Author Topic: Audience Favorites (Hybrid)  (Read 31609 times)

Anonymous

Audience Favorites (Hybrid)
« on: September 05, 2005, 09:29:30 pm »
Now that Kumoricon has officially come to a close, I'd like to know what the audience has to say so far as the talent on stage at the Hybrid contest.

I thought that was cool that the Cloud and Dante got first place. They were funny.  :lol: The Kyo did a really good job too. I would have liked the Yunas (or two Lenne's and a Yuna, as they insisted) more if the one without glasses hadn't started laughing halfway through the song. That kind of killed it... :(

So, for those of you that saw the actual contest, or saw the auditions, who was your favorite?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 10:03:10 pm »
I liked the guy who got third. I think he should have won.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:07:37 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
I liked the guy who got third. I think he should have won.

totally that guy was awsome

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 04:53:23 am »
Not to say that the two Dante/Cloud group was bad, but .. I didn't think they were GREAT. It was a fun act, but rather flat and monotone until the whole guitar thing.. I dunno, I thought a lot of acts were better, but.. eh.

The guy who got third was awesome, wasn't he the one who was really there for an Intel meeting? I sat next to him during Hybrid, he was pretty cool to talk to.

The twitchy chick rocked my world.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:39:12 pm »
I didn't like the Cloud/Dante thing either. I thought they were boring and that the air guitar was the only thing they had going for them.

Honestly, I also didn't like the Sakura either. Her song was derivitive--all she did was replace a few words here and there; that's not filking, to me--and even with the vocal dampeners you couldn't hear her over the original track.

Heavensclone

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 12:49:20 pm »
Heh, I was the Dante, and I agree with you guys.  I had originally video recorded Cloud and myself singing before the con to find out how it would sound on the other end and it was pretty monotone and dull.  So I was kinda shocked that we actually won that.

And yeah, the Intel guy was awesome :)

Heavensclone

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 12:51:29 pm »
hm...didn't read all of that post Blackjack...

That Sakura did a damn good job I think, and I could easily hear her voice over the track.

Way to go Sakura!!!

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 12:52:25 pm »

Honestly, I also didn't like the Sakura either. Her song was derivitive--all she did was replace a few words here and there; that's not filking, to me--and even with the vocal dampeners you couldn't hear her over the original track.

I'll keep that in mind for next time.  Usually I don't filk.

And it was not my fault you couldn't hear me over the music.  I was the first one to go, so I got the short end of the stick when it came to sound levels.  Most people weren't singing louder than me, they just had the music and vocal levels properly set up.

I also don't think it's nice to set up a thread bashing the performances one didn't like.  Critiques are fine IF ASKED FOR.  This is rather snarky and rude.

FizzTheCarbonated
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Heavensclone

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 01:16:33 pm »
This is true.  Even though I know my group's performance wasn't that great, critiquing like that is unwanted unless the people being critiqued ask for it (like Sakura just mentioned).

For some of the people of whom it would be their first time doing this karaoke, then seeing a bash on it, it would be a hit to their confidence.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:21:12 pm »
How was I bashing? Bashing would be "OMG THEY SUCKED AND SHOULD NEVER PERFORM AGAIN", but I was just offering my opinion. Talk about thin skin.

And why should critiques only be given if asked for? That doesn't make any sense. Why should we keep our thoughts to ourselves? The people aren't asking for praise either and we can give that, why should critique be different?

Offline The Evil Overlord!

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 01:32:16 pm »
I agree with everybody else. This is not a forum for bashing. In my opinion, everybody brought something to the table that I was impressed with. I do admit that our performance was not the best (I was the Cloud with the Dante). But we weren't going up there thinking we were the best, we just wanted to have fun. By the way, I think that Ninja filk by Sakura was awsome.
"I am the... EEEEEVIL OVERLORD!!!"
                                          -The Evil Overlord!

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 02:28:40 pm »
I liked the Sakura! I admit I couldn't always hear her say "Ninja", but I could hear her voice. It wasn't about going up there to be good anyway. It was supposed to be fun and it was. Its great to see someone get up on stage and rock their heart out.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 03:23:15 pm »
You know, I was unimpressed with some of the contestants, too.  It's inevitable.  People will like and dislike things based upon their personal tastes.  I am not the one naming the people I disliked on a message board where those people will probably come and see it, though, because I feel that is rather inappropriate and rude.  Obviously some other people do not feel the same way.

