of our budget the best way to get items? 

No matter if the booth is comped or not, keeping your co-Directors in the loop is definitely the best decision here.  If you are going to accept something for Prize Support or to be given away, I do feel it is important to discover if Prize Support wants it *first,* before you agree.  (Same for the Charity Auction.)

If such a trade is decided on, definitely the Treasurer at the very least should be informed!  If that is how they are "paying" for their booth, then it is income!

With regards to some of the other questions, like if Give-Aways donated in exchange for a booth should come out of Publicity's budget...that is something I would need to discuss with my co-Directors.  The "how do you reflect that budgeting internally" question is definitely a full-board decision and I would work with the board to make sure that whatever decision we all agreed on, I and my department would stand by it.

The bottom line, for me, I guess is, if we could take that same money and go buy something better/more...then the trade is not worth it and I would just smile and say, "I'm sorry, that's not something we are interested in right now."

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 04:26:29 pm »
Debra, you state you serve on the board of directors for another convention. If you are elected to this position, do you feel being on two boards will serve a conflict of interest? How are you or will you handle this?

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:11 pm »
Debra, you state you serve on the board of directors for another convention. If you are elected to this position, do you feel being on two boards will serve a conflict of interest? How are you or will you handle this?

OSFCI is an Umbrella for several funds and currently two conventions.  My position on the board currently is simply Board Member (not President, Treasurer or Secretary, in other words).  The duties of this board includes: hearing the reports of how each of the conventions, current and upcoming are doing; consider bids for upcoming conventions; hearing the reports on how the various funds are doing; and consider proposals for capital equipment and expenditures that are for more than one convention or for multiple years.

OSFCI itself does not run any conventions.  That is done by the chair of the winning convention bid and their committee and staff.

If this is considered to be a conflict of interest, however, I would step down from that position, either immediately or in February when I am up for reelection.  If elected to assist Kumoricon as the Director of Relations, I would most definitely put that position at the top of my priority list in this regard.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
Rathany's inquiries illustrate the complexity of financial decision-making implicit in accepting a Directorship in Relations. Debra (Perky) clearly has a background in evaluating financial proposals from all her Board work with OSFCI. Sarah, how would you describe your familiarity with subjects such as budgeting, negotiations, soliciting or accepting trades or in-kind donations and any potential budgetary offsets therefrom, etc.?

Each candidate: Are there any areas pertaining specifically training to chairing Relations, for this specific con, in which you feel you would benefit from additional supports, trainings, or instructions?

Each candidate: Have you selected whom you would ask to be your Assistant Director?

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 04:45:10 pm »
As each candidate is free to continue evaluating their selection for Assistant Director after they are elected I would like to suggest that answers for the question "Have you selected whom you would ask to be your Assistant Director?" be limited. Preferably, in my opinion, to the format: "No" or "I have a (relative size, small, short, long etc) list of prospective staff in mind."

Edit: forgot a comma
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:45:52 pm by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 06:39:29 pm »
Each candidate: Are there any areas pertaining specifically training to chairing Relations, for this specific con, in which you feel you would benefit from additional supports, trainings, or instructions?

Each candidate: Have you selected whom you would ask to be your Assistant Director?

My apologies for taking so long to reply.

For the second question:  No.  I've thought about it some, but it really seems like putting the cart before the horse.  First, I should concentrate on getting elected, I think! :-)

As for training, support or instructions question:  unfortunately there isn't a Handbook for Relations Directors!  As nice as that would be.  With the number of different personalities and styles as there are, no one method would really work for everyone.  For me, I think the best thing is just to make sure I keep those lines of communications open and remember that I don't have to have all the answers...I just need to be willing to go out and find them.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »
* nod * Thanks!

Have you thought about how, if at all, you might restructure the department, vis-a-vis Ally's mention of Relations-Publicity crossover and/or collaborative projects?

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 02:38:27 pm »
* nod * Thanks!

Have you thought about how, if at all, you might restructure the department, vis-a-vis Ally's mention of Relations-Publicity crossover and/or collaborative projects?

What I have heard of it does sound intriguing.  I would definitely be open to talking to her, should we both be elected, to figure out what is the best use of our resources and, as always, what is best for Kumoricon.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 06:32:11 pm »
* nod * Thanks!

