Poll

What would you consider the most annoying thing at an anime convention?

I lost the game
97 (44.9%)
How do I get into voice acting?
19 (8.8%)
Two thirds of the cosplays being the same characters
46 (21.3%)
Autograph lines taking too long
9 (4.2%)
Other (specify)
45 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Author Topic: Most annoying thing at an anime convention  (Read 470683 times)

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
Re: Most annoying thing at an anime convention
« Reply #450 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:56 am »
Something that really got to me one year was being ridiculed for my sexual preference and being called the f-word (not the 4-letter one, but the 3 or 6-letter one) for simply holding hands with my boyfriend at the time.  And that was really heartbreaking to me, as I've come to know the anime and cosplay community to be very accepting of LGBT folk, such as myself and many others on here.  Really, there should be no room for hate like that in this world, let alone Kumoricon. 

I mean, I know that not everyone can be completely comfortable with the gay steamroller (see: The Oatmeal's Gay Steamroller), but keeping to common courtesy: If you can't say anything nice...Please shut your trap, go home and stay there for the remainder of the convention to think long and hard about why you're such a closed-minded hemorrhoid on the posterior of society.         /rant                                I feel better now.   ;D
Prince McKupo is back in the action, baby!  Kupo!  Now, as for my "cooling down" cosplay: Jude Mathis, with both his Xillia 1 (100%) and Xillia 2 (100%) outfits.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #451 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:22 am »
Something that really got to me one year was being ridiculed for my sexual preference and being called the f-word (not the 4-letter one, but the 3 or 6-letter one) for simply holding hands with my boyfriend at the time.  And that was really heartbreaking to me, as I've come to know the anime and cosplay community to be very accepting of LGBT folk, such as myself and many others on here.  Really, there should be no room for hate like that in this world, let alone Kumoricon. 

I mean, I know that not everyone can be completely comfortable with the gay steamroller (see: The Oatmeal's Gay Steamroller), but keeping to common courtesy: If you can't say anything nice...Please shut your trap, go home and stay there for the remainder of the convention to think long and hard about why you're such a closed-minded hemorrhoid on the posterior of society.         /rant                                I feel better now.   ;D

Nobody should feel uncomfortable about their sexual preference at con. If someone says something like that to you, let a staffer know next time.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2014, 12:17:27 pm »

This is worse than what was said to me..That's terrible..
Mine I already put in this thread but it was:
The RUDE people. Most of the people are nice and if not saying anything at all which is neither good nor bad, they might say "nice cosplay" at the least..But then there's the a-holes..Like the one on day) last year..I was in my Lolita outfit. I am a male who crossplays and crossdresses, there is nothing wrong with that. However, this one guy with his buddy (the buddy didn't say anything) had to say "why a girl? Cosplay Naruto, or Bleach, or Inuyasha..Why not one of them?"..I replied "Because I hate all 3 of those anime's..Don't be an ass mind your own business."
It's like, dude, mind your own damn business..

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #453 on: August 18, 2014, 03:42:02 am »
^ exactly and more people should be like you and be willing to say how uncool it is when they hear of these plans being made.

hahah hand hugs

I was actually thinking of starting a sticker campaign kinda like the singles thing. But a sticker on the badge that means you are anti-cosplay bullying and here to help make your day better and be a person you can talk to if you have had a bad con day due to people being rude.

Ooh, I'd be up for that. Anyone able to run some stickers off?

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #454 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:19 am »
I got really pissed off at people for judging someone in a fur suit. Not all of them are into freaky stuff and usually if they are that is kept in their private life. There is no need to act like a couple of B****es and start talking crap RIGHT BEHIND THE PERSON. I went up and hugged them and said their costume was adorable because I cant see their face but that had to have not been fun to listen to for the 2 block walk to the Red Lion.

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #455 on: August 18, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »
What really irks me, and i know this has been covered before. People who have an elitist attitude/toxic, or more of just being a bully. They act like their way is law, and anyone who thinks or acts different is wrong. The only way they can get away with acting like this is if they have lots of friends like themselves to back them up. Another thing is that you could have done nothing to make them mad at you or anything (at least something you are aware of) and they will still treat you the same. No matter how  they tell you to act  they will never be friendly with you, their insecurity/ego would not allow it. They don't want anyone to mess up their little fantasy world they have made for themselves.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #456 on: August 18, 2014, 01:09:49 pm »
^ exactly and more people should be like you and be willing to say how uncool it is when they hear of these plans being made.

hahah hand hugs

I was actually thinking of starting a sticker campaign kinda like the singles thing. But a sticker on the badge that means you are anti-cosplay bullying and here to help make your day better and be a person you can talk to if you have had a bad con day due to people being rude.

