Author Topic: Sales Tax?  (Read 8893 times)

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
Sales Tax?
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »
So I live in Portland and went up to Sakuracon this year for the first time. The dealer's room was AMAZING, but I totally forgot about sales tax and many dealers refused to not charge me that, even though I'm an Oregonian (Two dealers didn't charge me, they had the tax form thing to fill out).

Since Kumoricon this year is in Vancouver, I'm a tad concerned, although not as concerned, since I figure most dealers will be a little more local (and not as many dealers I'd imagine, although I've only gone to Kumoricon twice, both downtown Portland).

So, thoughts on sales tax? Are the Oregonians going to get out of it?

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
Re: Sales Tax?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:08:39 pm »
I imagine in some places (like local stores/restaurants) if you say you're an Oregonian they won't charge you. Idk if any vendors will do that; at Sakuracon I got confused about tax too since some places had it, others didn't, and I had no clue how much I was paying for anything.

I'm actually wondering if they'll waive the tax on the hotel for Oregonians.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:39:42 pm »
Fleur, I don't know if it matter in Washington, but don't forget that Oregon has a hotel tax. Took me by surprise once, and I never forgot that. It's worth a shot asking, too.

For me, the Dealer's Hall at Sakuracon never did sales tax from what I remember. I did manage to get away with not having Sales tax at a couple of places by flashing my Oregon driver's license.

I say try it if you come across it! Don't be shy. Just polite :) Some places will opt you out, but I really don't think they're required to.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:44:58 pm »
Herp derp just ignore me lol. I've never gotten a hotel room by myself before hahaha. But I guess that kind of makes sense because there's such a high property tax, they don't want people to get away from it?
So now I'm wondering if there's even a tax on hotels in Vancouver...
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:51:36 pm »
Judging from this chart: http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Pubs/ExciseTax/FilTaxReturn/MajorTaxes.htm

Yes, yes there is a hotel tax in Washington State. It's called the "transient tax" or close to.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:23 am »
I believe that every state has a hotel tax, whether or not that state has a tax to it or not.  As for the Dealer's Hall, if any of them do charge sales tax, (from what I understand) they legally HAVE to remove the tax for Oregonians (unless they're selling prepared foods, like burgers, or something ;D).  You Oregonians should be fine, whether we Washingtonians are or not.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »
From what I remember last time Kumoricon was in Vancouver, I don't think many/any of the dealers charged sales tax. >.> Could be wrong though.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:10 pm »
I don't know about LEGALLY required to... its one of those things that's becoming less and less known to Washintonians and the business owners. Vancouver is still pretty good about it.

As long as the Exhibitor themselves is diligent and has brought the forms required to ensure that, since you are an Oregonian you do not need to be charged, I am sure things will go smoothly for you... just double check though, and plan worst case scenario that, due to being a small operation, some of the vendors may not provide the service. I'll try and talk to our Exhib Manager or her Director about getting the word out on the issue to our Exhibitors, so they can prepare.

I think though, it is up to the vendor themselves how they handle it, and some places further north don't even recognize the concept!

As for Hotels, there is a tax, I believe it totals out to about 12.5% or maybe 10% of your bill. The wont remove any state taxes for sale or otherwise from the bill since it is a service not a good (and not a non-perishable good either). But I think the taxes are still less than Portland's tourism taxes.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:11 pm »
The places further North probably don't because they're further from the state.  I do know that for purchasing non-food objects, like furniture or electronics, they do legally have to; it's a state-wide policy.  I looked into it a few years ago after discussing something interesting with a friend who used to live in Oregon.  From what I found out, anything that is meant for your home, or can be prepared at your home, is to not be taxed.  Plushies are free, tacos and burritos are not.  (I hated having to explain that to Oregonians that came through the drive-thru...).

