Author Topic: Starter Anime?  (Read 8087 times)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
Starter Anime?
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:26 pm »
So I have a friend of mine who is getting tired of listening to me blather on about anime, since she doesn't watch any. Today, she asked me what a good anime would be for a first anime. And for the first time when it comes to anime, I drew a total blank.

I ended up saying Baccano!!, since it's a good anime as well as has a western feel to it, but I don't know what else to say, or if that's even a good idea. My friends have said things like Bleach and Soul Eater, but I feel like those aren't good first animes.

So I'm looking for ideas in three categories- Shojo, Shonen and In General. Thank you!
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Starter Anime?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:50 pm »
My Neighbor Totoro is amazing and one of the first animes I saw.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »
This is true, but I'm fairly certain she's seen lots of Miyazaki's movies. I watched Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle with her, and I think she's seen others...
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:04:18 pm »
I'd say Panty and Stocking, since it's got lots of jokes that Americans can easily identify with.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:12:57 pm »
Yeah, Panty and Stocking is like a horribly dirty Powerpuff Girls! It's the best!  ;)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:28:36 am »
It really comes down to what sort of shows she watches normally. If she's into comedy, then the people saying Panty and Stocking are on the right track, or something like Desert Punk or Lucky Star. If she's into action, then Bleach or Soul Eater would actually be really good. If she's into drama, something like Clannad or Full Metal Alchemist would be good. If she's into horror, go for Higurashi(When They Cry). Finally, if she's into more mature style shows I would recommend B Gata H Kei or Girls Bravo.

Personally my first were Zoids and DBZ, but I didn't even know what anime was when I watched those. My first "true anime experience" though was with Bleach, and that is still my favorite to this day.

Just don't start her on Naruto or Hetalia. I've seen and heard of those two backfiring on many different people, so wait until she enjoys anime and see if she gets into those herself.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:02:51 am »
I haven't even watch Panty and Stocking, but I think I might have to now :D Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:30:13 pm »
How old is your friend?  That could make a huge difference.  Also, try finding something that has an animation style that is similar to something not as "ANIME" looking.  That is probably why I'd recommend Panty & Stocking, but you're going to want to watch it first, so that you'll have an idea on how she'll respond.

I would also like to recommend:
Chrono Crusade - The story is set in 1920's America but still has a modern flare to it.
Grave of the Fireflies - ONLY if she's into sad movies, possibly into war movies as well.
Slayers - This would probably work best if she's into role-playing games.
Animatrix - Did she like the Matrix movies?  Well, at least the first one...?
Azumanga Daioh - The fun stories of high school students are usually worth watching.
Tokyo Godfathers - MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Ouran High School Host Club - Definitely worth showing to a girl that has a sense of humor.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:22:08 pm »
My friend is 18 with a sort of childlike demeanor, but she and I carry on about romance novels (both teen and adult), and she absolutely loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Mentalist
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:29:49 pm »
Cowboy. Bebop. Hands down and I can't believe it hasn't been said yet. Seriously the best anime I have seen to date.

As they get more into anime Neon Genesis is good but it is really trippy, FLCL is also very very good (but I wouldn't recommend they start with it, its kinda hard to follow and may turn them off of anime).

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:46 pm »
I've watched FLCL four times and still don't get it >.>
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:15:38 am »
My friend is 18 with a sort of childlike demeanor, but she and I carry on about romance novels (both teen and adult), and she absolutely loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Mentalist

Yeah, if she's into romance then she'd definitely enjoy Clannad.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »

There are other threads on here about this very subject.  You may want to search them out.

The anime I always recommend is Kiki's Delivery Service, but you have stated she has seen some of the Ghibli films already.

If she likes vampires and other mythical creatures, there are quite a few shows about them from the humorous ones like Karrin (Chibi Vampire) and Astarotte no Omocha! (Lottie's Toy) to the semi humorous like Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase to the serious like Dance in the Vampire Bund, Vampire Knight, and Hellsing.

She may also like Gosick (think turn of the century Gothic Lolita detective) or Natsume Yuujinchou (I see spirits).

If she was ever a fan of Xena warrior princess, then show her Seirei no Moribito (Moribito - Guardian of the Sacred Spirit).  This show is full of action, has a good story, and is visually stunning.

If you want humor, there are almost to many to name.  I like Special A, SKET Dance, and Kaichou wa Maid-sama.  These are easy to understand, and portray quite a bit of the Japanese sense of humor, as well as their lifestyle.

