Author Topic: Kumoicon's website not too mobile friendly  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Randonarnold

• Sailor Scout
Kumoicon's website not too mobile friendly
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:45:51 pm »
 I'm visiting the site (and forums) on my android smartphone. I was wondering if there are any plans on releasing a mobile app or a mobile friendly site for the website?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: Kumoicon's website not too mobile friendly
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »
What specifically is not working in the Android browser? We are not aware of any problems, and test it in the five major desktop browsers as well as iOS, and I believe some users have reported no problems in Android as well. We're not going to make a stripped-down, specifically "mobile" version of the whole site that has a tenth of the functionality (but has pretty touch animations). We'll fix bugs that affect current major mobile browsers if they are based on a leading, up-to-date codebase.

Regarding the schedule, we do have a version of the schedule that is intended to work well on mobile devices. The URL is:

http://www.kumoricon.org/schedule/

Please note, as of this posting, it is last year's schedule. We also plan to use the Guidebook (a.k.a. Conventionist) app to hold the schedule, available for iOS and Android, which will be released right before the con.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:25:41 pm »
LOVE guidebook. It was so convenient during Sakuracon and I think that is a FANTASTIC idea.

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »
I keep hearing people say that they have issues accessing the forums from their mobile phones, but I have to say I've never had this problem, and I'm posting from an Android also..... maybe it's bad wireless connections? Or possibly people are trying to connect in areas that aren't 3G covered? Both those could make navigating the site difficult.
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:28 pm »
Random odd fact. I have a non-smart phone, a very cheap one. When I used to get my notifications via yahoo, I could click on links therein and log in or already automatically be logged in to the KC forums. Now that I'm subscribed via Gmail, though, I can read the content of PMs & replies to threads, but I can't get to the website from there, or at times I can click a link that shows me the exact post that was in my email, but I can't see the rest of the thread, let alone the site, and can't reply nor log in. Odd, eh?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:43:58 am »
A couple weeks ago (see above) I posted that we would not have a mobile-specific website for everything (except perhaps for certain things, like the schedule).

This decision is now being reconsidered. This doesn't mean we will get one right away, but having a mobile-enhanced site is now being considered again. :)
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Squall

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »
The whole of the Kumoricon website is working absolutely fine on my Atrix using the regular Android browser.
Brian, formerly of BakaZoku

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:31:14 pm »
i dont even have a smartphone and the site works for me on my phone. cept that i cant see links or videos or pictures or avatars or timestamps but i can see the posts which is fine