Poll

What would you consider the most annoying thing at an anime convention?

I lost the game
97 (44.9%)
How do I get into voice acting?
19 (8.8%)
Two thirds of the cosplays being the same characters
46 (21.3%)
Autograph lines taking too long
9 (4.2%)
Other (specify)
45 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Author Topic: Most annoying thing at an anime convention  (Read 471087 times)

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
Re: Most annoying thing at an anime convention
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Wrath-chan.  Who cares if someone's cosplay is poorly done or not complete, so long as people are having fun with it?  As long as they don't try to boast about the awesome costume they threw together, I see no problem with it.  For all you know, a person's poorly-assembled costume may be what they had the *skill* to put together or what they could afford.  Everyone takes cosplaying too seriously sometimes.  Just relax and enjoy the opportunity to wear wacky clothing and to style your hair in an impractical fashion ;)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
+Secondly; On Day 2 I was Sailor Saturn. Lots of people were taking my picture, but at one point a man asked for my picture and the cosplayer next to me was like "Who me?" And the man was like "No! Her."
I was confused as to why he didn't want the other guys picture.
It really made me feel bad because the cosplayer walked away like he was going to cry and I really wanted to go and take his picture but I didn't have access to my phone's camera at the time.

-So basically what I hate is when 'photographers' don't think of a person's feelings before rejecting him from a photo.
I was very proud when one girl refused a picture unless her friend could be in it to. I hate people that get rejected from photos. I mean, you don't know how hard someone's worked on a cosplay, so you can't just pay them no attention.

If I had a camera I would take pictures of everyone at cons, but sadly I don't have a camera DX
yes so much!

I would also say very broad here, people being mean, or rude. I mean your at an anime convention!  This is a place where people understand each other, why put some of the few people who share your hobby down?

When people make their own costume, it really depends on the attitude, proud is fine, or like the Japanese modesty is the way to go, like "I made it, it turned out okay, yours is great" or being honenst "I made this, what do you think is it okay?" That way your not fishing for compliments so much as reassurance.   Which I can understand if someone is insecure about how it turned out, not just to brag.

Does that make sense?  I can sew some costumes, some times I buy parts. I also can't reach the high shelf in the kitchen,  some one who can isn't better then me, also doesn't make a home made costume better then bought, we all have skills and talents we excel at and those we don't
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Onchan

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2011, 07:55:31 pm »
I would have to say 1 and 3. The game...is done. So can it!!!
I understand that people like certain mainstream characters and I respect that but you should know that there are going to be millions of you walking around already and you probably won't be appreciated as much. I like to be creative and unique ^_^

I don't want to bash on or disrespect people for doing a bad cosplay so I'll try not to be too harsh:
When you make your cosplay please please please try and put effort into making it! D:
I see too many people dressing up and their costumes look last minute :/
Take the time and if it isn't ready to be shown or something is missing then don't do it yet, there is always next con ^.^

Also I'm a guy who happens to be engaged. I really don't appreciate when people flirt with me on a serious level. Guys and girls....I have to know you and I have to know you are messing around and don't mean any harm. It just freaks me out in general x.x

*end rant*

I agree. It saddens me to see a cosplay that looks like there was no effort put in, especially when I love the character. Its even more sad when its just the hair! If all you had to do was straighten your hair you would do it right? I can understand if it looks like the person tried with the hair but just couldn't do it but when I see that someone didn't try at all it just irks me.

I also agree with the flirting. Find out if they are single first and dont be too serious about it.

I am guilty of the not having one of my costumes done on time and wearing it to con(It was my Amaimon cosplay). I just mainly wanted to wear the wig since it was my first time dying and styling a wig like that and i was really happy with it. I don't normally do that and to be honest i didn't think anyone would recognize the character. ^^' I guess i shouldn't have done so and i just should have worn my Princess Yue or Simca outfit again. So i am very sorry if i may have been one of those people you are talking about. I am working on getting it complete now though.

