Author Topic: 2011 Cosplay Chess: Team Assignments  (Read 201071 times)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
Re: 2011 Cosplay Chess: Team Assignments
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »
It was hilarious...last year. This year it went waaaaay too far.

Thank you. For those who know AkiCon, it felt like it was close to that disaster, but not quite.

The last time I was in Kcon's chess, it was a lot funnier, more organized, and overall just /better/ (I think this was two years ago). I'm weary about participating in it again...I may just stick to SakuraCon's.

On another note, I thought Wheatley was adorable. =3 Although the game was so long that I could tell the people on stage were running out of witty banter to exchange...

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly happened at Akicon? As is probably apparent by now I really care about our chess game, and if I know what to avoid I'll be more than glad to help out.

^We tried to make the game go faster...but it was hard with me being an inexperienced master. It also takes forever and a day to make sure every piece gets used before getting annihilated.

I could tell you guys were doing your best though. I also know how hard it was for you since, from what I've been told anyway, chess is a big thing for you and this was definitely not what you're used to. You did get the witty banter down pretty well though.

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:15 pm »

^We tried to make the game go faster...but it was hard with me being an inexperienced master. It also takes forever and a day to make sure every piece gets used before getting annihilated.

I could tell you guys were doing your best though. I also know how hard it was for you since, from what I've been told anyway, chess is a big thing for you and this was definitely not what you're used to. You did get the witty banter down pretty well though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I absolutely love a good chess game, so it was really hard for me to back off at some points and completely re-write my natural programming for Chess while paying attention to what was happening and getting to move all the pieces while leaving nothing in reserve for defense. I want to be a Chess Master again next year if possible because I really did enjoy it. I hope I did well and you guys want me back.

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »
It was hilarious...last year. This year it went waaaaay too far.

Thank you. For those who know AkiCon, it felt like it was close to that disaster, but not quite.

The last time I was in Kcon's chess, it was a lot funnier, more organized, and overall just /better/ (I think this was two years ago). I'm weary about participating in it again...I may just stick to SakuraCon's.

On another note, I thought Wheatley was adorable. =3 Although the game was so long that I could tell the people on stage were running out of witty banter to exchange...

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly happened at Akicon? As is probably apparent by now I really care about our chess game, and if I know what to avoid I'll be more than glad to help out.

-A Solid Snake kept on shooting projectiles (Nerf I think) throughout the entire thing and it annoyed pieces/interrupted battles.
-The person who fought my friend (who was Ragna) stole her sword and hit my friend with it, injuring her and breaking the sword in half. I was a very furious Death the Kid.
-The chess board was really hard to see.
-There wasn't really a pre-meeting...it's was soooo disorganized. Chess people basically got pieces last-minute for the most part, and rules weren't discussed.

I must say though, my own battles were lots of fun...it was mostly me agonizing in-between battles or when others were fighting. I think some other props broke too because people didn't respect other people's things.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:18:20 pm by sk_chan »
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2011, 09:23:45 pm »
Yeah, I absolutely love a good chess game, so it was really hard for me to back off at some points and completely re-write my natural programming for Chess while paying attention to what was happening and getting to move all the pieces while leaving nothing in reserve for defense. I want to be a Chess Master again next year if possible because I really did enjoy it. I hope I did well and you guys want me back.

You did do well, especially since you were new to being a chess master and like you said having to re-write your brain. If you want to come back I'm sure most people would love to have you back. I'm actually thinking of throwing my hat into the chess master ring next year, so we might end up having to square off against each other :P

-A Solid Snake kept on shooting projectiles (Nerf I think) throughout the entire thing and it annoyed pieces/interrupted battles.
-The person who fought my friend (who was Ragna) stole her sword and hit my friend with it, injuring her and breaking the sword in half. I was a very furious Death the Kid.
-The chess board was really hard to see.
-There wasn't really a pre-meeting...it's was soooo disorganized. Chess people basically got pieces last-minute for the most part, and rules weren't discussed.

I must say though, my own battles were lots of fun...it was mostly me agonizing in-between battles or when others were fighting. I think some other props broke too because people didn't respect other people's things.

