Author Topic: Advanced Cosplay panels 2011 - Props/Accessories and Sewing!  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
Advanced Cosplay panels 2011 - Props/Accessories and Sewing!
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:05:27 pm »
Hi all! I just realized how soon Kumoricon is coming up (ack!) and thought I'd better start prepping for my panels this year. I'm giving Props & Accessories and Sewing: Beyond the Basics again - for those who have been before, you'll know that while some things are the same every year, a lot is different because what determines the content is what YOU want to hear about! These aren't lectures where you're just supposed to sit and listen - it's all about your questions. :) So because this con is within driving distance for me, I can bring a lot of pieces to actually show, pass around, and share visual demonstrations of how stuff that I have made actually works so that you can get the idea of how to do it yourself. :D I can't bring a lot of really big things (I'm only one person, after all!) but I'm taking suggestions for stuff to bring and/or talk about. Here's some examples of what I usually bring to show:

-A back plate for mounting wings inside a corset without shoulder straps required (and while I'm at it, said corset, and some examples of what materials to look for when making one)
-an armor piece or two made with Wonderflex, plastic canvas, and/or craft foam
-Lights! LEDs, fiberoptics, electroluminescent wire, and now I have electroluminescent tape to show too!
-a giant gem not made of resin, for those who want an alternative to resin-casting your own
-fun feet for your sewing machine so you can find out how to make it do cool things like ruffle your fabric for you
-samples of unusual fabrics to share techniques for sewing them (fake fur, vinyl, etc...)
-a mockup to demonstrate pattern alteration and draping your own pattern pieces to get a costume that fits you better
-examples of embroidery and applique

I'm also going to try to be organized enough this year to actually make a handout with lots of useful links for where to get the materials and such that I'll be talking about. But I'm taking suggestions now for what to bring, so let me know if there's anything in particular that you'd like to see! :D

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
Re: Advanced Cosplay panels 2011 - Props/Accessories and Sewing!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:13 pm »
Uh.... All of them! :D

no, but seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing some armor construction.

Something else I've been trying to do - how to make wood look like metal - if you have something like that.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:24:23 am »
I have been kicking around the idea of making the tactical gear that is worn by Deunan Knute from Appleseed.  It's not exactly armor but I'm sure the process would be similar to your armor.  Please bring.

Offline SasamiChan

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »
I like these two best:

-a giant gem not made of resin, for those who want an alternative to resin-casting your own
-a mockup to demonstrate pattern alteration and draping your own pattern pieces to get a costume that fits you better

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:59:48 pm »
OK, as requested I am putting my list of links here, since when I tried to put them on the projector during the panel they weren't exactly readable. These are only some of the places to get cool stuff out there, but hopefully it'll be of use anyway. :)

Wonderflex:            
   www.cosplaysupplies.com
   www.dazian.com
EL wire:
   www.coolight.com
EL tape:
    www.lighttape.com
LED earrings:
   www.night-ice.com
Small computer fans, electronics supplies:
   Radio Shack
   Fry's
Various plastics:
   www.tapplastics.com
Various raw materials, safety gear, tools, etc:
   Home Depot
   Lowe's
   Ace Hardware
Latex prosthetics, especially a large variety of elf ears (they have fangs and other things, too):
   www.aradanicostumes.com
Hard plastic (not latex) elf ears, cat ears, etc:
   http://yayahan.bigcartel.com/
Wigs:
   http://cyperous.com/english/index.html
   www.amphigory.com
Beads, Rhinestones, and other Sparkly Bits:
   www.dreamtimecreations.com
   www.firemountaingems.com
   www.plasticbeadswholesale.com
Corsetry supplies:
   www.farthingalesla.com
   www.corsetmaking.com
Hoop skirts, crinolines:
   www.mygowns.com
Bodysuits and other dancewear:
   www.riversedgedancewear.com
Fake fur:
   www.mendels.com
Feathers:
   www.rainbowfeatherco.com
Ethnic/historical patterns:
   www.folkwear.com

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:11:07 pm »
OK, as requested I am putting my list of links here, since when I tried to put them on the projector during the panel they weren't exactly readable. These are only some of the places to get cool stuff out there, but hopefully it'll be of use anyway. :)

THANK YOU!!!!!