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:06 pm »
I remember me and my mom went to a Salvation Army in Vancouver and when we told them we were from Oregon they said they could not include the Tax but we turned it down. I feel alright paying tax since it helps out the city
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:12:00 pm »
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.08.0273
Section 1 states that taxes do not apply to nonresidents, when the item is to be primarily used out of state. However it is section 4 that I think is most relevant.

(4)(a) Nothing in this section requires the vendor to make tax exempt retail sales to nonresidents. A vendor may choose to make sales to nonresidents, collect the sales tax, and remit the amount of sales tax collected to the state as otherwise provided by law. If the vendor chooses to make a sale to a nonresident without collecting the sales tax, the vendor must examine the purchaser's proof of nonresidence, determine whether the proof is acceptable under subsection (3)(b) of this section, and maintain records for each nontaxable sale which shall show the type of proof accepted, including any identification numbers where appropriate, and the expiration date, if any.
If vendors choose to go through the hassle of filing two separate tax forms for there taxed and non-taxed sales, then be grateful. I could not find exactly how to file for exempt sales so I don't know how many vendors would figure it out.
And how much of a pain in the rear it would be for them.

It may be something worth looking into for next year to help educate the vendors on there ability to give tax exempt sales. However, Kumoricon is not a legal practice {nore I}, they don't do tax laws, and probably aren't allowed to advise anyone else on how to do taxes. /stupid-idea

I know a 8.2% tax is annoying for people used to a 0% sales tax {myself included} but it's not to much.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »
When I filed for a Washington business licence, I was told that I had to charge sales tax. I told them that I've sold in Washington before as well as bought at conventions and tax was never involved, and they told me "it should be".

It seems needlessly obtuse, but that's what they said. (I also told them that I never had to have a business licence before and they said I should have been required to have one at my previous events. How odd).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »
I know a 8.2% tax is annoying for people used to a 0% sales tax {myself included} but it's not to much.

Agreed; I also use a similar structured argument with getting people to accept increasing taxes for the sake of schools.  (Cheap jerks... >:()

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »

Agreed; I also use a similar structured argument with getting people to accept increasing taxes for the sake of schools.  (Cheap jerks... >:()
I know what you mean. I got really upset when they weren't going to fix the PPS buildings to safety standers mostly because people didn't want to pay more. My school and home are on other sides of the river, and my school isn't earthquake safe, so if somethings happens my parents are left to worry about me or attempt to swim across the river.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »

I know what you mean. I got really upset when they weren't going to fix the PPS buildings to safety standers mostly because people didn't want to pay more. My school and home are on other sides of the river, and my school isn't earthquake safe, so if somethings happens my parents are left to worry about me or attempt to swim across the river.

I hear ya on that.  One of the things that got my school district to finally win some more tax money was that one of the middle school buildings had enough mold problems that it was facing being shut down by the state.  What's funny (and sad) is that the middle school was the last one to benefit from the many tax increase approvals.  (But it's happened!  YAY!!!)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 05:15:15 am »
Last time we were in Vancouver- I remember some vendors did and some did not. Some even had signs saying "Show Oregon ID!" "Oregon Price = X and Washington Price = X" I even remember a couple using it as a gimmick, "No sales tax here!!"

One vendor seemed to get pissy with me when I pulled out my Oregon I.D... like I was taking money away from them.... when their booth offered it anyway. I never got turned down for not paying sales tax myself, but my friend said a couple refused when she tried shopping there.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 05:30:28 pm »
If that's the case, then I think you can file some paperwork to have your "tax" returned to you, assuming that you find it to be worth the time and effort.  (I believe it can also effect the seller's tax return if you do it timely enough).  I'm honestly going off of something I read a few years ago, so I can believe that I could be remembering things wrong; I think this is close to the case, though.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 10:47:41 pm »
I sure hope so, since they didn't even give me that option when I got my business licence.

Offline yelloweyedowl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
I wasn't as Kumoricon last time it was in Vancouver, but I was in Washington for a year at school and all I had to do was show my driver's licence at a store to get them to wave the tax. Not sure if it'll work that smoothly in the dealer's hall, but it's good news if anyone does any shopping outside the con while there.