I wouldn't know if you were one of the people but it's alright :)
Also if people are wanting to do a cosplay but it's not completely done then it's not really considered a cosplay.
Say I want to do something like Cloud from FF7. You never see that cloud is missing something he generally wears. Like shoes or pants. Just saying :/

One more thing, people who aren't good at making cosplays it's fine. It just takes practice...
THE SEXY PANDAS ARE HERE TO ROCK YOUR FACES!!!

Offline Rofflz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Wrath-chan.  Who cares if someone's cosplay is poorly done or not complete, so long as people are having fun with it?  As long as they don't try to boast about the awesome costume they threw together, I see no problem with it.  For all you know, a person's poorly-assembled costume may be what they had the *skill* to put together or what they could afford.  Everyone takes cosplaying too seriously sometimes.  Just relax and enjoy the opportunity to wear wacky clothing and to style your hair in an impractical fashion ;)

I've had people give me crap for my first Len Kagamine cosplay because I basically just altered clothes and used left over material from previous cosplays. I didn't have his belt and the arm things are too long and the tie isn't shaped exactly like his. And I just bleached my hair instead of having a wig.
I mean, I wasn't going for perfect, it was just to take pictures with my friend Casey who cosplays Rin. And I know it isn't the best, but it really hurts my feelings when people point it out. Which my friend Casey kept doing >:C I don't mean to be mean, but her Rin wasn't perfect either so she really couldn't be so high and mighty.
*sigh*
I just wish people would stop being so judmental about cosplays and the cosplayers and just be happy they can be with people that enjoy the same things that they do.
I WILL NOT BE ATTENDING THE CON! I'M MOVING OUT OF STATE! AND IT IS THE SAME WEEKEND AS SABOTEN IN AZ. SORRY EVERYONE~!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2011, 08:17:07 pm »
It is really rude when people point those things out. I mean I joked around with my friend she had left her binding stuff at home for her Ace costume on day 0 by saying "Nice boobs" to her. But when you are mean about it's just no fun. I mean some of my friends aren't completely accurate with their costumes or some parts are done quickly and it bothers me like crazy but I keep my mouth shut because they're happy with their costumes which is what matters.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »
I am guilty of the not having one of my costumes done on time and wearing it to con(It was my Amaimon cosplay). I just mainly wanted to wear the wig since it was my first time dying and styling a wig like that and i was really happy with it. I don't normally do that and to be honest i didn't think anyone would recognize the character. ^^' I guess i shouldn't have done so and i just should have worn my Princess Yue or Simca outfit again. So i am very sorry if i may have been one of those people you are talking about. I am working on getting it complete now though.

I can understand and respect that though. Its mainly just the not trying at all that irks me, I hope to see the finished product next con =]

I've had people give me crap for my first Len Kagamine cosplay because I basically just altered clothes and used left over material from previous cosplays. I didn't have his belt and the arm things are too long and the tie isn't shaped exactly like his. And I just bleached my hair instead of having a wig.
I mean, I wasn't going for perfect, it was just to take pictures with my friend Casey who cosplays Rin. And I know it isn't the best, but it really hurts my feelings when people point it out. Which my friend Casey kept doing >:C I don't mean to be mean, but her Rin wasn't perfect either so she really couldn't be so high and mighty.
*sigh*
I just wish people would stop being so judmental about cosplays and the cosplayers and just be happy they can be with people that enjoy the same things that they do.

It makes me sad to see a poorly done character that I really love but due to the exact reasons you just stated I do keep my mouth shut and I am friendly to everyone. I just keep in mind that they loved the character enough to cosplay it no matter how good their skills are (first cosplays for example mine was a disaster) Its mainly hair that irks me. If someone uses their real hair and its not a difficult styling task it irks me that they did not even attempt to do it.. But again I never say anything to them directly and if I do its a suggestion on good styling products or tutorials that are great for what they are shooting for I don't ever wanna be mean. I would hope that others would keep their rude comments to themselves too its just not ok to intentionally put someone down.

