Author Topic: Nihongo o hanashitemasuka?  (Read 20778 times)

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
    • http://24.20.135.157
Nihongo o hanashitemasuka?
« on: May 21, 2004, 06:36:35 am »
The question is pretty self explanitory...if you can read it...it means can you speak Japanese....Ja

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 06:38:16 am »
Actually I think I might have spelled it wrong...  :D Anyways....(feels dumb, because he forgot) Sumimasen...*bows* Ja

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 10:37:01 am »
Wakkata. ^.^

Demo, nihongo wo bekyo, hanashimasen. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 09:03:09 pm »
Must... resist... pointing out... mistakes ><

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 10:09:28 pm »
No, please point them out...Im still learning...Practice makes...well you know....BETTER!...Ja

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 11:16:18 am »
Watashi wa yonnen mae kara nihon-go ga benkyo shiteimashita.  Mada taitei chigaimasukedo, daisuki desu.  Shourai honyakusha ni naritai desu.  ^_~*  Rainen furansu-go o benkyo shite hajimemasu.  "Trilingual" ni naru hoshii desu.  (Sono kotobo ga nihon-go de wakaranai yo.  >.<)

-please point out mistakes; I'm always trying to improve-

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 11:55:54 am »
sore wa himitsu desu

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 04:56:07 pm »
Okay... let's see here...
First the topic title.  Technically, it depends on the translation you're going for but one of them is a little odd in this situation.  "Hanashitemasuka" would be the causal form of the -ing form of "to speak".  But in this context it is saying "Are you speaking Japanese (at this very moment)?"  To ask if they speak any Japanese, say "Nihongo o Hanashimasuka?"  Get rid of the "te".
Wakkata. ^.^   Demo, nihongo wo bekyo, hanashimasen. ^.^

It's Wakatta and there's an "n" in benkyou.
Watashi wa yonnen mae kara nihon-go ga benkyo shiteimashita. Mada taitei chigaimasukedo, daisuki desu. Shourai honyakusha ni naritai desu. ^_~* Rainen furansu-go o benkyo shite hajimemasu. "Trilingual" ni naru hoshii desu. (Sono kotobo ga nihon-go de wakaranai yo. >.<)

Honestly, I only found three possible mistakes here.  I think it's "'Trilingual' ni naritai desu" and possibly get rid of the "kara" after "mae".  Did you mean "kotoba," language?  And just to make sure, FilkAeris, you studied Japanese four years ago, right?  Just making sure I have the translation right.
This is Mahou Sensei Negima signing out.  (Who here gets this joke?)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 07:48:46 pm »
*grins*  Not bad...I would say "hanasemasu", personally, since that's "can you speak Japanese" as opposed to "do you speak" and is a little more natural-sounding.  But it's a personal choice.

As for "naru hoshii", that's me trying to vary the diet from all them "-tai"s.  Did it come out incorrect?  >.<

And "kara" is "from, since".  Changes it to "I've been studying Japanese for four years" instead of just saying I studied it "yonnen mae", four years ago.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 08:59:45 pm »
*Bows* I was just going for some of the earlier stuff.  I do know the can/able form.  I'm not sure if you can do a verb and hoshii together.  I always thougt it was only "(noun) ga hoshii desu."  As for mae kara, that part I wasn't sure about.  I'll admit that some subjects in Japanese have not been my best friend; mae and ato are one of those.  I'm still having trouble with the "possesive No" particle.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 10:26:14 pm »
The way I deal with possessive no is to think of the pattern this way:

A no B = B of A

That works out better than thinking of "no" as " 's".  It ends up making more sense in almost every instance.  The only use of "no" that I still hang up on is "noun no adjective", which still makes no sense to me.

Example:  "SASUKE NO BAKA!"  Why not use "Baka na Sasuke", 'stupid Sasuke'?  'Sasuke's idiot' doesn't exactly make much sense...unless you're a Naru/Sasu fan and referring to Naruto, but that's beside the point.

I still haven't gotten word on what the deal is with this; can anyone explain?

