Author Topic: What do you do when you're bored from the con?  (Read 6584 times)

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
What do you do when you're bored from the con?
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:29:38 am »
You know, there will be times during this con (or any con, for that matter) where we just feel bored from it, or there's nothing to do that is to your liking (in regards to that, YMMV as to what you like there).

So, let me ask you all now: What do you do to fill the time during your so called 'con down time'? For some of us staying at a hotel- I tend to take brief naps, watch TV, call my relatives back home, and, get ready for this- hit the hotel pool! Aah, nothing like a refreshing swim in the hotel pool to take a load off. :D

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
Re: What do you do when you're bored from the con?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
Well, when I'm wandering on my own, I take very few breaks but I'm a little more merciful with company. xD In such a case, we find a cozy corner to sit down and just let our minds wander while people/cosplay watching. (This is very helpful if you get easily overwhelmed with all the activity going on and just need to take a step back and play the observer for a change.) Now, if it was just me alone, I'd sometimes head back to my hotel room to take a short breather: drink, snack, take off my wig, etc. before getting ready to head out again. Any other down times of mine would be lunch and dinner. :3

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:08:29 pm »
If I am bored (rarely happens at Kumoricon) I take the time to visit the dealers hall and or go get food. If I am bored that is the perfect time to wonder away from the con to take care of my body. However, I spend most of the con hanging out with my friends and go to very few panels (I actually think this year I will probably go to the most I have ever been to. I'm going to probably go to 6 for sure but maybe more). I typically walk around with my friends at cons and take pictures or have my picture taken. There is little time when I am bored. Even when I go get food it is typically tracking down my friends and seeing if they want anything rather than being by my self and have nothing to do so I go eat.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:13:24 pm »
I'm not usually "bored" at Kumoricon, but sometimes when there's no pannels or photoshoots going on that look interesting to me, i tend to hang out in the dealers hall or sing/watch in the karaoke room. I also tend to go up to my hotel room and take a short rest from walking around so much. You know, take off my shoes and wig and whatever other larger cosplay i have, watch some TV, eat a snack, maybe even get in the shower for a few minutes to wash away some of the sweat. There's also the pool which is really fun and relaxing ^^

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:02:19 pm »
Drink.

A lot.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:34:59 pm »
Boredom at a con? Never heard of it.

During the day I am working my butt off and doing panels.

At night, I party a little bit.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »
^ Same for me during the day, but at night I attend panels or work at them.

Another thing I do is try to take these opportunities to eat, and I mean more than just an apple or something...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:33:35 pm »
I love sitting back and admiring everyone's cosplays who walk past. However, my friends find that boring and i have a thing about not separating from them so i don't get to enjoy the people watching as much as I'd like to. ^^;

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:32:40 pm »
Volunteer ^.^

That's how I started getting into this whole staff thing.
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:03 am »
This year should that happen I can see going swimming, or maybe wandering the dealers hall, it depends on what time of day.  It never hurts to go to a veiwing room and just chill, you can meet nice people that way too.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Lylandra76

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:07:18 am »
The only other con I have been to was Sakuracon and when I got "bored" I went to the amv theater that ran practically all con and watched amv's. When I couldn't focus on the amvs anymore I went to my hotel and crashed for a few hours. I think I might get some more sleep this time as I am staffing at registration. We shall see I may just come home on monday and die till tuesday. What ever happens I plan to have a blast and not get stressed out working.  ;D

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:14:28 am »
Boredom? What is that you speak of?? I think swiming would be cool but out of the question as my makeup is way to much work to waste
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita
Day One - Maka (Soul Eater) With Scythe and soul eater group
Day Two - Konan with Naruto group
Day Three - To be decided
Day four - Slants groupie

Order of costumes subject to change.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:07 am »
The only other con I have been to was Sakuracon and when I got "bored" I went to the amv theater that ran practically all con and watched amv's.

The AMV theater was greeeeaaaat. I hope that as Kumoricon grows, something like that can be worked in (though I think right now the con's a bit small for it). It was nice to be able to chill there for a while when the con got two overwhelming, without feeling like you were completely removing yourself from the con and missing everything like I would've felt leaving to go back to the hotel.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:55:03 am »
Boredom? What is that you speak of??

haha, Exactly. I've never had a dull moment at Kumoricon. I may have had some undesirable moments (*coughahem2009coughcough*), but never boring, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jam112383

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:27 am »
There is always something to do and if you are with a friend then all problems are soslved :D
Day Zero - Gothic Lolita
Day One - Maka (Soul Eater) With Scythe and soul eater group
Day Two - Konan with Naruto group
Day Three - To be decided
Day four - Slants groupie

Order of costumes subject to change.

