Author Topic: The Protomen  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
The Protomen
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:18:26 pm »
So the Protomen are preforming in Portland both tonight and tomorrow night. I'm planning to go tomorrow night, any one else going?

if you don'lt know who the Protomen are you need to fix this right away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGvqMXYhYhU

izamor

Re: The Protomen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
Not a huge fan of the first album, but Act II: The Father of Death was amazing.
In my opinion, The Hounds is by far their best work.
I'm actually wearing a Act II shirt in my avatar pic. :D

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
Lol nice. I prefer the first album to father of death but I do like the wider variety of styles father has.

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 01:09:25 am »
Darn! Missed it!
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:58 am »
Never heard of them until I saw this thread; personally, that one video was somewhat boring.  Oh well, to each their own.  I hope the show was enjoyable.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

izamor

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:48:02 am »
Never heard of them until I saw this thread; personally, that one video was somewhat boring.  Oh well, to each their own.  I hope the show was enjoyable.

Now that I'm back on my computer, here's the song I mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcDoZnN8ac

It's a completely different style than the one he linked.
The first album was more electronic and similar to the video game soundtracks, while Act II was a bit more traditional.
Just wish that Portland wasn't so far away. D:

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:11 am »
...uh-huh.  What was he saying?  I don't really get what the message behind the song was...

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:50:38 am »
Both the first album (just titled the Protomen) and the Father of Death are Kinda rock operas. The Protomen is about mega man following in Protomans foot steps to avenge his death. The Father of Death is about this rise of Dr. Willy and Dr. Lights involvement in the ordeal. In the song the Hounds Dr. Willy is blaming Dr. light for some ones murder by way of robot (thus the line "what kind of man builds a machine to kill a girl? No he did not use his hands, like a smart man he used a tool but just the same, how can you question who's to blame?"

izamor

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:59 am »
One of the reasons I love The Protomen is because their songs have a story between the lyrics.
If you look up the lyrics, you should (hopefully) find that there's a story literally between the lines.
Any time you don't hear vocals, there's more something that you're supposed to be reading to go along with it.
Certainly makes for a interesting, plot-filled album if you ask me. :D

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:23:19 am »
agreed. I highly recommend reading along for your first listen through of the cds. Father of death has a lot more story that isn't in the songs which is something that I didn't like as much. Though the protomen has an entire track that is really mood music for some of the reading.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 11:27:51 am »
I just read this thread.......
 I though it was about mega-man's Protoman
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »
The band is singing about mega-man and protoman.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »
Both the first album (just titled the Protomen) and the Father of Death are Kinda rock operas. The Protomen is about mega man following in Protomans foot steps to avenge his death. The Father of Death is about this rise of Dr. Willy and Dr. Lights involvement in the ordeal. In the song the Hounds Dr. Willy is blaming Dr. light for some ones murder by way of robot (thus the line "what kind of man builds a machine to kill a girl? No he did not use his hands, like a smart man he used a tool but just the same, how can you question who's to blame?"
I'd just like to say that Mega is fighting to avenge Protoman's death not Light's since well he's still alive durring Act 1.

And the girl that was murdered was Light's finance, who was killed by a machine Wily built.

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:37 pm »
I'd just like to say that Mega is fighting to avenge Protoman's death not Light's since well he's still alive durring Act 1.

And the girl that was murdered was Light's finance, who was killed by a machine Wily built.

yeah I said he was avenging Protoman.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:41 pm »

Okay, I'm not too familiar with the Mega Man franchise, so perhaps that's part of why this didn't appeal to me.  I have no idea what Dr. Willy or Dr. Lights are.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »
@ wash, In megaman legends 2 megaman is voiced by the actress who voiced rita from american sailormoon

just seems wrong....
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

izamor

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »

Okay, I'm not too familiar with the Mega Man franchise, so perhaps that's part of why this didn't appeal to me.  I have no idea what Dr. Willy or Dr. Lights are.

Dr. Wily is the man who took over the world with his army of robots. Dr. Light is the one who built the robots in the first place, but he did it so "no one would ever have to work themselves to death" like his father. (Died in a mining accident.)

@ wash, In megaman legends 2 megaman is voiced by the actress who voiced rita from american sailormoon

just seems wrong....

Album 1 covers Megaman 1-8, while Act 2 is a prologue to the whole thing.

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:47 am »
Just got back from the concert and ROCKED HARD! Oh god. They are amazing live. Tonight the did Father of death and last night was the first album so I'm bummed I missed that one but good lord. The Hounds is infinitely better live.

as a side note it doesn't really cover megaman 1-8 as the protomen is really an original story using most of the characters from mega man and some of the concepts. Like Willy and light starting out as partners with Willy turning on Light. However Light's girl friend Emily and the fall of Protoman are not in the games.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 01:51:56 pm »

Dr. Wily is the man who took over the world with his army of robots. Dr. Light is the one who built the robots in the first place, but he did it so "no one would ever have to work themselves to death" like his father. (Died in a mining accident.)

I'm assuming that you're refering to part of the Mega Man storyline, correct?  The one Mega Man game I played didn't mention much of a storyline, and what little was there, I don't remember to many of the names.