Offline Relterra

• Oni
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »
I understand that people like certain mainstream characters and I respect that but you should know that there are going to be millions of you walking around already and you probably won't be appreciated as much. I like to be creative and unique ^_^

I don't want to bash on or disrespect people for doing a bad cosplay so I'll try not to be too harsh:
When you make your cosplay please please please try and put effort into making it! D:
Take the time and if it isn't ready to be shown or something is missing then don't do it yet, there is always next con ^.^

Also I'm a guy who happens to be engaged. I really don't appreciate when people flirt with me on a serious level. Guys and girls....I have to know you and I have to know you are messing around and don't mean any harm. It just freaks me out in general x.x

*end rant*

I agree. It saddens me to see a cosplay that looks like there was no effort put in, especially when I love the character. Its even more sad when its just the hair! If all you had to do was straighten your hair you would do it right? I can understand if it looks like the person tried with the hair but just couldn't do it but when I see that someone didn't try at all it just irks me.

I also agree with the flirting. Find out if they are single first and dont be too serious about it.

Also if people are wanting to do a cosplay but it's not completely done then it's not really considered a cosplay.
Say I want to do something like Cloud from FF7. You never see that cloud is missing something he generally wears. Like shoes or pants. Just saying :/

One more thing, people who aren't good at making cosplays it's fine. It just takes practice...

Isn't cosplay about having fun? Not how accurate you're supposed to be? ^_^ We are a bunch of people dressed up running around and having fun. Now mind you if you go into a competition you definitely want to bring your all. But for just walking around and hanging out with friends and getting to know people does it really matter? Yes, those who put time, effort and money will stand out among the rest. And that gives others something to work towards. I miss how the cons used to be. Can't we all just get along and give each other helpful advise and encourage each other?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »
It is really rude when people point those things out. I mean I joked around with my friend she had left her binding stuff at home for her Ace costume on day 0 by saying "Nice boobs" to her. But when you are mean about it's just no fun. I mean some of my friends aren't completely accurate with their costumes or some parts are done quickly and it bothers me like crazy but I keep my mouth shut because they're happy with their costumes which is what matters.

I think you nailed it - if even friends would rather turn constructive criticism into a joke, then it doesn't really make sense for strangers to be harsh about it without even being asked. A friend has the right to (and a real friend should) tell you when you look goofy... but for a stranger to assume the same rights as a friend to joke or criticize is a little galling.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2011, 10:07:13 pm »

Okay. First off, I don't think there was a single professional cosplayer there. I believe the majority of people do it for fun and hey, sometimes it is last minute. I believe it was Leonardo da Vinci who said "Art is never finished, only abandoned." I'll admit that mine was last minute since I took less than 3 days on it but that's because I only found out I would be going 4 days before the con, yet I still got complements and when some people found out how little time was spent on it they were usually with big eyes and said "wow!" On the other hand, I don't take much pride in it since it since it wasn't finished and my hair was horrible, and I certainly don't brag about it. I am still happy I was able to go and that people recognized me as the character even through the flaws. Now that said... I do believe effort should be put into a cosplay, but we have no right to judge how much effort someone else did in my opinion.

As for the flirting part, I am seriously curious, how do you find out if they are single first? Do you just walk up to people and ask if they're single and then start flirting? I always thought most people use a little mild flirting was part of finding out in the first place. Again, I am actually serious about this because Until recently I have never really been single (outside of high school) and have no clue on how to meet people, let alone the other typical courtship rituals. (please feel free to keep it to private messages if you wish or deem necessary since this will probably take the post off topic even more than it already is)

Not that I'm all for flirting with every person I meet, and I probably have a different definition of flirting than most... >.>

Oh, and I personally believe people should be friends first before serious dating, but I hardly know anything on the subject...
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2011, 10:52:33 pm »
I myself have worn costumes that weren't quite right.  Perhaps the best example would have been my Ranma costume.  During '08, I had to find a way to have the pants replaced, because they got damaged rather quickly and I didn't know too many people who could sew them back up at the time.  I just grabbed a pair of black sweat pants, and nobody seemed to notice, or care enough to point it out to me.  So long as they aren't wearing a single box with the word "GUNDAM" written on it with a red crayon, I don't usually make a fuss about things.

Something that I find annoying is when people are hardcore fanatics over one series, and expect you to have the same level of knowledge of that show, just because you're at an anime convention, too.  (Not everyone there likes Pokemon, people... ;D)

I believe it was Leonardo da Vinci who said "Art is never finished, only abandoned."

