Author Topic: Fan Creation Peeps RepreSENT!  (Read 15251 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Fan Creation Peeps RepreSENT!
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:51:23 am »
Come on, share your stories! Traumatized by the Bedtime Stories? Lured in by the contests? Came for the snacks and stayed for the art? Don't be shy, step right up!

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 02:01:19 am »
Don't take this too harshly, as it's about 2 am, and I'm still wired from the weekend...

But, frankly, I didn't give a damn.

I'm sure there were people at the con interested in fan fiction, fan art, and other such things...  and I'm sure those people found you.

I know you feel like you all got the short end of the stick, cause I heard you say it...  but really, not everyone is into it.  

So, nope.  Didn't catch it this year.  Not my cup of tea.  I'm sure that those who took part had a lovely time though.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 05:02:23 am »
Quote from: "valliegirl"
Don't take this too harshly, as it's about 2 am, and I'm still wired from the weekend...

But, frankly, I didn't give a damn.

I'm sure there were people at the con interested in fan fiction, fan art, and other such things...  and I'm sure those people found you.

I know you feel like you all got the short end of the stick, cause I heard you say it...  but really, not everyone is into it.  

So, nope.  Didn't catch it this year.  Not my cup of tea.  I'm sure that those who took part had a lovely time though.

Then that pretty much makes you posting in this topic an oxymoron, doesn't it?

So, please, go find another topic to randomly complain in, its obviously unwanted here.

:D

Unfortunatly, I couldn't make it to Kumoricon this year, I would have loved to attend Fanfic bedtime stories again, I heard from Ellen my FMA fic was well recieved.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 12:27:54 pm »
It was. You should have heard Michael read it. It was great.

And Valliegirl, I asked for people to share their experiences WITH it, not experiences WITHOUT it. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. There were things that weren't my cup of tea either, but do you see me invading threads about those things? Of course not.

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 02:53:10 pm »
Where was Fanfiction? I walked all over the hotel looking for it and never found it.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 03:20:57 pm »
I didn't get myself over to fanfiction this year, but then, I hardly spent any time at all in the gaming room, so obviously my interest in it wasn't the only factor.

However, I'm really wondering about something: since when did "fan creation" become synonymous with "fan fiction?" This year I was proud to be able to say that I'd begun "my first fan creation other than cosplay," and when I said that, I was referring to my new fan game project. :P
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Bow-

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 03:21:26 pm »
I think a lot of peeps missed the art show due to poor signage- they just couldn't find it.
I was across the aisle from the "entrance" to the art show, and I could barely read the sign from there. I was tempted to accost the thing with my multicolored higlighters, but the dark horse guy informed me that they were crap, and only the blue one worked. Ah well, that's what i get for buying dollar tree pens ;)

I, too, missed the fanfic. Would have loved to have heard the bed time stories. Maybe next year :)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 03:29:40 pm »
Quote from: "Bow-"
I think a lot of peeps missed the art show due to poor signage- they just couldn't find it.
I was across the aisle from the "entrance" to the art show, and I could barely read the sign from there. I was tempted to accost the thing with my multicolored higlighters, but the dark horse guy informed me that they were crap, and only the blue one worked. Ah well, that's what i get for buying dollar tree pens ;)

Hi Bow! My sister liked your onigiri keychain. ;) I was the guy who was recommending Azumanga Daiyoh to you; I was there with a friend named Rachel.

I heard a few comments about artist's alley's location... some of my friends said that they didn't get as much traffic, but being next to the dealers was nice because people were more likely to be carrying money on them, ready to shop for art stuff as well as the usual swag.

Did you get that impression? I actually had a small interest in artist alley's location, because pussinboots did me a favor and had some flyers for my fan game on his table.

And of course, I want my artist friends to do well...

Apollo Justice

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 03:34:24 pm »
Quote from: "Kei-Kei"
Where was Fanfiction? I walked all over the hotel looking for it and never found it.

Did you see the piano?  I was down the hall, through some doors to a orange-red colored hall, pass the table with the "Go" games being played and through two doors usually both open.
But yeah, the room for the fanfiction did seem kinda out of the way and hard to find.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 04:01:16 pm »
I think Fan Creation Station seemed to be advertised as only fanfiction a lot. At least I noticed that the most.