Ooh, I'd be up for that. Anyone able to run some stickers off?

If you wanna check out the anti bully thread in the plan your own adventure forum, I'm going to make a ton of bows to wear on the Badge clip. But this is something for next year

Offline Raedesu

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • My cosplay Page
« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
The most annoying thing that I have ever seen at an anime convention is the glomp circle. It's unnessesary, and is a HUGE fire hazard. And every year it gets bigger and bigger, and two years ago at Sakuracon I actually had my costume (Which was hard enough to walk in), stepped on, to which it tore a hole in it. When I said something, I was called the B word, but I had worked incredibly hard on my costume, and did not appreciate not even an apology when my costume got ripped by someone who was involved with the glomp circle. It's also incredibly hard to get to and from not only hotels, but to plan shoots in the areas where the glomp circle takes place.

I haven't been to Kumoricon in a few years, so I don't know if this is a thing that happens at Kumoricon, but I hope it NEVER gets as big as it does at Sakuracon, because honestly, it was fun for a while, but now it's just annoying, and a huge fire hazard, and everyone is done with it.
Kumoricon 2014 tentative schedule:
Friday: Great Saiyaman/Kotoko Aihara
Saturday: Shiemi Moriyama/Shindo Shuichi
Sunday: Bulma Brief
Monday: TBD

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
« Reply #458 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:55 pm »
The most annoying thing that I have ever seen at an anime convention is the glomp circle. It's unnessesary, and is a HUGE fire hazard. And every year it gets bigger and bigger, and two years ago at Sakuracon I actually had my costume (Which was hard enough to walk in), stepped on, to which it tore a hole in it. When I said something, I was called the B word, but I had worked incredibly hard on my costume, and did not appreciate not even an apology when my costume got ripped by someone who was involved with the glomp circle. It's also incredibly hard to get to and from not only hotels, but to plan shoots in the areas where the glomp circle takes place.

I haven't been to Kumoricon in a few years, so I don't know if this is a thing that happens at Kumoricon, but I hope it NEVER gets as big as it does at Sakuracon, because honestly, it was fun for a while, but now it's just annoying, and a huge fire hazard, and everyone is done with it.

I agree.

There is a glomp circle at Kumoricon, and it does get quite large. However, it's outside in the grassy area of the park so it's not much of a hassle. It just gets really loud and if you're sitting near it people may try to get you to play it (or even include you in it without your permission). Also if you're sitting near it, the circle will probably grow which may cause you to move out of it's way. :)
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »
Oh, one thing I remembered, people putting you down for scars, saying it ruins the cosplay
That's a problem I've been having. I get people telling me to stop cosplaying because my scars ruin it.

if someone has scars, don't point it out.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »
Oh, one thing I remembered, people putting you down for scars, saying it ruins the cosplay
That's a problem I've been having. I get people telling me to stop cosplaying because my scars ruin it.

As with a lot of the entries on this thread... it really makes me sad that people need to be told these things.  :(

I would hate to run into anyone so unaware of the rules of civil behavior that they could even think this is acceptable, and I'm sorry that you've ever had to deal with such people.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2014, 03:52:39 am »

If you're interested, I believe that many types of scars can be hidden via make-up.  If not, I would hope that you wouldn't let the cosplay Nazis ruin your fun.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #462 on: August 22, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »

I think glomping in general needs to stop altogether, it's not fun.

A lot of people get knocked over and they may have anxiety or health problems that can be aggravated by the 'pile-driving' or shrieking as someone runs up and grabs them.
Some people standing behind the intended targets can be knocked over or punched in the face, costumes get ruined...