Oh wow, that is...just bad. I can feel your friend's pain, since in 2009 I got kneed in the stomach and nether regions(still don't know if it was on accident or on purpose) during a game of chess and couldn't really walk right for a while afterwards. If a costume or a prop ends up being damaged during one of our games though, you can be sure I'll do what I can to make sure the person who caused the damage at least makes it up to the other person somehow be it through paying for damages or helping to repair/remake whatever got damaged.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »
The cameras/screens were a new thing for us this year, so it was a bit of experimentation for us.  We are hoping to work out the kinks so it will be better next year... it can be hard to see the action if you are not close to the board, and we want everyone to be able to enjoy the event.

Yes, rules will need to be announce before the start of the game... the weapons for Mokona were cute, but excessive.  And the dance party on the mats at the end made for a very unhappy Programming Director >:(

The question/answer during the pre-meet is a time for people to discuss concerns regarding costumes/props/etc, and while you may think everyone should be aware, it can be forgotten in the heat of the moment (I believe the Black Mokona had an issue with her jewel piece, even after asking people to be aware of the issue.)

And I'm going to have to agree.. it felt a lot more unorganized this year.  Maybe it was because it was Monday, or because everyone was excited... but having to repeatedly ask people to quiet down and pay attention so we could get through it was a tad frustrating :(

There were a few hiccups, and we will hopefully fix those next year.  All in all, I think you all did a fantastic job, and it was a good game (even it was long  :P)  The chessmasters did as I asked, and went against their natural inclination to play a game where everyone participated, which is all I wanted.  Thanks guys, for taking the time to participate, and for all your great cosplays...  without all of you, we wouldn't have had a game at all.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2011, 09:39:26 pm »
I noticed the biggest difference from the last years to this year, was the audience...
This year it was a lot bigger, and especially with the cameras, it probably made people feel special and so wanted to show off, or get their chance in the spot light.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:01 pm »
I agree ^

I still suggest an addition panel/meet up for those in chess and Alts. And rules stated for the audience prior to the actual start of the game.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2011, 09:49:16 pm »
I feel that it should go unstated that audience people stay off the board... Too bad it can't...
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:09 pm »
Just add no crossing tape for that
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #209 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:48 pm »
Yeah, this year the audience decided that apparently the game just isn't going to be good unless they get involved themselves. We need to go over rules with the audience beforehand to make sure this year stays an exception rather than the norm. Maybe a Yojimbo or two to help make sure people who aren't supposed to be on the board stay off of it too.

@Jamiche I apologize for participating in the dance party. At first I imagined it was supposed to be just the winning team celebrating, but obviously that took a major turn away from that. I at least made sure I didn't have anything that would damage the board, but still what we did was wrong.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:23 pm »
.....as i imagine "do not cross crime scene tape" ah how perfect....
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2011, 09:53:54 pm »
Another thing that might have people paying more attention is if the chess masters themselves state the rules, just have a paper they are supposed to read rules off of or something.

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2011, 09:54:30 pm »
.....as i imagine "do not cross crime scene tape" ah how perfect....

^ We need a like button for this forum
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »
Another thing that might have people paying more attention is if the chess masters themselves state the rules, just have a paper they are supposed to read rules off of or something.
That makes a lot of sense! They were listening to you guys a lot, since you said funny things, so it'd hold their three second attention spans
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:51 pm »
And especially if you say stuff in character. It will make it entertaining and they will listen.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2011, 10:24:32 pm »
I agree with having the chess masters say the rules to the audience. I already have ideas for what I could say if I get chosen, since I'll most likely enter Soul or Ventus as a chess master next year.

Another thought I had would be have an entertainment announcer. I just pictured in my head having someone like the narrator from DBZ announcing the rules and adding in epic commentary to the end of each fight or right before each fight starts.

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:09 pm »
Better yet, cosplay the announcer and do it XD
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline linachan

• Sailor Scout
    • TMNT Demonic RPG
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2011, 11:47:07 pm »
Has anyone recorded the hole Cosplay Chess? if so where can I find the videos for it?

