Author Topic: Who Has Played Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX?  (Read 24144 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Who Has Played Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX?
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 11:04:27 pm »
Totally. I got so many great cards with like, one arrow, making them useless. Still, the challenge is thrilling...though getting pwned, and having your best cards ripped from your little monkey-boy paw, is no fun.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 08:01:32 am »
They made real tetra master cards? In my very short time being subscribed to FF11 I played way more tetra master than I did 11.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 08:32:46 am »
I don't know if they printed real Tetra Master cards (the game from IX), but they did for Triple Triad (the game from VIII). They are in obviously rare and short supply (one of those things only released in Japan, so finding them is pretty much just hoping as you hunt through e-bay), but boy are they cool if you actually can get your hands on them.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 09:11:54 am »
That's awesome. in middle school some friends and I printed up some triple triad cards to play at school.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:36 am »
That is awesome as well, haha. I love when virtual games become real games. It's a pretty great example of something going viral that most likely was never intended to.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 12:46:34 pm »
I think it was my freshman year of high school I was working on coming up with rules to play a turn based version of blitz ball too. I was kind of a nerd....

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2011, 01:03:47 pm »
That's pretty amazing, haha. I would love to see a real-life adaptation of Blitzball. It is already so fleshed out with its own rules, it seems like it would be easy to recreate (aside from the whole breathing underwater part).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:52 pm »
Played every FF title to date.

FFI FFII FFIII (GRIND FEST!) Oh the days where story wasn't as important as mindless grinding/slaughtering monsters.

FFIV and FFVI both have a special place in my heart FFVI for me holds a special place in my heart. It was the first FF game I ever played & it made me put huge faith in FF games. I owned (& still own) my copy on SNES as titled Final Fantasy III. Only later when my G/F moved in could I say that I have it on the PS too lol.

FFV Was fun but a little...odd

Set up a 35 minute long attack sequence in FFVII Win! I have literally lost count of how many times I played through this game & conquered every aspect of it each time...then reset the PS & started a new game. Honestly, one of the most adored in the franchise for a reason.

Disliked the magic system of FFVIII Agreed

FFIX was way too pretty and I loved every minute of it with the exception of the reverse castle (sold all my starter gear) Loved this game...sad thing is, the first 3 times I played it, I never finished it for one reason or another. Always stopped near the end of the game. It was only about 1.5-2yrs ago that I finally played through it completely lol.

FFX Blitzball... nuff said! PREACH!! My G/F still thinks I'm crazy for turning on that game & then just playing blitzball for HOURS. If they made a FF Blitzball title, I would TOTALLY buy it.

FFX-2 BARBIE! Being a big fan of FFX...I didn't really get into this one. I thought it cheapened FFX lol

FFXI (fell asleep while walking around) See notes below

Everything after this is all flash and not as impressive to me (then agian im an old school gamer) I like the old & the new myself. Yes, I even liked FFXIII even though everyone seems to hate it lol

Note: I only mentioned the titles I figured were worth mentioning) there are all the gameboy ones, and more, etc... Not a big handheld person myself...just never find enough time to use them.

So sad that not too many people put enough time into FFXI to get into the multiple storylines...they were SO good & a ton of fun to play through with your friends online. My G/F & I played that game for years & loved it. Although VI, VII, IX, & X are all incredible games that I will always adore, if I'm being honest, FFXI was probably one of my favorites. Again, sad that not many people here got the chance to enjoy the stories & adventures that it offered. I understand how it could have been hard for a lot of people as MMORPGs demand a lot of time & commitment (which is one of the reasons we eventually quit playing).

As far as Tetra Master, there was & still is tetra master available on PlayOnline which is the FFXI shell basically. I played quite a bit of it & I loved it just as much as I did in IX. Unfortunately though, there weren't too many other people on that play it so most of the time you played against AI...which is ok too I guess.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »
I love Tetra Master! And Triple Triad in VIII. I think both card games are just so much fun, and I actually got a nice collection of cards in IX. I still haven't gotten them all, though.