Personally, whenever a person asks me for a hug, I'm happy to give them one because they're calm and polite and I don't have to worry about getting injured.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2014, 01:34:55 am »

If you're interested, I believe that many types of scars can be hidden via make-up.  If not, I would hope that you wouldn't let the cosplay Nazis ruin your fun.
I shouldn't have to hide my scars because I'm afraid it'll offend some cosplay elitist who thinks it's bad. Those are the same kind of people who think a little pudge on the stomach or cheeks ruins a costume. That toxic attitude is not worth letting it sully your day, costume, or convention.
I have a huge birthmark on one of my legs, and I don't like wearing many of my costumes because I'm sure some day, someone will notice it and comment on it. The fact that I even worry about it upsetting someone is stupid and annoying.
I have a birthmark on my neck that someone in highschool thought was a hickey, and it felt like I was in the wrong to point out to her that it's just a birthmark. People have scars, people have dark patches. Maybe my scar is from a cat, maybe it's from a freak accident when I was 9; it's none of your business where the scar is from unless you know me personally.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2014, 10:46:48 am »

I shouldn't have to hide my scars because I'm afraid it'll offend some cosplay elitist who thinks it's bad. Those are the same kind of people who think a little pudge on the stomach or cheeks ruins a costume. That toxic attitude is not worth letting it sully your day, costume, or convention.
I have a huge birthmark on one of my legs, and I don't like wearing many of my costumes because I'm sure some day, someone will notice it and comment on it. The fact that I even worry about it upsetting someone is stupid and annoying.
I have a birthmark on my neck that someone in highschool thought was a hickey, and it felt like I was in the wrong to point out to her that it's just a birthmark. People have scars, people have dark patches. Maybe my scar is from a cat, maybe it's from a freak accident when I was 9; it's none of your business where the scar is from unless you know me personally.

In Washougal's defense, they weren't telling anyone that they should or need to wear makeup...

I believe that cosplayers can and should do whatever they want with their bodies and their costumes; it's always their business and choice.

No one likes an elitist, no one likes a person who dictates what a person should/shouldn't be/wear/do or say; they'll always be out there in the world but it's important to remember to love and be kind to yourself. You choose the costume and you choose the way you want to wear it, regardless of who you are or what you look like!
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #465 on: August 25, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »
Thank you, Valkyrie.

If you were to have read the first three words in my previous post, veraca, you would've seen that I had indicated that it was an option.  If you had also read the last sentence (which shouldn't have been hard, on account of there only being two), you would've noticed that I indicated that nobody should bully someone else into cosplaying how they see fit.  To conclude, my message was intended for BrokenPsyche, not you.  I gave no words of advice to you, nor any "commands" on what you should do.  I have a gnarly scar, myself, and I don't give a [CENSORED] what people think of it.  All that I did was give a recommendation to someone else who might have been interested.  Don't be a jerk.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #466 on: August 25, 2014, 04:57:22 pm »
Something I find annoying, tying into some previous conversations (though not about anybody in them, just the subject matter) is how people will report bullying and harassment AFTER the con and not DURING, because if you wait, nothing can really be done about it because you don't have any proof. DURING the con you can at least find eyewitnesses, but afterwards the odds of that plummet.

PLEASE, for the safety of you and everyone, REPORT WRONGDOING DURING THE CONVENTION.

Also, I don't think glomping itself should be banned. Just ask first.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #467 on: August 25, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »
PLEASE, for the safety of you and everyone, REPORT WRONGDOING DURING THE CONVENTION.

This.

The staff can do something about it if someone is trying to ruin other people's convention experience, but only if we see it or hear about it during the convention. It breaks our hearts (and it happens every year) when we hear about griefers ruining people's con... after it's too late to effectively address it.

(For the record, I'm not speaking on behalf of the convention. Just myself.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:43:30 pm by @random »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #468 on: August 25, 2014, 06:03:52 pm »
Something I find annoying, tying into some previous conversations (though not about anybody in them, just the subject matter) is how people will report bullying and harassment AFTER the con and not DURING, because if you wait, nothing can really be done about it because you don't have any proof. DURING the con you can at least find eyewitnesses, but afterwards the odds of that plummet.

Also, I don't think glomping itself should be banned. Just ask first.

Agreed, thank you for bringing that up! :D

Everybody, if someone is harassing you or someone else - please report them, it curbs any more incidents with them and other attendees.

If you can, try to get a picture of the person(s) on your camera or phone, and write down what their name/badge number is so that con staff can properly identify them and kick them out/ban them.

I hear a lot of stories of people being verbally or physically harassed (not at Kcon, but elsewhere) and it's an awkward situation and they always say that they feel bad about reporting someone because 'they might be a good person, they're just wild today' or 'I don't want drama' or they worry about being blamed for their treatment because of what they wore and such.