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2011, 12:31:55 am »
i agree with having the chess masters state the rules before the actual game, and the yojimbos guarding the board, cuz i don't want that to happen again with the crazy crowd. made me very very scared throughout the whole game. i kept hugging my keyblade close to me cuz i didn't know when they would come out!

and crime scene tape would be godly -w-

and cameras are the one thing that people think can help their egos. hence i tried to keep level headed on the board >.< although when terra was surrounded by those women i couldn't help it... i protect what is mine *growls* >->

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2011, 06:50:17 am »
(as my cats go crazy at 6:50 am....)
why not have the muppets anounce the rules i remember just about every one of their lame jokes <3 that is if they come again?
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:27 am »
I like that idea! What if they start a new position for cosplay chess with color commentators? Then they can read the rules and there will always be someone there!
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2011, 11:57:29 am »
^ I LOVE THAT! they should totally have that position >w>

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »
We kind of have had that. This is just the first anyone really noticed. Last year, we had a Kyon (Or maybe he was a gender-bent Haruhi. I couldn't exactly tell...) cosplayer announcing everything in character. If I recall, he introduced the chessmasters by character name and set out the rules and made the occasional banter with us about the game. If I further recall, there was a similar person for the cosplay chess match I watched two years ago.

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2011, 04:53:31 pm »
We kind of have had that. This is just the first anyone really noticed. Last year, we had a Kyon (Or maybe he was a gender-bent Haruhi. I couldn't exactly tell...) cosplayer announcing everything in character. If I recall, he introduced the chessmasters by character name and set out the rules and made the occasional banter with us about the game. If I further recall, there was a similar person for the cosplay chess match I watched two years ago.

I remember that from last year, but I don't really remember anyone from two years ago. Maybe that was part of the problem this year: instead of an announcer, we had comedians so people thought that things weren't as serious as they were in years past. Cause if my memory serves correctly the announcer from last year, while still making jokes, stayed mostly on the topic of chess and focused more on the action instead of the comedy.

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2011, 05:44:58 pm »

I remember that from last year, but I don't really remember anyone from two years ago. Maybe that was part of the problem this year: instead of an announcer, we had comedians so people thought that things weren't as serious as they were in years past. Cause if my memory serves correctly the announcer from last year, while still making jokes, stayed mostly on the topic of chess and focused more on the action instead of the comedy.

Yup. In many regards, he was like a sports announcer and not... Well, Statler and Waldorf. I believe he even tossed out some playful warnings to people who were pushing the rules which was helpful. If we could get the humor and continual interest of this year, and the organization of last year, I think we'd be back to a pretty good chess game.

Oh, as well, one other thing I remember very specifically from two years ago was that there an actual little bit of backstory for the chessmasters. The audience was told why they were facing each other and even left a consequence for the loser. (They had to don (of course) a miniskirt.) The loser held his word and that was hilarious. Perhaps if next year's chessmasters could work out something like this, we'd have a more tuned-in audience since there remains an ultimate result.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:47:56 pm by Shout »

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:24 pm »
Oh, as well, one other thing I remember very specifically from two years ago was that there an actual little bit of backstory for the chessmasters. The audience was told why they were facing each other and even left a consequence for the loser. (They had to don (of course) a miniskirt.) The loser held his word and that was hilarious. Perhaps if next year's chessmasters could work out something like this, we'd have a more tuned-in audience since there remains an ultimate result.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed that game. My one regret was that the miniskirt was too small for Roy. And that by the end of the match I was braindead and had to face a 2 person team for the 2nd game.
And I agree, having a story behind the match helps motivate both the players and keeps the audience's interest.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »
I think that what we need is the classic sports announce duo of a rules guy who can give helpful reminders to attendees and participants and a color commentator that keeps things amusing during the lulls. Heck, they could even do little joke advertisements for anime products or actual ads referencing Dark Horse or Funimation (or future sponsors).

I would really love to help with the show that way. Mario and Luigi would probably be a good duo for that if I could find a like minded Luigi.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2011, 06:26:39 pm »
I think that what we need is the classic sports announce duo of a rules guy who can give helpful reminders to attendees and participants and a color commentator that keeps things amusing during the lulls. Heck, they could even do little joke advertisements for anime products or actual ads referencing Dark Horse or Funimation (or future sponsors).

I would really love to help with the show that way. Mario and Luigi would probably be a good duo for that if I could find a like minded Luigi.

