Author Topic: An idea re: dealer hall  (Read 8613 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
An idea re: dealer hall
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »
Since the current one seems to be in doubt, how about we have our own? Not during the con, but perhaps at MiniCon? Or even just independently?

We could raise some money, rent out a school gym or something, and do our thang. Have costumes and perhaps some music, and make a whole bazaar out of it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:09:17 pm by kalagei »

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Re: An idea re: dealer hall
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:43:23 pm »
It's a nice idea, but personally I'm more offended that vendors were chosen already and the ones that weren't didn't even get an email saying "Hey, sorry we couldn't select you but thank you for taking the time to apply."

My group hasn't registered, now we have to pay extra for badges IF we even want to go, we can't apply for artist's alley now because again, it's down to weeks before con.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:57 pm »
Yeah, it really is. I'm trying to wiggle in, but honestly this is absurd. Especially since it all happened entirely without notice. Couldn't other conventions at least have booths elsewhere, like maybe around the info booth or something? Heck, do they even need a full booth? Attending a convention isn't like buying a figurine--you have to commit not only money but time. Anyone signing up will have already planned to do so, so one would think they could combine other cons into a rep or two each who share a booth with another con.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 03:12:51 am »
If you guys can make an out-of-con bazaar work, please let me (and everyone else) know? I've seen it done up here in Seattle (Tacoma, actually) in years past and it was a LOT of fun. It combined all the best parts of artists' alley, and to some extent the con as a whole, all in one night. It'd be more than worth driving down from Seattle for.

Suggestion: Churches, American Legions, community centers, etc might be a great start... if you charge $5 admission to visitors and $20 per table to sellers, hopefully you'd be able to make up the hall rental with that alone.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 03:30:20 am »
That sounds awesome indeed. There could even be contests and such. Maybe not just for attendees--perhaps they could vote on vendor prizes too!

Oh golly. Well, where would a good location for everyone be? Is Portland area ok? Anyone have any specific thoughts on where we can have it? It would have to be easily accessable for as many people as possible, so lots of parking nearby, near transit, handicap accessable, etc.

Do you all think that having it in late September/early October would be too quick or could we pull something together in that time? Because if we decide now, we can see if we can advertise it at con. At least at the Info Booth or something.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:17 am »
I am totally for this. I think it would be a great chance for people to bring stuff they have and try to sell it. I would even bring some of my own things to sell.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:59 am »
Have any ideas on location? I really need ideas soon because, as I said, I want to get this at least started with enough details by Kcon that we can advertise it there.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:08:38 am »
The park might work, other then that I don't know anywhere else.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 04:16:27 am »
Oh, I don't mean during the convention. I mean at some other time, like a bazaar somewhere. I suggested linking it with Minicon, but I'm not sure if that even happens any more. It's usually around Halloween, right?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:25:59 am »
Yeah I haven't seen a mini con since 09. Any public space should be fine. The waterfront might work. It is big so we wouldn't be taking up a lot of space. One thing I would check is to see if there are any laws about selling stuff. Then again I guess it would be selling within a group rather than to others outside of that group.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:02 pm »
If you decide on a park, you are going to have to think about the following: 
  • Is there a fee for renting the space? (it's not a like a casual meet-up... you are wanting to set up space to sell stuff)
  • Will they require a business license?
  • What will you do if it rains? (C'mon, it's Portland..)
  • If there is a fee for space, and you want to charge admission, will it be allowed?  Also, if you are charging for dealer's space, what are you going to do if someone comes in and sets up without paying?

If you opt for an indoor space, you will have similar issues:
  • How much for the space?  Some places have different fees, based on whether you are a non-profit or for profit, which can be more expensive.  And you will have pay the fee to reserve the space, so you will need it upfront.
  • Will the space require you to have some kind of event insurance?

For both, you will have to take into consideration location.  Is it reachable via public transportation, or do you need a car?  Is there available parking for people who do drive (especially if you are having to bring a bunch of stuff in.)  Also, if have it in Washington, you need to keep sales tax in mind.

I am not trying to dissuade you from trying this... if you can make it work, it could be really cool.  All I am saying, there is a lot of things you need to take into consideration to make it work.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 01:01:36 pm »
If you notice, I was taking most of those things into account when I was asking for ideas on locations. Pretty much the only thing you mention that I didn't was event insurance.

And...there still haven't been any suggestions. I really don't know where someone could hold an event like this other than "a school gym", and there are tons of schools around.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:15 am »
Well, I know that Clark College offers the opportunity for things like this.  It would probably be best to wait until the Fall quarter starts before looking into getting some space.  Plus, there's a vendor's fair that usually occurs once a quarter; I'm sure that this could be a prime opportunity to utilize their space.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 01:33:38 am »
Ooh, could be. But that might be tricky with transportation from Portland. It seems like it's better to take C-tran into Portland than Trimet into Vancouver.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:47 am »
^ Well, as far as I know, Tri-Met doesn't have a bus going into Vancouver anymore, so you'd have to take a C-Tran that's in Portland back to Vancouver.  I see what you mean, though.  Perhaps Portland Community College or Portland State University has something similar they could offer...?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:20:25 pm »
Hmm, maybe. PSU would probably be better...does PCC even HAVE a central downtown location? I know they have one up north, and some outlets in various places, but like one that would suffice for our purposes.