I also got some complaints (not by me, but by someone who wishes to be unknown) about the Fan Fiction Bedtime stories and that some of the people there were rather rude and arrogant.

Again I didn't go cause I had other things to do. So I'm just relaying a message (*don't kill the messanger*)

I thought the Fanart put up was great though ^-^'  I think maybe the Fan Creation station should highlight other aspects of fans other than just art and stories next time too. Maybe AMVs should be highlighted there too since AMVs are Fan Creations.
Sweet Times

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 05:02:35 pm »
Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
I think Fan Creation Station seemed to be advertised as only fanfiction a lot. At least I noticed that the most.

I think this was because it was mostly run by fanficcers and a few fanartists (with naturally a lot of crossover between the two), so they emphasized that part the most to their friends. Wasn't it also near the fanfiction area of the con? The Station might have been perfectly useful for non-fanficcers and non-fanartists, but I can't say, because I didn't make it over there. I managed to repair my costume with my own supplies this year, since I brought a glue gun and safety pins and spare materials.

Apollo Justice

Offline Bow-

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 08:04:34 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"

Hi Bow! My sister liked your onigiri keychain. ;) I was the guy who was recommending Azumanga Daiyoh to you; I was there with a friend named Rachel.

I heard a few comments about artist's alley's location... some of my friends said that they didn't get as much traffic, but being next to the dealers was nice because people were more likely to be carrying money on them, ready to shop for art stuff as well as the usual swag.

Did you get that impression? I actually had a small interest in artist alley's location, because pussinboots did me a favor and had some flyers for my fan game on his table.

And of course, I want my artist friends to do well...

Yay! I'm so glad she liked the onigiri :)
I, for one, loved being next to the merchants. I think that's the best way for artists alley to be, though a lot of people were confused when they rounded the corner. Maybe a sign for next time, letting them know that everything in that row was hand made. The only problem I had w/ location was that I was behind the Post From Hell there. Other wise, I think being behind the merchants was just fine.
I should not attempt to answer posts while reading subs..hope this is at least somewhat coherent ;)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 09:24:08 pm »
Mostly fanfiction? We had a lot more fanart than fanfiction action going on. Our fanart contest had almost 100 entries, compared to about...what, fifteen for our fanfics?

~Moon-Daisuke

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 04:42:58 pm »
Quote from: "sassy-lassy"

I also got some complaints (not by me, but by someone who wishes to be unknown) about the Fan Fiction Bedtime stories and that some of the people there were rather rude and arrogant.

Again I didn't go cause I had other things to do. So I'm just relaying a message (*don't kill the messanger*)

@ Sass-lassy - There is always someone unknown who wants to complain, you should let them speak for themselves...

@ Dustin - Your Story rocked....Hope's friend read it and did a marvelous job with his welsh accent.  GREAT JOB!

@ Hope - THANKS for the CD!   :D

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 04:43:10 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
Quote from: "Kei-Kei"

Did you see the piano?  I was down the hall, through some doors to a orange-red colored hall, pass the table with the "Go" games being played and through two doors usually both open.
But yeah, the room for the fanfiction did seem kinda out of the way and hard to find.

I didn't know they had a room over that way.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline ~Moon-Daisuki

• Oni
How was the last panel for fanfic?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 04:49:42 pm »
Hey Blackjack,  

How was that last panel?  Michi and I wanted to stay but couldn't...Very sorry because we were looking forward to helping you...My van went dead though... :oops: Once we got a jump we had to keep driving it...That's my luck.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 05:46:55 pm »
It was quite nice. We had a lot of spirited discussion.