For the record, I loved the Intel Haruka Kaneta guy.  He rocked the house hardcore.  I would say that he was probably better than me, but I was not the judge.  There's not much point griping about it now, and he was just thrilled to be in the contest to begin with.

Heck, I was kinda suprized that I won second.  I've never won anything in a karaoke contest before.

FizzTheCarbonated

anime_angel_ash

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 04:34:46 pm »
*looks at original post, BIG sweatdrop* Well damn. *was the Lenne without glasses*

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 06:06:20 pm »
Yeah, because even though this is a thread for sharing your opinions, they have to be positive ones! No saying anything negative whatsoever, because someone might be hurt! Oh, dear me. We should definately not critique someone who's putting themself up for comments by joining a CONTEST. :roll:

COMMENTS do not have to be positive. This is an open forum for sharing negative thoughts AS WELL as positive, and if you can't take that, don't look at it. If you're entering a contest for anything, you're opening fire for whatever the world would like to throw at you, and it's not all gonna be sunshine and butterflies. If you can't take someone saying anything negative whatsoever about your performance, STOP PERFORMING.

Honestly? I agree with Blackjack. It wasn't the best filk, and I was sitting pretty close up front and still couldn't hear you. There were very few words changed, and while the performance/chair thing was pretty cool, I really didn't think the song itself was.

anime_angel_ash

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 07:40:11 pm »
This may sound strange coming from a person like me, but can we not jump down each other's throats? It looks to me like this thread has turned into an unnecessary fight when it was intended to just be a place to leave opinions about the performances.

Sakura wasn't my favorite and she was kind of hard to hear, but neither of those things were her fault. It was still a cute song and it fit well with her cosplay.

The Kyo did a very good job, even though that wasn't my type of music. The spasms were a nice touch.

Even though I know the guys, I have to say that Cloud and Dante's performance was kind of lacking up until the air-guitar bit (*shrug, sweatdrop* Sorry). However, that's one of the reason they won. It was funny. From what I could tell, Hybrid was more about making the cosplay work with the song than it was about anything else. It was also about being cute and funny, which is where they and Sakura pulled ahead (And apparently where my group fell short. That and, you know, I suck and all. *points at top post* Not that I'm bitter or anything... :wink:just kidding, don't worry).

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 08:24:05 pm »
I suppose that what bothered me was the way the critque was phrased.  I was taught that when one is giving critique, it should be constructive.  "I didn't like it," to me, is not constructive.  If it had been phrased, "I would have liked it better IF..." then I wouldn't have had a problem with it.  For instance, if we take:

I also didn't like the Sakura either. Her song was derivitive--all she did was replace a few words here and there; that's not filking, to me--and even with the vocal dampeners you couldn't hear her over the original track.

And rephrase it so:

I also didn't like the Sakura either.  I think her song would have been a little better if it was more original--the song was filked, but not as thouroughly as it could have been and that put me off--and maybe it was a problem with the sound system, but she was a little hard to hear.

That, to me, is constructive and inoffensive.  anime_angel_ash's comments were construtive and inoffensive.  Maybe other people don't have the training in offering critique that I've had--I'm studying digital art, and being able to give critique without offending the artist is an essential skill.  My critique of the Sword-Guitar Duo would go as follows:

I think your performance was pretty good, but it could have been better if you did more rocking out during the actual singing of the song, and not just during the guitar solo.  Maybe some sort of simple choreographed fist pumping, or like, going all Mick Jagger and dancing with the mic stand would be something to think about.  You had great timing, and while you don't neccessarily have opera-quality voices you did really well with the range you had.

See the difference?

And heck, for the record?  I didn't think my filk was the BEST ONE EVAR!!11!one either.  I think FilkAeris' are much better--she has an excellent grasp of meter, something I've always had a bit of trouble with.  But you know what?  I just went for it to have fun.  That's why I was in the Hybrid category--so I could go karaoke and have a lot of fun.  And I did.

FizzTheCarbonated

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 09:27:49 pm »
Saying why I didn't like the song--because it only had a few words replaced--wasn't constructive?