How much did it cost to rent for Minicon?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:30 am »
Minicon was a joint effort between us, PSU Anime Club and Random Select. Since the clubs were the ones to obtain the space we did not have to pay for it.... that is how we were able to run a mini-con at no charge to the attendees (and one of the reasons we haven't done one for awhile.. space is harder to come by anymore.)

You would have to contact a school club in order to see if it is feasible.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 06:55:44 am »
This is also why I suggested Clark; our anime club has helped to host things for Kumoricon in the past before.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:30:55 am »
Hmm. Do any of you have ins at any Portland anime clubs at schools?

Really, Clark would be very un-feasable for people who depend on public transit from Portland.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 10:16:50 pm »
Well guys, I haven't heard back from anyone yet. Does anyone have any more reliable sources or anything?

Come on, it can't be THAT hard to arrange something like this! But remember, we ARE working on a deadline to get information organized.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:09:51 am »
Hmm. Do any of you have ins at any Portland anime clubs at schools?

Really, Clark would be very un-feasable for people who depend on public transit from Portland.

I don't; sorry.  And I don't think it'd be unfeasable.  If they can get to  Portland line, then it shouldn't be difficult to get to Vancouver.  $1.55 for a single ride (going up to $1.60 on Sept. 1) is not unfeasable.  If I can pay $2 for a Tri-met pass, Portlanders ought to be able to pay $1.55 for Vancouver.

As for the time crunch, Clark would be a better off option during the Fall.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:43 pm »
I'm not talking about payment. I'm talking about how Portland-To-Vancouver transport seems to be almost nonexistant, especially on the weekends.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 04:12:11 pm »
To be honest, with all of the people planning for the con at hand, this would be a much better idea to discuss this after the con is over.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »
As I've stated, I want to have this planned by con time so it can be advertised there.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 12:01:12 am »
That is understood.  But Bresslol is right... most people are prepping for con, and are not thinking about this.

School is in summer session, so the odds of getting a contact and securing space at one of the local colleges are slim.  As Washougal_Otaku said, fall would be a better option.

If you are set on having this settled by con, then you are going to have to do some calling around to locate a venue.  Parks have been mentioned, as have schools (but you run into the "fall may be a better time to contact" again), churches and/or grange halls.  You can do online searches for rentable space (event centers, community halls, etc.).

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 09:16:50 am »
Come on, it can't be THAT hard to arrange something like this! But remember, we ARE working on a deadline to get information organized.

Maybe it is that hard to arrange something like this?  I know for k-con, and for other mini events a lot of hard work is put into them
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »
That is understood.  But Bresslol is right... most people are prepping for con, and are not thinking about this.

School is in summer session, so the odds of getting a contact and securing space at one of the local colleges are slim.  As Washougal_Otaku said, fall would be a better option.

If you are set on having this settled by con, then you are going to have to do some calling around to locate a venue.  Parks have been mentioned, as have schools (but you run into the "fall may be a better time to contact" again), churches and/or grange halls.  You can do online searches for rentable space (event centers, community halls, etc.).

Not to mention, booking so close in advance is likely going to cost you (and prospective vendors) more money. From an entirely logistical standpoint, you're way better off planning this AFTER the convention. Plus, on the chance you do finagle something together, it's highly unlikely that, unless it's like a block or two away, you're going to get anybody to show up, as most people are wont to stay at or near the convention than adventure out.

We're not saying these things to stymie you from your efforts, we're just trying to put it forth that it's not a logistically or financially wise option to do this concurrent with the convention.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
I'd be more then willing to go to something like this, just not any time soon. To tell you the truth, me, and possibly most of the people going to Kumoricon, are going to be pretty much broke for a while after the con. I'd be more then happy to go to something like this in October, November, or December though. I think it's just much to close to Kumoricon right now for people to start thinking of anything else besides Kumoricon and Kumoricon alone. Plus the staff would be able to give you much more attention to this once all of the stress and crazyness of Kumoricon is over with.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »
I think an important point might have been missed: Blackjack's not saying that she wants to run it during the con, she just wants to be able to advertise it during con.

~~~

That's a smart goal if you can make it in time, but keep in mind that the cheaper venues often have an application process that can take a while. And the people who might be able to give the best advice are crazy busy right now and getting crazier.

Even if you have trouble locating your venue in time, you can still advertise... To make up an example, instead of "November 13, 2011 at Miyavi Park", your flyers could say (just for instance) "Planned for mid-November 2011, check xyzpdq.com for details!"
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 07:15:53 am »
I'm not talking about payment. I'm talking about how Portland-To-Vancouver transport seems to be almost nonexistant, especially on the weekends.

But it's not.  Even though there is no TriMet line going into Clark County, there are several C-Tran lines going down into Portland.  As for the weekends, there is only one that I can think of, and it runs every 20-ish minutes on Saturdays and about 30 minutes on Sundays. 

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 01:57:04 pm »
I think an important point might have been missed: Blackjack's not saying that she wants to run it during the con, she just wants to be able to advertise it during con.

Yeah. I've said that like a billion times. Do people really have that much difficulty understanding me when I say things flat out? I've gotten the impression that people don't really read what I say, given that I'm fairly direct and yet people STILL misread me. I don't know how much more obvious I can be that it's NOT going to be held at the same time as con than saying "I want to have this planned by con time so I can advertise there".

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 02:22:00 pm »
I've read what you have said.  You expressed frustration that other people weren't doing more to help with information and such.
  Sadly sometimes if you want to get something done you have to do it yourself
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »
I've been doing that. I've sent out calls, emails, etc to various people and haven't gotten a single reply.