And yeah, Kei-Kei, you're not alone. A lot of people, it seems, didn't know where the heck we were.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 07:55:36 pm »
Did Ellen ever show the manga submissions to anyone?  I don't mean the one-page 20 min. manga people did in the Manga Panel but the ones we had to turn in before the con.  I turned one in and was wondering if others read it.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 08:28:26 pm »
I didn't see them, but then she didn't show the fanfic submissions she had gotten to anyone else.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 01:55:55 am »
wow. if only this thread had existed before rant & rave. i hadn't realized just how many people really did not know where to find us, who wanted to.

of course, not everyone would want to. that's not a statement against us. i personally have zero interest in videogames, but i don't fault the con for offering them for those who do. sheesh!

not sure what sassy lassy's associate was referring to; i did not experience anyone at bedtime stories to be acting arrogant. however, please note that sassy lassy herself was very very helpful to the fan creation station; she stepped up to the plate and ran the dating sims workshop, when the originally scheduled host no-showed.

no, negima, i did not show your manga to anyone other than my partner, whom you met when you dropped it off at our house. i did not show anyone's manga to anyone, nor anyone's fic. not everyone wants their work shared. it tends to be my policy to provide opportunities, inside and outside the con, for folks to share their work with each other, but not share it on my own unless explicitly instructed to.

i think i remember you authorizing that it could be viewed during the manga workshop, negima. however, at that time, because professor and con special guest, dr. antonia levi, had not made it to her 5pm focus group, and i hadn't yet been told why; and because her yaoi zowie i think they're gay! workshop was the next event on our schedule after the manga workshop; and because we were expecting (and received) a standing-room only audience for that, but i didn't even know if its host was going to arrive for it;
i had to skip the manga workshop to try to track down the professor. then when i did, i had to track down for her a projector for her powerpoint presentation.

so i missed almost all of that event. sorry.

dustin: see! folks really liked your story!

frodo: i missed you! i liked both your ghost in the shell stand alone and your naruto tales. for folks who don't know, princess frodo, last year, in addition to running nighttime security, won at bedtime stories for best drama.

i will post a list of winners imminently. sorry; arlene had said she would, i thought, at closing ceremonies.

radien: at no time did we ever equate fan creation with fanfiction. in fact, the whole point of changing the name of our room from the beta station to the fan creation station was to emphasize that we were going to encompass more than fanfiction. also fan art, improv, cosplay, fandoms around particular types of gaming, and anything else anyone wanted. (how many other rooms specifically had advertised, before and during the con, that anyone could come grab open time/space and run their own event in the room?)

numbers clarification: about 85 pieces in the overarching art contest. about 20 pieces in the 2 improv-art contests. about 8 pieces in the 3 improv written fanfic contests. 11 in story story die (oral improv theatre). 11 total participants in fanfic theatre. several dozen stories in bedtime stories. 4 manga submitted. between 2 and 3 dozen stories entered in written fanfic overarching contest....more novella than previous years combined

great work, all!

too bad we were so isolated within the building...but at least the room was gorgeous and comfy and well equipped, and we could hear each other!

of note is that we were nowhere near
"the art show"
per se, and many folks also could not find them.

signage!!! walkby traffic!!
newspaper (etc) publicity before the con!!
all these things are needed and were lacking.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Bow-

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 07:12:51 am »
Signage, signage! I agree. The sign for the art show was written in plain ol ball point on a great big pad..could not be read from more then a few feet away. If no one else wants to do it, someone email me the night before AA sets up next year, and I will print out signs for everything. Just send me a list!

Offline Panda-kun

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 07:16:48 am »
I went there to draw...but some of the fanfic people scared me away with their conversations... :shock:
Please do not confuse me with Panda0_0, I'm not cool enough. : (

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 11:33:16 am »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
no, negima, i did not show your manga to anyone other than my partner, whom you met when you dropped it off at our house. i did not show anyone's manga to anyone, nor anyone's fic. not everyone wants their work shared. it tends to be my policy to provide opportunities, inside and outside the con, for folks to share their work with each other, but not share it on my own unless explicitly instructed to.

i think i remember you authorizing that it could be viewed during the manga workshop, negima. however, at that time, because professor and con special guest, dr. antonia levi, had not made it to her 5pm focus group, and i hadn't yet been told why; and because her yaoi zowie i think they're gay! workshop was the next event on our schedule after the manga workshop; and because we were expecting (and received) a standing-room only audience for that, but i didn't even know if its host was going to arrive for it;
i had to skip the manga workshop to try to track down the professor. then when i did, i had to track down for her a projector for her powerpoint presentation.