What I have heard of it does sound intriguing.  I would definitely be open to talking to her, should we both be elected, to figure out what is the best use of our resources and, as always, what is best for Kumoricon.
* nod *

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 01:08:32 pm »
I am reshaping my questions into a statement.

I am taking off all my hats here and am saying this from the bottom of my heart as a person who also loves conventions and wants to see them improve. I've been staffing cons and have worked a ton of areas for eight years.

Amber, I fear the pressure of being an executive for ANY con, given your reputation, will be both unhealthy for you and the convention. From your campaign against the dealer's hall this year, it was obvious you were looking for the answer you wanted. At the executive level, getting the answers you want is close to impossible. You have to work as a team at this level, and disagreements will be had. Given how you reacted when the membership wanted to move on from the dealer's hall discussion at the Red Lion general meeting (to which I add, your shoving that door open nearly hit some people on the other side of the wall), you will not at all mesh well with anyone from the board, nor will anyone want to work with you.

From what I have read, you have zero leadership experience among conventions. This will be a major foible if you are elected. Nobody in the Relations department has worked with you, and I feel people who had to work with you regarding the dealer's hall will not want to.

I really think, and I'm sure a lot of people are convinced, that you want to run for relations because of your problems with the Dealer's Hall. You're going to have to explain that at elections, and "I'm not running jut because of Dealer's Hall" is not at all going to be a convincing answer. Relations is a lot more than the dealer's hall. You have to manage guests, you have the charity auction, artist's alley, green room, not to mention the industry. You have to delegate these things. If you put all or a majority of your chips into one area of your directorate, it will make you look like a bad director. You will have to work with other departments, whether you like those people or not.

If you go through with this, you're going to get grilled at elections. You're going to get asked tough questions. When you leave the room for membership discussion, things are going to be said that you will not like. You may not win. I for one, am worried how you will react if you do lose. I fear we will have a repeat of what we saw at the Red Lion meeting.

My advice to you is this: Do not run. Sit down with whomever is director and who will be dealer's hall manager, and brainstorm with them. You could have some fantastic ideas that could very much benefit the department. I really think you're going about wanting to change and help the convention in the wrong way by running, and if you lose, you will be even more upset with the issues you have than you already are. Offer to staff Relations and really show you want to help out. I do not think you are experienced enough to run an entire directorate at this time. Over time, who knows?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:10:32 am by Bresslol »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »
to all canidates.

I know its important for board members to be able to make it to meetings, which take place anywhere from Vancouver to Eugene, as well as board only meetings, do you have a reliable form of transportation, other then bus (not counting because of Eugene, and Board only might be at locations unavailable to get to by bus)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:31 am »
I'm going to ask this again for Relations, since it's a fun question to ask:

Have you zero resistance or restriction, what is one thing you would like to see Relations do in 2012?

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »
to all canidates.

I know its important for board members to be able to make it to meetings, which take place anywhere from Vancouver to Eugene, as well as board only meetings, do you have a reliable form of transportation, other then bus (not counting because of Eugene, and Board only might be at locations unavailable to get to by bus)

Having helped out with some Board stuff this year (due to being the Assistant Secretary), I can say that the Board has been very good about scheduling Board only meetings where and when people can get to them, or link in via Skype.  I have no worries about those!

For other meetings, most places again have been accessible via the bus.  For those in other cities...I've found that some people are really generous about ride-sharing.  You just have to ask and be prepared to do your part. 

For the record, though I do not own a car, I do have a valid license. 

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 06:30:56 pm »
I am reshaping my questions into a statement.

I am taking off all my hats here and am saying this from the bottom of my heart as a person who also loves conventions and wants to see them improve. I've been staffing cons and have worked a ton of areas for eight years.

Amber, I fear the pressure of being an executive for ANY con, given your reputation, will be both unhealthy for you and the convention. From your campaign against the dealer's hall this year, it was obvious you were looking for the answer you wanted. At the executive level, getting the answers you want is close to impossible. You have to work as a team at this level, and disagreements will be had. Given how you reacted when the membership wanted to move on from the dealer's hall discussion at the Red Lion general meeting (to which I add, your shoving that door open nearly hit some people on the other side of the wall), you will not at all mesh well with anyone from the board, nor will anyone want to work with you.

I was looking for an answer that made sense, not one that specifically suited my needs. None of the answers provided made sense and some of them contradicted what I had been told elsewhere. That was why I kept asking.