Offline Eqqplant

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 09:47:42 am »
I'm not especially strong in Japanese yet but the way I think of it is that "baka" is a noun that can be used as an adjective (my teachers call it a "na-adjective") so when you put it after anouther noun like that, there has to be a "no."
Also, there may be a difference in emphasis with "baka na sosuke" (stupid SOSUKE) and "sosuke no baka" (sosuke's STUPIDITY). Compare to the English "YOU are stupid" and "you are STUPID."
Yeah, that may not all be true but that's how I think of it. In reality it may just be a set phrase. Perhaps that helped?
Imagine Engrish all day everyday!

Offline Yuki_Yue

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 09:29:04 pm »
*coughs a little* I don't know much Japanese, but I understood the topic question just fine. *shrugs* Learning alone isn't much fun, and it seems everywhere I look, words mean different things.

Offline CutieHoney

• Oni
    • My myspace
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 09:54:26 pm »
Eh, even if the first part is a little bit off, as long as japanese people understand you a bit they applaude your effort! :D

nihongo sukoshi o hanashiteimasuka. I've been out of it for a little while so it takes me a moment to jog my memory...
I like to make new anime buddies. So just contact me via messanger.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/chinadoll66102
Livejournal: (though it's pretty much friends-only: http://httP://www.livejournal.com

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 02:52:33 pm »
(Going way off topic) I thought I should post this as it was my first example of why you should be careful with pronunciation.  The only thing that separates the two is extending the sound of the "n."
Shinnin - Newly hired
Shinin - Dead person
Remember them well.  ^_^

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 05:27:28 pm »
Boku wa nihongo wo hanaseru kedo, namakemono nan da kara, amari renshu shinai... sumanai naa.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 08:55:25 pm »
Watashi mo namakemono da kedo, nihongo no manga o yomu no ga dai suki da yo!  (Sonna koto wa tanoshikute suteki na renshu desho.)

jaz

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 08:10:43 am »
or like if i said ohido for a good moring (i know thats spelled wrong but i don't have my book with me) if i pronoce it wrong it sounds like ohio

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 05:11:59 pm »
yudan shitara jigoku ikiyo

i cant remeber what that means

Offline Kay-Skay

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 09:08:56 pm »
Well I'm a first year student and we had just gotten introduced to baseTa and baseTE when the third term ended.  So...

Watashi no nihon-go wa mada mada desu.

I understand what most of the other posts are saying but I kinda have to think about it because I'm not real familiar with the causal usage.

Ja matte mina-san!
I am a cloudy sky in which shafts of brilliance pirce through to momentarily illuminate the earth.
KLM

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 08:22:53 pm »
howdy! im just JUST learning japanses but i can say....anata wa amerkin-jin desu ka? hai, watashi wa amerkin-jin desu. and....kore wa nan desu ka? lol i hoep i spelled everything right.
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 08:25:02 pm »
oops *japanese  :oops:  :roll:
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%

Offline Darken

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2004, 10:29:05 pm »
skushi nihongo,  boku wa nihongo obenkyoshimasu.   i need to study alot more i fell behind in class.=p
 How many of u know slang :twisted:

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 09:18:58 am »
Quote from: "Darken"
skushi nihongo,  boku wa nihongo obenkyoshimasu.   i need to study alot more i fell behind in class.=p

I know some slang but that's mostly from reading Japanese manga.  Also something I think I should point out is that manga tend to have their own forms of grammer.
Example:  (Real life) - Shite iru.  (Manga) - Shiteru

As for slang, I know maybe a few words but nothing overly impressive.

(And Darken, do you mean "sukoshi" at the beginning of your post?)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 09:22:27 am »
Quote from: "Spit"
howdy! im just JUST learning japanses but i can say....anata wa amerkin-jin desu ka? hai, watashi wa amerkin-jin desu. and....kore wa nan desu ka? lol i hoep i spelled everything right.

"anata wa AMERIKAN-JIN desu ka?"
Other than that, everything else looks fine.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 10:49:03 am »
Quote from: "zenix"
yudan shitara jigoku ikiyo

i cant remeber what that means

Well, I don't know the first bit off the top of my head, but I believe "jigoku ikiyo" is something along the lines of "go to hell".  ^_^*

And it's amerika-jin.  Like nihon-jin and furansu-jin and oranda-jin.  (Japanese, Frenchman, and Dutchman, respectively.)  The name of the country, and then -jin, "person".