Offline Witchaven

• Cabbit
    • Sean's Anime & Other Things
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:39 am »
Saw this thread, and figured I'd give some info.
First off, a link directly to the Washington State Department of Revenue's information regarding Tax Exemptions.
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/Nonresidents/default.aspx

A few things that need to be pointed out here.
First off, it does say directly that sellers are not required to offer Tax Exemptions, and have requirements for those who do.
As a Dealer, I can understand why many of us do not offer the Tax Exemptions. At a Convention, those of us behind the Dealers tables are usually swamped, trying to help everyone as quickly and efficiently as we can, so taking the extra time to document your ID information (including the ID Number, expiration dates, the purchaser’s name, and the purchaser's state of residency.)
Last time Kumoricon was in Vancouver, I went ahead and just paid the sales tax instead of dealing with the nightmare of trying to document the about 90% Oregon IDs, and dealing with the Washington residents who would end up paying more.
Sean Kemp
Owner, Sean's Anime & Other Things

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 06:54:02 am »
Washington State Department of Revenue

THAT'S who I was thinking about!  Boy, do I feel silly...

This helps a lot, Witchaven.  Thanks!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 03:50:23 am »
last time we were in Vancouver I recall no booths would let me get out of the tax even if I flashed my ID.
I was told a rather condescending "I dont care if your from Oregon your in Washington now you snot" by a booth girl... unpleasant memories of that booth. But it's unlikely that you'll be free of the tax unless things have changed since then.

At least, that's judging from my experience.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline gw82

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:34 am »
they do charge sales tax , i talked to someone who runs a booth and they told me they have to fallow the rules of the state there in.  so tax in Washington  so tax in the hall
Heero Yuy
                The One and Only

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »
^ But that's what confuses me.  There's plenty of places that have no tax for Oregonians up here.

This reminds me of something...

I think that you Oregonians should have to pay sales tax IF Washington citizens have to pay Oregon taxes if they work in Oregon.  Also, if Washingtonians have to pay 5 cents for a bottle of soda or water, then you guys should have to pay the sales taxes, too.

Offline Witchaven

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »
I have called and talked with the Washington State Department of Revenue regarding specifically this situation, a normally Oregon Convention being in Washington this year, and asked about the most efficient way to give Oregon Tax Exemptions... I was told to have them fill out a form with their I.D. Number, Name and Address. This has to be done for EVERY Exempt order...
What this means is, if you want tax exempt, I need to have premade forms for you to take the time to fill out. This of course would add to the amount of time each transaction will take.
According to the DOR website, the tax rate at the Convention is 8.2% (6.5% State, 1.7% City.)
Something I am considering doing (still not sure if I will do this or not) is allowing Oregon Residents to fill out a form and get Tax Exempt off orders that are larger then a certain amount. This way transactions aren't bogged down because someone wants to save $0.41 off a $5 item, and has the benefit of maybe convincing some people to spend a little more (I can't complain about that.)
Another idea was possibly increasing my prices to reflect taxes being included and offer a discount if Oregon Residents fill out a form to include I.D. This way there isn't the normal shock of "Oh yeah, forgot about Taxes" that I often see.
Any opinions on these ideas, or suggestions on any other way to offer Tax Exemptions to Oregon Residents?
Sean Kemp

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 05:17:51 pm »
^ But that's what confuses me.  There's plenty of places that have no tax for Oregonians up here.

I think that you Oregonians should have to pay sales tax IF Washington citizens have to pay Oregon taxes if they work in Oregon.  Also, if Washingtonians have to pay 5 cents for a bottle of soda or water, then you guys should have to pay the sales taxes, too.

We may not have Sales Tax here in Oregon but the state makes up for it with the higher than average Income and Property taxes also Oregonians do pay Washington taxes if we work in Washington (with our own).

I'm not trying to start an argument with you or anything, just wanted to let you know what we have here.

