Author Topic: Looking for the players from Phelps' game  (Read 9180 times)

Offline Squeek

• Oni
Looking for the players from Phelps' game
« on: September 05, 2005, 08:28:25 pm »
hey its Squeek, for the people that said find them on the forums (or anyone else) post so i know how to contact you!!

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
Just getting things started...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:12:44 pm »
I will be working on improving the game I ran over the next few months getting ready for Orycon in November.

So let me know what you thought of the game and what needs to improve (besides the character gen....)  

I will look for a spreadsheet style character sheet and email the characters back to anyone who would like them.  We have several players in my group that are proficient at getting excel sheets built that streamline character gen, and with my laptop we may even be able to make things fast enough to gen characters there without loosing too much time.  

Also, forgive me, but I can't remember the name of the person who was Wolfwood.  If you could post for me I have an idea or two about the cross I want to bounce off ya, some things occurred to me on the way home last night that could be fun and easy to build (cheap too).

See ya at the next con,
Mr_Phelps (aka Mike)
Avatar is "Othar Tryggvassen" from GirlGeniusOnline.net

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:35:17 pm »
Hey guys, this is Matt (Wolfwood from the BESM group in the haunted mansion). Glad someone got the thread up for this since I pretty much fell asleep as soon as I got back to the apartment, heh.

Anyway, it's good to hear back from you guys again, we had a good group going there. Hopefully we'll see the others posting here soon, too. I'm currently up to my ears in final project work but I figured I'd peel myself away from that to check the post-con aftermath on the forums, heh.

As far as the cross goes, I'm definately open to suggestions, Mike. I figure I might as well look into working on the unwrapped version here soon since at a bare minimum I've got to repair the old one now (the top cracked along a fault while loading it into the car, in case anyone who wasn't there is wondering what I'm talking about). I've given it some thought but I've yet to come up with a real solid solution that wouldn't weigh more than I do, heh.

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
The nice thing about knowing MEs...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:27:28 pm »
Alex uses Pro-E at work, which is a great 3-D modelling engine for some of the ideas that he and I were kicking around.  He also has access to a rapid prototype machine that we could do scale models of.

That and lots of spare electronics junk around my apartment (microcontrollers and such) could lead to some interesting concepts.  I think it might be fun to work on...

So get me in to the guild-thing and we can talk in more detail.  Don't want to give away any trade secrets here. 8)

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
About that guild thing...
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:50:35 pm »
Just waiting for the admin to get back to me and we can start using the mail system to work out the details of the projects for next year.

Are you going to Sakuracon in March?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: About that guild thing...
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 05:10:18 pm »
Quote from: "Mr_Phelps"
Just waiting for the admin to get back to me and we can start using the mail system to work out the details of the projects for next year.

Are you going to Sakuracon in March?

Give it a day or two.  Admin doesn't always check everyday sometimes but don't worry, they'll probably see this thread soon.

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
No guild hall happiness...
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 11:35:08 am »
I don't think the admin approved my request to join your guild Matt, so it looks like we'll have to use this forum as a starting point.

After your finals are over, do you think you can look for CAD files of the Wolfwood cross?  That would be a great jumpstart on working out moving parts for the cross.  I have some other stuff that might be pretty cool, but don't want to reveal it on this forum. :P

Talk to ya later,
Mike

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
Huzzah, I'm in!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 08:24:22 pm »
Now I need you to mail me in the guild, Matt.  I don't know your nick yet.

I also think that I'm going to switch to an optional rule in the BESM book for armour class.  You take your armour bonus and add 10 to it.  That becomes the DC that I have to beat.

I think that if I have an NPC in the group that is abducted at the start of the mission with a player that has a "link" with that NPC should get us a direction finder.  Of course, just having an orb that does the same thing might be easier.

I also looked over the rules for the "herd".  They could have been MUCH worse.  *shudder*

Later

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:24:57 am »
Auch, sorry about the delay! I tried to get on here during downtime one night and the forums were down then almost completely forgot about it during finals. Anyway, I'm done with all that and I'm here now. I'll mail you on the guildportal thing, probably best if I provide you with alternate contact info since I don't check the site that often (I see most the people there on a near-daily basis, heh).

I like the 10+AC rule, myself, but I'm used to D&D.

EDIT: This spelling check thing is really annoying.

Offline Squeek

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 10:01:38 pm »
hey guys sorry i haven't posted in a while school started the Thursday after the con so ive been busy(damn high school, i have had senioritis sense freshmen year...)

i agree with the switching the ac system to the DnD rules, much more simple

if any one can we should try to get a website with login and a chat room so we could play out side of cons and if a log of all the post so if someone misses a session then they dont have to be told what happened(if i make no sense then tell me)

also has anyone herd from damn i cant remember his name but the guy who was kain the longshot, if we are to get a site to play online then i know how to get in contact with the nuker(Ashley) and the flashlight herd owner (i cant remember his name either) but i havent herd from the guy who played the samurai

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
Sorry, but I don't do the chat roleplay thing
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 07:29:22 pm »
Might now I just don't have the time to do an internet based game.  I'm trying to get the characters set up for Orycon, and changing the main plot thread.  It should run much smoother next time, and all the characters will have built in hooks.