Speaking of which, a lot of Americans think that the Japanese word for "foreigner" is gaijin, which leads to phrases like "Watashi wa gaijin desu."  Unfortunately, gaijin is actually a shortened and somewhat offensive slang version of the real word for "foreigner", gaikokujin ("one from another country").  Gaijin translates to something more like "outsider" and is, I repeat, rather rude to the foreigner being discussed.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 06:56:20 pm »
Quote from: "FilkAeris"
And it's amerika-jin.  Like nihon-jin and furansu-jin and oranda-jin.  (Japanese, Frenchman, and Dutchman, respectively.)  The name of the country, and then -jin, "person".

*Knocks head against the wall*  I realized that an hour or so after I posted.  I was hoping to repost to fix that mistake before someone else noticed.  >_<  I use the excuse that it has been a long, tiring week for me.

Offline kbour

• Oni
yudan shitara, jigoku ikiyo
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 01:48:55 am »
Nihongo ni tsuite hanashi ga dai suki desu!  Sate, "yudan shitara, jigoku ikiyo"...  fushigi na hyogen desu ne.  "Yudan suru" to iu no wa eigo de "be off guard" toka "be inattentive."  Dakara "yudan shitara" wa "if you are off guard" ka "if you aren't paying attention" to iu imi desu.  "Jigoku" wa "hell," to "iki yo" wa "you WILL go."  "Iki" wa teinei no "iku" da to omoukedo 100 pasento de wa arimasen... :)  Soredewa "yudan shitara, jigoku ikiyo" wa mukashi no kotowaza da to omoimasu, "chui shinakute wa ikenai" to onaji mitai.  :)  Mina-san, nihongo no benkyou wo ganbatte kudasai, watashi mo kanji no renshuu wo ganbarimasu!  Sore ni dareka ga nihongo ni tsuite shitsumon ga areba, watashi ni kite kudasai. :)

Offline kbour

• Oni
mo hitotsu no koto...
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 02:02:11 am »
Teinei na kokugo no tsukau koto wo chotto dake hanashiaitaindesu.  Watashi wa daigaku de yonnenkan nihongo ga benkyou shimashita.  Senseitachi wa itsumo desu/masu no kata wo tsukatte oshiemashita.  Demo nihon ni iku toki, casual na kata wo itsumo tsukaimashita.  America ni kaeru toki, watashi no hanashi ga "chotto shitsurei" to "15-sai no onnanoko mitai" da to iwarete shimaimashita.  Honto ni kanashii deshita.  Sono toki kara desu/masu no tsukau koto wo ganbarimashita.  Mina-san mo ki wo tsukete kudasai.  :)

Offline Fade

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 05:58:30 am »
Wakaranai.

Man, I really should've paid more attention in Japanese class. :)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: yudan shitara, jigoku ikiyo
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2004, 09:50:07 am »
Quote from: "kbour"
Nihongo ni tsuite hanashi ga dai suki desu!  Sate, "yudan shitara, jigoku ikiyo"...  fushigi na hyogen desu ne.  "Yudan suru" to iu no wa eigo de "be off guard" toka "be inattentive."  Dakara "yudan shitara" wa "if you are off guard" ka "if you aren't paying attention" to iu imi desu.  "Jigoku" wa "hell," to "iki yo" wa "you WILL go."  "Iki" wa teinei no "iku" da to omoukedo 100 pasento de wa arimasen... :)  Soredewa "yudan shitara, jigoku ikiyo" wa mukashi no kotowaza da to omoimasu, "chui shinakute wa ikenai" to onaji mitai.  :)  Mina-san, nihongo no benkyou wo ganbatte kudasai, watashi mo kanji no renshuu wo ganbarimasu!  Sore ni dareka ga nihongo ni tsuite shitsumon ga areba, watashi ni kite kudasai. :)

*Rubs fingers over the bridge of nose*  Okay, let's see if I can get some of this right in the order it goes....  Please note this is a rough translation, not exact.
kbour said:
I really like to speak Japanese.  The expression "..." is a little odd. To say "..." means "to be off guard" and/or "be inattentive."  Because you're saying "...", it means "if you aren't paying attention."  "J..." means "..." and "Iki yo" means "you WILL go."  I think "Iki" is usually "Iku" but I'm not 100 percent sure (note: not sure of this sentence myself).
Anyway, I think "..." is an old saying and "..." means the same thing.
Everyone, please try your best at studying Japanese, and I will try hard practicing my kanji.  If you have any questions about Japanese language, please ask me.