P.S. Nothing is stopping you from recycling your bottles and cans here to get your money back for your deposit.  ;D

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »
I have called and talked with the Washington State Department of Revenue regarding specifically this situation, a normally Oregon Convention being in Washington this year, and asked about the most efficient way to give Oregon Tax Exemptions... I was told to have them fill out a form with their I.D. Number, Name and Address. This has to be done for EVERY Exempt order...
What this means is, if you want tax exempt, I need to have premade forms for you to take the time to fill out. This of course would add to the amount of time each transaction will take.
According to the DOR website, the tax rate at the Convention is 8.2% (6.5% State, 1.7% City.)
Something I am considering doing (still not sure if I will do this or not) is allowing Oregon Residents to fill out a form and get Tax Exempt off orders that are larger then a certain amount. This way transactions aren't bogged down because someone wants to save $0.41 off a $5 item, and has the benefit of maybe convincing some people to spend a little more (I can't complain about that.)
Another idea was possibly increasing my prices to reflect taxes being included and offer a discount if Oregon Residents fill out a form to include I.D. This way there isn't the normal shock of "Oh yeah, forgot about Taxes" that I often see.
Any opinions on these ideas, or suggestions on any other way to offer Tax Exemptions to Oregon Residents?

I'll fill out a form every time I buy something, even if it is for 50 cents :D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:19 pm »

Basically anything you do that isn't too inconvenient for your business, and still saves OR peeps money is much appreciated , and I thank you as a future customer for looking into it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:05:55 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Witchaven

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »
The only issue with that Nerdtastic is that your basically holding up all the other fans who want to buy something just so you can save the 4 cents you'd be paying on taxes for something like that. Not only that, but your using a form that cost me 5 cents to get made. :(
Also, something else to consider is you will have to have an I.D. Legally, if you don't have an I.D. to present and we aren't able to make a record of it, then we have to charge sales tax. If you forget your I.D., don't have a pocket to carry it around in, or don't have a legally accepted I.D., then we are supposed to charge you sales tax.
Sean Kemp

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:33 pm »
The only issue with that Nerdtastic is that your basically holding up all the other fans who want to buy something just so you can save the 4 cents you'd be paying on taxes for something like that. Not only that, but your using a form that cost me 5 cents to get made. :(
Also, something else to consider is you will have to have an I.D. Legally, if you don't have an I.D. to present and we aren't able to make a record of it, then we have to charge sales tax. If you forget your I.D., don't have a pocket to carry it around in, or don't have a legally accepted I.D., then we are supposed to charge you sales tax.

Well, if it's something cheap and rare that I can't get in Oregon, then I'll probably pay the tax. Up in Sakuracon I paid sales tax ONE time, didn't pay about 5-6 times and refused to buy from about 5 dealers that charged it. I'm just weird like that I suppose.

There's no way I'd buy a manga or DVD if sales tax was charged on it, I just wouldn't.

If it was something I really wanted and was under 10 bucks, then yeah, I probably would, but I'd much prefer to fill out a form. "Slowing down" a giant line of people waiting to buy things from your store probably not very realistic, but neither is me hoping everyone has the tax forms! :)

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 11:17:01 pm »
If con is going to be in Washington again KCon should supply a PDF of the tax deductible sheets.
Con Goers should be allowed to pre-fill out these papers and have them on their person when they go to the DH. Then the Dealers would just need to check the information against ID, fill in anything missing, and then it's done. No long lines, no angry con members, and no taxes for OR residents.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Ghost

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:38 pm »
Would this be the appropriate form to fill out for buying stuff at Kumoricon?
http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Forms/ExcsTx/ExmptFrm/BuyersRetailTxExmptCert_E.pdf
If it is then that link would allow people to print a few off beforehand and carry a filled out one with them when they go to buy something.

