Author Topic: Who Has Played Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX?  (Read 24134 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Who Has Played Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX?
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:03:51 pm »
Just a little curious. Who has played the "golden age" games of the Final Fantasy series: Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX?

I'm interested to find out just how recognizable all the Final Fantasy cosplays are, and from where people are recognizing them if they haven't themselves played the games.

So, let me have it.  :)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
Re: Who Has Played Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:04:54 pm »
I played a tiny bit of FFVII....but i stopped once i saw that young Cloud had a pony tail *shudder*

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:50 pm »
Ah, what? Don't let a little pony-tail envy keep you from playing, haha

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »
XD ahahaha, well it was that and i was only borrowing the game from someone for a short time so i wasn't able to play it for very long. And I've only played a demo for FFVIII that came with my Brave Fencer Musashi game.

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »
I've played almost every single Final Fantasy at least a bit(the only one I haven't touched is FFXIV), and out of the 3 you're talking about I find VIII to easily be the most fun.

I do gotta disagree with you on one thing though Eve: the Final Fantasy "golden age" is IV, V, and VI since those are easily where the Final Fantasy series was at its best, with emphasis on VI. Never have I played a Final Fantasy as good as VI, and I highly doubt they'll ever make one as good as it in the future.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »
I own VII and IX on disk but I have never played VIII.
VII I tried to play on PSP (digital download) but it hurt my eyes so I never got past the beginning. I have actually never played my disks for that game. XD

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »
I've played and own all of them :D I have only beaten VII, I got on the last form of Ultimicia in VIII but died =/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:16:47 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:34:56 pm »
I have played and own two coppies of every final fantasy one opened one sealed. I mean EVERY one even the not so final fantasy ones if it says final fantasy in the title I own that sh**
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita
Day One - Maka (Soul Eater) With Scythe and soul eater group
Day Two - Konan with Naruto group
Day Three - To be decided
Day four - Slants groupie

Order of costumes subject to change.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »
I have played all of them 1-13 <.<

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:39 pm »
Yay! Great to see! I'm just glad to know there are people who recognize characters for characters' sake, and not just because they are abundantly cosplayed characters.

I've played almost every single Final Fantasy at least a bit(the only one I haven't touched is FFXIV), and out of the 3 you're talking about I find VIII to easily be the most fun.

I do gotta disagree with you on one thing though Eve: the Final Fantasy "golden age" is IV, V, and VI since those are easily where the Final Fantasy series was at its best, with emphasis on VI. Never have I played a Final Fantasy as good as VI, and I highly doubt they'll ever make one as good as it in the future.

I have heard that a lot. I had some second thoughts about even using the term "golden age" because I knew it would trigger something with someone eventually, heh, but I would argue that out of the whole fandom, it is undeniable that VII started Square's international acclaim. I mean, there's a reason VII has "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII". That's the one the fans latch onto and have chosen as their general favorite. Generally, anyway.

But yeah, not to take away from VI, or any of the games, though. They all have their draw.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »
I've played and own all of them :D I have only beaten VII, I got on the last form of Ultimicia in VIII but died =/

And I'll be honest...I've not even personally played VIII. I've watched Brittany play it a couple times, and I've played the Triple Triad card game, but I myself have not played the majority of the game, lol.

VII and IX though I've cleared, albeit with several secrets and side-quests left unfinished.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »
I have cleared all of then except VII because I never got to beat it before we moved and lost it ><

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »
Ah, well at least they've released it on PSN now. You can at least buy it digitally and play it that way.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »
ahem just in case you were interested I am selling my ponyo i saw that it was one of the ghibli you needed
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita
Day One - Maka (Soul Eater) With Scythe and soul eater group
Day Two - Konan with Naruto group
Day Three - To be decided
Day four - Slants groupie

Order of costumes subject to change.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:37:53 pm »
Yeah if only I had a PS3 ><

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »
I'm up to selling my disks if you want (I'm desperate to get money for food for con. DX). Plus, I have the digital download on my ps3.
If you're interested we can talk about it in PMs or something. ;P

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 03:28:32 am »
Naw, I've NEVER played these games. Final Fantasy IX? No, no, don't think I've ever heard of it. Final Fantasy VII? I might recall that... someone made a movie, right? And that VIII... wasn't the gunblade from it in Parasite Eve 2 too?

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, I own a black-lable FFIX and a Greatest Hits FFVIII. I have access to FFVII, but haven't played it yet (I plan to rip the isos so I can play it on the emulator when I go back to the dorms, since it's my roommates). Despite knowing just about everything about those three games (Before my comp had to be wiped, I was in the process of translating the Ultimania guides for these three. I'm trying to find scans again), I have never actually played past disc one of FFVII myself. It's not due to laziness or not liking the game (my favorite FFs go FFIX, FFX, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII), but I've never had the blimey thing in my possession long enough. It was always my brother or sister who had the game, and they were damn stingy in letting me play.

