Author Topic: What to do before the con starts....  (Read 4512 times)

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
What to do before the con starts....
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »
Yeah, some of us like to come to the con at least a day before it begins. So, with that said, for those of us who get our badges on day 0, or to you who come early and hang around, what do you like to do?

I have three options. Peruse the hotel pool, take in a movie at a cinema (lucky for me, this KC, there's a movie theatre within walking distance), and maybe have dinner somewhere (Joe's Crab Shack sounds nice....)

:D

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
Re: What to do before the con starts....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »
I normally just arrive there, get all of my stuff packed into the hotel room and what-not, wait a few hours in line to get checked into the con, then spend the rest of the day wandering around the hotels and swimming in the pool~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:38:56 pm »
Yup, once I get all checked in, I like to just steep in the pre-con atmosphere. I like to walk around the conspace, look for friends and just hang with no agenda (because what is the weekend if not one loooooooong agenda, lol).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »
well this year I have all my things packed and such but my hotel room isn't open till 4 so I guess that means leaving things in the car for a bit OwO

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »
unpack mostly.... that takes a lot of work especially this year

put together all the collapsable props, make sure my hotel room is in good order and mostly dealing with getting everyone to the room on time and making sure all persons are accounted for with ID, badge money or have it payed for already, cosplay, and all those necessities.

From there it's hitting up old con friends and just hanging around the lobby with other day 0 goers. Lotsa good fun to be had along with a simpley made day 0 cosplay, not to extravagant but still fun to hang out in.

But yeah for me it's mostly getting every body there on time so we can check in, sharing a room with a lot of people means a lot of organizing and making sure we all meet up.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
Oh, and familiarizing myself with the weekend's schedule! That's a huge one for me. Give me an hour and a highlighter, 'cause I love planning out what events and panels I want to check out for the weekend. Planning ahead can do wonders for con-joyment (and yes, I'm about to put 'con' at the beginning of everything...be ready for that).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:33 pm »
Because I cosplay princess peach, I have to spend quite a while ironing the dress. I generally go out to eat and just chill (maybe even read) because it's thefirst relaxation I'll have had because I'm generally working on props all the way up to midnight the night before.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »
Because I cosplay princess peach, I have to spend quite a while ironing the dress. I generally go out to eat and just chill (maybe even read) because it's thefirst relaxation I'll have had because I'm generally working on props all the way up to midnight the night before.

I feel your pain as a fellow princess peach cosplayer. That ironing is no fun indeed. Only bringing my short princess peach this year though, no super long gown to haul around and iron

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »
Well this yr will b our first yr coming on day 0 to the con and I'm pretty excited. I think it'll make it less stressful for us. We plan on driving up thurs and checking in Friday (we come from norcal). I'm excited to b able to check in, get our badges, and just hang out.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »

I feel your pain as a fellow princess peach cosplayer. That ironing is no fun indeed. Only bringing my short princess peach this year though, no super long gown to haul around and iron

I may not cosplay princess peach but I do cosplay Ciel in his ballgown outfit and let me tell you he needs ironed a lot ><

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »

aaa, but I don't mind because of the princess treatment! I hope you will come to the mario photoshoot :3

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
Well I get there early most of the time so I can get a good spot in line
and then after that I hang out and plan what I'm doing
and some of my friends want to play a few games
also last minute work on my panel
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »

aaa, but I don't mind because of the princess treatment! I hope you will come to the mario photoshoot :3
ahhhh I'm not one for photo shoots. If it's on Saturday I might change real fast and go over there? I dunno. I was only planning to wear my Peach on Friday actually.

oh yeah, I also cosplay on day 0. I dunno why but it just makes it more fun.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:45:13 pm »
It's on sunday haha. But I'm cluttering the thread.