Off topic, but yes, that was da Vinci who said that.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »
Wait, has anyone mentioned body odor?  XD

Or did I already?

I don't remember.

Anyways, it stinks.  Literally.

Obviously, in some cases, there's nothing you can do.  Even when you put on deodorant in the morning.

I carried around a little bottle of coconut lime body mist that I would spray on regularly to keep myself fresh and girly~ smelling.

But really, I'm talking about the people that haven't even felt a bar of soap in their hands in a week and a half.  XD

Pleeeeeaase.... don't be the stereotype.  ;___;  Plus, I kind of don't like smelling you in line.   :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:14:16 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:55 pm »
^ Now that you mention it, I'm surprised that this wasn't on the voting poll thing...

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2011, 05:38:18 am »
^ lol, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned either. I'm pleased to report that I don't remember smelling anyone.

I was really worried about that myself with how hot it was, but thank goodness at the end of the day when I double checked it wasn't very bad at all. Day 2 I made sure it wasn't a problem by making sure to take another swipe later in the day. By the way, that Tom's of Maine brand really does last suprisingly quite a long time despite being all natural and the "fresh apricot" flavor scent smells so good you could almost eat it. xp

As for the comment about da Vinci being off topic: I believe cosplay is an art form, so I believe it still applies.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:35 am »
Heh heh heh.  Yeah, actually I didn't notice too much in terms of horrendous body odor.  Someone mentioned that the Hilton has pretty good ventilation, so maybe that helped? XD

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2011, 10:04:10 am »
The one thing that bothers me about cosplays are the shoes... I saw a girl who should have been wearing black flats or black heels or a sort of "nice" black shoe, and she was wearing white sneakers... that just ticks me the littlest. I mean, some shoes are going to be really effing hard to find (case in point, Undertaker boots. Those shoes are impossible to find. So I wore boots with a couple belts on them), but sneakers/converse really shouldn't be worn unless the character has them. You can get black flats for $10 pretty much anyway. Plus, you should own a pair anyways xD They're a total staple with clothes
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline Onchan

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2011, 10:34:40 am »

*end rant*

Isn't cosplay about having fun? Not how accurate you're supposed to be? ^_^ We are a bunch of people dressed up running around and having fun. Now mind you if you go into a competition you definitely want to bring your all. But for just walking around and hanging out with friends and getting to know people does it really matter? Yes, those who put time, effort and money will stand out among the rest. And that gives others something to work towards. I miss how the cons used to be. Can't we all just get along and give each other helpful advise and encourage each other?
For some including myself when people cosplay as something and you look up to that character but the cosplay isn't finished it hurts :/
I saw a Packy cosplay from Cat **** One this year and he did a really great job! I'm glad he did too because I do admire that character and I would think he did a great job because he enjoys that character and looks up to them just as much as I do.
Now I'm not saying these cosplays have to be perfect (I do understand that everyone isn't amazing at crafting them) but please have the decency to have all the props/clothing for them. Now I know I sound like a big fat meanie jerk but people should at least have the common courtesy to do a decent job and to finish their cosplays if they are going to represent these cool characters :)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:35 am »
The one thing that bothers me about cosplays are the shoes... I saw a girl who should have been wearing black flats or black heels or a sort of "nice" black shoe, and she was wearing white sneakers... that just ticks me the littlest. I mean, some shoes are going to be really effing hard to find (case in point, Undertaker boots. Those shoes are impossible to find. So I wore boots with a couple belts on them), but sneakers/converse really shouldn't be worn unless the character has them. You can get black flats for $10 pretty much anyway. Plus, you should own a pair anyways xD They're a total staple with clothes
^ this is so true
I mean I have found Sora cosplayers from Kingdom Hearts with Sneakers. I understand his shoes are way to complicated and he would wear sneakers
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »
Yeah! I saw a Namine wearing black flip flops >.> Kinda irked me, though her dress was well made and she looked just like her otherwise
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »

^ this is so true
I mean I have found Sora cosplayers from Kingdom Hearts with Sneakers. I understand his shoes are way to complicated and he would wear sneakers

Only thing about this is that at a convention you can end up doing a LOT of walking, I can understand not wanting to wreck your feet the first day.

