Author Topic: Envious  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
Envious
« on: September 07, 2011, 11:04:18 pm »
So does any one else make things for other people and get a bit envious when they get attention for your hard work? I do lots of work on friends costumes often straight up making their props or very large portions of their costume and it makes me happy to see my work appreciated for sure but at the same time it feels like they get the attention for the work that I did. Any one else run into this?

I'm not sure I want to say what costume I'm referring here because I don't want to sound petty.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
Re: Envious
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:22 pm »
I wouldn't think it would be something to get worried about. I mean, i'd be thrilled to have people giving a prop i made attention, and i'm pretty sure the person who had said prop would say who made it if the person asked ^^

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:48:19 pm »
I think misdirected recognition kinda goes with the whole silent benefactor gig, dude. :)

Certainly, accept thee prop as your own in any portfolio's you put together, but unless you want your friends to wear signs around their neck, disowning the props (this is hyperbole, not an idea) I'd just suck it up and smile knowingly if people like what they see.

That said, I know where you're coming from :)
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:50:33 pm »
The good thing about people liking the cosplay is that if you put it up saying that you made it, people will recognize it and praise you
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:08 pm »
I agree. If you made a prop people adore and the person wearing it attests to that fact, you might end up with commissions down the line. The earring I wore with my Yuna this year was made by PaperRoxas for one and I asked her to make it specifically so I could switch it between wigs and she didn't mind in the least :) It had a really nice visual effect too with the costume.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:57:11 am »
You already sound kinda  petty.
But naturally they shouldn't' take credit for it. I can't sew at all but all of friends make amazing costumes and I always make sure to give them credit

On the other hand it is also very frustrating for me because they refuse to teach me how to do it myself. So I'm stuck relying on them-and it takes them FOREVER.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:22 am »
I made my sister's Keyblade but she always gave me credit when complimented...I love that kid!!

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:56 am »
it's prolly just a natural feeling =w= so it cant be helped
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:35:05 am »
i know i always give credit where credit is due and i love the fact that when ever my bf (blizzaradragon) gets compliments on his hope costume he gives me all the credit <3
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:21 am »
Yeah my friends give credit where credit is due for the most part and I'm always glad to help them out. It just sucks to see my friends getting all the attention for my work sometimes.

Like I said it's really a big deal I still love what I do and I love helping out, I suppose it's just a small downside to an otherwise great thing.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:33 am »
Envy is when one is jealous to the point of wishing ill upon someone. Can't say I've ever felt that, although I will admit to being jealous of others people's cosplays. Not in a harmful way, I just wish that I had as great of cosplays as them.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:29 am »
okay perhaps envy isn't the best word then. Just a little bit jealous.

Offline Katacus

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:13:31 am »
I always make my boyfriend's costumes and when he gets compliments, it feels the same to me as getting a direct compliment. It's only when we're from the same series and people only want his picture do I feel jealous/offended.

Offline Havilah

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:13 am »
Sometimes it bugs me just a little, but I usually make things for my siblings and they almost always give me credit for things. Not that I need a pat on the back every time, but it is nice. I'd like to go into costume design or something to do with costumes, so I don't let myself get my nose all out of joint if someone forgets to credit me once or twice. It's rewarding enough getting to see the whole picture on someone else so you can admire it from afar.