*Extra nerd points, I actually bought my wife the first several sets of the real Triple Triad cards. Still need to get the actual game board, but still.....'tis awesome, lol.

Oh boy, Terra Master
I'm merciless with that game
I will take people's favorite cards with out a care
and then I would lose one of mine and cry like the world ended
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 11:05:11 pm »
haha, totally! I have zero mercy for npc's...but those cards are mine! Don't take my Grand Dragon!! I'll murder any npc that takes my cards, lol.....well, if you could play IX the way you can play True Crime: Streets of LA, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2011, 12:38:45 am »
Hey, you can get cards from fights and random battles... so you kinda are anyway. xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011, 10:18:42 am »
Ha...good point. Killin' for cards...that's how we roll on Gaia.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was just looking through the new FFXIII-2 website, and lookie what I found.

Now, I saw this and broke my keyboard, because...you know who I am almost positive that is?

Anima.

As in...the best aeon from X.

And my personal favorite of the whole series.

So....XIII-2 just went up about 500% in my eyes.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2011, 10:25:14 am »
But the cards from the Monsters are LAME!

I LOVE ANIMA!!!
his design was my favorite

Although this one looks a bit weird
maybe it's the the angle
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 10:38:04 am »
No, this one most definitely looks weird...because it's XIII. That was one of my problems with the world of Pulse and Cocoon...the fal'cie were all too mechanical and inorganic. I will always prefer the X version, but I can't say I'm not glad to see Anima return in some form.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »
I have agree, FF XIII was pretty mechanical
Anima looks like a a really pissed off FF Frankenstein

I was worried that he might become one of those summons that were only in one game a forgotten , like Ixion

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »
Ixion was changed into Odin for XIII

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_mi8obl4SQU8/S7UURxm2WtI/AAAAAAAAASU/gY3V_Ql7XqA/ff13-lightning-and-odin%5B3%5D.jpg

I know he's a horse and not a 'unicorn' like Ixion was but they are the same in a way. Both are lightning based horses.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2011, 01:02:51 pm »
Yeah, Ixion was awesome too. I'd love to see them carried over like the other staples (Bahamut, Leviathan, Odin, Ifrit, etc.). I think Ixion actually would have fit the world of XIII well, but maybe they thought it would have been confused with Sleipner/Odin.

Anima, though, I love it too much. I spent so much time hunting down the figure of Anima all over the net, finally found it and it really is one of my most prized possessions, haha. Geeky, but true. It's just so gruesome and macabre...which I think is unfortunately lost in the XIII-2 design.

*Oh, wow, hadn't even considered that XIII's Odin was based on Ixion, but I can definitely see it now. The curve of the swords are clearly modeled after Ixion's horn.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:04:09 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 01:04:48 pm »
Iunno...I still think they are the same horse. Odin has been in a lot of FF games. Maybe they just changed the name?
It just seems strange to have two horses with the same element being completely different things. DX

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »
Well 13 has been the only time that Odin has been lightning based to my knowledge so I don't think that are supposed to be the same.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »
I can see the similarities
Just picture Odin rotting away

They sure lost that in the FFXIII-2 design for Anima, I liked how it was like one of the most powerful summon was being controlled against it's will
or it was so powerful that it had to be controlled.
I wouldn't mind having a figurine of him,

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:42 pm »
Well 13 has been the only time that Odin has been lightning based to my knowledge so I don't think that are supposed to be the same.

Yeah, to my knowledge, Odin has always been a non-elemental summon.

Wait, are you thinking that Ixion was basically X's version of Odin?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:23:14 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:51 pm »

Wait, are you thinking that Ixion was basically X's version of Odin?

^^ That's what I'm sayin!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:08 pm »
Ooooooooooh, I see now!