It wasn't that the membership wanted to move on. It was that they applauded the dismissal of the subject. It was demeaning and humilating.

From what I have read, you have zero leadership experience among conventions. This will be a major foible if you are elected. Nobody in the Relations department has worked with you, and I feel people who had to work with you regarding the dealer's hall will not want to.

Then you've read wrong. I've had quite a bit of leadership experience among conventions. Granted nothing of this level, but leadership just the same.

I really think, and I'm sure a lot of people are convinced, that you want to run for relations because of your problems with the Dealer's Hall. You're going to have to explain that at elections, and "I'm not running jut because of Dealer's Hall" is not at all going to be a convincing answer. Relations is a lot more than the dealer's hall. You have to manage guests, you have the charity auction, artist's alley, green room, not to mention the industry. You have to delegate these things. If you put all or a majority of your chips into one area of your directorate, it will make you look like a bad director. You will have to work with other departments, whether you like those people or not.

I understand that, and frankly I never thought I projected otherwise. That is the primary reason, but that doesn't mean for a moment that I come unprepared for any other part. I think it's an odd assumption that you think I'd put all my eggs in one basket. Do you expect the same of politicians who run on a key platform, that they'll ignore anything else? Yes, the dealer hall is my key platform, but I can and will turn my attention to whatever is needed to get the job done.

If you go through with this, you're going to get grilled at elections. You're going to get asked tough questions. When you leave the room for membership discussion, things are going to be said that you will not like. You may not win. I for one, am worried how you will react if you do lose. I fear we will have a repeat of what we saw at the Red Lion meeting.

Then you fear for nothing. I expect tough questions. I'm not a delicate flower or anything, and frankly you assume a lot about my behavor based on random incidents rather than an overall person. It shows that all you know from me is what you've seen from a few posts and one meeting, and really that's very very little.

My advice to you is this: Do not run. Sit down with whomever is director and who will be dealer's hall manager, and brainstorm with them. You could have some fantastic ideas that could very much benefit the department. I really think you're going about wanting to change and help the convention in the wrong way by running, and if you lose, you will be even more upset with the issues you have than you already are. Offer to staff Relations and really show you want to help out. I do not think you are experienced enough to run an entire directorate at this time. Over time, who knows?

I hope to be able to do that anyway, even if I lose. But if I win, I'll be in that position by default. If I lose it doesn't mean that I won't, somehow, be able to get into that circle anyway, or otherwise sit down with whoever wins.

Frankly, I don't expect to win. I would like it, as I think I could help the convention be the best it can be, but I know I'm entering into this as a dark horse with very little chance. But I run anyway, not only on that hope that I can pull it off, but also because I want to make a statement. Win or lose, I'm taking a stand, just as I said I would and people said I should.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:52 pm »
Then you've read wrong. I've had quite a bit of leadership experience among conventions. Granted nothing of this level, but leadership just the same.
Could you give some examples please.

I understand that, and frankly I never thought I projected otherwise. That is the primary reason, but that doesn't mean for a moment that I come unprepared for any other part. I think it's an odd assumption that you think I'd put all my eggs in one basket. Do you expect the same of politicians who run on a key platform, that they'll ignore anything else? Yes, the dealer hall is my key platform, but I can and will turn my attention to whatever is needed to get the job done.

Dealers hall is under relations, but the so are a lot of other responsibilities.  Where its your platform, you would be expected to handle others things and basically delegate who does handle dealers hall.  Who would you put in charge of dealers hall?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:54:44 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
Of course. I've worked with Creation Station since its inception, running events for it not only at Kumoricon but also at Sakura Con, Anime Evolution, and was one of three members to travel to Otafest to run events there. I've also run events independently of the Creation Station, in particular Fanfiction Bedtime Stories at Anime Evolution 2010.

As of this time I don't know who I would put in charge of dealers hall. Something like that couldn't be made lightly, nor could any other department heads, and can only be made after speaking with others in the same vein. In short, I'd have to see who else was available and what their ideas were before I could make that decision.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24:08 pm »
to all canidates.

I would also like to see the answer to this question from Blackjack. Not even a few months ago you made a statement saying that not all people could be on staff due to the lack of transportation. The way you phrased your response it sounded like you were talking about yourself. So is this still true? Or were you only saying that out of the dealers hall not turning out the way you planned?

