Author Topic: Cosplay Restoration booth  (Read 8540 times)

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Restoration booth
« on: September 06, 2011, 03:30:13 pm »
Sooo... I had this idea for a booth...
Having been to three cons now, I feel a little more au fait with con-goers wants and needs (including my own).

I have no experience with something like this beyond the ability to mend, glue, re-attach, etc, but I've never seen anything like a station where a cosplayer in distress can go to get a quick fix - if they happened to leave their sewing machine and soldering iron at home.

I'm looking for input, ideas, advice or even reasons against putting together a "Cosplay restoration" booth or even stall for next year's con
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:30:59 pm by Venusgate »
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

oslapedo

Re: Cosplay Restoration booth
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »
This sounds like a really cool idea. Maybe the info booth could have a little Cosplay First Aid kit area.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:57:45 pm »
Lol "Cosplay First Aid Kit." I like the booth idea, especially if the booth had an iron and other specialized equipment. The booth could even be run by volunteers and be paid on a commission basis.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »
Lol "Cosplay First Aid Kit." I like the booth idea, especially if the booth had an iron and other specialized equipment. The booth could even be run by volunteers and be paid on a commission basis.
I was thinking just like a flat $1 charge. Like, cost of thread and glue sticks.

Also, maybe set it up to be run before the major cosplay events (like cosplay contest and cosplay chess)
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:44 pm »
We had something similar to this in a whole room at SakuraCon this past year. It was really nice. They had a little bit of everything and were able to help with my first cosplay crisis. And I got about a half ton of safety pins put into my costume because of it.

They had limited hours but there were enough people coming and going that almost anyone could answer your question about anything. And the room was definately big enough! ^^
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:10:13 am »
I mean, if you want your costume pressed and it's a fatty, complicated costume, the person doing the ironing would probably want more than a dollar. Lol. There are a lot of different repairs that could need to be done. Something like sewing on a button or a snap, maybe a couple dollars, if all the person wants is a safety pin then just give it to them. XD
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 02:39:08 pm »
Though I must say, the reason the one at SakuraCon was probably such a good success is because it didn't ask for money and everything there were lent to the people running it. While some people may be willing to pay, on the other hand if it's just a simple repair that the person can do themselves if they had the tools, they're likely to pass up paying for it when they can do it for free when they get home in a few days.
Kumori'15

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 03:53:36 pm »
Though I must say, the reason the one at SakuraCon was probably such a good success is because it didn't ask for money and everything there were lent to the people running it. While some people may be willing to pay, on the other hand if it's just a simple repair that the person can do themselves if they had the tools, they're likely to pass up paying for it when they can do it for free when they get home in a few days.

Only reason I would say a flat dollar is to reimburse cost of supplies - not an attempt to turn a profit.
If those supplies were all donated, then yeah, i wouldn't want a dime.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »
Yeah, if all of the supplies are donated or borrowed and people did the labor themselves then there would be no need for a fee, but let's say someone commissioned a costume and got a big rip in it, and they don't know how to sew and want someone to repair it for them, then a fee would come into play.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:38:44 pm »
We (the staff) actually meant to have cosplay first-aid available this year, but it kinda fell through due to not having a definite plan for which department could take it on.

Having cosplay first-aid available at Info Booth is a good idea, and I think it's worth looking into. The only thing I'd be worried about is the crowding factor - Info Booth was a lot busier than expected this year, and cosplay repair can easily take a few minutes of time. I'd hate to see people rush and stab themselves with a safety pin, burn themselves with a glue gun, etc. But at the same time, I'd hate to see a long line of people who just want to know where registration is build up behind a cosplay repairer.

If you're thinking about a booth that does more-than-first-aid cosplay repairs for people (and letting the repairer charge for their time and expertise), that's a really nifty idea. It'd be well worth asking the Artist Alley manager about once we do staff signups. (Officially speaking, we won't have a 2012 Artist Alley manager until then.) But please keep in mind that no matter how good an idea is, it will never go anywhere unless it moves beyond "Someone should do this" into "I will do this".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:15:30 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:54 pm »
I would be willing to help out with something like this
I have the basic skills and actually do it for my friends all the time

Maybe in the same room as the info booth?
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 07:02:13 pm »
If I go to con next year I'd be willing to bring my sewing machine, ironing board, and iron, and donate some of my time to repairing major issues. And I'd let others use my equipment. Like I said, things like safety pins could be taken on a donation basis, and hand sewing needles and thread could be available. I'm not sure I'd want to dedicate my whole con to this though. XD
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:03:42 pm »
Next year i already plan on bringing a first aid kit(tape, super glue, extra materials, and hot glue) i may just let it be used at the booth if that's welcome.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »
I assume Info Booth got so much love because it was right next to the doors and the Main Events hall, thus it was more readily seen. I always forget which floor the Info Booth is on at SakuraCon and keep wishing they could give it a bigger sign or something (I also lose the First Aid station until 2010 when I needed to go to it every day).

If you want the cosplay first-aid station in the same room as the info booth the only place I saw that might work would be back in the corner by the stairs on the side where the Hotel set up the food and ice cream. Any other place in that room would block traffic coming and going, as well as the exiting traffic for the Main Events doors. Maybe putting it up in a room on the 2nd floor like Oak or something would work if it's not being used or panels. Or outside of it by the Fan Booths that were at the top of those stairs.
Kumori'15

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »
Next year i already plan on bringing a first aid kit(tape, super glue, extra materials, and hot glue) i may just let it be used at the booth if that's welcome.

That's actually a fantastic idea - people "loaning" their personal first aid kits until they need it themselves.