I still don't exactly agree though, only because Odin has never been equated with his horse, Sleipnir, in Final Fantasy. Neither has he been an elemental aeon/summon/GF, as Ixion was. Also, we could get into little details about creature design, how Sleipnir has always had 8 legs while Ixion only has 4, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything (especially considering how Odin's horse-form in XIII does, indeed, have only 4 legs).

I think Square has always made Odin unmistakeably Odin, up until XIII anyway, and that was only because of the whole vehicle function of the eidolons.

If anything, though, I think Odin's horse-form in XIII is a rendition of Ixion...but I don't think the same could be said of Ixion as a rendition of Odin (if that made any sense...it's late, lol).

But I'm gonna stop, because this is getting waaaaay too analytical, lol (sorry about that....I wrote an essay on FF summons once, I don't think I should do it again, haha)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:00:16 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2011, 12:45:46 pm »
I thought the reason Odin turned into a horse was because he rode one in his other designs.
Also as far I know Ixion never had a one hit kill move like Odin so why would he be X's version of Odin?

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2011, 04:24:19 pm »
I thought the reason Odin turned into a horse was because he rode one in his other designs.
Also as far I know Ixion never had a one hit kill move like Odin so why would he be X's version of Odin?
agreed

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2011, 08:36:33 pm »
Yeah, it makes total sense for Odin to turn into a horse...I just don't know why he turned into a 4-legged horse (because Sleipnir has 8 (or in FF, 6) legs and has always been represented as Sleipnir, and not just a normal horse).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:19:07 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »
Rendering capabilities or just a design choice, maybe? I don't think the other versions of the summon Odin (like FFVIII) had the 8-legged horse. He rode a 4-legged one.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2011, 06:12:42 pm »
Hmm, I'm thinking it was a specific design choice, because the horse had 6 legs in VII, VIII, and IX. So, yeah, I'm figuring there was never an intended connection between Sleipnir and Ixion, though I really still have no clue why the 4 legs in XIII, lol. The world will never know...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:19:57 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »
So I just googled Ixion. Turns out that Ixion was a king in Greek myth who was pretty much a huge ass, of course pretty much every one in Greek myth is. He promised some guy a really great present if he could marry his daughter but when he wouldn't pay up the guy just stole his horses instead. Ixion decided the rational course of action when your horses are stolen is murder, naturally. So he invite his father in law over for a feast and then shoves him in a fire. This made every one else hate him and he became an outcast.

Zeus being the nice guy decided to have pity on him and invite him up to Olympus where this kinda of dick-baggery is pretty much par for the course. While at dinner, rather than be a thankful that the god of thunder himself is inviting him over to hang out Ixion instead starts checking out his wife Hera.

Zeus being no schmuck sees this and decides that rather than politely ask him to leave he should instead make a fake Hera out of.... clouds. No joke. He then tricks Ixion into banging this Hera cloud clone. Seriously he puts naked cloud Hera into ixions bed so he thinks that the queen of gods WANTS to get busy. Then, when oddly enough he does, Zeus is so outraged that he has Ixion chained to a burning, flying, rotating wheel for all eternity, which seems like a little bit of an over reaction to me. Cloud Hera then gives birth to Ixions deformed baby Centaurus who being deformed and ugly can't make friends and goes up to a mountain and has sex with horses creating the first centaur.

Seriously, I can't make this sh** up.

So Ixion is very clearly unrelated to Zeus in any way.

How they took ass hole that bangs a cloud and is grand dad to centaurs and got bad ass lighting unicorn I dunno.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »
haha, getting into the mythological origins of the summons and aeons always has really intrigued me. Most of them I have been able to find logical sources for, but then there are the ones like Ixion and Eden....ones whose literary namesakes don't make any sense in conjunction with the final product. So, it's fun to speculate. I wonder what was going through their heads when they named certain ones, heh.