Also for all candidates. I know that the dealers hall was an issue for some (I didn't ind it too much other than it was hard to get to the exit) so if elected, what will you do to improve it this year? If you decide to move it where will you move it to and what will you do with the other thing in its place? Like if you move the dealers hall to where the artist alley is where will you put the artist alley so such? Why would moving it be better than where it was? What are some possible problems where it might be as well?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:11:01 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 10:27:16 pm »

Then you fear for nothing. I expect tough questions. I'm not a delicate flower or anything, and frankly you assume a lot about my behavor based on random incidents rather than an overall person. It shows that all you know from me is what you've seen from a few posts and one meeting, and really that's very very little.

Amber, I can name two different con related events where I personally saw you punch a wall due to being upset.  One was at a K-Lite at PSU when the group of people going to St. Cupcake left before you showed up to join the group and the other was outside of a General Meeting at the Doubletree.  I feel that these two instances are enough to judge that you are not an appropriate person to be in an Executive Position or represent Kumoricon to Guests or Industry at any level. 

Sorry to be very direct, but that is my stance. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »
Why would that be a reason for me to say that? Those are two entirely unrelated topics.

Frankly my transportation is limited. I have an eye issue that, for the time being, prevents me from driving (it's the same issue that necessitates use of a walker at times, which you saw at the previous meeting as well as the con itself), and public transportation is limited in where it goes. Con meetings are oftentimes beyond that limit.

However, as staff, I would find an alternative, even if it meant attending via Skype. Hopefully I could attend in person, so my aim in that regard would be to find someone to get rides with. But I'd be there even if it had to be electronically.

Anyway, getting to some previous questions (I apologize for the late answers! Wasn't formally nominated until yesterday):

Are there any areas pertaining specifically training to chairing Relations, for this specific con, in which you feel you would benefit from additional supports, trainings, or instructions?

-Well, I'm always up for more education. And in general this would be a new experience for me, so of course I'd need advice on that. I think the same would be true of anybody seeking the position, first time or not.

-No I haven't, and I would need to speak with others about their inputs. I expanded on that above.

Anything that isn't absolutely confidential, and even then I would make sure to find out from whoever was telling me it was (ie, whoever I was in the process of ironing out contracts with) who, exactly, could be let in on things.

I would try to arrange at least a rough copy of the schedule a few months in advance, and post it for all to see so that any mistakes or panelist schedule conflicts could be worked out in plenty of time. I don't think that it's all that important to have fewer changes as long as those changes are of value, and as many conflicts as possible are worked out before we hit the press.

I can't say for sure, but I would think that they don't want to conflict with other similar guests, and don't want to be too early or too late. Same with any other panelist.

I can see a midnight chat being pretty fun, although I'm not sure what you mean by "odd". I recall an "up all night" panel at Sakura Con one time that, while unofficial and having no official guests, was an absolute riot as the night wore on.

What would you recommend to help the Charity Auction raise the maximum amount of money while keeping the live auction itself relatively close to ending on time?  (Seeing as how many who show up for the auction tend to leave so that they can watch the closing ceremonies, and all).

I would introduce online bidding, as well as the on-site bids. Perhaps we could provide a list of predecided lots in order as well, although I'd have to check on the feasability of that.

Regarding Dealer's Hall Booths, projected income from them is usually part of our budgeting process.  When providing booths for compensation other than money, what do you consider to be due diligence on this?  Should the Board or the Treasurer be informed?  If the trade is for prize support, should Programming be checked with to see if the support is the sort of items we want?  If it's for items we'd use as give-aways, should the booth cost be debited against Publicity's budget?  Is it appropriate for the con to be indirectly giving money to charity by providing free booths for auction items, and if so how do we reflect that budgeting internally?  While I am a fan of charity, is losing several hundred, or more, out of our budget the best way to get items?

I wouldn't provide a full compensation that way, although partial may be workable. Items offered should be cleared in advance, and of course the board and treasurer should be informed. Publicity should be approached seperately about this, hopefully by the vendors themselves.
Heck, I could see us implementing a concept similar to how charity drives often have an "admission fee" of a charitable item donation--ie, to be a vendor you pay x amount plus an item from your shop to be donated to the auction (which in turn provides advertising in the con book and at the auction itself).

