Author Topic: News Article in the Columbian !  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
News Article in the Columbian !
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:08 pm »
http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/sep/05/unconventional-convention-closes-plans-to-come-bac/

This article put the convention in really good light! I am so happy to hear positive things from the community about the convention and its attendees. Seems like The Hilton Managers actually really enjoy hosting us, unlike other hotels in the past!

"Unconventional convention closes, plans to come back to Vancouver
Fans of anime gave downtown economic boost over weekend.

The Kumoricon crowd will be back in Vancouver next year.

And Steven Nelson of the Hilton Vancouver Washington says he’s as happy as an anime devotee that the brightly costumed conventioneers will rock the hotel in 2012.

More than 4,000 participants were here over the weekend for Kumoricon 2011, a celebration of the Japanese cartoon phenomenon.

“They are booked for next year,” Nelson, the hotel’s assistant general manager, said Monday. “This has been the largest convention of the year in terms of sheer number of people.”

“We’ve been delighted,” he said. “They have been great guests. They have been great for the city and downtown. I’m sure the local businesses downtown have benefitted.”

The hotel’s 226 rooms were all taken for the long weekend.

Any problems?

“We’ve had no major issues. It’s a group of very polite, courteous individuals,” Nelson said.

How about bar and food sales?

“It’s a dry convention. That’s how they’ve publicized it,” Nelson said. “We have had some great food sales throughout our hotel.”

He said sales were good at the hotel’s restaurant, Gray’s at the Park, and at the lobby coffee bar. He said an ice cream bar concession “was an enormous hit.”

He said sales also were good for sandwiches, pizza, chips, soda and bottled water available at the hotel.

“It’s been wonderful,” Nelson said, noting many conventioneers are teens and folks in their 20s.

Another downtown businessperson was happy about the convention.

“Anytime we can get that number of people into downtown, it helps infuse our restaurants and retail,” said Kim Bennett, president and CEO of the Vancouver USA Regional Tourism Office. “We keep trying to stress that it’s more than just the money spent on lodging and dining, that it also is supporting our employment here in Vancouver and Clark County.”

The convention was in downtown Portland last year.

Ally Fields, convention director of publicity, said conventiongoers have loved being in downtown Vancouver. “Everybody in Vancouver has been amazing,” she said during Sunday’s activities.

An employee of the Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay said the 160 rooms there also were full.

Participants were everywhere in downtown, including at Esther Short Park, the Vancouver Farmers Market, at eateries and in vintage clothing shops.

Asked for his opinion on the dress of the participants, the Hilton’s Nelson ventured, “I would say it is not your typical business meeting. We had this group in 2007. We were very sad to see them go.”

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: News Article in the Columbian !
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:00:36 pm »
That's so awesome! It is just so endearing and exciting to know that the Hilton and Red Lion hotel staffs enjoy con as much as we do. It is a great feeling to know that the relationship between Kumoricon and its venues is pleasant both ways. This is why I was glad to come back in 2011, and why I'm stoked to go back in 2012. The hotel staff there rock, and knowing that they enjoy having us around...well, it's exciting.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »
I didnt get to go to closing ceremonies. Did they say itll be back at the hilton in 2012?

Offline Borzoi_Feet

• Sailor Scout
    • Fanart on Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »
Thank you for the link! This is wonderful news. The staff were fantastic to me and my stupid fumbles this year. And to have an honest positive news article instead of the weird backhanded compliments many cons get is such a relief... I- dang, I can't think of any good words to say other than I'm really, really happy.

I want to hug their staff now.
For all your stupid fandom comic needs: http://lilithnanhart.deviantart.com/

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »
I didnt get to go to closing ceremonies. Did they say itll be back at the hilton in 2012?
Yep! The Hilton and Red Lion both. :)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:53:27 pm »
Thank god! I love when its here in vancouver. And its byfar my favorite place. 2007 was my first con, and having it here just makes me so happy!