Your first priority should be your comfort and safety, everything else comes second!
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #469 on: August 25, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »
And the comfort and safety of those around you. Witnesses can report stuff too.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:55 am »
Thank you, Valkyrie.

If you were to have read the first three words in my previous post, veraca, you would've seen that I had indicated that it was an option.  If you had also read the last sentence (which shouldn't have been hard, on account of there only being two), you would've noticed that I indicated that nobody should bully someone else into cosplaying how they see fit.  To conclude, my message was intended for BrokenPsyche, not you.  I gave no words of advice to you, nor any "commands" on what you should do.  I have a gnarly scar, myself, and I don't give a [CENSORED] what people think of it.  All that I did was give a recommendation to someone else who might have been interested.  Don't be a jerk.
I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk. I do sincerly apologize if that was the tone.
 What I meant is what I said though, that I, or no one, should feel like we have to hide a scar, or part of our body, because we're afraid to upset someone (ie. a stranger). I believe it's a very sad world we live in that people feel the need to cover their scars. If some stranger makes a fuss about a scar or part of your body, maybe they're the one with the problem- maybe they're the one wanting to hide something; and you should never let what they say get you down.
If someone really wants to hide a scar, tattoo or dark patches, make-up is great ways to go about it, and you're absolutely right.
Kumori'15

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #471 on: September 01, 2014, 01:28:26 am »
I have to say the 18+ panels.
Ok there is a place  adult subjects but  there no reason to dwell 1/2 hour on vuger sex innuendo or a n F-bomb every third word.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #472 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:07 am »
I have to say the 18+ panels.
Ok there is a place  adult subjects but  there no reason to dwell 1/2 hour on vuger sex innuendo or a n F-bomb every third word.

While it's not my least favorite part of conventions I agree with you on this. While I love the fact that 18+ panels have the ability to speak freely, and do their thing however they want, people don't use the freedom that way. A lot of people instead decide to be completely over the top vulgar or throw sex in your face. I feel like there's not a lot of middle ground, things are either for kids or for the really raunchy adults. Kinda sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I love humor like that sometimes, but it has to be done right otherwise it's just too much/uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:51:13 am by Romo »
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline Ashok

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #473 on: September 01, 2014, 07:03:56 pm »
I feel like there's not a lot of middle ground, things are either for kids or for the really raunchy adults. Kinda sucks.

I must agree about not having a lot of middle ground, I am not old enough yet to attend the 18+ panels but at the same time it would be nice to have either some slightly dirty humor or at least certain cuss words that are avoided at panels for all ages due to younger people. At the Black Butler panel this year, there was a joke that people wanted to hear but it wasn't something for younger audiences since we had two young children in the crowd.

(I completely understand why Kumoricon has the 18+ panels in place for that stuff but it does get a little annoying attempting to keep everything rated G for the younger crowds, it might be a hassle but why not like 16+ panels or something where you can add some more words or humor that would be avoided otherwise but not going to far. My point might be stupid here, but I guess its what I feel, I will be 18 soon anyway so it won't really matter.) (really sorry this thing is a lil fricked up, still pretty new to the forums so I don't understand the quoting stuff and such so this message is going to look a lil weird sorry - Ashok)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:05:20 pm by Ashok »

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #474 on: September 01, 2014, 08:15:56 pm »
Perhaps one of the most annoying things for me was loud squealing in the hotel ;w; i guess it's to be expected, though. I don't particularly like when people randomly shout out in panels or interupt the panelists....But perhaps the most annoying thing was girls kissing me without permission? I was dressed as Tamaki from OHSHC and if they asked, I'd be fine with a cheek kiss. Most girls did, of course, but some just for it. I ended up with black face paint/lipstick on me and it was sorta irritating, especially when I spent time on foundation and what not only to vigorously wipe my face to get it off owo other than this, con was fantastic for me!

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #475 on: September 03, 2014, 04:56:24 am »
People petting my service dog over and over again without permission.

She eventually had to stay home and I just used my service human.

Offline Hillopurkki

• Cabbit
    • My Art Blog
« Reply #476 on: September 03, 2014, 11:31:16 am »
People petting my service dog over and over again without permission.

She eventually had to stay home and I just used my service human.

I think I remember you (wasn't your dog's name Nova or something like that, and she was dressed as chibi moon?).

I was always careful to ask people with dogs if they were fine with being petted, because as someone who has friends with service dogs, I was pretty aware that not all of them appreciate/need petting.