Amber, I can name two different con related events where I personally saw you punch a wall due to being upset.  One was at a K-Lite at PSU when the group of people going to St. Cupcake left before you showed up to join the group and the other was outside of a General Meeting at the Doubletree.  I feel that these two instances are enough to judge that you are not an appropriate person to be in an Executive Position or represent Kumoricon to Guests or Industry at any level.  

And I hold that none of that has any bearing on my ability to make decisions. Also that first one couldn't have happened, because I left *with* the St Cupcake group.

Anyway, as I said, I'm an emotional person. Those emotions come out. I'm also an intelligent, rational person used to making important decisions that affect others (as a moderator of Bulbagarden Networks, a very large Pokémon website). As I've also said, I think the view that emotional people can't be effective leaders is foolish. Emotional expression has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to lead or make decisions.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »

Amber, I can name two different con related events where I personally saw you punch a wall due to being upset.  One was at a K-Lite at PSU when the group of people going to St. Cupcake left before you showed up to join the group and the other was outside of a General Meeting at the Doubletree.  I feel that these two instances are enough to judge that you are not an appropriate person to be in an Executive Position or represent Kumoricon to Guests or Industry at any level.  

And I hold that none of that has any bearing on my ability to make decisions. Also that first one couldn't have happened, because I left *with* the St Cupcake group.

Anyway, as I said, I'm an emotional person. Those emotions come out. I'm also an intelligent, rational person used to making important decisions that affect others (as a moderator of Bulbagarden Networks, a very large Pokémon website). As I've also said, I think the view that emotional people can't be effective leaders is foolish. Emotional expression has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to lead or make decisions.

But you don't deny that your being 'emotional' has led to punched walls?  I was a bystander in both cases and did not ask for clarification, so I may be fuzzy on why you wound up punching walls.

Director of a con is not a job where you sit at a computer and decide things.  It means running around with no sleep and calmly handling all sorts of situations at cons.  It means long, grueling meetings that go on until the matter is decided.  Being a Relations Director means many in person interactions where any sort of outburst could seriously damage this convention.  This position requires the skill set of being very social, calm and well-presented in person. 

There is also a difference between being emotional and having no ability to manage one's emotions. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:33:09 am »
I don't see how taking brief frustration out on an inanimate object is remotely comparable to "having no control".

Plus, you act as though I'm unaware of what this or any position entails. I know full well that it's going to be incredibly grueling. But at the same time, you seem to have a mistaken view of me as some uncontrollable person, and that simply isn't true.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 07:21:31 am »
Actions speak louder than words.

You were inches from concussing my roommate with that door at the meeting.

What's not to say you destroy someone's property at an exec meeting? What's not to say you'll injure someone with an outburst?

I said the majority of my peace via PM to you, but I want to you state this publicly:

Not once have you acknowledged your emotional outbursts as being wrong. That said, Please tell me how your outbursts are justified in dealing with disputes at an executive level.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 10:31:51 am »
I have removed this post on my own, now that the individual has withdrawn from the race.
The initial post had been contextualizing that neither I nor Creation Station should have been misunderstood to have endorsed the candidate, by virtue of her referencing work within CS  as the basis for her candidacy.
Included were pieces of evaluative information regarding that performance.

Thank you for understanding why I have removed the post.
Love,
Rem.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:15:35 am by RemSaverem »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:27 pm »
Nominations don't require a second, but it is permitted to second.

(Also, a note: Anything you add to a post in an edit I and anyone reading the thread by email sometimes won't see, so if you add important text or if it's a different topic, it's best to make another post. I only saw the question about nomination seconds cause somebody made a passing reference to it in an email to me.)
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 12:48:52 pm »
Nominations don't require a second, but it is permitted to second.

(Also, a note: Anything you add to a post in an edit I and anyone reading the thread by email sometimes won't see, so if you add important text or if it's a different topic, it's best to make another post. I only saw the question about nomination seconds cause somebody made a passing reference to it in an email to me.)

