Author Topic: Kumoricon PhotoBooth 2011  (Read 9451 times)

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
Kumoricon PhotoBooth 2011
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:22:24 pm »
Now the countdown gets serious as we plan & prep for Kumoricon 2011. This will be my third consecutive year running PhotoBooth at Kumoricon.

The first year I offered free time in PB & charged for the images online. I got swamped with people & had a blast. But did not turn a profit.

The second year I charged for PB time & gave away the images. PB got slow & borring at times but I was able to spend a great deal of time with a few really interesting subjects. I still lost money.

Both years I had a lot of fun, got 100's of great images, and met really cool people. What I have in mind for this year is again new. Free PB time & free images with a tip jar in PB. My photography is my hobby so anything I earn goes into new equipment to make future PhotoBooth's even better. If 10% of con comes to PhotoBooth & half of them donate $10 - $20 each, then next year I will have more lights & more ways to make PB even better. If I dont make money then "oh well" I had fun, met cool people, & got 100's of great images. Also, a fellow photographer experienced at running PhotoBooths made a impression with me that boiled down to "If there is no profit, there is no reason." That impression gave me a very clear view of somthing I do not want to emulate. Thus, This year in PB at Kumoricon is all about the fun.  :)

This year I will also spend the majority of my time at con in PhotoBooth rather than trying to shoot the whole event and PB. I will shoot a few of the sub-events (opening / closeing, Cosplay chess) but you will find me in PB most of Kumoricon.

Please bring a USB drive with you with at least 3gig of free space if you want to play in PhotoBooth. I should be able to put images on your USB drive within about 30min of your time in PB*. You will get the original RAW file of each image as well as a full size jpg without watermarking (suited for printing) plus a small jpg with watermarks (Kumoricons' & Mine) suited for online use. If PB gets super busy me & my team may need more than 30min to give you your images. I will have some blank DVD's I can burn for those that forget a USB, but that can get spendy on top of other con costs. Please remember your USB drive.

At con I will be on the 2nd floor of the Hilton in the "Birch" room. I have been told by Jamiche that I will really like the space the con has in mind for me. Props to Jamiche for making PhotoBooth possible at con for three years now. Hazzah Jamiche!!!!!!!! :D

Here is my "Studio Samples" gallery on my web page with many images from cons past
http://www.seespottprint.com/My-Work/Studio-Samples/12961583_CkWMu#1017602890_8vBZM

My latest gallery on my On The Spott PhoTography Facebook page is "Cosplay'n with Spott". Take a look, this & more are coming with me to con.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/101919489897497/

www.SeeSpottPrint.com 8)

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
Re: Kumoricon PhotoBooth 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:24:16 pm »
I personally would love too do this because I would love to get a pic of my ciel :D

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »
i've always wanted to try i just might have to this year
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »
Ah, i might want to try this :'3 How much is it, by the way?

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:05:03 pm »
^They've stated in the OP that this year is free, but there will be a tip jar if you wish to donate to help upgrade the gear for future years.

I'll def. try to stop by this year, since I haven't in previous years~ c:
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
I hope I can stop by~! I've never done it before!  :D

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »
^They've stated in the OP that this year is free, but there will be a tip jar if you wish to donate to help upgrade the gear for future years.

I'll def. try to stop by this year, since I haven't in previous years~ c:

Oh ok ^^; Sorry, i didn't see that.

Offline LigerZeroLindsey

• Sailor Scout
    • Liger Zero Lindsey's Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:07:10 am »
Awesome! I was going to ask if there was a photo booth P:

I will defiantly bring my Zoids suit and fursuit into the photobooth, and if I can I will leave a tip. Thanks for the information I will note myself to bring a drive!
2013 Costumes:
Liger Zero Panzer
Kuhori the Wolf
Tang the Fusky
Okami Amaterasu

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:13:11 am »
I have a question. Can i bring more then one cosplay into the photobooth? I would love to get pictures of both my Italy cosplay and my Russia cosplay.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:15:17 am by Saki-the-cat »

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:36:11 pm »
If PhotoBooth is super busy then I would prefer to keep it down to one cosplay per attendee. But if it really is that busy I will not be able to remember who has or has not been in. My concern is that everyone who wants PB time can get it and I don't get burned out in the process. If PB is slow then there will be plenty of time for multiple cosplays per attendee. Lets play it by ear & see how popular PB turns out to be this year.