That's what I got at least.  Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on the translation.

Offline David4516

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2004, 09:32:00 am »
はじめまして ぼく は デイビッド です。 日本語 が 大好き です、 でも ぼく の 日本語 は 弱い です。 日本語 は とても むずかし です ね  :(  

PCC大学 で べんきょう します。 ぼく の 日本語 の 先生 は おもしろい です。

hajimemashite boku wa deibiddo desu. nihongo ga daisuki desu, demo boku no nihongo wa yowai desu. nihongo wa totemo muzukashi desu ne  :(

PCC daigaku de benkyou shimasu. boku no nihongo no sensei wa omoshiroi desu.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2004, 02:39:36 pm »
Quote from: "David4516"
はじめまして ぼく は デイビッド です。 日本語 が 大好き です、 でも ぼく の 日本語 は 弱い です。 日本語 は とても むずかし です ね  :(  

PCC大学 で べんきょう します。 ぼく の 日本語 の 先生 は おもしろい です。

hajimemashite boku wa deibiddo desu. nihongo ga daisuki desu, demo boku no nihongo wa yowai desu. nihongo wa totemo muzukashi desu ne  :(

PCC daigaku de benkyou shimasu. boku no nihongo no sensei wa omoshiroi desu.

"...boku no nihongo wa HETA desu" and "muzukashii."
Yowai means weak physically.  Heta means weak in skill (unskillful).

Offline David4516

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2004, 08:35:41 pm »
すみません/sumimasen  :oops:

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2004, 04:01:50 pm »
yoshi yoshi

kuroneko

&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12395;&#12388;
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2004, 11:01:31 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"

I know some slang but that's mostly from reading Japanese manga.  Also something I think I should point out is that manga tend to have their own forms of grammer.

Actually, that's not just manga slang. When Japanese speak, they omit the "iru" part of "shiteiru," shiteimasu," etc.  Sometimes they'll even add a "n," for example, instead of saying "shiteiru" they will say "shiterun.." Like  "shiterundakedo..."

But you make a very important point about slang in manga. A lot of people "learn" Japanese through reading manga, but what they often learn is not appropriate in a classroom or workplace.  It's really important to recognize the different between language often used in manga, and the style of language used, say, between a teacher and a student.  I've seen a lot of people (unintentionally) use very rude language toward their Japanese teachers because they do not completely understand what they are learning through Japanese comics. It's not that you cannot learn anything from manga, it's just that you have to be wary of what you are learning.

ー黒猫

Kuroneko

&#31192;&#23494;
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2004, 11:05:51 pm »
sore wa himitsu desu

なぜ秘密ですか、Zenixさん? (笑)
(Naze himitsudesuka, Zenixsan?)

ー黒猫

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Re: &#31192;&#23494;
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2004, 02:24:52 am »
Quote from: "Kuroneko"
sore wa himitsu desu

なぜ秘密ですか、Zenixさん? (笑)
(Naze himitsudesuka, Zenixsan?)

ー黒猫

Slayers wa himitsu desu. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: &#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12395;&#12
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2004, 08:35:44 pm »
Quote from: "kuroneko"
Quote from: "Negima"

Actually, that's not just manga slang. When Japanese speak, they omit the "iru" part of "shiteiru," shiteimasu," etc.  Sometimes they'll even add a "n," for example, instead of saying "shiteiru" they will say "shiterun.." Like  "shiterundakedo..."

But you make a very important point about slang in manga. A lot of people "learn" Japanese through reading manga, but what they often learn is not appropriate in a classroom or workplace.  It's really important to recognize the different between language often used in manga, and the style of language used, say, between a teacher and a student.  I've seen a lot of people (unintentionally) use very rude language toward their Japanese teachers because they do not completely understand what they are learning through Japanese comics. It's not that you cannot learn anything from manga, it's just that you have to be wary of what you are learning.

ー黒猫

Hmm, very good point there.
Oh, and something I thought of is, in some cases, you should know a little about the series.  For example, you may not want to learn Japanese by first reading "Pita Ten"~su.  ^_^