Thank you for the clarification. Thank you also for the reminder. Normally I post <<EDIT>> but since most of my edits were just adding bold, italics etc., and I was in a hurry at work, I forgot to this time.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »
Ellen, do you remember what the supposed incident WAS? It was that I was a bit loud when we were returning to the apartment and she feared I may wake her neighbors. That was it. It was nothing related to my behavior, and was quickly put in check when pointed out to me. That she took such great offense to it was not brought up to me until several months later, and not by her but by YOU. Frankly, the entire thing was grossly trumped up and had nothing whatsoever to do with convention behavior nor my professionalism.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 02:38:11 pm »
-redacted-
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:54:24 pm by Bresslol »

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »
Also for all candidates. I know that the dealers hall was an issue for some (I didn't ind it too much other than it was hard to get to the exit) so if elected, what will you do to improve it this year? If you decide to move it where will you move it to and what will you do with the other thing in its place? Like if you move the dealers hall to where the artist alley is where will you put the artist alley so such? Why would moving it be better than where it was? What are some possible problems where it might be as well?

The location of Dealer's Hall is not solely the Director of Relations' decision.  In fact, hotel layout is done primarily by Programming with Input from the other departments, because frankly, Programming is the Primary User of most of the space.

That said, I would work with the Director of Programming to see if there were some alternatives.  Last year was our first year in the new Combined Space of Two Hotels and yes, there were issues.  Having that experience under our belts, we will have a Much Better Idea of where the various things need to go.  I do see options available...but as this is a team effort, I will present mine to the team and work with them to come up with what is best for Kumoricon.

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:08 pm »
I'm going to ask this again for Relations, since it's a fun question to ask:

Have you zero resistance or restriction, what is one thing you would like to see Relations do in 2012?

Zero resistance or restrictions?  Ooo...I would love to see if we could sweet talk a Japanese Seiyuu or Mangaka to come.  I would also enjoy inviting back some of our favorite guests of years past. 

In fact, I do intend (if elected) to push my budget to the limit to bring in so much Awesome that the Director of Programming will give me one of her looks and tell me that if I invite one more person she will take away my chocolate privileges and so that our Attendees whine because there is so much they want to see that they can't do it all *grin*   It's the Big 10 and I want it to be Memorable!  (In a good way...)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »

Even if an industry personality is being "demeaning" or condescending (which I would imagine is quite possible), at the very least, being the Relations Director who deals with them requires maintaining a businesslike demeanor. Privately venting your true feelings afterward would be completely understandable. But venting at them (particularly in a manner that would be perceived as a warning sign for workplace violence if it happened in a business environment) would be disastrous.

Right now, we're in a position where we can at least dream of getting Japanese industry guests. If we became known as the con where the Relations Director (accidentally) broke a guest's nose while venting, getting any guests at all would become a dream. Even continuing to exist might be a dream.

I'd like to believe that the reason for the emotional outbursts is that you have a lot of passion for this con, and for wanting things to be better. Those are really positive traits, and we need constructive criticism from people who feel strongly enough to voice it. But what we need from a Relations Director is someone who can listen to that criticism without losing their composure.

Ellen, do you remember what the supposed incident WAS? It was that I was a bit loud when we were returning to the apartment and she feared I may wake her neighbors. That was it. It was nothing related to my behavior, and was quickly put in check when pointed out to me. That she took such great offense to it was not brought up to me until several months later, and not by her but by YOU. Frankly, the entire thing was grossly trumped up and had nothing whatsoever to do with convention behavior nor my professionalism.

With all due respect, this is becoming a clear pattern of why people are saying that you can't be trusted with Directorship. It's one thing to be misunderstood; that happens. It's also one thing to think you're in the right and everyone else is wrong; that happens as well. In life, unlikely as it sounds, sometimes it's actually true.

But when everyone else is wrong every time, and when you take it as a gross insult every time you feel like you're being misunderstood, that creates the potential for some very ugly drama. If no one - not even one of the gentlest and most positive people I know - can offer constructive criticism without getting you angry, then it's not a matter of "if" you blow up at someone in a completely inappropriate manner. It's a matter of "when" and "how often".