Terve, Maria, armoitettu,  Herra sinun kanssasi.
I literally can only remember the Hail Mary in Finnish, nothing else hahaha.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #477 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:31 pm »
My only huge complaint this year was Sunday night, some people in the Red Lion talking boisterously and laughing at 3am. My roommate had to ask them to be quiet and remind them that there's people actually trying to sleep, after the group had been talking for nearly 30 minutes. They did quiet down after that, but if you want to talk that loud, go to the end of the hall at the stairs or down into the lobby...
Kumori'15

Offline marissaofunderground

• Cabbit
    • The Peculiar Pink Pixie
« Reply #478 on: September 04, 2014, 12:15:49 am »
This year, for me it was constantly being asked for my picture. Normally I only have sporadic requests throughout the day, like once every couple of hours, or just once in an hour, then I get a picture request five hours later. But when I was Anna on Day 1, nobody would leave me alone! Every minute, another picture request, everywhere I went. I couldn't text, take pictures, go to panels or the bathroom, or eat in peace. It got so bad I had to make a sign telling people to stop, I had had enough. Lesson learned: Never cosplay as a character on the Bingo list ever again. I certainly won't reprise my Anna cosplay next year after what happened this year. Oddly enough, Pinkie Pie is on the list as well, but I get the request far less often (once every few hours or so, maybe 3-4 in two hours but not every few minutes and being stopped and hounded constantly like I did as Anna), probably due to the fact that she's been on the list since 2012 and there are a lot more Pinkie cosplayers out there. I enjoy people admiring my cosplay and wanting pictures, but too much is too much.
Kumoricon 2015 cosplays:
Day 1-2: Lapis Lazuli (Steven Universe)
Day 2-3: Vivi (Mystery Skulls Animated - Ghost)
Day 4: Undecided

Offline Ichiro

• Oni
« Reply #479 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:49 am »
People asking for a picture after I just took off my fursuit head. That thing is seriously HOT!

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2014, 07:32:08 am »
People asking for a picture after I just took off my fursuit head. That thing is seriously HOT!

I definitely agree with this one.  Honestly, people do need to recognize when a mascot cosplayer is taking a rest.  Though, in hindsight, I could have just respectfully declined, but still...I wouldn't take a picture of someone who is visibly suffering, hehe... Also!  Knocking on the side of my head to get my attention, that really ground my gears, but held my annoyance until I got back to my room and punched a pillow.

Oh, and another complaint I had was people being seemingly unable to close their room doors quietly at the Hilton, I had to deal with slamming doors well past 9pm through all 5 days (including Day 0).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:39:27 am by Prince McKupo »
Prince McKupo is back in the action, baby!  Kupo!  Now, as for my "cooling down" cosplay: Jude Mathis, with both his Xillia 1 (100%) and Xillia 2 (100%) outfits.

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #481 on: September 07, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »
Another thing that can be annoying is someone grabbing a Furry Cosplayer's tail I'm guilty of this offense, but I've never committed this offense at Kumoricon.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:56:29 pm by Otaku_24 »
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline Cal the Tactcian

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Jabber
    • Twitter
« Reply #482 on: September 12, 2014, 03:37:08 pm »
I was cosplaying as Wizard King Cartman, and multiple times I had people talking about references, and I don't understand these references or what to say afterwards considering I don't play the game nor watch all South Park episodes. I'm sorry guys, just because I cosplay as someone popular doesn't mean I come with all the knowledge of the fandom :/

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #483 on: September 12, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »
You don't think it's just sort of implied by cosplaying something that you actually enjoy the thing you're cosplaying from? I'm all for not making assumptions about other people, but if I saw someone cosplaying from something I loved, my first thought would be that they had some connection to the fandom, some reason more than just "it's a popular character".