And go ahead and say who you didn't like. No one's stopping you.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2005, 09:42:49 pm »
Saying why I didn't like the song--because it only had a few words replaced--wasn't constructive?

And go ahead and say who you didn't like. No one's stopping you.

It's not that it wasn't constructive, it was that the way it was phrased was rather dismissive and a little insulting.

And frankly, Blackjack, I was unimpressed by your performance.  I feel that the song you chose was not something that suited your voice, so you had to do rather unnatural vocal contortions to perform it.  We could see and hear that it was not something comfortable to sing, so I think that detracted from the song as well.  Also, I think you are hampered by your use of a lyrics sheet.  If you didn't have one, I think you could connect with the audience a little better and sort of bring them into the performance rather than having them be spectators only.

FizzTheCarbonated

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2005, 09:57:41 pm »
The reason for the contorted voice was because that's how the VA sounds.

But you see? I'm not offended at all, and there's no reason that I would be.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 10:09:56 pm »
Ah, but I was very careful in the way I phrased my critique so that you wouldn't be offended, which was exactly the point.  If I had only said "You didn't sound good and you shouldn't have used a lyrics sheet," would you really still be unoffended?

Just think about the way you're phrasing your (general your) critique is all I'm really asking, okay?

FizzTheCarbonated

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 10:36:18 pm »
Well, I would have wanted to know why you thought what you did. You see the difference?

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 10:40:42 pm »
I do see the difference, and I respect that.  What I want to know is if you can see why the way you posted came off as being dismissive and a little insulting.

FizzTheCarbonated

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 11:01:58 pm »
No, not really. I gave my reasons and it wasn't a personal attack.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 11:06:18 pm »
I guess we have nothing more to say to each other, then.

FizzTheCarbonated

anime_angel_ash

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005, 06:33:46 am »
Erm...now that that's somewhat cleared up, would it be all right if I got your guys' opinions on my group's performance? I wasn't able to ask anyone but my friends before, and I'd like an honest and hard-handed critique, if anyone would care to give one.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 09:26:26 am »
Apply the golden rule here. Be as polite and respectful of others as you would expect them to be toward you. And we should all get along fine. Critiques are fine, but be aware that, particularly when not asked-for, they are going to be percieved as a slight or attack, and one should be very careful with them.

If I could go back and do one thing in karaoke this year I would get on the stage prior to all performances and tell everyone to project and be loud. Not as loud as the Haruka Kaneta guy, but the best vocal performers can make their voices heard well over the music.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Heavensclone

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:31 pm »
Which song did you sing again anime_angel?

anime_angel_ash

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 06:29:08 am »
Quote from: "Heavensclone"
Which song did you sing again anime_angel?

Myself and two other girls (one of which I believe to have the screenname Hikaru_maxwell) were the ones dressed up as a Yuna and two Lenne. We were the last performance, and we sang 1000 Words.

(It was pretty funny how people started waving their props and stuff during our song. That's a memory I'll be holding onto for a long time.  :D )

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
Be nice, please.
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 07:33:07 pm »
I was the karaoke director and judge in the contest. I'm also a site admin.

Play nice, or suffer my wrath.

I will be happy to critique anyone who would like to know what they could do to improve. BUT I will not tolerate anyone bashing someone for winning. Obviously, if three people came to the conclusion that someone deserved a prize, they probably did something to deserve the honor.

Jason (third place) was great, but was not in costume, as the rules of Karaoke/ COSPLAY dictated for the highest scores. He did well because he engaged the audience and played on the stage. I will not justify any other decisions made by the panel of judges. EVERYONE did a fantastic job.

Keep it clean. I want to see all of you back next year.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Anonymous

Re: Be nice, please.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2005, 07:42:29 pm »
Quote from: "Imari"

I will be happy to critique anyone who would like to know what they could do to improve. BUT I will not tolerate anyone bashing someone for winning. Obviously, if three people came to the conclusion that someone deserved a prize, they probably did something to deserve the honor.

Jason (third place) was great, but was not in costume, as the rules of Karaoke/ COSPLAY dictated for the highest scores. He did well because he engaged the audience and played on the stage. I will not justify any other decisions made by the panel of judges. EVERYONE did a fantastic job.

Keep it clean. I want to see all of you back next year.