And when everyone else is always wrong in trying to criticize you, then that logically leads to two conclusions: Either we're all a horribly unhealthy group of people to hang out with (and you'd be well-shut of us), or you're not being honest with yourself or with others about what's going on.

~~~~~~~~~~

This does actually bring up a tough subject, which I would like to address to Perky (Debra) and to Koryu (Sarah):
  • Can you tell us about a situation where you felt you were being treated unfairly or unprofessionally, but you were able to turn the situation into a positive? How did you do so?

<EDIT> Redacted out a question.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:58:59 pm by @random »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »
I am going to sum up as best I can why you will make a horrible director, Amber, since it's shown in this thread.

When being accused of something, you have done your damnedest to not take any responsibilty for ANYTHING. You've done nothing but deflect. That's good for a politician in Washington. At the nonprofit convention level, it's political suicide.

I've screwed up as a staffer sometimes, one or twice pretty badly. You know what I didn't do? This:

Quote from: Bresslol on Today at 07:14:31 AM
Quote from: BlackjackGabbiani
I was looking for an answer that made sense, not one that specifically suited my needs. None of the answers provided made sense and some of them contradicted what I had been told elsewhere. That was why I kept asking.

It wasn't that the membership wanted to move on. It was that they applauded the dismissal of the subject. It was demeaning and humilating.

Yet you're unapologetic you almost hit two people with that door? You put people's safety in danger over your frustration.

So what, do people check behind every door they open? You're asking me to have worked on knowledge that I couldn't possibly have had. Besides, when I opened that door, there were three people in FRONT of it, but not a single one within range of it. You're exaggerating the situation by gross means.

Let me remind you that you were INCHES from concussing my roommate. The force you put on that door was enough to seriously hurt someone, so no deflecting this.

When I screw up, I take responsibility for my actions. Guess what? Our mistakes, if we learn from them, make us better people. I've seen nothing of the sort that has proved that about you.

Also, the person who was giving you even a modicum of defense or reassurance is scared for her own safety in coming to the meeting. But knowing you and from what you have said, that doesn't concern you one bit. All you have your eyes on is trying to become a Director, and to Hades with everything else.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:36:37 pm by Bresslol »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 08:28:45 pm »
Amber you have said several times that you are emotional. That can be good. It is good when a person takes what they have to heart and when they feel like they did something right, they are overjoyed, and when they did something wrong, they feel like they personally failed. This is good, it leads to good results by a person. What I fear is your public display of your emotions, which have been seen here on the forums, as well as several times in person. What I fear is, like other have said, you might hurt someone or yourself, but more importantly, what I fear is what others might think of your displays of emotions. For example, from what I understand Director of Relations works with the Guest of Honors, I fear that you may get overly emotional and set a very bad image for Kumoricon, causing that guest not to return and tell their friends about what happened which may ultimately make it very difficult to get guests in the future. If you were elected, how would you insure that this would not happen since we have seen several embarrassing displays of your emotions?

I must say I agree with most of the people here. I don't think this position is right for you, though you are entitled to your fair vote. I think you would be better off holding a position under the relations dealing with venders hall since you have not fully convinced me that you want to do this job for any other reason than your bad experience with the vendors hall in 2011. You say that you are interested in the other aspects of the job but, like I said, I am not convinced that you really are.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:30:30 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 09:28:38 pm »

Nikkiolie, I have to say, I'm not sure what these "embarassing displays of (my) emotions" are that you're talking about because absolutely none of them have been embarassing to me. They've been normal emotional displays that keep me at an even keel. For that matter, none of them have happened around guests. For you to extrapoliate them to such a degree is, once again, baseless. Perhaps I've fangirled a bit, but that's par for the course at these events.

You can be unconvinced. Frankly, I think that says more about you than me. If you want, let me know how to get hooked up with that position anyway though, since I do confess and have never attempted to say otherwise that vendor hall is my *primary* interest. Not my *exclusive* interest though, and I do want that kept in mind.

Alright I will name several accounts. A mod has mentioned two times when you have punched a wall within this thread. The issue at the meeting which bressler is talking about when you slammed open the door, I'm not even talking about you getting close to hitting someone or not, just slamming the door open is embarrassing. I have also been told about an event back in 2004 where you were excited about a pokemon thing and someone said a rather insulting comment to you and you flipped out, and I was told this from people who have witnessed it first hand. Your reaction to the whole dealers hall issue this year was a little over the top. Yes you should be upset but how it was handled was embarrassing from several peoples point of view. What you don't seem to understand is it doesn't matter HOW YOU PERCEIVE YOUR ACTIONS AND EMOTIONS, WHAT MATTERS IS HOW OTHERS PERCEIVE IT. You may say your actions are not embarrassing but in fact I, and several other people, find all your over reactions to be very embarrassing.