Getting even more into the Ranma-esque theme, just need to work on some props and a better map system.

Fighting a cold on top of all that... :(

However, after Orycon (in Nov.) we can work on getting a real game going.

Offline Squeek

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
ok ill have a site up if we ever want to play online

Offline Doom Bunny

• Cabbit
    • http://lan.skinned.net/newforums
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 10:05:30 am »
Sorry it took so long, but I am here. Things have been crazy. In case you don't remember the Doom Bunny, this is Kendle, the Gun Bunny from the BESM game.

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
Hey, been pretty quiet here
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 11:13:28 am »
I've been busy trying to get things going in the lab.  Got all my stuff set up just to find that the development board I was going to use is too old and there isn't software to support it any more.  So another $100 that I really don't have is spent to get the new one.  But once it gets here...  Bwahahahaha!

As far as the game goes, I will be going to  Orycon in Nov. but I think I'll just play for a change.  (I usually run a Stargate session, but my old group has all my books.)

If you can make it, its a sci fi/fantasy con that has been running for 27 years now, though this is the first year we will be downtown.  

As far as the BESM game, I've been thinking over making all the characters have some form of martial arts (kinda Ranma style) and toning down the min/max characters to make them more balanced.  

If anyone wants to help me out with that project, let me know and I'll get ya my PM so we can trade files back and forth.

About the lab...
I was working on a computer hardware degree in college and actually learned a bit about microcontrollers.  I've been working on a pet project for a long time on and off, but I finally have most of the pieces now to really get going on it.  While I was looking at the gear most people were wearing at the con I noticed that there wasn't much in the way of electronics involved and for an anime setting that is kinda puzzling.   Even just a couple of Washu gadgets would be expected...    So its time to start trying to put some together!  Of course, have to start with some small projects first.  I'll keep ya posted on progress as the project gets going.

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
Mad lab coming along nicely...
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 02:18:24 pm »
Finally have the dev board up and running, just tracking down a few connectors for the expansion board.  Then its diving into the experiments!

Now I need to start working on ideas for projects in costuming that can use tech special effects.  Still think the cross would be fun to play with, and I'm starting to have parts to do that, though the wonderflex is not in the budget for at least a month or so.  Besides, working out the control and mechanisms beforehand means we can match the shape to the gear we build.  (Gotta work out a CO2 powered nerf launcher...)

Was also looking into cold neon wire for other special effects.  Have to keep budget in mind for that one too.  

So brainstorm and see if you can think of any cool things that we might be able to try...

Offline Squeek

• Oni
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 07:18:03 pm »
hmm good question ill have to delve into random cool geek things to find that out, but ill get back to you on that.

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
BESM 3rd ed. is coming out mid-April
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 01:02:26 pm »
I've already ordered my copy, and should have everything set to play when the con rolls around.

I've decided to revert back to the tri-stat system as it works better for an anime style game (less about mini-wargaming and more about roleplay).

If anyone wants to retool thier character from our game (no min-max style characters) let me know and we can start working it out.  The tri-stat system is flexible and I haven't seen anything that we did that can't be done easily.  (Even the Kodachi character - shudder...)

(And this time, the house will be ready...  :twisted: )

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
More on the game...
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 01:10:20 pm »
Almost forgot, this will be a Ranma 1/2 style game.  So choose any of the Nerima wrecking crew (no adults) except Ranma or Akane.  You can change the name if you like, and we can work out any shape change should you want it.  

Just remember, blatant misuse of changing ability will meet the disaproval of the Jusenkyo guardians.  (That would be...  bad, very bad.)

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 01:29:10 am »
So.. busy.. ugh.

Life has been crazy, sorry I've lost touch with those I ran into in K-Con last year. I'm not familiar with the setting (Yes, gasp, I know, I haven't seen Ranma 1/2. Some day. When I have time. And access...) for the new campaign, may or may not be Yojimbo (would like to be), so I'll definately stop by but I can't gurantee I'll be available to play.

As far as the cross goes, Mr. Phelps, it's likely I'd actually have some decent budget for cosplay this year but I'm not sure whether or not I'll bring back the Wolfwood costume this year. It'd be fun to have the cross, though... hrm. I'd really like to get a Roy Mustang cosplay put together, but we'll see how that works out. Definately need to watch more FMA...

On another note, did I lose your name on my messenger list or have you just not been on recently? I'll keep an eye out for you after I get the internet installed at my new place around Sunday-nightish.

Anyway... back to my last final project. Whee.