Like my hubbys urahara geta, if we were going to be going to be doing a bit more walking like between the 2 hotels then he wore sandles (concrete bad for geta)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2011, 01:00:27 pm »

^ this is so true

Only thing about this is that at a convention you can end up doing a LOT of walking, I can understand not wanting to wreck your feet the first day.

Like my hubbys urahara geta, if we were going to be going to be doing a bit more walking like between the 2 hotels then he wore sandles (concrete bad for geta)

Maybe carry extra shoes with you so that you can walk comfy but for pictures you can put on the correct shoes? just a suggestion ^^ I can understand the uncomfortable walk too. Heels as lucrecia X_X ugg

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »
But sandals look like Geta. I totally understand that
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Relterra

• Oni
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »

*end rant*

For some including myself when people cosplay as something and you look up to that character but the cosplay isn't finished it hurts :/
I saw a Packy cosplay from Cat **** One this year and he did a really great job! I'm glad he did too because I do admire that character and I would think he did a great job because he enjoys that character and looks up to them just as much as I do.
Now I'm not saying these cosplays have to be perfect (I do understand that everyone isn't amazing at crafting them) but please have the decency to have all the props/clothing for them. Now I know I sound like a big fat meanie jerk but people should at least have the common courtesy to do a decent job and to finish their cosplays if they are going to represent these cool characters :)

No i don't think you are a meanie jerk at all. It's your honest opinion and i respect that. :)
And i apologize because that is what i thought you meant in that if it wasn't perfect than it wasn't considered cosplay. I'm sorry i misunderstood. I agree that you should at least try and do a good job on representing the character you are cosplaying as and that you should put as much effort as possible into it but i can also understand those on a budget or who do not have the skills to make an amazing cosplay. Speaking of which i think i remember seeing you at Sakura Con and i wanted to say awesome costumes(if that is you in your profile pic). They looked really comfy too.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2011, 06:54:54 pm »
One of the most common things I hear on youtube about conventions is to wear comfortable shoes. It is nice to have the cosplay accurate if anything for pictures though.

I myself have a different problem... I don't know how to make my own shoes and since I have to go to the same place the Portland Trailblazers go to get their shoes.... yeah, no $10-$20 shoes for me... I'm lucky if I can get them for under $100. I used to joke that if I ever wanted roller skates I'd have to basically stick my feet in a couple of cow's butts. (which is not happening any time soon or hopefully ever ew.) That being said, I do have a pair of gothic boots that are 2-3 sizes too small and one of the liners that keeps the leg part up tends to cut into my skin for some reason... Quite uncomfortable but I love the look and couldn't resist since they were on sale (only worn on special occasions).

Woot, I just now realized I can be considered a plus sized cosplayer.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Onchan

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2011, 08:25:22 pm »

*end rant*

No i don't think you are a meanie jerk at all. It's your honest opinion and i respect that. :)
And i apologize because that is what i thought you meant in that if it wasn't perfect than it wasn't considered cosplay. I'm sorry i misunderstood. I agree that you should at least try and do a good job on representing the character you are cosplaying as and that you should put as much effort as possible into it but i can also understand those on a budget or who do not have the skills to make an amazing cosplay. Speaking of which i think i remember seeing you at Sakura Con and i wanted to say awesome costumes(if that is you in your profile pic). They looked really comfy too.
Haha thank you for understanding! I am glad you don't think I'm mean cause I'm actually not xD
And yes that's me and my fiancée in my picture! We might take the Ice Climbers again next year but I'm in 2 cosplay groups with my friends so I'm not sure! (Powerpuff Girls group cosplay and Ninja Nonsense group cosplay) :D

Offline CloudStrife32

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook, yo!
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »
I've read almost all of the posts in here, and most of the things that annoy me at con, were already said.
But one that annoys me a lot, that I don't think was said, is the whole Caramelldansen thing.
It was cute, the first time I saw it, then it just got annoying...
~Sakuracon '13~
Leon S. Kennedy [Resident Evil 6]
Paperman [Paperman]

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2011, 10:26:27 pm »
Yeah, it is pretty annoying, not just because it's overly popular, but because nobody does the whole dance.  The dance is more than just the hand-flapping-hip-shaking motions.  Also, the original song is a little slower, making the singing sound like a human being instead of a computer program.  And, it's Swedish; why is a Swedish song so popular at Japanese anime conventions...?  I don't get it...