Offline XxBelovedxSoubixX

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 01:10:30 am »
I usually get checked in and put my stuff on the hotel room. Go grab dinner and then go get checked in. Then go bum around the hotel or in our room. Check out the book and mark what panels we want to go to and be excited. XD

Kind of uneventful or special but it's nice. :3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 01:14:04 am »
I need to finish up on the details for my Slayers RPG.

I need to select what to use and what to cut for my Stand-Up Comedy panel.

I need to get my leggings, contacts, and waxing for my Sailor Neptune cosplay.

I need to get some gloves for my Oswald cosplay.

...I think that's it...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 01:15:59 am »
I'm so excited because this will be my first year in the hotel and the first year going to Day 0. I have no idea what I'll be doing because the day will probably consist of me running around in excitement XD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 01:20:25 am »
^ Just be sure to keep an eye out for walls and cars, and you should be okay. ;D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:14 am »
I have a lot to do before con, but am not sure how much I will get done.  This will be the first year where sewing isn't why I am so busy.

lets see

I have doctors appts, I know I will need another ultra sound before con, slew of baby related stuff,  on a day I am begging for punishment go to DMV for new ID card, then call up any establishment and notify them of the name change, including hotel, okay might have some sewing by hand for a costume.  Get a pug sitter, last min food stuff for con Thursday before con (for freshness)

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:28:42 pm »
^ Just be sure to keep an eye out for walls and cars, and you should be okay. ;D

XD don't worry, I'll have my friends to keep me out of the way of traffic. Then again, they might even try to push me into it if i get a little too annoying XDDDD but that's what friends are for

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »
wouldn't be  a problem if they let us drive bumper cars... :)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 08:23:03 pm »
I hurry to get my stuff ready, lol.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:24:42 pm by shikyo »

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
This year I plan on checking into my hotel around 3 on Day 0. I'm going to get settled into the room (unpack clothes and costumes into drawers and closet), then the Lolita meetup is going to be at 4:30, so I'll have to get ready for that. Then after the meetup I'm going to get my badge, get a hold of all of my friends that I basically only see at con, and hang out with them, maybe dinner, maybe dress up in hotel room, fun stuff. :) Before Day 0... I will be a slave to my sewing machine, serger, and hand sewing needles. XD
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Initial P

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 01:12:09 am »
If you're getting into town on Friday, come to Speed Up!! + Kumoricon Official Pre-Party, it's about 10-12 blocks or so away from the hotel! All ages too

Details here:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=264945120182195

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:40:36 am »
Oh! One thing that I ALWAYS do before the con is I read the manga Dramacon to get myself psyched. Works like a charm~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 06:04:14 am »
^ Haaaa! Me too! That is so perfect for getting into con-mode!

I also love to watch PeedeeFlo's Anime Expo videos on Youtube, and all the Anime Hunters episodes. Both get me psyched like nothing else. W00!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:59 pm »
I like watching the "Rules for the Masses" video from Neurotically Yours.  For awhile, I would post it once a year on the forums, then I stopped, but I've done it again this year!  MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 06:16:44 pm »
Oh yeah! Forgot about that one, heh. Gotta go watch it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ocb777

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:27 am »
For me it depends on the hotel, I pack my WDTV and a good supply of anime most people have never seen. RL has coaxil cable hookups on the TV, so I find a buddy and go watch the last 3 episodes of School Days again, and make jokes about "What if Ranma 1/2 had ended like that... "Akane's Nice Dojo Ending" LOL

I find day ZERO a chance to get settled make a new friend or two, and plan your packed weekend. Might be your last chance to relax.

Consistently cosplaying since 2008.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:06 am »
^ Your signature made me giggle for much longer than anything I've encountered lately, lol. Love that your cosplaying Walter, haha

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ocb777

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:09 am »
^ Your signature made me giggle for much longer than anything I've encountered lately, lol. Love that your cosplaying Walter, haha

Not actively. but hey, if the character fits... short hair, sunglasses, bigger guy... :D its all in the attitude. :D

Consistently cosplaying since 2008.