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:11:28 pm »
Ooo this sounds awesome, the last time I ever got a professional photo of my cosplay was Kcon 06...lol And I will certainly tip as it makes me very happy when people tip me at my work so I know it will make you happy. :)

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »
I've never done the photobooth before. looks like this is my chance! but which cosplay to bring...

oh, is there a limit to how many people can be in the pictures? Like, me and the three people i'm going with are doing Pokemon cosplays on day three so would we be able to take pictures with all of us in them?

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:17:27 pm »
I've never taken part in the Photobooth before, but last year you did snag a photo of me! Your work really speaks for itself. I ended up browsing through all your K-con and Photobooth photos from last year and was blown away! This year I'd love to get the whole Depp Squad for it. We should be able to stop by if you have time!

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
As for a limit on how many people I can shoot at once in PhotoBooth.... I can squeeze at most 10 people in front of the 10' wide backdrop. If the subjects have small cosplay & are comfortable posing quite close together. I don't start sweating "too many people at once" until 8, then after that there are ways to make just about anything workable. One of the reasons I do PhotoBooth at cons is to teach myself new ways to overcome studio challenges, large groups are one of those challenges.

Oh hell yes I want the Depp Squad in PB this year. I wanted to shoot all three of you last year, but schedules did not work out. The one shot of my daughter & Capt Jack Sparrow has become a personal favorite. The Sparrow, Sweeney, & Hatter characters are some of her faves. Some fun shots with all three of cosplays would be great shots for con. I plan to be in PB at all times except Opening / Closing & Chess, so there should be plenty of time. I will be staying open late (midnight-ish). I will also be leaving a white board outside PB for attendees to leave me messages while I am at one of the sub events or just out getting some food.

Everybody - - - Please remember to bring a USB drive with at least 2 gig of free space so you can take you PB images home from Kumoricon.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 07:26:34 pm »
Oh hell yes I want the Depp Squad in PB this year. I wanted to shoot all three of you last year, but schedules did not work out. The one shot of my daughter & Capt Jack Sparrow has become a personal favorite. The Sparrow, Sweeney, & Hatter characters are some of her faves. Some fun shots with all three of cosplays would be great shots for con. I plan to be in PB at all times except Opening / Closing & Chess, so there should be plenty of time. I will be staying open late (midnight-ish). I will also be leaving a white board outside PB for attendees to leave me messages while I am at one of the sub events or just out getting some food.

Awesome! We'll definitely make it work then. Would it be easier for you if we set up a time/day to come in, or should we just go with the flow?

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 12:03:39 am »
Lets go with the flow & just plan on getting it done rather than sweat exactly when. 80% ish of my awake time at con will be in PhotoBooth, I expect to be busy but not so busy that I cant dedicate time to cosplays that go above & beyond like the Depp Squad.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »
You got it! We'll see you at the con! (And thank you!!) ;) Can't wait to see the photos you get this year!

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 12:04:29 am »
I NEED TO FIND THIS!!! lol I've always wanted to go to it but I could never seem to manage to find it *fails with directions and maps*

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 11:23:32 am »
Wow I am a surprised Spott!!!

PhotoBooth is more popular than I expected so far. I have had more people contact me before con for specific shoots. As a result my schedule looks like it is getting pretty full. I have a small list started of those with specific PB requests. If you are planning to have time in PB and are bringing great cosplay I want to be able to dedicate a good amount of time to those that go above & beyond in their cosplay. Please contact me here on this forum thread or on my Facebook Photography page http://www.facebook.com/groups/101919489897497/

No one will be turned away from PhotoBooth, however those with the most elaborate cosplay will get the most time in PB.

Also, please remember your flash drive with at leat 2 gig of free space so you can take your pics home from con.

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »
Thanks for that info~ n.n

So (just for clarification), anyone can still go to the PB w/o scheduling?

