Author Topic: Desperately needing SKITS for cosplay contest  (Read 35288 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Desperately needing SKITS for cosplay contest
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:07 pm »
As for Saturday, it will depend on the time that it happens.  I have a panel Saturday night, as well.

Okay; my panel is from 6:30 to 8.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2011, 04:00:38 pm »
As for Saturday, it will depend on the time that it happens.  I have a panel Saturday night, as well.

Okay; my panel is from 6:30 to 8.

Panelists who have panels that get in the way of some of the cosplay events just need to tell me that their schedule so I can work out when we can do things. Obviously, if it interferes with the actual cosplay competition, it would be difficult to work around, but usually for the premeeting, tech rehearsals and costume judging we can juggle times to ensure you can do both (with premeeting, if you are on a panel at that time, just see me before to confirm your entry info and ask questions and all that.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2011, 06:25:38 pm »
=== UPDATED 8/26/2011!!!! ==

We have 2 divisions for skits - Dance skit and regular skit
Judges will be some of the GUESTS (you know, those voice actors and industry people who come to Kumoricon to meet us)

I just tallied again what we have for entries ... According to my database as of FRIDAY 8/26 at 06:24 PM:

SKITS - ONLY 17 out of 35 slots taken    :-\   (double what we had 2 weeks ago!)
9 Dance skits
8 Regular skits
- - Of those we have 4 dance & 4 regular Novice Adult groups   
                         AND 4 Dance & 2 Regular Novice Minor groups
                         AND 1 Journeyman Regular groups
                         AND 1 Master Dance & 1 Master Regular skit

COSTUME -  24 out of 30 slots taken  :o  NEARLY FULL!!!! (we had some drops and adds)
Stats:
Group Costumes
     - 1 Master group
     - 5 Novice Groups
Solo Costumes
     - 11 Novice
     - 4 Journeyman
     - 3 Master
(keep in mind, that's 4 minutes per costume for judging...but less than 30 seconds each for walk on)

Keep in mind that an advantage of performing in a skit is that you have a longer time on stage for people to admire your costume and be amazed at your tremendous talent. Also, the SKITS are the ones eligible for winning tickets to Kumoricon next year.

Remember: signing up early for a skit slot reduces the STRESS of the cosplay manager (saves me from typing everything in at the last minute!)  And a happy stress free Cosplay Manager is a SANE Cosplay Manager

so PLEASE enter your SKITS!!!!

***Keep in mind that this year the big prize for best in show SKIT is tickets to Kumoricon 2012!!!****
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:32:15 pm by Runa »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2011, 06:42:12 pm »
About half of the slots are taken up!  That's a nice increase since I last saw where we were at; about 1/3.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
Original Idea folded but I have a new one would you still like me to email something in or sign up at the convention?
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2011, 11:01:49 am »
Original Idea folded but I have a new one would you still like me to email something in or sign up at the convention?

Send it in... I'll send reply once I receive it.   :)

I will be checking email every day up until Thursday night (because computer will be packed away at that time, and I seriously doubt I'll have internet access at the hotel).   

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2011, 03:33:50 pm »
I'm trying to pull together a Pokemon battle skit, a forum mod suggested it in a thread I originally started for cosplay battles after the Pokemon photo shoot (noon, esther short park, day 2).  Here's the link to the thread: http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=15858.0 Post in this thread (or in the case of the unborn skit, PM me) if you are interested.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:39 pm »
Runa, I have a quick question about lighting.

What sorts of things can be offered? Me and my friend would LOVE some flashing red lights for certain parts of our skit, so would the be possible?

Thanks!

They usually have at least colored lights, a strobe light and a spotlight. At the technical rehearsal, you can ask for what you want, and they can tell you for certain what they can do.   :)
I was under the impression that strobe lights weren't allowed to be used. I know messy, liquid, gassy, or plugged in effects aren't allowed.

Also is it possible to have a CD player containing a CD of the sound effects to be played at the appropriate time by the ninja, plugged into a small speaker, and placed behind the stage ninja screen, on top of having a CD of the background music submitted to the sound crew itself?
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 06:02:51 pm »

They usually have at least colored lights, a strobe light and a spotlight. At the technical rehearsal, you can ask for what you want, and they can tell you for certain what they can do.   :)
I was under the impression that strobe lights weren't allowed to be used. I know messy, liquid, gassy, or plugged in effects aren't allowed.