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:14 pm »
Yeah, it is pretty annoying, not just because it's overly popular, but because nobody does the whole dance.  The dance is more than just the hand-flapping-hip-shaking motions.  Also, the original song is a little slower, making the singing sound like a human being instead of a computer program.  And, it's Swedish; why is a Swedish song so popular at Japanese anime conventions...?  I don't get it...

Well Numa Numa is also popular and its german I think lol. But yes, Carmelldancen has gotten a tad annoying x_X

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2011, 11:54:40 pm »
Numa Numa is Romanian I believe... As for Caramelldansen... I like the song, it never fails to make me smile and be happy, but it was beyond stupid when they played it at the rave on Sunday night and probably more than 50% of the people there were only doing the hand flapping and hip shaking. :/ I'm not saying that people need to know the whole dance, but seriously, you're at a rave, do more dancing than that, make the "official dance" into something else.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Mog

• Cabbit
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:29 am »
I thought the most Annoying thing was probably Chair. That just drove me nuts.

Oh, and on the topic of Free Hugs, I did it... a lot. But I was one of those people who would only hug people who were willing and even if someone made eye contact, I'd just smile and nod to them. I understand if people don't want free hugs~

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2011, 12:26:09 am »
If my memory serves me correctly it started as just hand flapping and hip shaking.... plus was an animated .gif that started it all then later the "official" music video added some other moves. Oh well, either way it is adorable IMO not to mention good exercise. It does get pretty awkward when only 2 people are doing it though. :P

Speaking of Caramell Dansen... Has anyone ever seen a cosplay of the 3 girls in the official video? Would anyone even recognise them if they were at a con?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:28:42 am by GregAtlas »
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2011, 04:12:21 am »
Well Numa Numa is also popular and its german I think lol. But yes, Carmelldancen has gotten a tad annoying x_X

Numa Numa is Romanian I believe...

I'm assuming that you're both referring to Dragostea Din Tei, by O-Zone.  If so, the language is Romanian.  The band members are Moldovan, however.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:12 am »
I'm assuming that you're both referring to Dragostea Din Tei, by O-Zone.  If so, the language is Romanian.  The band members are Moldovan, however.

They are and it is, my last dentist was half romanian and I ran some of the translation of the lyrics by her.'

Only fair as when we were waiting for my mouth to finish numbing she was asking me plot spoilers from the sookie stackhouse books true blood is based (more loosly every seasom as it seems curse you Allan Ball)

Numa numa I understand being at a anime con because the song has been used in Japan, by those silly smap x smap guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evUOdVj5El0
as far as I can tell, the guy in the white para para master kimura is like the #1 best host at a host club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evUOdVj5El0

and peep singin is a dude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhMcHWR4-XY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL0C7742F9B4EE698E

Highjack is over,

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2011, 09:04:14 am »
[lots of quoted text]

Haha thank you for understanding! I am glad you don't think I'm mean cause I'm actually not xD
And yes that's me and my fiancée in my picture! We might take the Ice Climbers again next year but I'm in 2 cosplay groups with my friends so I'm not sure! (Powerpuff Girls group cosplay and Ninja Nonsense group cosplay) :D

I'm really glad you guys were able to listen to each other and work it out. :)  But please remember that chats should eventually go to PM per the code of conduct.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2011, 09:54:37 am »
I will have to say Caramelldansen can get annoying
But I will admit I joined in at Opening Ceremonies
But I don't burst into it randomly like I used

Offline Onchan

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:16 am »
[lots of quoted text]

I'm really glad you guys were able to listen to each other and work it out. :)  But please remember that chats should eventually go to PM per the code of conduct.