Maybe it's because I've been watching too much Soul Eater lately, but my first thought for a serious/comedy duo was Black Star and Tsubaki. There are a ton of different pairs like that in anime and video games though, so we should be able to find something fairly easily.

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »

Well, if it means anything, I'm going to be Bowser next year. It's not quite the famous duo, but as evidenced from this year, I'm certainly capable of being plucky and hilarious pitted against other people. Not to mention, I'd love to try just hosting and step away from my chessmastering spot for a year to let others take the helm.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »
People could submit pairs. They don't necessarily have to be the funniest pair, but if they had banter, it could work. They'd have to submit some examples, though.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »
Well, if it means anything, I'm going to be Bowser next year. It's not quite the famous duo, but as evidenced from this year, I'm certainly capable of being plucky and hilarious pitted against other people. Not to mention, I'd love to try just hosting and step away from my chessmastering spot for a year to let others take the helm.

I am always a fan of Bowser cosplay, it doesn't surprise me at all that you would have such discerning tastes. I would love to do commentary/hosting with you as Bowser. I think that it could work out really well for everyone. I'll need to pay attention to who gets put in charge of things next year. I was hoping to be Progamming staff, maybe that can be a portion of my duties.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2011, 07:32:23 pm »

I am always a fan of Bowser cosplay, it doesn't surprise me at all that you would have such discerning tastes. I would love to do commentary/hosting with you as Bowser. I think that it could work out really well for everyone. I'll need to pay attention to who gets put in charge of things next year. I was hoping to be Progamming staff, maybe that can be a portion of my duties.

Awesome. I'd be honored to do that, if you couldn't tell, I'm a huge fan. XD

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
Gosh, am I a dork on wanting to see Bowser and Ganondorf do commentary. Also them going on the random tangent of who is more evil?
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:52 am »
Gosh, am I a dork on wanting to see Bowser and Ganondorf do commentary. Also them going on the random tangent of who is more evil?

No, that'd be hilarious. XD

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2011, 01:14:25 pm »
That would be excellent.

I think that Ganondorf would do a good job knowing the names of the characters and interesting statistic while Bowser would make funny observations and non sequiters.

Ganondorf has red mutton chops in one version right?
Hmmmm...... Might have to invest in a real costume...
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »
Oh, on a technical note, I need to be able to give people credit when I reference them being moved about the board.

How accurate is the Page 1 list of names?
Participants, please let me know if you'd rather I use a screen name or a real name.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:53:38 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2011, 04:06:36 pm »
nickname for me would be nice (doe), i'm domenica molina. i just don't like my real name being used on the interwebs such as youtube >.<

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »
Oh, on a technical note, I need to be able to give people credit when I reference them being moved about the board.

Participants, please let me know if you'd rather I use a screen name or a real name.

Just go ahead and refer to me as Blizz or Blizzara, everyone else does.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »
Blizz=Hope and Doe=....Yuna?

Got it!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2011, 08:48:00 pm »
Blizz=Hope and Doe=....Yuna?

Got it!
doe was Aqua

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »
 ::) Figures.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2011, 08:59:14 pm »

Just call me Dark. It's also my YouTube name, so it works :)
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2011, 10:22:03 pm »
@tom: i was aqua ._. how can you not tell? lol *points to blue hair*

yuna has brown *facepalm* >.<

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2011, 04:04:08 pm »

you have Yuna in your sig. I can see how he got mixed up.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2011, 04:08:42 pm »
lol it says 2012 XD but yeah i suppose >3>

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »

you have Yuna in your sig. I can see how he got mixed up.

True, but also at the same time she has Aqua in her profile pic. Honestly it was a coin flip on that one lol.

@Tom You can also refer to chelseahavoc either by that or just Chelsea. She was the Vanille on the Video Game team.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »
So we have...
Hope = blizz
Vanille = chelsea
Aqua = doe
Undertaker = dark
Rikku = nikkiolie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:29:49 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2011, 08:20:35 pm »
I was the Undertaker
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »
I was the Gaara. You can list me as either nekovamp13 or Xander
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline rukavampireknight

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »
I was Ruka from vampire knight. Next year hopefully i will be cosplaying glaceon or leafon from Pokemon.