Author Topic: Kumoricon 2011 Artist Alley in Review  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
Kumoricon 2011 Artist Alley in Review
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
Hello all! After months planning and hard work, I feel that Artist Alley was successful and everyone I saw was having a good time. I have opened this thread with the intention to give YOU, the attendee and the artist to share your thoughts, both good and bad, about the artists alley. Who would you like to see returning next year? Who do you wish you saw in the AA? Was the Daily Raffle a success or a bomb?

I know the space is small and I am not sure if that can change much and I know the isle got congested at times. That just means we have TONS of people coming through. :)

Offline childofthemoor

• Cabbit
Re: Kumoricon 2011 Artist Alley in Review
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:49 pm »
The artist's alley was full of wonderful work, although it was a bit small and cramped compared to last year's. It would be nice if the alley was in a slightly larger venue next year so that onlookers can check out the artists' work without crowding.

By the way, is there a list of the artists and their websites? My friends and I commissioned an artist but we have no idea where to see more of his work.
'09 Yuna (Songstress), Lust
'10 Toph (Fire Nation)
'11 Suki (Kyoshi Warrior)

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:34 pm »
The list on the website is not comprehensive, so I will see about having it updated. :)

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:06 pm »
I really liked the variation in the art, the styles, and the subject matter, but it was so hard to browse because it was so crowded. I probably would have browsed more and bought more had there been more space and more time to browse without being in people's way.

I also would have liked to see even more artists at the con; I collect art buttons and was disappointed that there wasn't more selection. A con this size should have twice the number of artists. We should fight for bigger AA space next year! <3

As for the artists themselves, they all seemed pretty happy and were nice and friendly :D  There was one in particular that had her stuff together; she sold fanart posters, and had a "catalogue" where you could look at thumbnails of all the work and tell her which one you wanted (my guess is that she either couldn't fit all of the posters on her display, or wanted to make it easier for browsing, which it totally did). She was also super friendly and helpful.

(PS evaldas, I stopped by your booth and bought some buttons!! they are beautiful! <3 my partner is totally jealous of the black and white octopus)

**edited for spelling mistakes**
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:21:29 pm by ScrumYummy »

Offline Jen-Jen

• Oni
    • Jen-Jen's dA
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:21:51 pm »
I had a great time in the Artist Alley!
This was my first time ever being apart of it, so it was pretty exciting. : D At first I felt a little bit intimidated by the amount of amazing artists in the alley, but more than anything they inspired me to want to improve my skills even more! Everyone was also really nice, and seemed to be having fun the whole time. c:
I'd love to be apart of it again next year, especially now that I have a better idea of what to expect. :>

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:22:46 pm »
Oh my gosh, this is totally late, but here goes.

I had a really great time in the alley, this year! I didn't actually mind the smaller size, as it seemed that you were able to fit in a good variety of artists and styles. It did get a little bit crowded at times, though I'm not sure that it's something that can really be helped, with the space issue. I liked the location, and got plenty of traffic there! Oh! And everyone was really friendly! It created a really great atmosphere.

The only real thing that I can think of that might be nice to have at the tables, are little trash cans or something of the sort. It's not a huge issue, but having them is pretty nice!

Thank you!!