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 11:52:31 pm »
Just a slight note before people go crazy of this option. Even if you have the form, there is no obligation for the vendor to accept them. Allowing for tax exemption has been and always will be up to the vendor themselves.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »
^ A very good point... I'd probably accept them myself, if I was a vendor, but only if the customer was nice. ;D

the tax rate at the Convention is 8.2% (6.5% State, 1.7% City.)

That is the rate for most cities in Clark County.  I believe that Washougal, Battle Ground, and Ridgefield are the only exceptions.

We may not have Sales Tax here in Oregon but the state makes up for it with the higher than average Income and Property taxes also Oregonians do pay Washington taxes if we work in Washington (with our own).

I'm not trying to start an argument with you or anything, just wanted to let you know what we have here.

P.S. Nothing is stopping you from recycling your bottles and cans here to get your money back for your deposit.  ;D

All of this I'm aware of, so I don't see it as an argument.  I do, however, see this as reasons why Oregonians should stop moaning and complaining about sales tax, except in the cases where you're getting something that requires most money and you can get easily down in Oregon.  On a related note, the tax down here is a little bit less than it is in the Seattle area.  From what I recall, different cities in that area are either 8.8% or 8.9%.  It might be different now; this was 3.5 years ago that I'm getting these figures from...

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »
All of this I'm aware of, so I don't see it as an argument.  I do, however, see this as reasons why Oregonians should stop moaning and complaining about sales tax, except in the cases where you're getting something that requires most money and you can get easily down in Oregon.  On a related note, the tax down here is a little bit less than it is in the Seattle area.  From what I recall, different cities in that area are either 8.8% or 8.9%.  It might be different now; this was 3.5 years ago that I'm getting these figures from...

10%, at least in some areas... yes, seriously.

Personally I'd much rather have a graduated income tax, but that would be an argument for the politics thread.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Witchaven

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 06:46:17 pm »
Would this be the appropriate form to fill out for buying stuff at Kumoricon?
http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Forms/ExcsTx/ExmptFrm/BuyersRetailTxExmptCert_E.pdf
If it is then that link would allow people to print a few off beforehand and carry a filled out one with them when they go to buy something.

This is the form the DoR supplies, but they also allow us to make our own form as long as it collects the correct information.
I have a much smaller form I will be using at my booth, but depending on how busy it is I may restrict it to purchases over a certain amount (most likely $10.)
Sean Kemp

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:47 am »
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.08.0273

About midway down it states that it is at a vendors discretion as to whether or not to allow an Oregon resident to be exempt.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 04:22:47 am »
Only one vendor in the hall charged me sales tax, so poopy on you!! >,< Even the Asian lady who owned that store next to Subway who was selling some anime merchandise didn't even charge me tax!!

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:59 pm »
Only one vendor in the hall charged me sales tax, so poopy on you!! >,< Even the Asian lady who owned that store next to Subway who was selling some anime merchandise didn't even charge me tax!!

The lady who owned that store was selling fake products. I was deeply disappointed that anybody would give her business...
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »

The lady who owned that store was selling fake products. I was deeply disappointed that anybody would give her business...

Maybe she didn't know?

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 12:45:05 am »
i know I made a very firm point to inform her, she told me she would have the products removed and checked, I cam back several hours later she had changed nothing. I asked her if she knew that she was selling fake pokemon cards she said no and she'd get rid of them.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 03:56:37 am »
*shrugs* All I bought was a small Ranma 1/2 pin that was super cute!

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 04:48:32 am »
I'm sure it's not so big a deal as i'm making it out to be lol...I just feel bad for whoever might have gotten tricked into buying her fake pokemon cards....taking them to a tournament can get you in trouble...even in ignorance...D:

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 11:02:59 am »
If you're talking about the place I think you're talking about, it would have been out of ignorance if these cards were fake.  I've gone to that shop on several occations, and have found many great things that are legit.  It would have been on the supplier in this case.  Keep in mind that not everyone knows Pokemon that well, and to someone who doesn't, how are they to tell the difference between a legit one and a fake?