Anima is still my favorite though, and the more research I did into Jungian psychology and the anima, the more amazing and twisted that aeon became.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »
Well, from what I remember, doesn't the Eden summon look like a floating landmass that's supposed to be paradise or something?
KumoriCon 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »
Seems like it. So, yeah, I can see Eden applying in that way there. Nerd point for you, heh.

Lessee, while we're on the topic, what other summons are on the weirder side of things? Typhoon (VII) was definitely a strange one. I don't think I ever traced that one's origins. The same with Ramuh.

In VIII there were also Pandemona and Doomtrain. I think they got really creative with VIII. It also has waaaaaay more GF's than any other game, I think.

IX had Atomos and Ark (which I never even was able to get...darn pumice pieces), as well as Maideen (which doesn't even matter because I friggin' LOVE Maideen!!!).

Yeah, I could nerd out over this stuff all day, every day. No problem, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2011, 09:14:27 pm »
I always thought Bahamut was an odd one as his mythological origins is a giant whale.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »
That was a pretty farfetched interpretation, getting a dragon king from a cosmic whale, lol. I do like how Bahamut and Kujata are related, though. That was kind of interesting to me.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:39 pm »
pretty sure VI has the most summons. 27 of them I think.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
Holy pon, really? Wow, yeah, that takes the cake then, for sure.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:48 am »
Yeah, do to the Esper system and learning magics directly from Espers, FFVI has the most summons. It kinda needed them, for battle, learning magic, and the storyline.

One I always found interesting was Alexander. I don't know the origins, but the first thing I think of was Alexander the Great. How does that translate to "Giant sentient castle that kills EVERYTHING."
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2011, 10:34:36 am »
I think the name more comes from the kingdom's name of Alexandria.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2011, 10:57:39 am »
I think the name more comes from the kingdom's name of Alexandria.

For IX; but since Alexander existed before IX it's more like Alexandria was named after Alexander, the summon.

I just assumed the summon was based on ME (because my middle name is Alexander...and I'm as big as a castle, lol). Kidding, but doing a little research actually reveals a perfect explanation of Alexander's origins.

It looks like the name 'Alexander':
is derived from the Greek "Αλέξανδρος" (Aléxandros), meaning "defending men" [1] or "protector of men", a compound of the verb "ἀλέξω" (alexō), "to ward off, to avert, to defend"[2] and the noun "ἀνδρός" (andros), genitive of "ἀνήρ" (anēr), "man".[3] It is an example of the widespread motif of Greek (or Indo-European more generally) names expressing "battle-prowess", in this case the ability to withstand or push back an enemy battle line.

That sounds pretty much fitting of the Alexander we know and see in FF, a big bastion of power defending the party/people.

And having read that explanation....I love my name so much more now, lol.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:58:33 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2011, 11:42:45 am »
That does make Alexander make more sense he's been one of my favorite summons ever since I played 6. He doesn't really doesn't change very much in design until XIII

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »
If it was named after someone it would be named after me, my full name is Alexandra

I didn't know it was in pre-9 games
That makes sense being a protector

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »
Anyone have any ideas for Valefor (from X)? I know it's the name of a duke of Hell, but the summon never struck me as very demonic, so I don't think that's it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:29 pm »
Oh yeah him...
Valefor always seemed like a flying like name

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 02:21:44 pm »
Yeah I dunno I can't find anything that makes sense. They probably just liked the name. Kinda like Shiva, ice hottie doesn't really have much to do with the Hindu god.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:12 pm »
Sounds reasonable. A lot of the summons are probably much more loosely tied to their origins than one would want to think. It's interesting, and I am always excited to see what new summons show up. I still have a handful of mythological entities that I would love to see appear in a FF.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »
on a side note, never, NEVER do a google image search for carbuncle. It's more than just a gemstone and cute green bunny.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 05:06:58 pm »
... it's a medical thingy that's rather ugly. n.n
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 06:00:07 pm »
why must the real world ruin our innocent ideas?