Also is it possible to have a CD player containing a CD of the sound effects to be played at the appropriate time by the ninja, plugged into a small speaker, and placed behind the stage ninja screen, on top of having a CD of the background music submitted to the sound crew itself?

Unfortunately, we won't have the ability to provide power to the boombox on stage. It would be better if you were to record the sound effects onto the music and voice track rather than attempt to coordinate a device that may not be able to project its sound much further than the first 5 or so rows of seats.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 10:55:29 pm »

Unfortunately, we won't have the ability to provide power to the boombox on stage. It would be better if you were to record the sound effects onto the music and voice track rather than attempt to coordinate a device that may not be able to project its sound much further than the first 5 or so rows of seats.

That's actually the dilemma, I have no way to mix the sound effects with the BGM into one CD. And the CD player I had in mind for the sounds was a small, battery-powered portable one, plugged into a small battery-powered speaker. I can do some small experimenting of how a speaker-to-mic setup could sound, but this was just my way of working around my lack of available mixing software.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 12:06:14 pm »
I'm amazing at breaking sewing machines!
>_> If I get what i want done by hand by 3pm I'll send in my thingy..
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline TheArtNinja

• Cabbit
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »

That's actually the dilemma, I have no way to mix the sound effects with the BGM into one CD. And the CD player I had in mind for the sounds was a small, battery-powered portable one, plugged into a small battery-powered speaker. I can do some small experimenting of how a speaker-to-mic setup could sound, but this was just my way of working around my lack of available mixing software.
If you need a mixing program, try googling Audacity editing software. It's free and surprisingly powerful, not to mention easy to use. It also handles MP3 export so the resulting files can be burned to CD without any compatibility issues. I know that this is kinda last minute, but I hope that it helps! :)
The Super Mario Cosplay and Photoshoot Thread! Show your Mushroom Kingdom pride!
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=15268.0

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:42 am »
=== UPDATED 9/2/2011!!!! ==  <-- LAST UPDATE because I won't have internet access during convention. I updated first article as well to ensure that people see info at both ends of thread. Since I'll be offline all weekend starting in about 10 minutes, if you have additional questions, please see me in person at Kumoricon. I'll be arriving some time this afternoon  :D

We have 2 divisions for skits - Dance skit and regular skit
Judges will be some of the GUESTS (you know, those voice actors and industry people who come to Kumoricon to meet us)

I just tallied again what we have for entries ... According to my database as of FRIDAY 9/2 at 08:27AM:

SKITS - ONLY 18 out of 35 slots taken    :-\   (double what we had 2 weeks ago!)
9 Dance skits
9 Regular skits
- - Of those we have 4 dance & 5 regular Novice Adult groups   
                         AND 4 Dance & 1 Regular Novice Minor groups
                         AND 2 Journeyman Regular groups
                         AND 1 Master Dance & 1 Master Regular skit

COSTUME -  27 out of 30 slots taken  :o  NEARLY FULL!!!! (we had some drops and adds)
Stats:
Group Costumes
     - 1 Master group
     - 5 Novice Groups
Solo Costumes
     - 13 Novice
     - 5 Journeyman
     - 3 Master
(keep in mind, that's 4 minutes per costume for judging...but less than 30 seconds each for walk on)

Keep in mind that an advantage of performing in a skit is that you have a longer time on stage for people to admire your costume and be amazed at your tremendous talent. Also, the SKITS are the ones eligible for winning tickets to Kumoricon next year.

Remember: signing up early for a skit slot reduces the STRESS of the cosplay manager (saves me from typing everything in at the last minute!)  And a happy stress free Cosplay Manager is a SANE Cosplay Manager.   

We will try again this year during the SKITS 101 to recruit entries for the "Iron Skit competition" (people who create their skit in that class with a group of people they don't know)

so PLEASE enter your SKITS!!!!

***Keep in mind that this year the big prize for best in show SKIT is tickets to Kumoricon 2012!!!****

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:49 pm »

If you need a mixing program, try googling Audacity editing software. It's free and surprisingly powerful, not to mention easy to use. It also handles MP3 export so the resulting files can be burned to CD without any compatibility issues. I know that this is kinda last minute, but I hope that it helps! :)
Well my sounds don't even want to burn on their own disc, though my BGM decided to cooperate. I've tweaked my skit a little so that the sounds aren't necessary, though helpful in the performance. I'll still look at that site if I have time and see what I can do.