I don't know what you could do to curb these misconceptions aside from wearing a sign that says "I'm not actually that into South Park". I think for the majority of people, cosplay implies a passion or investment in a fandom.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #484 on: September 12, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
This year, for me it was constantly being asked for my picture. Normally I only have sporadic requests throughout the day, like once every couple of hours, or just once in an hour, then I get a picture request five hours later. But when I was Anna on Day 1, nobody would leave me alone! Every minute, another picture request, everywhere I went. I couldn't text, take pictures, go to panels or the bathroom, or eat in peace. It got so bad I had to make a sign telling people to stop, I had had enough. Lesson learned: Never cosplay as a character on the Bingo list ever again. I certainly won't reprise my Anna cosplay next year after what happened this year. Oddly enough, Pinkie Pie is on the list as well, but I get the request far less often (once every few hours or so, maybe 3-4 in two hours but not every few minutes and being stopped and hounded constantly like I did as Anna), probably due to the fact that she's been on the list since 2012 and there are a lot more Pinkie cosplayers out there. I enjoy people admiring my cosplay and wanting pictures, but too much is too much.
You don't know what the bingo card is until the con starts, though. They make the boards passed on who's cosplaying what and interest in the forums. Though I do get this one- I was the Undertaker back in 2011 when he was on the board, and there were only four of us during the weekend. The funniest one was people stopping me for pictures and then asking "Who are you again?". But still, I had nights when I just didn't cosplay because I was tired and didn't want my picture taken.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline iBubbleTeax3

• Catgirl
« Reply #485 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:21 pm »

This may seem a little off topic right now but I was on the Bingo Board for 2013 as Hibiki from Devil Survivor 2. It's funny for me since I did have people ask me for pictures but at the same time, I think I screw over a lot of people because I only wore him for like 1 or 2 hours on Day 0 and Day 2 since I assumed I was the only Hibiki cosplayer (As I didn't see any other ones during my time there). Though that must sound horrible when you're trying to do something but can't due to people constantly asking for pictures D:
It would be nice to have the Bingo list ahead of time just for the sake of preventing being bombarded by pictures. Some people, kind of like myself, hate having so much pictures taken after awhile and this would be a great way to decide whether or not you should cosplay a certain character who happens to be on the board.

And back on topic; the most annoying thing for me at the convention is wandering by myself with little to no one to talk to.
My best friend couldn't attend the con, my friend whom I was suppose to hang out with had other people to attend to, and really, I don't have much in common with people since I have a very weak voice in the first place to try and speak up.

Another annoying thing: When artists in the artist alley freaking ignore you when you're trying to buy something. Seriously, I was trying to get their attention by waving and trying to speak up (Since my voice was strain on Day 1) and all they did was continue to talk to each other until LITERALLY 3 minutes later they noticed me. This really made me not want to buy any of their merchandise... I understand they want to keep themselves entertained, but it's not great to keep a costumer waiting for too long when they in fact are trying to get their attention.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #486 on: September 13, 2014, 06:42:49 am »
A couple of things from this year:

-There was a bible thumper in the park during the weekend. I don't know who that man was or who he was associated with, but he stood in the park - closer to the entrances where people milled in and out and close to the fountain - and he would stop people. I got stopped and he talked my ear off, tried to touch my hands and tried following me when I was politely excusing myself and walking away. It was really creepy and uncomfortable for me and I hope he won't turn up next year. Lesson learned: Just keep on walking!

-The photobooth. I always go and I really appreciate SeeSpotPrint's time and effort, but I was really disappointed on the fourth and final day. The last day is supposed to be the day when people get their pictures onto a USB - no more pictures were supposed to be taken. That's what has always been planned and promised in previous years. But, this year, the photographer was still taking pictures of people and he was working alone, his tech guy and the rest of the crew hadn't been there and I waited in the studio for them to come for two hours. I guess I'll just have to plan on not bringing a USB in the future since it's so busy during the weekend; but it's disheartening that the photographer hadn't kept his word.

-It was great that all of the games and panels were held at The Hilton, it's more kind on the feet than to travel back and forth between there and The Red Lion. But, a lot of the tutorials were held in the morning while the games and events were held closer to nighttime, which was impossible to go to because by then I was toast. I hope that all the events are spread out throughout the day in the future.

-Also, I still cannot believe that staff held all the badges at the con this year. The lines at registration were ridiculous but I'm happy that everyone remained calm and the lines were kept neatly organized. If the staff chooses to hold the badges at the hotel from now on, I hope they'll get more fans in the basement because it was incredibly warm down there when I got mine on Day 0.