And you said that me being unconvinced is saying something about me, but in fact it also says something about you. It shows me that you are not giving me any reason to give you this position. As a nominee it is YOUR JOB to convince people to vote for you. So far everyone has mentioned some faults and you have not once admitted to doing them and there is NO MENTION of changing these behaviors. Wither you think it or not, these actions that countless people have witnessed you doing, are not socially acceptable. Fine for you to do them in private or with close friends but it is flat out not socially acceptable to do them in a public setting. As a director you are a role model, a leader, and you have not convinced me that you are capable of doing that.

Offline Yanagiba

• Cabbit
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »
When I screw up, I take responsibility for my actions. Guess what? Our mistakes, if we learn from them, make us better people. I've seen nothing of the sort that has proved that about you.

Also, the person who was giving you even a modicum of defense or reassurance is scared for her own safety in coming to the meeting. But knowing you and from what you have said, that doesn't concern you one bit. All you have your eyes on is trying to become a Director, and to Hades with everything else.

My eyes are on improving the convention. You are the only one making this entirely about me. You've directed more towards me than anyone else, and basically singlehandedly turned all attention in this thread to me and only me.

Well, I would say it's perfectly understandable, considering we've already heard a lot from Debra for most of the first two pages of this thread. Plus people would obviously have more questions for someone who they are less familiar with, especially a candidate who has no experience with this department.

Nikkiolie, I have to say, I'm not sure what these "embarassing displays of (my) emotions" are that you're talking about because absolutely none of them have been embarassing to me. They've been normal emotional displays that keep me at an even keel. For that matter, none of them have happened around guests. For you to extrapoliate them to such a degree is, once again, baseless. Perhaps I've fangirled a bit, but that's par for the course at these events.

It isn't about whether you were embarrassed by the displays of emotion. The displays of emotion are embarrasing to the convention. Despite what you or even the people involved with the convention may think, the organizations we interact with, such as the hotels for instance, will have a bad image of our group for this. This is not acceptable. Especially as one of the leaders of the organization. That is what everyone is trying to get across to you.

If you really want to stand any sort of chance in this election Blackjack, I suggest you sit down and go through the posts in this thread once more. Take note of all of the things that people have commented on as being a problem. Then, please look at how you can address these issues. Simply saying they aren't a problem will get you nowhere. I'm sure that at the election meeting, these issues will be addressed yet again, and that will be your chance to prove that you can actually listen to the complaints of others and come to an appropriate solution that everyone can be happy with. Even if you don't win, this kind of action would possibly help to show you can handle a normal staff position even.
2011-2016  Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2010  Live Events Manager
2007  Assistant Tech Manager
2006  Programming Grunt
2005  Volunteer (practically staff)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »
I want you to work staff. I think you swill probably have great ideas. I, and sounds like everyone else here, just doesn't think you are good for the DIRECTORS position. Meet-up with who wins and work under them. I think it is great you are so passionate about this. That is wonderful, but you are not a good person to represent and lead several others. Lots of people don't respect you so I think you would run into problems with that as well. So please, join staff, let your problems known, help out as much as possible.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:21:18 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 10:06:52 pm »
And what I must say based on your response to everything. Excuse us, you are the perfect goddess and nothing you do is wrong at all. We should bow down and worship you since everyone on this thread is wrong and you are the only one that is right. Please forgive my ignorance.

Let's please not make comments like these? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:09:43 pm by Bresslol »

Offline Perky

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:31 am »
This does actually bring up a tough subject, which I would like to address to Perky (Debra) and to Koryu (Sarah):
  • Can you tell us about a situation where you felt you were being treated unfairly or unprofessionally, but you were able to turn the situation into a positive? How did you do so?
Wow.  Actually, I can't.  I tried to write it up in such a way that it would not be offensive or demeaning to the other person(s) involved and...it was barely recognizable as a coherent sentence anymore.  What I did was a variation of what I try to do whenever I am in such a situation.  I verify that there is an issue and it not simply a misunderstanding; I contact those who are able to offer me support and let them know of the issue; I make sure that, no matter what, we give the illusion of a united front to those looking at us from the outside; and I swallow my pride and do what is best for the Organization.

Bear in mind that I am not some sort of saint!  I do go to my trusted-not-to-blab friends to vent and I do talk to myself in the privacy of my own home and I second guess myself all the time...but I will always do my best to not air my dirty laundry in public or be a detriment to this (or any other) convention.

Does that answer the question or did I simply talk around it?  (If so, I apologize and will make another stab at it tomorrow or at the Elections meeting.)