Of course modchan! and thank you for not banning us! :D

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »
Carmelldancen is still a song I like however it is indeed overplayed as for the dance, I dont blame people for only doing the one move because not everyone takes time to learn the other steps and in a crowded area that one move is probably preferred lol

And now I know that Numa Numa is Romanian. lol

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:20 am »

This is exactly what I meant by cosplay elitism. So the heck what if folks don't have the same skills as you? There's no requirement folks HAVE TO BE AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE. I've done a terrible House cosplay before (mostly because I'm wayyyyy to fat to be House.) Some people liked it, others didn't. People do come to con just to have fun, you know; not to have the best costume possible. Keep that in mind.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »

This is exactly what I meant by cosplay elitism. So the heck what if folks don't have the same skills as you? There's no requirement folks HAVE TO BE AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE. I've done a terrible House cosplay before (mostly because I'm wayyyyy to fat to be House.) Some people liked it, others didn't. People do come to con just to have fun, you know; not to have the best costume possible. Keep that in mind.

Yes but people are allowed to have opinions. I don't like last minute cosplays either, they look like wherry dung, and like the person didn't give a CRAP about the character they were portraying. Cosplay is an art form all of it's own. I know people that are elitists for a reason. You shouldn't come down on them for it. Honestly, if you were going to go listen to music... Would you rather listen to a bunch of people screeching noisily on their instruments, or competent players? That could at least string together a few notes, effectively.
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »

Yes but people are allowed to have opinions. I don't like last minute cosplays either, they look like wherry dung, and like the person didn't give a CRAP about the character they were portraying. Cosplay is an art form all of it's own. I know people that are elitists for a reason. You shouldn't come down on them for it. Honestly, if you were going to go listen to music... Would you rather listen to a bunch of people screeching noisily on their instruments, or competent players? That could at least string together a few notes, effectively.

You all make very good points. I think wanting to be better or see better cosplays is fine as long as people aren't being mean to other peoples faces. Let them enjoy con too, be proud of your own work, and be friendly. You never know whether or not those cosplayers are first timers or just unskilled and unfunded and who knows? You might decide they are awesome people.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »
I don't think they are all making good points. I think some of them don't want to face the repercussions for being mean.
They want to be able to get away with negativity without being held accountable.
The First Amendment was not put in place for you to hurt people's feelings.

Wheaton's Law.

Also, I enjoy being right about this thread.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2011, 12:21:54 am »
I am going to do a last-minute cosplay of a chair that sings Caramelldansen and causes everyone to lose the game. . .  ;D

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2011, 12:32:09 am »
Please keep in mind that speculating about others' motives isn't kosher, per the code of conduct.

If someone wants to be mean, sensitive, elitist, sloppy, or anything else under the sun that others find annoying, they can do so in their own words. (And they can be called out on their own words, too - but only for what they've actually said or inferred themselves.)

It's probably extremely obvious anyway, but: This doesn't have anything to do with reppy's post, it just falls under it.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »
I am going to do a last-minute cosplay of a chair that sings Caramelldansen and causes everyone to lose the game. . .  ;D

That would be too annoying to be annoyed with; you should do it! :D

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2011, 03:39:54 pm »
I agree that cosplay eliteism is not a good thing at all, but how about someone who wears a card board box around their chest with a button with an "R" on it and wears clothing that has nothing to do with the character and then tries to join in the pokemon photoshoot claiming to be Jesse from team rocket?

I think that would be one of those awkward moments... especially if they were trolling trying to get in all the photos. Where do you draw the line?
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2011, 01:00:52 am »
I have a right to my opinion, just as mug as anyone else. I'm who I am and I can be nothing else but that. I am unashamed and not afraid to be seen as being rude or opinionated. Because that is who I am. Now as for what happened at the like on shoot, I draw the line on something like that. But that's just me.
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2011, 01:08:00 am »
maybe they were trying to be funny. Maybe they were doing a parody version of Jesse. What someone cosplays is their own business. I'm with Bresslol and Tom on this one. The thing I find most annoying about con (and after con with the on-forum ranting) is the cosplay elitism.  