Other than that, this year was really great and I had a lot of fun; I hope it's just as eventful next year!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:47:03 am by Valkyrie542 »
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:33 am »
-The photobooth. I always go and I really appreciate SeeSpotPrint's time and effort, but I was really disappointed on the fourth and final day. The last day is supposed to be the day when people get their pictures onto a USB - no more pictures were supposed to be taken. That's what has always been planned and promised in previous years. But, this year, the photographer was still taking pictures of people and he was working alone, his tech guy and the rest of the crew hadn't been there and I waited in the studio for them to come for two hours. I guess I'll just have to plan on not bringing a USB in the future since it's so busy during the weekend; but it's disheartening that the photographer hadn't kept his word.
My group and I stood in line for two hours, and two groups went in. I know he was busy and probably taking a break or something, but he never told us. We were just thinking that he was gone or taking really long. In years past, we take maybe ten minutes in the photobooth, so I have no idea why it was taking so long when we were in line (we ended up giving up because everyone was starving)
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #488 on: September 13, 2014, 11:46:46 am »

@bubbletea
And back on topic; the most annoying thing for me at the convention is wandering by myself with little to no one to talk to.
My best friend couldn't attend the con, my friend whom I was suppose to hang out with had other people to attend to, and really, I don't have much in common with people since I have a very weak voice in the first place to try and speak up.

I felt the same way, I don't have much in common with allot of people at cons these days because im into older series most people do not know about mainly.

Offline KingOfAutumn

• Cabbit
    • RMD
« Reply #489 on: September 20, 2014, 10:11:00 pm »
I would have to say my number one pet peeve at cons is people who interrupt panels (I know this has been said, but it seriously needs to stop).
I only went to 3 panels: the Pandora Hearts Tea Party, the Black Butler Tea Party, and the Ouran panel (because it was my Girl Friend's first Con and she really wanted to go them).

The Pandora Hearts panel was awesome, since there wasn't that many people attending, it turned into a group conversation. We all kind of contributed, it was like we were hanging out in character.

The Black Butler panel on the other hand… The entire room was filled to the brim. It was an overall good panel… But there was a few cosplayers in particular that just needed to stop interrupting. I could tell the panelists were getting annoyed, and frankly so was I.

And the Ouran Panel was just ridiculous. I was cosplaying Honey (though I was not part of the panel) and a few of the other hosts we're sitting in the rows. We were asked to participate. Some people just needed to stop talking. Some of them would shout just random things that in no way contributed to the conversation.
Going along with the Ouran panel, another thing that annoyed me was some of the requests.
What fan doesn't want to request their favourite character to do something? But keep it reasonable. It was 11pm, I went home then came back just for that panel since we were asked by the panelists to do so. One girl in particular (who kind of annoyed me to begin with) requested a squealing contest.
Seriously? It's 11pm.

Otherwise, the panel was pretty funny (I got labeled as the "evil honey" because I was tired out of my mind).
--
Then just a list of things I can't stand: (Most of which have been said)
- Glomp Circle. It was fun my first couple of years but it's kind of ridiculous now. And if they must do glomp circle, they should at least not shout. For the love of god, stop shouting.
- Hall blockers. This annoys me everywhere, not just at cons. Like seriously, there's no reason for you to stand right there.
- People who don't understand no. This one is pretty obvious.
- Being misgendered. I know they can't help it, and I don't blame them for it… But it still bothers me.
- Having my picture taken without permission. This really pisses me off. It's really sketchy that they can't stop for 2 seconds to ask me for my picture. I got a lot of this when I was in my Guro lolita.
- Loud people. I know I was loud my first 2 cons but I quickly learned. I see the same people year after year not controlling their voices. Some of which are older than me (which is sad because i'm 15).
--
. _ . Yea, most of what irks me has been said but I must emphasize that this is annoying. Maybe someone will get it (I learned con behavior on this thread, and became a better, more well-mannered attendee).
IG - @xiao.sama
Tumblr - all-u-ken-eat-ravioli.tumblr.com
--
KumoriCon 2016
{Still Unplanned}

Offline bambie d. leviathan

• Oni
« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2014, 09:25:03 pm »
My group and I stood in line for two hours, and two groups went in. I know he was busy and probably taking a break or something, but he never told us. We were just thinking that he was gone or taking really long. In years past, we take maybe ten minutes in the photobooth, so I have no idea why it was taking so long when we were in line (we ended up giving up because everyone was starving)

Heya, if you've got any feedback about PhotoBooth or ideas to make it better, please email me at photospott@gmail.com so I can get these to Spott the Photographer

Bambie
Photographer's Assistant
On The Spott Photography
2008 - Attendee
2009 - Attendee/Volunteer for PhotoBooth
2010 - Yojimbo
2011- Registration Staff/Volunteer for PhotoBooth
2012 - Registration Staff/Volunteer for PhotoBooth
2013 - Registration Staff
2014 - Photographer's Assistant for Photobooth

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:11 am »
Thank you, Valkyrie.