I'll leave you with that for an opener.  If you are located near Eugene then come by my Anime Friday.  I have it every Friday at 7:00PM.  I have every show listed so far.  ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »
Someone above said not to start on Naruto and recommended Bleach, but just the opposite happened in my experience. One of my friends totally likes anime (and Naruto), but tried to get into Bleach and couldn't. It really depends on the person.

For girls, I would definitely recommend The Wallflower (manga is >>>> than anime). My sister has never been into anime, and she absolutely loves that show.

Again for girls I would recommend the manga Boys Over Flowers. I haven't seen the anime yet, but if it's anything like the manga, it'll be amazing. (The Korean Drama is really good, too)

Again, Bleach and Naruto are great...but I feel like they start kind of slow. They do tend to get really amazing about 20-30 episodes in.

I personally love Inuyasha, but none of the people I've recommended it to liked it.

Deathnote, deathnote, deathnote is soooo interesting.

"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02:31 am »
I love the Wallflower manga. The anime just isn't that great >.> I've given my friend a couple volumes of it since she's away for a while.

As for the Inuyasha thing, I think it's just lost it's luster. I loved it in middle school. I highly dislike it now.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 07:36:20 pm »
If she likes crude humor, consider Shin-Chan.

I don't think ANYONE is supposed to get it...

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 11:02:14 pm »
I love the Wallflower manga. The anime just isn't that great >.> I've given my friend a couple volumes of it since she's away for a while.

As for the Inuyasha thing, I think it's just lost it's luster. I loved it in middle school. I highly dislike it now.

Really? What made you dislike it? I know that it gets repetitive after a while. I had to kind of leave and go back to it. However, The Final Act finally started getting somewhere.
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 02:07:20 am »
If she likes crude humor, consider Shin-Chan.

I don't think ANYONE is supposed to get it...

Read the manga. It explains everything...                              (not)

While I agree, Cowboy Bebop is a definately good primer to high quality anime - I always thought Samurai Champloo would be a good contender.

Just don't do what a freind of mine did - Don't start them off with english dub early Naruto. (Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it)
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 02:48:42 am »
Just don't do what a freind of mine did - Don't start them off with english dub early Naruto. (Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it,Believe it)

(>_<)  *facepalm*

They need to have their Anime Pimp union card revoked for a mistake like that.

(Unless they were prescient and realized that this person would become one of "those" type of fans, in which case it might've been a public service.)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:54 am »
@Halycon- I need to watch the final act, that's true. I've heard it's really good! The only arc I liked of the orignal was the Band of Seven, since I liked Bankotsu xD I hated that the characters never really had depth... and the whole "Inuyasha can't make up his effing mind" thing made me mad...

@Venusgate- I like the manga xD I own both volumes. Still doesn't help
Cowboy Bepop and Samurai Champloo seem to be the best ones :) Which is funny. I didn't watch either until later in my Otaku life... my first (real ones. Not counting Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon) were Sailor Moon and Yu Yu Hakusho. And I can get people addicted to YYH real quick xD

@Random- I couldn't watch the dub of that... two episodes in and I hated it...
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »
While I agree, Cowboy Bebop is a definately good primer to high quality anime - I always thought Samurai Champloo would be a good contender.

I, for one, would encourage SC over CB any day.  There were a few things about SC that I didn't care too much for, but at least it was entertaining and (in my opinion) gave off the impression that a newby would possibly enjoy it.  CB seems to me like it would only appeal to those that are already into anime, and only if they're into that type of series; personally, I don't think it's worth the hype, but I'm not the majority of the otaku nation... ;D

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »
I suggest School Rumble.

Maybe even Sgt. Frog for total Randomness

Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:57 am »
Hmm..  I thought of an anime that just might be perfect as a starter anime.  As an example of all that is great about Japanese animation, it is the perfect example.  The anime I am thinking of is Cross Game.  Although it is technically a sports anime about baseball, the true story is a love story and one of the best soap opera style dramas I have ever seen in anime.  The first episode is a strong example of how Japanese anime is NOT for kids and is different than American cartoons.  Give it a look.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »
I suggest School Rumble.

Maybe even Sgt. Frog for total Randomness

School Rumble would be a great one!  I didn't even think of that!  (Can't say one way or the other about Sgt. Frog, since I have yet to see it myself, but I've heard great things about it).