Offline Randonarnold

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:57:26 am »
I've only been to k-con once, and another convention. But I tend to just sit down somewhere and just rest, or check out the dealers room, or get food. A few times I've checked viewing rooms and other stuff, but they're not too exciting for me.

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 08:06:46 pm »
I "people watch". haha. I like to sit down and watch people go by because chances are I'm always going to see a new cosplay that I probably wouldn't have seen had I not sat down and watched. :)

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:14:49 pm »
I often go solo so If I am not in the video room I am people watching or I might whip out my drawing pad and do a little drawing practice.

Offline Randonarnold

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 04:49:04 am »
This year though, I'll probably take a lot more photos, and stuff; So I'm going to try to not go to a ton of panels. But who knows, I know this con will be fun. :(

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 09:38:00 am »
Me I'll be wandering the Dealers Hall, Reading a novel, or watching T.V. in my hotel room during con down time.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 10:55:34 pm »
Well, typically if we have time in-between panels, we wander around taking pictures of/with cosplayers, go to the gaming room, the Exhibitor's Hall, or just hang out wherever.
And so it begins...

Offline Randonarnold

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 11:55:36 pm »
Forgot to mention my and my friend had nothing to do at Sakura-Con, so we watched people play Rock Band. Then later on we joined in, it was so much fun. I think I might try to sneak a few rounds of Rock Band in on down time.

Offline dustyphoenix

• Oni
    • Facebook
    • Thedustyphoenix
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:35 am »
This year my boyfriend (The Free Hugs guy aka the 10 year old with the beard) and I spent alot of time playing in the glomp circle in the park.  Awesome times!

Offline Hacchan

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 03:31:54 pm »
Karaoke room, glomp circle, or volunteering~

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 07:25:59 pm »
i went to the karaoke panel, stood beside the full scale window-- and posted a "uke for sale" sign while acting that i'm some kind of pet for sale on passing cosplayers--
it went on for 2 hours!!!!

it was so fun~!!!

then later i found out it was not allowed to do that coz of past issues in the con... sorry bout that XD
i think i gave passerbys some entertainment tho...
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Zen

• Cabbit
    • Teh Facebook
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 11:54:43 pm »
This was the first year I even started drinking at the con and I gotta say I don't know why I didn't start doing this sooner. Not only did it help me relax and not make me come across so much as a creepy guy but it just sorta made everything else that much more enjoyable.
"The World... Yes! Seek freedom, and your world will stand stretched out before your eyes. If the endless dream guides your spirits. Conquer it! Bear Conviction behind your flag!"

-Former Pirate King, Gol D. Roger

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 12:53:07 am »
Like most people, I get food!

The rest of the time, mostly in the mornings, I chose to go do a walk through with my camera or upload something back at the hotel room.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline benjamin.riker@oit.edu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:09 am »
Bored you say? have free time? Staff the con and all your problems go away!
yes. i do know the squareroot of pie by heart... and pie minus the squareroot of pie...
yojimbo

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 02:00:44 pm »
This was the first year I even started drinking at the con and I gotta say I don't know why I didn't start doing this sooner. Not only did it help me relax and not make me come across so much as a creepy guy but it just sorta made everything else that much more enjoyable.

If you do it outside conspace and you're old enough, no harm... but please be aware that drinking or being drunk in conspace can get you in trouble.
http://www.kumoricon.org/policies
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »
If your bored at con, please stop by the info desk and let them know :) they will be more then happy to get some volunteers to help staff the con
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 11:27:23 pm »
If your bored at con, please stop by the info desk and let them know :) they will be more then happy to get some volunteers to help staff the con

well i was kinda bored coz i went alone in the con, but if ever i get to go alone again next year, i'll make sure to volunteer =w=
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline XxBelovedxSoubixX

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 12:13:03 am »
This year when ever me and my girlfriend were bored we did the scavenger hunt. It was fun and still felt like you weren't just wasting time. :3

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
It was my first con so I didn't really have any bored time. During down time though, my friend and I basically sat/rested in the upper balcony to fix costume stuff and I was taking pictures wherever and whenever I could. The only time I had to wait in line was the 18+ slightly anime dating game so while hanging out in line I talked to the people next to me... eventually the guy cosplaying as Spock wanted to caramell dance so after a couple minutes of that I realized I had my PSP with me with the mp3  of Caramell dansen so even though it was 3 or 4 people and the speakers couldn't drown out the outside noise very well, it was still fun. I'm sure by now the caramell dance craze has gotten monotonous to a lot of con-goers too, but it was my first con and I never get tired of that song.

Oh yeah, the only time we ate was at the end of the day... had to actually remember to eat, which was MUCH easier after finding the plaid pantry.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 08:35:39 am »
When I wasn't in a class or panel/event I played cosplay bingo.  I got a black out this year and 7 dragonball pins for my new Kcon messenger bag.