Author Topic: Bento lunches and other Japanese food  (Read 3219 times)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Bento lunches and other Japanese food
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:02 am »
I dunno if anyone has started this one yet, but Id like to talk about it so ^-^ here it is

Some people call me a weeaboo (or however its spelled) because I have adopted the act of bringing my lunch to school and work in bento boxes. I am attempting to make real bento lunches this year for my boyfriend and I for the con. But I want to know about other peoples bento experiences and their love for japanese food and such.

Whats your favorite bento box you own?
Whats your favorite japanese dish? Food?

Have you made bento before? Care to share your pictures?

Lets just have a good ol food discussion!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Bento lunches and other Japanese food
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
I've not had experience with bento boxes or the like, but I love other forms of Japanese food. My wife and I tend to get sushi at least once every couple weeks, and we also like ramen, udon, yakisoba...and all the bread and great baked pastries and goods. People can call it weeaboo, but whatever...good food is good food. I love it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:24:28 am »
Couldn't find a picture, back when my hubby didn't come home for lunch (he works close enough so he can now)
every now and then I would make a bit extra so he could take a bento lunch the next day.

The boxes we use is this rectangular shape divided into 4 compartments, and is see thru and microwave safe, that we got at daisho in wash, not pretty so to speak, but the pretty ones tend not to be able to be nuked

My hubbys favorite bento has some combo of teriyaki steak, panko shrimp or chicken katsu, charsu pork, gyoza and rice.
I know sounds like a lot of food, but what I would do is make 1 persons serving of 3 things and dived them between 2 dinners and 1 lunch
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 06:59:55 pm »
I love the idea of bento boxes, I own several actually. But I don't know...it's not the same as eating a hot lunch. I get so frustrated when my rice gets all cool and chewy-like. I want to get one that retains heat but they are too expensive (ΘεΘ;)
But I lovelovelove looking at all the cute ways people decorate them and stuff!
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:49:07 am »
I know what you mean. When i first got into bento, i didnt understand how people could eat cold rice if they didnt have a microwave. But since it will be warm most of the weekend, i get to try my hand at some hot weather inspired bento. Most of them have cold fruit salads lol