That's okay.  I was just curious since I wasn't there the entire time.  (I'm starting to wish I was there more after reading some of the things that happened.)
Personally, I am willing to showing my drawings as long as I finish them first.  I don't like to show unfinished work since I don't know how it will turn out in the end.  Since I had finished the manga I was willing to let others read it though.

By the way, if you're going to do this competition again next year, I'm willing to submit another manga for you to read.  ^_^  I had fun making it.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 01:15:29 pm »
Quote from: "Panda-kun"
I went there to draw...but some of the fanfic people scared me away with their conversations... :shock:

eek!!! oh no!! are you kidding? what kind of conversations?

did you know we actually had 2 rooms? one set up for events and the other was free as a quiet draw/write space most of the time when it wasn't in use for the focus group or fanfic theatre rehearsals (washington room)

i'm so sorry!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 01:17:05 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"

That's okay.  I was just curious since I wasn't there the entire time.  (I'm starting to wish I was there more after reading some of the things that happened.)
Personally, I am willing to showing my drawings as long as I finish them first.  I don't like to show unfinished work since I don't know how it will turn out in the end.  Since I had finished the manga I was willing to let others read it though.

By the way, if you're going to do this competition again next year, I'm willing to submit another manga for you to read.  ^_^  I had fun making it.

the manga contest and workshop will be much bigger next kcon, and, i will be hosting comparable contest and events at sakuracon as well

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 05:37:10 pm »
the manga contest and workshop will be much bigger next kcon, and, i will be hosting comparable contest and events at sakuracon as well

Hooray!  I'll definitely try to get something in for next Kcon  ^_^.  I don't know if I'll be up for SakuraCon but we'll see.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 10:04:39 pm »
Quote from: "Panda-kun"

eek!!! oh no!! are you kidding? what kind of conversations?

did you know we actually had 2 rooms? one set up for events and the other was free as a quiet draw/write space most of the time when it wasn't in use for the focus group or fanfic theatre rehearsals (washington room)

i'm so sorry!

Um, Ellen, we had a sign on the Washington room telling people to come to the Adams/Jefferson room.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 01:28:01 am »
I promise that next Kumoricon I will actually HAVE something, be it fic, art (I can't draw, though), SOMETHING... I won't just sit and enjoy everyone else's stuff! I mean it this time!

Eh, I think I said this last year too, though...

Anyway, once I finally found the place I friggin' loved it and spent all my downtime there. A nice quiet place with plenty of paper (lined and blank), pencils, and matzoh? How could I resist?! Besides, there was good music and people worth talking to.

I'm interested in hearing what 'scared people off', because I've noticed some things that just seem everyday to your average ficcer can scare the bejeebus out of any average otaku(?). I've done so on, er, multiple occasions...

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 06:18:32 pm »
I hope to have more signs for next year! I'm sorry about only making three. By the way, what did happen to my third? I think it went missing some time in the con. But, I'll also have a zillion little flyers to hand out to people at the con. MUWAHAHAHAHA! *coughs and goes to prepare things for next year and Sakura-Con '06*

Oh, BTW, I'm Michi, for those of you at the Fanfic 101 panel and Manga Panel. I was the one who saved poor Negima and came up with a random manga contest. I cosplayed as Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz on Saturday and Shuyin from Final Fantasy X2 on Sunday. I also ran around Monday handing out Leas and Yo-Yo's, telling people to come to the Fanfic 102 Panel at eleven. Sorry I wasn't there. Our car died, and once ~MoonDaisuki and I got a jump, we left.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 09:00:14 pm »
I saw two of the signs lying around after the con and I gave them to Ellen

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 11:37:28 am »
thanks for all the recent additions.
bj, the sign at washington was only up at certain times.
michi, yes bj gave me the signs...they're folded up somewhere in my house (had to be folded to fit in my car)
teh becca....thrilled you enjoyed it! looking forward to your submissions. feel free to volunteer!

love to all!

Offline rygoody

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 05:28:55 am »
*shivers at the thought of the yaoi horrors lurking deep in the mind of every fangirl fanfic writer*  :shock:

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 11:04:40 pm »
heh...we did host a standing room only guest speaker's presentation, "yaoi, zowie, i think they're gay!"