Author Topic: Terrifyingly accurate Cosplay Merch at the Expo Center this Weekend.  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
And cons usually DON'T let you actually cosplay with authentic, actually-able-to-fire weapons, BUT
This weekend is the Expo Center Gun/knife Show:
http://wesknodelgunshows.com/pages/EXPO.html

Here is Rally Vincent's CZ-75 from Gunsmith Cats.

BTW Barnette in Vandread also uses this same piece:

(Centuries into the future and on a distant planet, no less...)

EDIT UPDATE: Rico in Gunslinger Girls also carries the CZ75!

(Good Girl - finger on the side of the frame and out of the trigger guard
until you are on target and you have made a decision to fire.)

Revy's pistols in Black Lagoon are based on the Beretta 92FS with Inox finish.
Evidently Airsoft has a toy/replica available with the custom grips and the Thai lettering on the frame.
I read on another blog that the Thai is just a translation of the typical manufacturer's markings on the real Beretta.
But I don't know Thai characters so I cannot confirm personally.

Anyways, the Beretta ALSO feels like a real piece of the 70s!
Put your hand on the grip and it all rushes back - sideburns, shirt collar points out to your shoulders, the 3-pound Mr.T gold chain starter set, lime green leisure suits with suede elbow patches and fringes on the breast pockets ..... gawd....

Anyways, ENJOY THE SHOW!

If you ever get your hands on one of these as a collectible, it would probably end up being worth more in the standard, stock configuration like this, rather than pimping it out Revy-style with all those engravings and the custom ivory colored grip with the skull & swords inlays. Though you might go for the threaded barrel and cap (Hey - does anyone know if Revy every uses a suppressor?)

(Edit: Good choice for the new home for this category - thx.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:37:09 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Terrifyingly accurate Cosplay Merch at the Expo Center this Weekend.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 04:53:17 pm »
Never been to a gun show, but I've been to blade stores. Mine is a stag handle skeindo (a Scottish dirk). I remember your workshop on what's accurate re guns & weapons in anime, Hm, maybe it was 2005. Your knowledge base is amazing.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »
Never been to a gun show, but I've been to blade stores. Mine is a stag handle skeindo (a Scottish dirk). I remember your workshop on what's accurate re guns & weapons in anime, Hm, maybe it was 2005. Your knowledge base is amazing.
A Scian dubh! Classic Scottish stuff FTW!
I think the Gaelic means 'dark blade' or 'black blade' iirc, because it's for nasty but necessary, less than honorable under the table, hidden strikes, quick firtive movements, pulled from a 'surprise' location like a boot-knife, etc, rather than an 'honest' challenge to arms: "Stand and draw your sword, Sir."

Many gun shows also bring out replica sword vendors. But they're almost all replicas and fantasy blades, except for bayonettes and military blades, which are mostly the real deal.. You will *not* find an authentic Bizen katana at gun show. But you will find people offering "samurai swords" made out of 440 stainless (COUGH, COUGH, CHOKE, BARF.)

Also saw some of those WWi German / Prussion helmets with the spike in the top.
One of those might be fun in Steampunk, rather than anime.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:55:10 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:27:23 am »
Thank you for the correct spelling, translation, and history. I was purely guessing phonetically :D

I used to wear (live steel) bodice dagger and boot dagger as part of my SCA and pirate LARP garb.
Do you have any idea what style(s) would be historically accurate? (Must be sheathed, obviously).
My persona is a Marrano Rebbitzen (a Jew, secretly still practicing and leading others in secret practice, at risk of death,  after pretending to have converted), during the Inquisition. She's negotiated with the Commodore of a pirate fleet that they ferret other Marranos to safety on their ships.

Also, I am considering cosplaying Peggy from Captain America, which I chose to see on Patriots' Day last night. If you've seen it, were you able to discern what she was using?

A Scian dubh! Classic Scottish stuff FTW!
I think the Gaelic means 'dark blade' or 'black blade' iirc, because it's for nasty but necessary, less than honorable under the table, hidden strikes, quick firtive movements, pulled from a 'surprise' location like a boot-knife, etc, rather than an 'honest' challenge to arms: "Stand and draw your sword, Sir."

Many gun shows also bring out replica sword vendors. But they're almost all replicas and fantasy blades, except for bayonettes and military blades, which are mostly the real deal.. You will *not* find an authentic Bizen katana at gun show. But you will find people offering "samurai swords" made out of 440 stainless (COUGH, COUGH, CHOKE, BARF.)

Also saw some of those WWi German / Prussion helmets with the spike in the top.
One of those might be fun in Steampunk, rather than anime.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:33:57 am by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).