FFIX is, without a shadow of a doubt, my all-time favorite game EVAR. xD No game has been created that I can say I like more. That is the game I still play through at least once a year, I've done an Excalibur II run, multiple challenge runs, a Level 1 game (or as close as you can in FFIX; it's impossible to not have at least one character level), and nearly finished an Excalibur II Perfect Game (I nearly got carpal tunnel during the Hippaul's Racing circuit). I've started that challenge again, with the hope of getting extra time built up for the part I got stuck on, etc. etc.

But yeah. I've played 'em. I love 'em, but I would include FFVI in that 'Golden Age' n.n Then again, to each his own; my favorite FFs are FFIX, FFVI, and FFX

Oh, and Eve... if you or Brittany ever want help with a Steiner or Beatrix... I have some experience in armor, and would love more experience to train myself for a certain future cosplay of doom. n.n
KumoriCon 2012

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 04:00:35 am »
@ princess how much?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:24:56 am »
Well, the thread's already been moved, but for future notice, let's try to keep the game-selling/dealing convos to pm's.

I would say this is a thread about gaming, but I guess it doesn't matter, really.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:15:56 am »
Ah, my bad - thank you for saying something, EveofAbyss. I misread and thought page 2 was where the topic started, with the subject of selling games. Moving back now.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 09:21:27 am »
Played and replayed ff 6,7,8,9 (played 10 thru and most of x-2 but after that fell off the rest)

I still question 9's ending all (spoiler)

Where all the vivi's come from?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:13 am »
Ah, my bad - thank you for saying something, EveofAbyss. I misread and thought page 2 was where the topic started, with the subject of selling games. Moving back now.

No prob. Thanks, Random. ^_^

@Jaz: I wondered about that for a while, too. I think at one point I came up with a reason, but now I can't remember it, lol. If the black mages were made from mist, and mist went away with the destruction of the Iifa tree...yeah, ponderous, haha

If it's any consolation, I have a bit of heartbreaking news related to Vivi....

...apparently he was the first one to die of the entire cast/party. He died a couple years after the game's story ended.

I read that and couldn't think of the ending in the same way.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:47:25 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 09:54:25 am »
Yeah, that's why I said to PM me. XP I probably should have PM'd her first but I wasn't thinking.

I really should play FFVII past the start and see how it plays out. It just seems to start so slow, too...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:04 am »
It starts in the middle of a terrorist bombing, haha. That got my heart pumping when I first played it (then again I was 10 at the time, so.....nevermind, lol).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00:41 am »
Well I tried to play the download on a PSP which is too small for my eyes to not hurt. I couldn't really pay attention but it seemed pretty slow when I tried it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 10:09:40 am »
I can see that. One definitely has to be in the old-school RPG mood to get it going. I mean, I love VII, but I don't think it will ever grab attention like a contemporary action game or platformer. Or any current game, really, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 10:13:19 am »
lol Yeah. Plus, since I never played it when I was a kid it probably has some effect. I didn't play it in it's prime so I can't see how 'awesome' it really is, I guess. One day I'll try and play it further cause I want to cosplay (SPOILER) Aerith with a sword stuck through her. :P (End Spoiler) I think it would be fun.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:03 am »
haha, good plan. But yeah, you've gotta earn that cosplay, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
lol Yeah.
I haven't even watched the movie. DX
Griff showed me the beginning of the movie and then the fight scene. It's just hard to jump back into those games without a desire to play them.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:27 am »
Yeah, for sure. They're such long games, it takes commitment. They definitely aren't the type of thing you can just sit down and play for a bit from time to time. At least, I have never been able to do that.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 10:54:05 am »
I have a friend who played that game for like...999 hours or something. DX He did absolutely everything in the game over and over and over again. He's like that with God of War, too.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58:26 am »
Wow. Yeah, commitment, lol. Every time I start the games I set out saying 'this time I'm going to do all those extra things' but by the time I'm finally able to (40+ game hours in), I don't want to anymore and just want to finish it. Like, in VII, there is this summon materia you can get called Knights of the Round. It is the most devastating, monstrous magic in the whole game, but you have to do this lengthy side quest to get it. Every time I play, by the time I could do the work to go get it...I don't need it anymore, lol. The last time I played through, I beat the final boss in less than a minute, just because everyone was already so leveled up and strong without that materia. That's how several items in VII are. They are great, but you don't really need them. It's just for reputation and cred, to say you did it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 11:08:22 am »
Yeah, my brother is another person who goes through and does 100% every single play-through whether he needs to or not. He's nuts. DX
I would probably need that magic, lol. The only games I've ever been really good at are Dark Cloud and Legend of Dragoon.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 11:10:35 am »
I do things like Knights of the Round just... 'cause. xD I mean, the Excalibur II in FFIX is ridiculous; defeat Lich in Memoria in less than 12 hours, and grab the sword. If you get there later, Gilgamesh apparently came for it xD;; It's Steiner;s ultimate weapon and the strongest in the game, but for the effort it takes, it's ridiculous. By the time you're there, you'd be strong enough to take on anything in the game, pretty much (maybe not Ozma... since it's Ozma xD). But I do it anyway, because I just love to play the game n.n
KumoriCon 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 11:39:39 am »
Yup, I'm...lazy? I dunno, lol. The last time I played through VII, I spent a lot of time in the downed Shinra plane leveling up Double Cut materia until I had two 4x-Cut materias. Those alone were so disgustingly more than enough...I loved it though. Take it, Sephiroth, lol.