I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk. I do sincerly apologize if that was the tone.
 What I meant is what I said though, that I, or no one, should feel like we have to hide a scar, or part of our body, because we're afraid to upset someone (ie. a stranger). I believe it's a very sad world we live in that people feel the need to cover their scars. If some stranger makes a fuss about a scar or part of your body, maybe they're the one with the problem- maybe they're the one wanting to hide something; and you should never let what they say get you down.
If someone really wants to hide a scar, tattoo or dark patches, make-up is great ways to go about it, and you're absolutely right.

I accept your apology.

Offline PandaPanda

• Cabbit
    • Instagram
« Reply #492 on: December 05, 2014, 02:09:30 pm »
The most annoying thing for me is being ridiculed for not being skinny. Kumoricon 2014 was my very first con and my very first time cosplaying. I was told many times that I shouldn't cosplay because I'm not pretty nor am I skinny. I was told I'm too fat and too ugly to be apart of the cosplay community. That made me super depressed.

I got my picture taken a couple of times which lifted my spirits~ And I had some people ask about cosplay~ I didn't cosplay any specific characters, I was my own creations~ I enjoyed people asking me how I did my make up and explain my characters. I'm not good with sewing or fabrics so I usually buy my outfits, but I love prosthetic make up~ Especially gore.

I'm hoping 2015 will be easier on me...I've been dieting and exercising a lot and hoping to drop as much weight as possible until next con so I can look decent cosplaying~
2016:
Day 0: Panda kigirumi
Day 1: Konan am, school girl am
Day 2: Lolita
Day 3: Panda kigirumi or normal clothes

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #493 on: December 05, 2014, 04:55:46 pm »
Know what..Nvm..SOMEONE will come and say something bad about me if I leave that up..Screw it
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:32:02 pm by Sailor-Jeimi »

Offline GreenBrownGirlSasori

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #494 on: December 07, 2014, 11:27:42 pm »
sorry for cursing so much guys. At con this year most people were pretty nice, but there were a few things that annoyed me.
1. Maid squad staffer making one cash line at registration wait 3hrs before letting anyone through, meanwhile the other cash line emptied out five times at least before they let our line move at all. I was standing in the same spot from 7:30 to 10:30. I hope they don't let that girl work lines ever again.
2. People who interrupt panelists while they are talking, or heckle them. There was this one Sherlock cosplayer that went to the Hetalia: Ask a Nation and the Anime Murder Game panels and she was rude to the panelists at each one, especially the England and the Jack Frost cosplayers. She made one of the panelists cry after the panel was over. I was shocked.
3. Cell reception in the videogame room was non-existent.  My cousin got lost and I was searching for him all day because I couldn't get ahold of him on his cellphone, because he decided to wait for me down in the gaming area.
see ya, space cowboy.
@greenbrowngirl is my Instagram if you are interested in seeing cosplay progress and my drawings.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #495 on: December 14, 2014, 11:28:54 pm »
The most annoying thing for me is being ridiculed for not being skinny. Kumoricon 2014 was my very first con and my very first time cosplaying. I was told many times that I shouldn't cosplay because I'm not pretty nor am I skinny. I was told I'm too fat and too ugly to be apart of the cosplay community. That made me super depressed.

Anyone who told you that would deserve to be kicked out of the cosplay community.  They're probably the types who treat cosplay as the new "cool" thing to do and only belongs to "pretty" people.  Just ignore them, because they are worthless.

2. People who interrupt panelists while they are talking, or heckle them. There was this one Sherlock cosplayer that went to the Hetalia: Ask a Nation and the Anime Murder Game panels and she was rude to the panelists at each one, especially the England and the Jack Frost cosplayers. She made one of the panelists cry after the panel was over. I was shocked.

As a panelist who often gets interrupted, thank you for understanding.

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2016, 09:33:53 pm »
Me: MARCO!!
Connie Springer: POLO!!
Jean Kirschstein: *kicks our asses*
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
« Reply #497 on: March 27, 2016, 02:03:14 am »
Getting crude remarks and being hit on when I'm in a cosplay that is considered "sexy". It's not exactly the flirting part that gets me, it's when they will not stop until I am about to get a staff member. Also, "OH! You like anime/comics then who am I?", then when I genuinely don't know, they call it out and it's very frustrating.  :-\
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com