Author Topic: food to take to con  (Read 2964 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
food to take to con
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:11 am »
I just went through my bank and I am not going to have much money to spend until the 15th of sept and I need money for gas and groceries after con so I am trying to think of things I can take to the con to feed myself. I'm staying at the hilton so I don't think they have fridges. Right now I have ramen, poptars, and some junk food. Can anyone else give me ideas of things to bring? I also have some slimfast that is supposed to be mixed with milk but it tastes alright with water, and some protine powder that I could take as well. I could also buy some meal bars.

Offline Ghost

• Cabbit
Re: food to take to con
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:46:49 am »
It’s not much in the way of providing nutrition but a cheap loaf of bread from a stores bakery should last all weekend as a snack.  Ripping off a chunk every now and then should help with hunger without costing a lot.  I plan to get a loaf of French bread and some Quaker oats bars to get me through the weekend since I won’t have much time to get something to eat.
Also, good luck in the Cosplay chess event.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:52 am »
My list o' goodies:
-oatmeal cream cookies
-sammiches
-nutragrain bars
-soda
-energy drink
-hope for local cheap resturaunts
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:51 am »
Peanut butter and jelly sammich?

I have an unopened jar of crunchy peanut butter you can have if you want?
my hubby got the wrong kind last time at store, and we blitz thru smooth, snail thru crunchy

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:42 am »
We always make a run to Uwajimaya before Con.  Our staples are:
POCKY!
Ramune
Pork Buns
Wasabi Nuts/Rice Crackers

Some rice balls are easy and cheap to make ahead of time (just so long as you get the sushi rice; it doesn't work with longer grains), and you can stuff them with all sorts of yummies.  We also bring Odwalla bars (small, quick, easy, and satisfying), honey roasted mixed nuts (protein lasts longer!), apple slices with crunchy peanut butter, and PBJs.  Anyone know of a good sushi place nearby (not good for sitting in a bag all day ;))?

Just be sure to strive for somewhat rounded nutrition.. otherwise you'll feel terrible and won't be able to effectively pull those all-nighters ;)  Good luck!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:14 pm »
Thanks Jaz but I'm not a huge fan of crunchy. I do have lots of peanut butter though.

so far I have lots and lots of ramen, poptarts, some meal bars, cookies, and beef jerky. One of the girls staying in my room will be bringing muffins and croissants as well as soda so I think we should be good.

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:51:42 pm »
I've recently really gotten into making bread so I may be bringing some homemade bread to the con ^_^

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:18:48 pm »
One of the best discoveries I've had is the instant mashed potato packets at my store(winco) for less than a buck, it's delicious and can be made with hot water from your rooms coffee maker
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:07 pm »
^ what he said. DUring the con I bring paper bowns and use the coffee pot to make the taters. MMMMMM YUMM!
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:23 pm »
What I did find out is that you can get a mini fridge for a fee every night. I think we are going to do that and I will take some milk and juice.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
^ what he said. DUring the con I bring paper bowns and use the coffee pot to make the taters. MMMMMM YUMM!
That is a great idea. I am taking a bowl since I already had the top ramen that doesn't come in a cup.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:32 pm »
What I did find out is that you can get a mini fridge for a fee every night. I think we are going to do that and I will take some milk and juice.

OOoooo how much?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:14 pm »
$10 a night.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 11:16:46 pm »

Make sure it's fresh milk - my experience with milk in mini fridges is a much shorter shelf life :(
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline YouLikeRice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:15 am »
Oh man. I really like Easy Mac and all you need is water and a microwave. I'm not too sure if you're keen on Easy Mac though. xD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:02 am »
Its good but 90% of the hotels don't have microwaves (Not just Kumoricon I mean about 90% in general)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:58 am »
We're not getting a mini-fridge, but what we have done in the past (this is so ghetto, lol) is fill the ice bucket with ice....and viola, chilled milk holder

We'll probably do that again this year, and use the coffee maker for hot water with ramen and insta-taters. This may be the most McGyver'd con weekend I've had yet.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!