Author Topic: Cosplayers Unite!  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
Cosplayers Unite!
« on: May 21, 2004, 12:02:41 am »
Hey, I'm interested in who's going to be there!  I'd like to form a masquerade/cosplay group, but I don't know what all shows are going to be there, so I don't know what costumes are going to be needed! ^_^  

I'm all there for Inu Yasha.  Cosplay Kikyo, Crossplay Inu Yasha.  

But what are you guys coming as?  Anything special?  Can I play too?  

*begs*

-ko

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 03:51:30 am »
I cant speak for myself (mainly due to being unemployed so i cant afford a great cosplay at th emoment) BUT at sakura-con i was drafted for the light warriors which was an insane group of Final; Fantasy charactors.  we saw atleast 10 vash the stampede's, a few wolfwoods, inu-yasha was a popular one indeed.  so who knows.

The three cosplayers I remember best from sakura was milly thompson, edward eleric, and my personal fav the black magician girl from yugioh (that girls costume was AWSOME!)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 09:19:59 pm »
Well, I'm thinking of bringing two costumes; Seta from Love Hina (so few people go in costume from the series) and possibly Miroku from Inuyasha.  I still need to make a Miroku costume though.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 03:17:45 am »
That's funny, we drafter Light Warriors for our cosplay at last year's Kumoricon!

I'm probably going to be Edgar Figaro from FF6 and at least one other character, maybe somebody from Inu Yasha. I hafta see how my budget goes.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Love Hina!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 10:59:11 am »
I totally forgot about that!!! What a good idea-- I'll check out and see if there's another costume in there that I could snag. ^_^

A Miroku costume'd be simple-- Well, I'd guess.....Check out the www.cosplay.com for infos as how to make it. It's got links to just about everything. Including how to make Geta shoes!! *holds them up with pride*

Anyways, how exciting! I can't wait to see all the wonderful costumes!

-ko

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 05:04:50 pm »
Wow.  Thanks for the advice Ruriko.  I'll be sure to check out the website. I'll need all the help I can get.

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 12:49:33 pm »
Did you find what you needed?

As always, I'm more than willing to barter something in return for small things with the costume!!  Miroku beads'd be fun to make.  

I've become super recently obsessed with the whole Cosplay ordeal....I havn't finished my costume yet....oh, but I'm loving the work.  ^_^

Question though-- is it better to play a popular character, or one that is not as well known?  Example, I know Chii and Inu Yasha and some FF chars. are super overplayed, but does that make them any better or any worse than Chars from Wolfs' Rain and Witch Hunter Robin who aren't as well known yet?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:13:37 pm »
Actually, when I checked out the site, for some reason I kept getting "Can not find site."  I'll take a look sometime later.  As for the beads, I'm going to give it a try first.  I can already think of a nice bead shop nearby.
As for the popular vs. unknown question, it's hard to say.  Sometimes when there are a lot of one character, they kinda blend in and don't stand out as much.  Maybe wearing certain outfits (the many versions of Chii) would help a little.  If you were to pick a non-main character from a popular series, chances are you're not going to find very many of them and stand out more (like if you picked Plum).
If this didn't make any sense, ignore it.  I only got 5 hours of sleep last night. @_@

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 09:45:11 am »
The black magician girl from yugioh (that girls costume was AWSOME!)

Unless she sits right in front of you at the AMVs, however she did later move away from her friend she was sitting with so others could see. That was nice.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 09:07:16 pm »
The site didn't work?  *pout*  Strange.  Maybe it was down for a smidgen of repairs.

Is the bead shoppe in Portland?  If so, care to share?  I'm always out for a new place to pick up supplies.  ^__^  The only one that I know of is up here in Kelso, and I'm so new to Portland that I discovered Todai's yesterday and felt super accomplished. . .*blush*

-ko

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 12:37:55 pm »
Okay, the site is working again.  I was having some problems getting pictures the first time but it looks like everything is fine now.
As for the bead shop, no, it's not in Portland.  It's in Eugene.
This just came to mind suddenly.  Since you're new to Portland, I will tell you something that you may like.  If you go to Beaverton (about 5 minutes west of Portland by Portland) there's a Japanese Supermarket and Bookstore.  It's pretty close to Jesuit High school I believe.  The Supermarket is called Uwajimaya Plaza and the Bookstore is called Kinokuniya.  It's my little home-away-from-home.  Anyway, the address is...
10500 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy.
Beaverton, OR 97005
Tel: (503) 641-6240
Enjoy ^_^

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 08:22:26 am »
Oooo....very sweet of you Negima!!!  Appreciated!  *jots address down*  I'll do my best to try and find it.....Can I get to it on the MAX?  Driving downtown scares the crap out of me....*hides*

I generally park at the Lloyd Center and get around from there.  Hrumpf.  ^_^  *pulls out her map and starts to look around*

Thanks for the heads up tho, appreciated!!