Offline LigerZeroLindsey

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 04:24:53 pm »
Wait do we have to make an appointment?
2013 Costumes:
Liger Zero Panzer
Kuhori the Wolf
Tang the Fusky
Okami Amaterasu

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:41 am »
Not everyone has to make a "appointment" I will be in PB about 80% of the time I am at con. So there should be time for all that want to Cosplay with Spott. Those that have VERY interesting, complex or intricate cosplay will need more time in PB to get the great images all of us want. What I am asking is that anyone with really above-&-beyond cosplay or complex requests contact me before con to plan a shoot. No one will be turned away from PB. However, if I am working with a attendee that has the outstanding cosplay the wait for that session to be done could be 20 - 30 min. In the past I have had to rush one shoot to get to the next one. As a result of that I can see a diminished image quality. I am trying to avoid that this year.

Offline LigerZeroLindsey

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
Well I have been told mine is Above and Beyond lmao, but im not sure i wanna make an appointment, but if it will make things easier I think I will find a time when I can.
2013 Costumes:
Liger Zero Panzer
Kuhori the Wolf
Tang the Fusky
Okami Amaterasu

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 03:08:48 am »
YESS!! I am doing this again this year!!! =D

I had a question...

My sister and I are from the same anime. If we want our own shots but some together how does that work? I'd also if I can, like a crossover pic of my boyfriends character from another anime with mine. =D

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline miko murphy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 01:02:23 pm »
Hi Im staffing at the info booth and was told so that I can make sure my hours work I should try to set a time to get my pictures. I've never gone to photobooth before.
2009 attendee 2010 attendee 2011 info booth staff

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »
Thank you to all that came by to PhotoBooth. Plus huge thank ou to my On The Spott team (Bob, Kevin, Christy, Ashly, & Rob). I had a great time & got many shots to be proud of. I know I shot !!!OVER 4000!!! images & am sorting as fast as I can while i am being Dad, working my real job, & dealing with major repair of drains at my home.

Those PB guests that did not have opportunity to pick up their images at con will get a gallery on my web page where they can download jpegs for free. Plus I will have the galleries for Opening, Chess, & Closing posted. All total please give me 7-10 days before asking "Where are the pictures?".

Again thank you to My Team, Event management & staff, the venue, & all the attendees. My plan is to do it again next year as long as con & the attendees want me back. I also have a goal of doing PhotoBooth at more events around the NorthWest. I chatted with the folks from Norwescon http://www.norwescon.org/ about the potential of my On The Spott PhotoBooth being at Norwescon. The idea has been planted with the management & now is the time to fertilize & grow that idea. I am also very motivated to run PhotoBooth at Steamcon & Sakuracon in 2012, as well as Kumoricon, Norwescon, Seadogs, Tortuga & a few more. I enjoy what I do with my camera & the people I meet at all these events. My success & popularity at Kumoricon have really lit the fire for me in moving forward in my goal towards earning the title of Professional Photographer.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 07:58:49 am »
the photobooth people did an amazing job in taking my BRK pics-- its quite sad my contacts ruined the pics...

can i get permission to edit it (just the eyes)??
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Chandra Nalaar

• Sailor Scout
    • My Pictures
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 03:48:20 pm »
Totally worth the hours-long wait. Thanks, guys.

Offline LadyFiede

• Sailor Scout
    • FB
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »
I wanna say thanks for doing what you did, it was really awesome getting my pic taken professionally. :D I can't wait till i can see how they all turned out. ^^ Oh, do we have permission to re-post em to Facebook?  Or Photoshop out imperfections? XD

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »
Hey Spott,

Have you considered perhaps doing appointments during some set hours?  That could help with those who know they are going to take advantage of the photobooth.  This may limit the long lines for walk-ins and allow for a more relaxed shoot with time to really play.  There could then also be separate hours for walk-ins for those who decide to do the impromptu thing.  Thoughts?  I have also decided I will be staffing next year, and I'd love to find some time to help you out.  I am an avid photographer myself and wouldn't mind assisting with the images/equipment/etc.. perhaps even taking some shots myself with my camera (I'm the Canon girl who dressed as the big cloud ;))  I'll be around and on the forums.  Let me know :)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 09:45:29 pm »
I'm sad I didn't make it this year.
I would really like to come to this if it's open next year!
I always feel my costumes aren't up to par for a full on shoot, and I never remember to take pictures myself of them. But if there is a time for walk-ins for maybe 3-9 frames or something, that'd be really nice.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 08:37:57 pm »
Thank you to all that came by to PhotoBooth. Plus huge thank ou to my On The Spott team (Bob, Kevin, Christy, Ashly, & Rob). I had a great time & got many shots to be proud of. I know I shot !!!OVER 4000!!! images & am sorting as fast as I can while i am being Dad, working my real job, & dealing with major repair of drains at my home.