Yes ma'am. ^_^;

While you're here, could you answer my previous question? I wanted some critique on my groups performance (the Yuna and Lenne's) including any criticism.

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
Thank you. And now the requested critique.
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2005, 07:55:59 pm »
But of course.

You gals sounded really wonderful during the parts where each of you sang separately. I was very impressed. To be honest, we were worried about the exchange of the mic from person to person, since it was not smooth during the audition, and we couldn't hear you all equally. The actual performance was very well done, with respect to the mic. We heard all of your talent without a problem.

The one thing I would work on, is the harmonizing. When you all sang together, the effect was very different. It was somewhat dissonent. (Meaning you were each about a quarter tone off of eachother.) Fixing this just takes practice. I would recommend listening to yourselves on a tape recorder, and warming up before hand.

I would love to see you back to compete next year.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

• Bunnygirl
Re: Be nice, please.
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 10:08:22 pm »
Quote from: "Imari"

Ok, honestly, I don't see any bashing going on.

But ok, what could I have done to improve? I was the one in the blue and yellow jumpsuit who did Spark!! from Digimon Frontier.

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
Hope this is helpful.
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 04:58:23 pm »
@ BlackJack

I think that we were mostly just thrown off by the vocals, though they were appropriate to the song.

You were very close score wise. I can tell you what you did right.

You engaged the audience. The waterbottle was precious, I really liked the forethought that went into it.  You sang in Japanese. Though almost everyone did, I still appreciate the amount of work that goes into learning to pronounce the words.

Other things we were looking for were

-does the costume match the song? I could totally picture Sakura singing "I need a Ninja", even if she didn't do a traditional filk.
-How much of a skit type thing went on? The more a person acted on stage the better, even if it was just to throw scrolls over the shoulder, or play air guitar swords.
-Were the people playing off eachother, if it was a group?
-Were they outgoing, or if not, were they really overcoming their fears to   perform? (I gave a judges choice in Idol for this.)

A person's voice didn't weigh as heavily in this contest, though it was a factor. I think, in the end that was really the only factor that edged you out. Of course, Dane and Zack were not strong singers, but the rest of their act outweighed this.

I know I've said this to everyone, but I MEAN IT! You were really good, and I'd like to see you sing again next year. I know you have a great chance of winning, because it means so much to you.

I hope this was helpful. I'm sorry you felt slighted. If you'd like I will ask the other judges for input to help you in the next competition.

Thanks for listening.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 10:46:15 pm »
All right, so it was mainly the voice then? (although I noticed you listed if the song fit the character--the song I did was the image song for the character I was dressed as)

If I do the one I hope to next year, it should be a lot better sounding.

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mushoku
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 11:45:58 pm »
Go Dante and Cloud!
Bamboo + Cellphone...I see possibilities....

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 05:43:13 am »
I may be one of the few who feels I totally sucked. ;.; and EVERYONE was better than me. Well except for one or two people, but I don't really remember who. :sigh: Not that it matters, everyone did well in my book cause they did it.

I think that Sakura was pretty good./ I was in the back and heard her fine over the original song. I thought it was creative, even if it didn't change all the lyrics. It still fit the character and the concept fine to me.

Unfortunatly I kinda broke down crying after my audition cause I knew I wouldn't make it to the contest. I appreciate that meg found me a spot at the end though. I had so much more fun at the actual contest and I didn't feel as nervous. I do plan to compete again next year, so,, I'm practicing now.
I hope to get over my feart so I dont run away crying again. ^^ I wanna be stronger and have more confidence like the other performers I really admire.

XD

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2005, 01:45:48 am »
Wow, all the happy feeling!  heh heh.  I was the Yuna in the contest singing 1000 words!  

@angel_leah:  Hi!!!!!!!!!

Anyway...thanks for the constructive criticism, guys!  And I admit, we could have worked on the harmony a little more.  XD

I can't wait till next year....which means I have to find Omniwarrior(or another cloud) 'cause I'm already making plans for the filk....*evil laughter*

but, yeah...off topic...he heh.

I really really liked the filk about cosplay....and the sakura....and the dantes...and the intel guy...well, basically, all the songs that made it were really good...although, the digimon one kinda threw me a bit.  (and one of hte main reasons I liked the sakura song, is because I was there for her audition, and therefore had a change to hear the lyrics at the right volume).

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~