-ko

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 09:35:01 am »
I don't think you can get there by MAX.  I don't remember ever seeing any tracks nearby.  And depending on which way you drive, I think you can avoid downtown.  This may be a question to ask a Portlandian or to check a map site like Mapquest or so.
BTW, the edit something from my last post, I went to say "about 5 minutes west of Portland by car."

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 03:21:18 pm »
If you go to the 'Ask the Portland Otaku' thread, there's a bus that goes from downtown right to Uwajimaya.  The 56 I think.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 04:12:42 pm »
Quote from: "QEvil"
If you go to the 'Ask the Portland Otaku' thread, there's a bus that goes from downtown right to Uwajimaya.  The 56 I think.

Oh, well... there you go then.  Thank you QEvil.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 06:14:07 pm »
Yeah, the #54 bus goes from by the Marriott to Uwajimaya. You can also get to Uwajimaya by driving down I5, getting off at the Terwilliger Exit and following Bertha Blvd. That takes you to Beaverton Hillsdale Highway which you can follow all the way down to Uwajimaya, its across from the Burger King. If you get to 217 you've gone to far.
(217 is your best bet if you come from South of Portland)

Oh, and as far as the Inu Yasha cosplay, my friend Hollie is puting together her Inu Yasha costume right now so if you went as Kikyo she'd be sure to appreciate it. See the Inu Yasha Cosplay thread, coming soon.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Ryuichi

• Oni
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 06:22:22 pm »
Omigod! Thank you, Tom! I was wondering how I was going to get there~! Now, it'll just be one bus transfer away from where I live! YAY!

I'm supposed to be part of a Gravitation cosplay group next year... ^^; Any Gravi fans here?
"Pika pika, Shuuichi. Pika pika todoku no da."
- Sakuma Ryuuichi; Gravitation ep13

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 08:28:59 pm »
Caught the Inu Cosplay thread. ^_^  

Kikyo is my first choice, but I think I want to try crossplay this year.  Of course, it prolly wouldn't be for like, a masquerade or wot, but anyways.  ^_^

So yes, Kikyo!  And thank you for the directions to the shoppe!  I havn't been around in this town for long enough to know where hardly anything is, besides the MAX and.....Basically the MAX.....>_<

-ko

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 03:27:03 pm »
It's OK, I think I've given out the directions to Uwajimaya about 100 times so far. It's something that everyone at the convention needs to know.

Maybe I should do a panel on Uwajimaya!
*snicker*
Ahhh... that'd be great! Talk to a bunch of people about it for five minutes and then play tourguide as we go there on the bus....
"Boys and girls, say hello to Mister Live Crab!"
"Hello!"
 :lol:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Re: Love Hina!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 12:21:03 pm »
Quote from: "Ruriko"
I totally forgot about that!!! What a good idea-- I'll check out and see if there's another costume in there that I could snag. ^_^

A Miroku costume'd be simple-- Well, I'd guess.....Check out the www.cosplay.com for infos as how to make it. It's got links to just about everything. Including how to make Geta shoes!! *holds them up with pride*

Anyways, how exciting! I can't wait to see all the wonderful costumes!

-ko

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 02:33:48 pm »
I'm planning on going as demon exterminator Sango (complete with Kirara plushie XD ), so I'm all for hanging out with other Inu Yasha cosplayers ^_^ ! Also, I'm from Portland although not downtown Portland, so if anyone has questions or wants to hook up before the con to plan things then lemme know!
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2004, 09:04:52 pm »
I can't wait to see all these cool costumes. ^^  

I'm from out of town, and it'd be wonderful to have some place to hook up before the con, or maybe even hook up a few days before the con with some of the cosplayers and terrorize the city.  Mwah..*coughcough*..haha.  O_o

^__^  I added you to my MSN thinger, Luana Neko.....Hope is ok?

Anybody who wants to feel free to add me...I love meeting peoples. ^_^

-ko

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2004, 10:15:55 am »
No prob, I love talking to people ^_^ ! I'm online pretty sporadically during the summer, but feel free to poke me if I'm on!
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Spork

• Sailor Scout
    • http://8bitoctop.us
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2004, 07:39:17 am »
I'm going to be Rock Lee (you probably have seen me at sakuracon or on the interweb... X_X) on the first day, then Roy Mustang, then Roronoa Zoro. :B  I look foreward to seeing other people's cosplay!
NO WEENIES!
"Go Going Merry, you're rippin up the Grand Line!"
"FRIED CHICKEN!!"

KumoriCon attendee since '03

Offline Rae

• Oni
    • http://
Cosplayers Unite!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2004, 05:43:31 pm »
Spork, your really going as Rock Lee?!? Thats like so awsome~!!! because like yesterday we were talking about one of us cosplaying as him on Halloween!! heehee anyway .....

If any one wanted to know, I was planning on going as Ritsuka (Loveless) or Omi (Weiss) ^_^;;