Saying someone's cosplay isn't really cosplay if they don't have all the props isn't right. Saying someone's cosplay sucks or is annoying to you because they did a closet cosplay or was thrown together three days before or the day of con is also not something I find even remotely cool. I had several cosplays that were made with days and months of work, and I love wearing them, even though some of them aren't that comfortable (and I ended up in white tennies on the second and third days as princess sakura, because my feet hurt so much), but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my last-minute, almost completely out of the closet, secret cosplay was my most popular, and the one I ended up wearing the most. Parts of it were held up with safety pins, and I got so many surprise glomps, photos, and general compliments for something that I didn't even know I'd be wearing until a week before con.

You really don't know how much effort a person put into their cosplay until you ask them, and assuming someone didn't try when they may have spent months on it, or saying their cosplay sucks after you find out that they pulled it out of their closet, that's just not nice. Some people can make an amazing cosplay in 3 days. some people can spend a year and make something that barely passes. It doesn't matter. If you can look at their cosplay and recognize what they're trying to be, it's a good thing. It's wonderful to see people cosplaying something from a series I like, even if they're only running around in boxers, a tank top, and an Axel wig. I'd snap a pic of that, and caption it "Axel flashing the Org" or something. I've had incredibly incorrect cosplays that were blasphemes to both series thrust upon me at cons, but they were fun to wear. What I hated about it was when people bashed me for wearing them anyway. If I want to be Kakashi in a Lolita dress with Itachi's headband around my thigh like a garter belt, I will! Noone has the right to destroy someone else's self esteem by bashing their cosplay, it's not freedom of speech. It's BULLYING.

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2011, 01:18:10 am »
I agree this is the most disrespecful thing ive seen even the princess sakura costume i made for max was made 2 days before con and it was still amazing adn so many people loved it as well.. just becuse you DONT have the best costume in the world or you threw it togeather CON is to be fun and to see old friends and make new ones not people bashing on echother.

I ve done worse cosplay. my 2008 con i wear what ever becuse i didnt have cosplay that fit me becuse i ended up being 5'4" to 5'6 with in the year yeah. so keep on bashing it makes you all who do this look stupid and pitaful the real truth is that you all are hateful people and should be disappointed in yourself.

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2011, 01:22:22 am »
Personally, I always ask if someone is in cosplay or not. After all, I may just not know of the series! And secondly, I'm no seamstress. If they made it, maybe I can get some tips! right? No harm, no foul.

But at the same time, at least for my own shoddy cosplay this year, I was broke. I had been kicked out of two family homes [that where my own family], and jobless for a time before I started to be able to THINK about 'OH CRAP KUMORICON!' what may have been two months before the con. Quite frankly, I was going to do Sailor Uranus all three days, but much to my dispise, my costume didn't fit with out help because I have gained ze fat. Well hell. No job for a time and kicked out of two homes by Kumo; I wouldn't doubt if I gained some stress weight! So yeah, I threw Fem!France together out of my closet, because I've gone to a cosplay thing without a costume, and felt HORRIBLE. I didn't have the 100$ for a new Sailor Uranus costume, and by the time I found out it didn't fit any more, it wouldn't have come anyways.

again, I'm no seamstress. So I sadly have to buy mine.

For what I did with a College student's pay while trying to find an apartment and car and make sure my Kitty-child-Jase was taken care of... I think I did alright. Perfect? HELL NO, but that's my own words for me.

No one knows what people go though, so if you don't like it, just don't say nothin'. Really as easy as that. But if you feel like you HAVE to say something, at least have the guts to tell the person yourself. don't be callin' people crap behind their backs, it just makes you look bad and cowardly.

But then again, what am I saying? I go for the fun and my friends and family I meet at Cons. Not just for the costumes, and most know I don't go for many of the panels either. -shrugs-

::this has been typed up in a rather tired fashion. Pardon the mess.::
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2011, 09:18:59 am »
*Huggles chan*
I thought your costumes were great this year, and I'm sorry life has been rough for you.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:45 am »
maybe they were trying to be funny. Maybe they were doing a parody version of Jesse. What someone cosplays is their own business. I'm with Bresslol and Tom on this one. The thing I find most annoying about con (and after con with the on-forum ranting) is the cosplay elitism.  

Whoa there. I appreciate your sentiment, but I need to point out that I am not saying what the most annoying thing was. ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010