But, yeah, generally, unless I reeeeeally want to do a certain thing, I tend not to. I still need to do a lot of things in IX (like that Excalibur quest...though I doubt I'd ever actually be able to if I did try...oh yeah, I did try once, and didn't get close, haha).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:46 am »
DID SOMEONE SAY FFIX?!?!?!
I love that game...
Sadly I haven't played VII only watched the movie and some of Crisis Core
I just have a hard time finding it!
I believe my friend has FFVIII so I might borrow it from her

Also IV is one of my favorites

For me the golden age of FF was all the Pre-PS2 games
I mean XIII is good but it's not the same
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:38 am »
I normally just head pretty straight forward in games. :/ I need to be more adventurous I guess.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 12:03:51 pm »
I own & have played every FF game with the exception of FF14 since I don't want to get sucked onto another MMORPG lol.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »
I normally just head pretty straight forward in games. :/ I need to be more adventurous I guess.

Totally. These games reward the curious, let me tell ya. There are still little things I'm finding...like, if you go into this town three times and talk to this old dude after talking to this one person twice, they'll give you a potion....just weird crap like that, lol. It's littered through these games.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »
Yeah, there's tons of little things. Like how Locke from FFVI is an old man in Lindblum in FFIX, the Parasite Eve convo in the Lindblum Synthesis Shop, the Resident Eve -Insert the Medal- joke, the Buster Sword on the wall of the Lindblum weapon shop, music from FFIII in the Black Mage Village...

eheh... xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 02:01:19 pm »
I find Sidequest fun, most of the time
like in IV I got all the bonus summons, mostly to level up but they were also fun

Or the Chocobo Hot and Cold game in IX
I'm addicted to it. I know one day I will spend all my gil on it
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 02:04:57 pm »
Chocobo Hot & Cold I really like. We got all the way up to Ozma with that one...and then were promptly sent packing with our feathers between our legs.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 02:22:15 pm »
Personally I don't know that Final Fantasy has had a real "Golden Age" I mean 7, 8 and 9 do seem to be the era that it got the most fans in the US but as far as quality they have been MOSTLY consistently good with everything past 4 or so.

FF6 is my personal favorite with FF8 being a good second. Which shows with my SeeD Squall cosplay. Having been going through FF6 again more recently and without the aid of the speed increase from ZSNES I realize that the combat is WAY too slow for current gamers but despite that it manages to hold my attention with it's huge cast of memorable characters and truly epic story.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »
Played every FF title to date.

FFI FFII FFIII (GRIND FEST!)

FFIV and FFVI both have a special place in my heart

FFV Was fun but a little...odd

Set up a 35 minute long attack sequence in FFVII

Disliked the magic system of FFVIII

FFIX was way too pretty and I loved every minute of it with the exception of the reverse castle (sold all my starter gear)

FFX Blitzball... nuff said!

FFX-2 BARBIE!

FFXI (fell asleep while walking around)

Everything after this is all flash and not as impressive to me (then agian im an old school gamer)

Note: I only mentioned the titles I figured were worth mentioning) there are all the gameboy ones, and more, etc...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:25:49 pm by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 07:12:31 pm »
Chocobo Hot & Cold I really like. We got all the way up to Ozma with that one...and then were promptly sent packing with our feathers between our legs.
I got far, red Choco, btut hen I overwrited my game... :(

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »
there haven't been too many FFs that I straight up didn't like. 1-4 all had aspects that I thought were interesting but over all were not fun to play. mystic quest was a joke. I enjoyed 13 for it's story and pretty cut scenes but given how linear it was it should have just been a movie.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:41 pm »
Choco Hot&Cold does make me happy. xD It's rather addicting... then there's the Tetra Master cardgame in FFIX and the blackjack game. Tetra Master, I think, was reused in FFXI... but I haven't actually played the game myself, so I don't know xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 11:01:37 pm »
Honestly, my favorite FF game is Chrystal Chronicles XDDD I prefer the "go up and hit it" fighting style to the turn based.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 11:01:57 pm »
I love Tetra Master! And Triple Triad in VIII. I think both card games are just so much fun, and I actually got a nice collection of cards in IX. I still haven't gotten them all, though.

*Extra nerd points, I actually bought my wife the first several sets of the real Triple Triad cards. Still need to get the actual game board, but still.....'tis awesome, lol.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:02:59 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »
neither have I. It's ridiculous, especially with you want certain arrows on the cards >>
KumoriCon 2012