Those PB guests that did not have opportunity to pick up their images at con will get a gallery on my web page where they can download jpegs for free. Plus I will have the galleries for Opening, Chess, & Closing posted. All total please give me 7-10 days before asking "Where are the pictures?".

Again thank you to My Team, Event management & staff, the venue, & all the attendees. My plan is to do it again next year as long as con & the attendees want me back. I also have a goal of doing PhotoBooth at more events around the NorthWest. I chatted with the folks from Norwescon http://www.norwescon.org/ about the potential of my On The Spott PhotoBooth being at Norwescon. The idea has been planted with the management & now is the time to fertilize & grow that idea. I am also very motivated to run PhotoBooth at Steamcon & Sakuracon in 2012, as well as Kumoricon, Norwescon, Seadogs, Tortuga & a few more. I enjoy what I do with my camera & the people I meet at all these events. My success & popularity at Kumoricon have really lit the fire for me in moving forward in my goal towards earning the title of Professional Photographer.

You were EXCELLENT. Thank you SO MUCH for doing it!
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »
Thank you for doing the photobooth. I think those were the only pictures taken of me the second day so I look forward to them with anticipation and patience.  :)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:29 am »
This year was the first year my friends and I went to photobooth, and we loved it!!! We already plan 100% that we are going to go to photobooth again. It was amazing.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »
So glad we were able to do Photobooth this year! It's a bummer our Hatter wasn't Hatter, but I greatly look forward to seeing the photos you took of us!

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »
Update, Im about 3/4 of the way uploading galleries for subjects. The "Email on the whiteborad" process makes private galleries much more feasible, (unexpected bonus). Some images are getting a basic color correction because I was a fool & did not turn off the room lights while shooting. So many images have a orange color cast from those lights. The Monday images I have not even sorted by group yet.

For those of you that picked up your images at con. You got the original Raw ".NEF" files. The software made by Nikon to view & do BASIC changes is available for free from the Nikon web page here. It is called "View NX 2".

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/NVNX2/ViewNX-2.html

Feel free to edit the images to your hearts content as long as you meet these three mandates. Be respectful to the subject. Be respectful to the event. Be respectful to me. If you do anything really cool please send me a link.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 12:24:33 am »
Saddly I haven't gotten an email yes with my pictures but I am pacient.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 02:30:07 am »
Update, Im about 3/4 of the way uploading galleries for subjects. The "Email on the whiteborad" process makes private galleries much more feasible, (unexpected bonus). Some images are getting a basic color correction because I was a fool & did not turn off the room lights while shooting. So many images have a orange color cast from those lights. The Monday images I have not even sorted by group yet.

For those of you that picked up your images at con. You got the original Raw ".NEF" files. The software made by Nikon to view & do BASIC changes is available for free from the Nikon web page here. It is called "View NX 2".

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/NVNX2/ViewNX-2.html

Feel free to edit the images to your hearts content as long as you meet these three mandates. Be respectful to the subject. Be respectful to the event. Be respectful to me. If you do anything really cool please send me a link.

I appreciate your attention to detail. :)

Will you by chance be posting a master gallery with all of the images or do you think that would be a breach of privacy? I personally would love to see all of the pictures you took.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline katsumiko2012

• Cabbit
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »
Umm, It's been about two weeks since Spott's last post. I still haven't received my pictures in my e-mail.  :-[ Has anyone else not gotten their pictures yet? I've also checked Spott's gallery, and I haven't found anything there either. any advice?
KumoriCon '11- Claire Redfield -Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Future Cosplays:
   Princess Zelda- LoZ: Twilight Princess
   Yomi - Azumanga Daioh
   Turret- Portal 2

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »
I haven't gotten my photos as well. :(

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 07:23:35 pm »
Anyone gotten photos yet?

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 10:36:36 pm »
Yes. He may still be working on some of them though.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done