I would be willing to help out with something like this
I have the basic skills and actually do it for my friends all the time
I didn't know how to go abouts looking for other people who would actually do this because they enjoy it. high five! :)

But please keep in mind that no matter how good an idea is, it will never go anywhere unless it moves beyond "Someone should do this" into "I will do this".

I didn't post the thread as a request for help as much as a query of interest.

I will provide ~2 hours a day doing this, and organize/setup a station.

I won't go through any amount of effort to sit around and watch the tumble weeds blow on by.

As for space, what about just inside the heritage room, like cordon off a little room around the doors to area C...
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:44 am »
Wasn't all of Heritage taken up as Main Events and green room area?

I know Discovery A was a panel room, while B/C were one, and I think E and D were viewing rooms. And Alder was karaoke. Maybe if possible karaoke could be moved toward the gaming, where I heard they had too much room?

Or use one of the workshop or panel rooms for the booth.

I do recall seeing tables set up for something down the halls opposite the fan booths and oak, cedar, ect. So maybe one of the tables, maybe closest to the elevator, could be the booth? Since there was pretty little traffic everytime I passed by there.
Kumori'15

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 02:46:20 am »
But please keep in mind that no matter how good an idea is, it will never go anywhere unless it moves beyond "Someone should do this" into "I will do this".

I didn't post the thread as a request for help as much as a query of interest.

I will provide ~2 hours a day doing this, and organize/setup a station.

I won't go through any amount of effort to sit around and watch the tumble weeds blow on by.

As for space, what about just inside the heritage room, like cordon off a little room around the doors to area C...
(image snipped)

My apologies if I gave the impression that I had you in mind specifically. I didn't, I was just making a general observation about my biggest worry wrt whether this could be done.

As far as space goes, how about off to the side of the Red Lion info booth?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Dread Pirate

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:55 pm »
Having a booth for this would be great, but people would need to have a heads up that one exists and where it is.
I have been running around with a medium sized bag of repair goodies for people who are in distress because of broken props of torn costumes. Thread, glue, paint and such. To have an actual booth? Amazing idea.
Panel Staff 2012, 2013
Ballroom Coordinator 2014

Offline Tranny

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 02:00:56 pm »
I love the idea. And perhaps just as a suggestion you could have a jar for tips or just donations if people wanted to. that you could eventually use for future cons and such.

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 04:03:15 pm »
Actually, the Hilton staff has a supply of cheap little sewing kits. I had an issue with a button getting loose and the fastener on my skirt falling off. Con staff directed me to the front desk, and the guy there gave me one of their sewing kits. Nothing fancy in it, but it'll put a button back on, or fix a small tear.

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 04:38:10 pm »
I like the idea of a dedicated room or booth where stations could be set up such as a sewing machine station, ironing board station, etc. If they have a dedicated room perhaps they could also host a panel of some sort?

Donation jar sounds good too.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 08:47:11 am »
You know....this is a really great idea.  My sister was having wardrobe malfunctions on Saturday that could have been fixed with a quick alteration. 

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 03:50:50 pm »
Okay, it's official. If you need cosplay first aid supplies, you can find them at the Info Booth this year. :)

I hope this wouldn't discourage the idea of a booth for serious cosplay restoration in the slightest... Info Booth would be for first aid only, and a lot of costumes will need more help than a safety pin.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 03:59:55 pm »
Is it too late to be an info booth helper, or is that like a totem pole thing?
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »
You're absolutely welcome to help at info booth! We can always use more people, and we'd be glad to have ya.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 05:22:38 pm »
I'm also willing to help. After going to K-con for 4 years I feel guilty not helping
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 05:30:01 pm »
just was trolling and saw this thread. i love the idea of it. if someone wanted to do a booth, i could donate the use of my sewing machine, iron, and ironing board. i could also donate the use of some of my time to watch the booth. i dunno exactly what the plan is with this, but it's open.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline BlackHat

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 09:09:25 pm »
If this is a thing this year, I'd love to help out!
Currently working on: Rose Lalonde
No set day order yet for Kumoricon, but tentative cosplay is:
fem!Scout, Rose, Quote
Always open for reworking. Only issues I'm concerned about is Quote's gun and fem!Scout's gun; Never worked with props.

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 11:37:56 am »
I have always brought a cosplay repair kit with me to anime conventions, (that had everything BUT the actual sewing machine) so I would be happy to lend my supplies and time to this awesome booth.  I'll bring my fancy sewing machine, too!  I know how to use it and everything!
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 08:23:48 pm »
Sounds like a great idea! Maybe there could also be a Cosplay Repair 101 workshop or something (Unless there already is. I know there's various workshops telling you about the basics of making cosplay)
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline Davence

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 12:53:34 pm »
They should name it "The snafu booth" lol

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 03:29:56 am »
@Random

Remind me to talk to you about this in person. The Assistant Vice Chair and I have been talking about this extensively and were talking about trying to find places for it. Let us make great things happen!

Also, as someone who cosplays from time to time, and wore various home-made accessories through out college, I found it good to make a point of keeping a spool of black thread, and a needle with me at all times. It was a life saver!
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
@Random

Remind me to talk to you about this in person. The Assistant Vice Chair and I have been talking about this extensively and were talking about trying to find places for it. Let us make great things happen!

Also, as someone who cosplays from time to time, and wore various home-made accessories through out college, I found it good to make a point of keeping a spool of black thread, and a needle with me at all times. It was a life saver!

Though I have not sought out the staff, I'm still all for volunteering my sewing machine and myself.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:33 am »
Ditto to the above comment. If you still need my supplies, lemme know. I'll also watch the booth for some time too.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.